The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Would the general public look more kindly on the McCanns if they came clean?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would the general public look more kindly on the McCanns if they came clean?

Post by bristow on 15.02.12 13:09

How would you feel if the McCanns suddenly admitted full responsibility for the disappearance of their daughter, be it a terrible accident in the apartment leading to the demise of Madeleine or any other scenario?
Would you admire them for coming clean or would it make you despise them for not being truthful early on in the case?
I wonder if they would have a lesser sentence too, how would it work after all this time, especially as there are other siblings to consider?

(Obviously this is a hypothetical situation and I'm not making accusations about anyone.)

bristow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Would the general public look more kindly on the McCanns if they came clean?

Post by Guest on 15.02.12 14:00

I would be relieved and that would be the end of it for me. Onto the next case.

Back to top Go down

Re: Would the general public look more kindly on the McCanns if they came clean?

Post by jd on 15.02.12 14:48

This is a good question Bristow. For me it would depend on the damage they will have left in their wake and what lives they have ruined that could never be the same again. I would have admired them at the start, but now 5 years down the line after all that they have done...I think I want to crush them into prison forever & the clowns protecting them, leaving no stone unturned

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 15.02.12 15:09

If they had worked with the police, answered all questions with 100% truth and taken whatever the punishment was I would have admired them for there honesty in the face of ruination.

If they were to do so now I would think it was just damage limitation and nothing to do with Madeleine just their own sorry skins.

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 15.02.12 15:15

@Nina wrote:If they had worked with the police, answered all questions with 100% truth and taken whatever the punishment was I would have admired them for there honesty in the face of ruination.

If they were to do so now I would think it was just damage limitation and nothing to do with Madeleine just their own sorry skins.

I think it's far too late now. Far too many people would feel cheated and indeed be right about that. They can never risk 'coming clean', imo they'd be unable to live in the UK after that.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 15.02.12 15:16

any one who takes a childs life by accident of other deserves nothing, apart from a very long long time in jail.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 15.02.12 15:26

@jd wrote:This is a good question Bristow. For me it would depend on the damage they will have left in their wake and what lives they have ruined that could never be the same again. I would have admired them at the start, but now 5 years down the line after all that they have done...I think I want to crush them into prison forever & the clowns protecting them, leaving no stone unturned
100% unequivocally agree jd. HAD it truly been an accident that they admitted to at the time, I'm certain 99% of the public wouldve forgiven AND had sympathy. Despite what the Pro's try and say about us, I'm not heartless (quite the opposite - that's why I still want justice for a forgotten three year old innocent) and I'm sure most of us are the same.
Its the sheer numbers of people they've blatantly conned, not to mention the hate-filled way they've tried to destroy Goncalo, Tony, Pat and anyone they see as a threat... That for me is unforgivable. Prison is the only place I'd be happy to see them.
The general public wouldve forgiven, but I think the backlash would be huge now. Kids have raided piggy banks, pensioners have left bars off their heaters to send money to 'poor Kate and Gerry'... No, they are five years too late for absolution and forgiveness, IMHO

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 15.02.12 17:04

If they had said at the time 'Our daughter is missing and we were negligent. Never neglect your children like we did - the price is too high', then I would have thought 'poor devils, they've got to live with their stupidity' and would have been sympathetic.

But as it is, the shutters were jemmied, oh no they weren't, the door was unlocked, but it didn't matter because it was only like dining in your back garden, and we all leave our children under 4 alone at night, don't we? Besides which, it's everyone else's fault, the person on the desk recording that they were leaving the children unattended, Amiral's fault, so he must be sued to the point of ruin, ditto Tony Bennett, etc, etc, etc,.

Then no, faced with all that, I find it difficult to remain sympathetic.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15.02.12 17:26

Speaking generally about anyone who has done dreadful things in an effort to cover up something that was not intended, I would feel a lot more charitable towards them if they came clean and did their best to right the wrongs they have done to those who questioned the original story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 15.02.12 17:28

@Miraflores wrote:If they had said at the time 'Our daughter is missing and we were negligent. Never neglect your children like we did - the price is too high', then I would have thought 'poor devils, they've got to live with their stupidity' and would have been sympathetic.

100% agree with this point.

If they "came clean" now, My God they would be the most hated people on the planet. In this imaginary scenario think of the wake of disaster they would have left behind them, what this would have cost various people:

1) Think how much money and hassle they costed the Portugese authorities and residents,
2) the damage to Murat
3) Brian Kennedy's funding
4) British public donations and book purchases
5) British taxpayer in terms of the review
6) Newspaper payouts
7) Ruined the twins lives
8) Damage to wider family
9) Amaral and Tony
10) All the interview and talk shows
11) Travelling to Pope, USA and elsewhere sticking their beak into anything they fancy
12) All those people who have been discussed in connection to the case (many have in effect lost their privacy and we are all to blame in away for that)

There would be such far reaching implications, all the costs to the Portugese (biggest manhunt ever for them) , LP, taxpayers, public and media, the total must be somewhere near 20mill all added up.

If they ever confessed taking into account all the other associated crimes of fraud, wasting police time, their own defamation of many people and so forth, they'd get life with no parole!!

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 15.02.12 17:46

@rainbow-fairy wrote:Snip... No, they are five years too late for absolution and forgiveness, IMHO
Not sure about that. They went to church fairly quickly after the incident was reported, and in their world a couple of Hail Marys and a Paternoster is sufficient for absolution.
Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis (suspensionis) et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Or in English, since apparently God doesn't speak Latin any more..
May our Lord Jesus Christ absolve you; and by His authority I absolve you from every bond of excommunication and interdict, so far as my power allows and your needs require. Thereupon, I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

And that is it. They are now free to leave and go jogging again. Look at their faces when they come out of church.

Looks like absolute certainty of absolution to me.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on 15.02.12 18:18

I would certainly not look upon them too kindly, simply because of all the lives they have ruined.

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on 15.02.12 18:20

@PeterMac wrote:Look at their faces when they come out of church.

There could, of course, be another explanation for this..........

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anil39200 on 15.02.12 19:03

I agree with PeterMac, that they believe they have been absolved of whatever they believe happened. Their subsequent glowing pictures seem to attest to that though their public performances still show some anxiety, some arrogance, irritability and now, weariness, which seems to paint a different picture. Their ability to compartmentalise and disengage seems to allow them to 'move on' from the events at pdl and on with the 'wider agenda'.

However I must ask a favour. I am just getting over a period of illness so please, please can you not put the horrific pictures of them jogging with all that hair and flesh again as I may have a relapse. Not a sight for the squeamish imho.Wink thanks.

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anil39200 on 15.02.12 19:12

Sorry, forgot to say. Don't think the general public are that really bothered.60,000,000 plus population, how many lives really touched by it. Only a real minority on either pro or anti abduction, imo, many other children gone missing since, most people have just, erm, you. Know, sort of moved on, just moved on. Imhho only a few people want justice for the poor forgotten child, against a backdrop of a myriad of other stuff.

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on 15.02.12 19:24

@anil39200 wrote:Ithey believe they have been absolved of whatever they believe happened.

If they are what I think they are, I doubt that they ever felt they needed to be absolved of anything. There's a quote from a you-know-what in Dr Robert Hare's book, Without Conscience, which seems to sum up the mental world their kind live in: "....how did you feel the last time you squashed a bug?"

They're very good at one thing though, and that's having a eye to the main chance.

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anil39200 on 15.02.12 20:05

@puzzled wrote:
@anil39200 wrote:Ithey believe they have been absolved of whatever they believe happened.

If they are what I think they are, I doubt that they ever felt they needed to be absolved of anything. There's a quote from a you-know-what in Dr Robert Hare's book, Without Conscience, which seems to sum up the mental world their kind live in: "....how did you feel the last time you squashed a bug?"

They're very good at one thing though, and that's having a eye to the main chance.

That, puzzled, is an excellent point. However, the appearance of being devout, allows for the appearance and subsequent acceptance by the majority, of absolution. Of course, to the absolved, it becomes like a clean slate, because God did it. That erm, would be the same God that Dr K, was cross with for not answering her prayers. Bless, erm, or not!

anil39200

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 15.02.12 23:12

@PeterMac wrote:
@rainbow-fairy wrote:Snip... No, they are five years too late for absolution and forgiveness, IMHO
Not sure about that. They went to church fairly quickly after the incident was reported, and in their world a couple of Hail Marys and a Paternoster is sufficient for absolution.
Dominus noster Jesus Christus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis (suspensionis) et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges. Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Or in English, since apparently God doesn't speak Latin any more..
May our Lord Jesus Christ absolve you; and by His authority I absolve you from every bond of excommunication and interdict, so far as my power allows and your needs require. Thereupon, I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

And that is it. They are now free to leave and go jogging again. Look at their faces when they come out of church.

Great post - Have never understood how a 'modern' countries religion has managed to keep this absolution thing going in the 20th century

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 16.02.12 4:40

@puzzled wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Look at their faces when they come out of church.

There could, of course, be another explanation for this..........

Tin hat on:
It's hard to resist certain angle when you look at them laughing and jogging as if nothing traumatic had happened. Looking at those images one would be forgiven to think they were on something hence oblivious because they were up and away in the cloud.

Seriously, when one combines this with their first PI company hire where a senior business partner was charged with crime of drugs smuggling, one is left wondering, who is the real mover and shaker, and what is the common "factor" that bonds the main players together.

IMO, to get to the bottom of it all, the Yard would be better off if they were to determine who is mover and shaker and reasons behind their mysterious actions, and find out where the evidence points to, then work it backwards to solve the mystery. Once the support comes unstuck then the house will collapse.

Anyway, it's too late for public redemption of any kind for the mcccanns.
Not after 5-year of their relentless charade when they could have put a stop to it when the case was shelved.
Too many people were ruined, and tax-payers money wasted on a lie.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 16.02.12 7:30

The religious fervour was the 'get out of jail free' card in this game of Monopoly. Imo they have no consciences that need easing, but how could we not forgive them their trespass if the highest authority had done so?
In Kate's Diary she even blames God, it was therefore clearly an 'Act of God' and their small trespass of leaving children alone was as nothing compared to God allowing a paedophile to steal their child.
It stands to reason therefore that God would readily forgive them - entirely his fault anyway.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum