The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Off Topic - Whitney Houston Dies.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off Topic - Whitney Houston Dies.....

Post by HiDeHo on 12.02.12 1:27

Off Topic

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/whitney-houston-superstar-records-films-dies-15565063

Whitney Houston, Superstar of Records, Films, Dies

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY AP Music Writer
LOS ANGELES February 12, 2012 (AP)

Whitney Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/02/whitney-houston-died-beverly-hills.html
Singer Whitney Houston died Saturday in Beverly Hills, according to law enforcement sources.

Authorities are trying to determine a cause of death. [Updated at 5:46 p.m.: She was found in the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where emergency medical personnel were called sometime Saturday, said the sources, who asked to remain anonymous because the investigation is ongoing.]

Houston, 48, was in the Los Angeles area for a musical tribute to music executive Clive Davis and had performed and spoken to reporters earlier in the week.

HiDeHo
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Off Topic - Whitney Houston Dies.....

Post by jd on 12.02.12 1:42

Oh no...This is a terrible shock

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 12.02.12 3:24

How sad - I am shocked as well. sad

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UDA on 12.02.12 3:48

May your soul rest in peace.
Incradibable voice you have.

UDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 12.02.12 4:45

The price of fame, money, and celebrity status. Sad.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.02.12 9:16

Back to top Go down

Post by Upsy Daisy on 12.02.12 9:19

Very shocking news. I am/was a singer and I grew up on Whitney Houston albums, hairbrush, mirror, permed hair, etc....she was a legend. Sad for her daughter, only 18 years old, just at the start of adulthood, losing her Mum who by all accounts had a badly addictive personality. Such a tragedy.

Upsy Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 12.02.12 13:03

Awoke to this sad news via pm. What a big loss to music.
Truly hope you're at peace now Whitney xxx

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 12.02.12 15:18

DM latest update, drowned in the bath after taking prescription drugs, close to bankruptcy having spent it all on cocaine, and so on.
(Am I alone in finding "I will always love you" one of the most irritating songs of all time. 3 notes repeated at full volume for hours.)

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That Marmite song (love it or hate it)

Post by Guest on 12.02.12 15:26

Yes I have to agree with PeterMac that Whitney's version was hard on the ears. I prefer the original by Dolly Parton who wrote it about the break-up of her professional (and possibly personal) relationship with Porter Wagoner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBLJIcaVC1w&ob=av3n

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 12.02.12 16:53

Neil McCormick in the Telegraph
"When we mourn the loss of Whitney Houston, we don’t mourn the loss of talent, because the talent was already gone."

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 12.02.12 17:15

Jean wrote:Yes I have to agree with PeterMac that Whitney's version was hard on the ears. I prefer the original by Dolly Parton who wrote it about the break-up of her professional (and possibly personal) relationship with Porter Wagoner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBLJIcaVC1w&ob=av3n
First just to say, poor Whitney, what a sad end to a life - alone in a hotel, drowning in the bath Sad One of my musical heroes, Jim Morrison (The Doors) allegedly dies in the bathtub of his Parisian apartment. He had also become bloated and wrecked through drink, drugs and excess. So sad Sad
Have to agree about the song! I was working in a plastics factory when it was released and Radio One was always on the tannoy. So you can imagine how many times we heard it! The guys in the Cutting Dept would start it off, a mass 'cats choir' of warbling and screeching. Competition to see who could 'hit' (if that's the right word!?!) the high notes (the more off-key the better). In time the whole factory would join in! Oh Jean, you wouldve hated that!
My personal fave is 'Saving All my Love For You' - I was 11 and it was playing when my Mum broke it to me that my friend, 12, had passed away. I still get chills and often weep when I hear it. So emotional (there really was no pun intended there, either! Wink)

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Top of the Hate Parade

Post by Guest on 12.02.12 17:42

I'm going to start a separate topic on suggestions for songs that drive you up the wall.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 12.02.12 18:32

Jean wrote:I'm going to start a separate topic on suggestions for songs that drive you up the wall.

Please start it with Everything I Do...Bryan Adams...I'm scraping my nails down a blackboard right now.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Memory Lane of songs you'd be happy never to hear again

Post by Guest on 12.02.12 18:39

New topic as above has been started.

Back to top Go down

no sympathy

Post by frank zappa on 12.02.12 22:40

The use of drink and drugs are a personal choice. I have not one ounce of sympathy.

frank zappa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 12.02.12 23:19

Agreed, sadly.
There is a list of "Stars" who were lauded and praised and rewarded way beyond their actual talent.
Did they realise this, and turn to drugs, performance over vocality, ever more bizarre costume and make-up, and so on, in an attempt to block out the reality ?
I would include Jackson and Winehouse in that list.
We now see several performers who feel the need to thrust their barely covered crotches in our faces.
Why don't they just SING.
Or perhaps, if they actually tried .....

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 13.02.12 0:37

I see both Whitney and Amy both tremendous talented singers with a real passion for their art and beautiful women. Their downfall was the man they fell in love with, who were nothings and thought it was big to be into drugs and alcohol and got to their weak side. Bobby Brown was nothing compared to Whitney in both the talent and humane stakes. Yes you can say they shouldn't have listened to their husbands but in reality we are all influenced by our partners & emotions come into it, its normal. And addiction is one of the worst enemies of life. If they had a partner who really loved them then they would still be alive imo, this is the truth of it. Someone who was focused on their exceptional talents instead of playing the high life on drugs and alcohol whilst using their names to promote their own self egos while they were at it. Amy found the right one in the end but she was too far down the line in the addiction and couldn't escape from it, like Whitney. So sad to see 2 beautiful talented women die so young when with a real partner they would be releasing albums now and living what would have made them truly happy in themselves...whether their music was to your taste or not

RIP in Whitney and Amy

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 13.02.12 22:03

I was no great fan of Whitney, not really my taste. (not really into any 'superstars/divas') I still feel sadness over her death though & sympathy/empathy for her loved ones - especially her teenage daughter.

Sorry JD I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think the blame lies with her husband. We are all ultimately responsible for ourselves, that's the bottom line. Ok, he perhaps wasn't the best 'husband material' but even if she had chosen someone who loved & supported her truly madly deeply, if her (demons) addiction was so strong her death would still be inevitable. She also had the choice of the best rehabs/professional care that money could buy. Not to mention a beautiful teenage daughter that probably idolised her. None of this could save her. Only she could have done that by sorting out her underlying issues. Her issues, not his.

Hope you don't think I'm waffling here but I was (once) a fully qualified alcohol/drugs counsellor & also did a lot of work both professionally & voluntary with people with addiction problems. I attended far too many funerals in that period, often surrounded by the devastated family of the loved one they couldn't save.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.02.12 22:23

Yes I agree with you there Daisy.

I can understand those who have no sympathy for someone who chooses to waste their life in this way. However I do feel that some people have addictive personalities and they cannot help getting themselves into bad situations which others would avoid.

There is a partner of a member of my family like this; alcoholic, schizophrenic and a drug user whenever she can get her hands on some. There are times when I dread answering the phone, for fear of what she might have done or if her partner who also has mental health issues has cracked under the strain.

I can only hope that one day soon she will decide that enough is enough and to seek help.

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on 13.02.12 22:33

@frank zappa wrote:The use of drink and drugs are a personal choice. I have not one ounce of sympathy.

I more or less agree, though it's always sad when someone throws their life away when they could still have had a lot to live for.

I noticed two deaths due to ketamine were in the news yesterday, too.

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 13.02.12 22:45

@Daisy wrote:I was no great fan of Whitney, not really my taste. (not really into any 'superstars/divas') I still feel sadness over her death though & sympathy/empathy for her loved ones - especially her teenage daughter.

Sorry JD I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think the blame lies with her husband. We are all ultimately responsible for ourselves, that's the bottom line. Ok, he perhaps wasn't the best 'husband material' but even if she had chosen someone who loved & supported her truly madly deeply, if her (demons) addiction was so strong her death would still be inevitable. She also had the choice of the best rehabs/professional care that money could buy. Not to mention a beautiful teenage daughter that probably idolised her. None of this could save her. Only she could have done that by sorting out her underlying issues. Her issues, not his.

Hope you don't think I'm waffling here but I was (once) a fully qualified alcohol/drugs counsellor & also did a lot of work both professionally & voluntary with people with addiction problems. I attended far too many funerals in that period, often surrounded by the devastated family of the loved one they couldn't save.

I agree with you Daisy. I just hate to see talented people go to waste like this and die so young with so much to live for & to give. Whitney totally changed when she got with Bobby Brown and it was then she got into the drink and alcohol addiction which destroyed her in the end. But as the saying goes, you can't help who you fall in love with

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 14.02.12 0:14

@jd wrote:

I agree with you Daisy. I just hate to see talented people go to waste like this and die so young with so much to live for & to give. Whitney totally changed when she got with Bobby Brown and it was then she got into the drink and alcohol addiction which destroyed her in the end. But as the saying goes, you can't help who you fall in love with[/quote]

I hate to see it too JD and I know where you're coming from, her downfall did seem to begin with her relationship with Bobby Brown, but if her relationship with herself had been in order she wouldn't have abused herself the way she did, bless her.

Drugs are a double edged sword imo. What a dull and boring world this would be without them. Controversial? Not at all! So much of the music we listen to (inc classical), the paintings & artwork we admire, the poetry we adore. the books we read, the movies we watch & so much more, come from people under the influence, people who's minds were altered through using drink/drugs. These people wouldn't have produced the works they did in their 'straight mind'. I'm talking throughout the ages here not just over recent decades.

Several of my favourite writers from the romantic era & onwards were drug addicts: Thomas de Quincey author of "Confessions of a Secret Opium Eater" Branwell Bronte, Lord Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Percy Shelley, (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was reportedly inspired from an opium dream) and apparently even Sir Walter Scott it seems was taking copius amounts of laudanum.

Please don't anyone take this as me condoning drug use. I don't, this is just something I think about that stops me judging others. It's not as black or white as it seems.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 14.02.12 2:05

@Daisy wrote:
@jd wrote:

I agree with you Daisy. I just hate to see talented people go to waste like this and die so young with so much to live for & to give. Whitney totally changed when she got with Bobby Brown and it was then she got into the drink and alcohol addiction which destroyed her in the end. But as the saying goes, you can't help who you fall in love with

I hate to see it too JD and I know where you're coming from, her downfall did seem to begin with her relationship with Bobby Brown, but if her relationship with herself had been in order she wouldn't have abused herself the way she did, bless her.

Drugs are a double edged sword imo. What a dull and boring world this would be without them. Controversial? Not at all! So much of the music we listen to (inc classical), the paintings & artwork we admire, the poetry we adore. the books we read, the movies we watch & so much more, come from people under the influence, people who's minds were altered through using drink/drugs. These people wouldn't have produced the works they did in their 'straight mind'. I'm talking throughout the ages here not just over recent decades.

Several of my favourite writers from the romantic era & onwards were drug addicts: Thomas de Quincey author of "Confessions of a Secret Opium Eater" Branwell Bronte, Lord Byron, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Percy Shelley, (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was reportedly inspired from an opium dream) and apparently even Sir Walter Scott it seems was taking copius amounts of laudanum.

Please don't anyone take this as me condoning drug use. I don't, this is just something I think about that stops me judging others. It's not as black or white as it seems.[/quote]
I agree with you both!
Daisy you are right that ultimately it is personal choice but being an ex-drug and alcohol counsellor you will be aware of and I'm sure you've counselled many co-dependent partners? This is what I read jd's op to mean? Those couples who, on their own, have demons and are trouble but together much worse? Sum of parts are bigger than the whole type thing? Amy and Blake and Whitney and Bobby are perfect examples.
So much of our culture is derived from drugs as you say Daisy, I don't think that was a controversial statement, far from it!
I've got one though - legalize all drugs. The 'war on drugs' is as bogus and unwinnable as the 'war on terror'. Its never likely to happen, the general population are resistant and the knee-jerk reaction is that more people would take them. However, there are very good reasons why this is not so. The majority of people who DON'T use drugs of any kind is vanishingly small BUT of those who don't take 'illegal' drugs the top reason isn't the fact they are illegal its because they just don't appeal*. You never stop people doing something by criminalizing it - read up on the American Prohibition... There are far better things we could be spending the money on rather than drug laws that aren't working!
I'll leave it there! Its controversial maybe but then sometimes you have to be Wink
*of all those I know who took drugs from a young age, I'd say maybe 75% stated the fact they WERE illegal is being one of the big attractions - 'rebellion' if you like - sad but true

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum