The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Matthew Oldfield's Rogatory interview - snippets

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Matthew Oldfield's Rogatory interview - snippets

Post by guest. on 31.07.13 18:44

@marconi wrote:
@jd wrote:Over the years there has been many who have said that there was a 10th tapas member, and the one whose identity is being kept hidden and what the coverup is about. But at this point in time it is more internet speculation and so far nothing concrete to support this 10th Tapas member

Imo, Tapas 10 is the one who helped the McCanns to hide the body, some days later or even 24 hs later.  It is the one who knew the resort better, who had a freezer, etc.
Probably he got money from the parents. The body could not stay on the beach for a longer time.

I've always thought there was a 10th tapas but no proof obviously just an opinion

Do you think ROB was dragged in by saying if you don't say you checked on ours we'll get charged with neglect and he agreed on spur of the moment after a drink without thinking through the consequences. That's why JT said about the abductor because by then they realised the consequences of what he'd agreed to.

I've always thought they were the 2 who wanted to change their stories

guest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenMeg on 18.03.14 10:06

@uppatoffee wrote:Saturday - Wednesday

Saturday

“we pulled outside the entrance to the Tapas Bar in the bus and MARK WARNER staff sort of met us and took the luggage and helped us get it up to the room, erm, we must have arrived around lunchtime”
“I think on that first day we popped down to the Supermarket”
“I think we were then unpacking in the rooms when, erm, the rest of the guys arrived and they came in by taxi so they actually pulled into the car park at the back, I remember going out to sort of meet them and say hello to them".
“I think at about four o'clock we also went poolside, four or five o'clock, and that's where you met the Nannies who'd be looking after, you know, the children the next day”
“we all ate that evening at the Millennium with, erm, with the kids, except, erm, expect I was feeling unwell so I didn't each much but I was still at the Restaurant that night".

Sunday
"I didn't do much outside the apartment and certainly in the evening I didn't go for, erm, didn't go for dinner with everybody else". (Ill in apartment)

Monday
"Erm, what I did on Monday, I don't know, I would have tried to get out on the water at some point and I'm sure we'd have played tennis".

Tuesday
"Erm, no, I don't remember anything specific about, about that day. " "I think I'd have gone down there to sail."

Wednesday
"Erm, I remember I went running with Kate at lunchtime, she's quite a good runner...I think it'd be about three or four miles, maybe each way".

“The Wednesday, one of the days I went out with Russell and we just bobbed about on the kayaks because, and I think that was either a Monday or a Tuesday.”

He is incredibly vague and inarticulate about what he has been doing and there are large gaps where he is not accounted for.  
He knows exactly what they were doing - he has just been 'ordered' not to remember and to be very vague.
He is a very weak link and should be focussed on by Op Grange.
Whoever interviewed him just let him get away with this... they need shooting

HelenMeg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 18.03.14 12:15

Technical problems, being allowed to make reference to their previous statements (& in O’Brien’s case the statement of JT), the number of leading questions asked, the whole attitude of the Leicester Police to these interviews stinks. As far as I can see, they were not there to glean information & try and trip them up, but merely going through the motions so they could tick the boxes given by the PJ.

Silly question? As the DVD’s were the only recordings of the interviews signed for, (no back-up cassettes or anything?) how were the transcriptions made if these recordings failed? In the introductory bits there is no mention of ‘this is so & so who is here purely to transcribe’ and I can’t imagine the interviewer was in a position to do it accurately.

(Transcripts courtesy of www.mccannfiles.com)

Matthew Oldfield 14.14 Session

Technical problems were experienced during this interview and no data was recorded.

‘I am Detective Constable 4078 (Sophie) FERGUSON of the Leicestershire Constabulary……..
……and I intend to ask fairly open questions and then, as I said earlier, things that haven’t been covered in that process, we will go back and ask more closed questions’.

Russell James O'Brien
was questioned on the 8th of April from 9.55 a.m. until 8.18 p.m., divided into 5 distinct time periods (9.55 – 11.30 a.m., 12.01 – 12.50 a.m., 2.06 – 3.55 p.m., 5.15 – 6.56 p.m., and 7.37 – 8.18 p.m.). Officially, all the video images of this day were rendered useless because the video camera didn't work… which means that Enderby police wants us to believe that, even during pauses, they never verified if the interrogation was being recorded correctly. This was the official version, the one that was offered to the Portuguese authorities. Nevertheless, the truth of facts is different, and Russell O'Brien was questioned again (going through his 8th April statements) on the 10th of April; this time the camera worked.

10th April 2008
‘I suppose the only addition was that, was an explanation of why I, why I would look Jane’s statement.  And that was because there was a reference in my original statement for a period of time that was not covered in my interview.  That would be the only thing that I would have”.
1578    “So that is an addition?”
Reply    “It says, erm, ‘I have been given the opportunity to refresh my memory from the statement made from Jane TANNER’, she is not actually legally my wife we are just, we are just partners, erm, ‘and I’ve been allowed to see the documents’.  I asked to see her document because my original statement to the PJ, erm, made reference, I think for the Monday to the Wednesday especially, to Jane’s and it was not written in any detail in mine.  Does that make sense?’

Frankly, it beggars belief that they could have gone through five interview sessions, with different discs made for each session, if the pattern of the other interviews was being followed & nobody spotted that the camera was not recording.
It's all very well getting ROB back to go through the statement made two days earlier and then filming this, as anything that needed to have been whooshed would by then have gone.  If that included stuff in all five sessions, as opposed to just one in MO’s sessions, what on earth was he actually saying?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18.03.14 12:19

We are JUST partners

Jane, did you hear that?

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.03.14 12:31

@Portia wrote:We are JUST partners

Jane, did you hear that?
And, IMO, coupled with her lack of an 'academic' degree, therein lies the reason for JT being so exceptionally eager to please.

It should be borne in mind that at no time have any of the Tapas 7 been interviewed under caution, and it's not uncommon for witnesses to be allowed to see any previous statements they may have made particularly when considerable time has elapsed between an old and new interview.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 18.03.14 12:50

Her's another example of salient information being discussed outside the recording room at Leicester.

This is the end of Rachael Oldfield's Rog Part  2/2 during which she has not expressed any request of the officer throughout.  (Neither has she stated any such desire in Part 1 - for the record!)

1578 'Okay. We shall finish this interview at this point'.
Reply 'Mmm'.

Or perhaps something is discussed here?  But not recorded in the transcript?

1578 'And I'll go and speak with colleagues'.
Reply 'Okay'.

---------------------------------------------

Rog Part 3/3

1578 'Thank you. This is the third interview of today Rachael, you're here voluntarily as a significant witness, assisting the Portuguese Authorities in the investigation of the disappearance of Madeleine McCANN, which is as you know was on the evening of Thursday the third of May, two thousand and seven. At the end of the last interview, you indicated that you would like to talk about the conversation Jane had with you in respect of her sighting'  
Where exactly did she indicate this? If it was outside the recording you say so. This means that discussions continued off the record, the context and content of which is not available in the transcript of DC GIERC's interview.
Reply 'Mmm erm'.

1578 'Would you like to run through that with us please, tell us precisely, as accurately as possible what Jane told you, firstly when she told you''
Reply 'Mmm mmm'.
1578 'There's, there is one other issue that I need to ask you about, hopefully it won't take too long'.
Reply 'Okay'.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 18.03.14 12:53

UT.

But someone else's statement?

The judge in Portugal was able to kick out the crib sheets.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 18.03.14 12:54

ultimaThule wrote:

It should be borne in mind that at no time have any of the Tapas 7 been interviewed under caution, and it's not uncommon for witnesses to be allowed to see any previous statements they may have made particularly when considerable time has elapsed between an old and new interview.
---------------------------------------------------------

BUT extremely and highly UNUSUAL for a DIFFERENT 'witness' to be 'allowed' to READ OTHER 'witnesses statements' to 'refresh' one's memory BEFORE being 'interviewed' themselves!

ala, R O'B and JT, his 'partner' who SAW 'abduction'

MIGHT even be, imo, ILLEGAL!

eg:

"were you at the robbery scene?"

"er, nope, (name) says i wasn't there, it's in his/her/their 'statement' you just let me read"

"ok, so you weren't there then?"

"um, nope (name) says i wasn't"

"ok"

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 18.03.14 12:59

@jeanmonroe wrote:It should be borne in mind that at no time have any of the Tapas 7 been interviewed under caution, and it's not uncommon for witnesses to be allowed to see any previous statements they may have made particularly when considerable time has elapsed between an old and new interview.
---------------------------------------------------------

BUT extremely and highly UNUSUAL for a DIFFERENT 'witness' to be 'allowed' to READ OTHER 'witnesses statements' to 'refresh' one's memory BEFORE being 'interviewed' themselves!

ala, R O'B and JT, his 'partner' who SAW 'abduction'

MIGHT even be, imo, ILLEGAL!

eg: "were you at the robbery scene?"

"er, nope, (name) says i wasn't there, it's in his/her/their 'statement' you just let me read"

"ok, so you weren't there then?"

"um, nope (name) says i wasn't"

"ok"

I think the interviewing officer's name should be a ref for any rog quotes. Rachael Oldfield was interviewed by DC GIERC

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 18.03.14 13:05

R O'B 'rog'

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id221.html

"I have been given the opportunity to refresh my memory from the statement made by Jane TANNER (my wife) and I have been allowed to see these documents, this was done in the presence of DC 1578 GIERC. I wish to add that Jane’s statement covered our routine from the 28th April 2007-2nd May 2007 quite comprehensively and my original Portuguese statement referred to Jane’s statement, this was therefore a good point of reference for me".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet ANY 'crim' would LOVE to 'be allowed' to see his/her/their 'accomplicies' STATEMENTS, to 'refresh their memory' BEFORE being 'interviewed' about a possible crime.

Would definitely be a good 'reference' point, and invaluable information, to the 'crim' wouldn't it?

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.03.14 15:23

@Doug D wrote:UT.

But someone else's statement?

The judge in Portugal was able to kick out the crib sheets.
No witness should be given access to any statements made by others. 

Wright's crib sheet at the libel trial is another matter entirely and is one that he was rightfully pulled on by the judge who took possession of his notes and had them copied for the court, for the defence and, to what iwas probably her undying shame as it's unlikely she knew what her witness was up to in the dock, for the plaintiffs' counsel Isobel Duarte

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 18.03.14 15:32

@ultimaThule wrote:
Quite so, but from the first day Gerry was allowed to sit behind Kate and squeeze her shoulder whilst she was being interviewed and her first statement taken.

For some ludicrous reason she has told the world this is what happened.
RED FLAG

The officer began with how we came to be in Portugal and then concentrated on the point at which I discovered Madeleine was missing. When he asked me if it was the first time I had been to Portugal I said, ‘Yes. Never again!’ The interpreter turned to me and said, ‘Mrs McCann, this could have happened anywhere.’ She was right, of course, and I was a bit ashamed of that remark, but in the circumstances it was hardly surprising I felt that way at that moment. As I recounted how I’d found Madeleine’s bedclothes neatly folded back my voice faltered. Every now and then Gerry would put a hand on my shoulder or give me a reassuring squeeze.
Physical contact of this sort may be reassuring. It can also be a very effective method of communication.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.03.14 15:40

There's an abundance of those 'reasssuring' squeezes available on youtube for inspection, and on the German version of Crimewatch we saw evidence of how the wee one uses non-verbal techniques to let his spouse know that she's earned his disapproval.  laughat

Eta as has been said many times before, the PJ were far too kind to the McCanns but I'm not convinced they would have been treated any differently at that stage had the crime(s) occurred in the UK.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 18.03.14 15:57

@PeterMac wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:
Quite so, but from the first day Gerry was allowed to sit behind Kate and squeeze her shoulder whilst she was being interviewed and her first statement taken.

RED FLAG

The officer began with how we came to be in Portugal and then concentrated on the point at which I discovered Madeleine was missing. When he asked me if it was the first time I had been to Portugal I said, ‘Yes. Never again!’ The interpreter turned to me and said, ‘Mrs McCann, this could have happened anywhere.’ She was right, of course, and I was a bit ashamed of that remark, but in the circumstances it was hardly surprising I felt that way at that moment. As I recounted how I’d found Madeleine’s bedclothes neatly folded back my voice faltered. Every now and then Gerry would put a hand on my shoulder or give me a reassuring squeeze.
Physical contact of this sort may be reassuring.  It can also be a very effective method of communication.
Taken from McCannfiles, Gerry's blogs

The McCanns were among around ten British people who have been re-interviewed by police in recent days to clarify their statements.
This week some of the witnesses are expected to appear in court behind closed doors to record their evidence before they go back to the UK.
The McCanns themselves are not expected to be asked to take part.
The procedure, known as "memory for the future", means taped statements can be shown during a future trial so the witnesses do not have to return to appear in court.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/

then looking at the rogatory interviews subsequently held in UK, iirc correctly some of the Tapasniks invited were chauffeur driven by UK police. The McCanns were allowed to have questions of their choosing asked in these interviews. David Payne even muttered something about 'this not being the right forum' and the amazing loss of a recording from one of the other Tapasniks 'due to technical failure' of course.

The McCanns weren't expected to take part.

It's amazing that even the Portuguese questioning of Kate allowed GM into the interview room.

No political interference of course!

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.03.14 16:49

Being unfamiliar with Portugal's penal code which, as I understand it, is inquisitorial as opposed to adversarial, I'm not qualified to say whether there is provision for questions from persons of interest/suspects/the accused to be put to witnesses during rogatory or other interviews which may be relied on in court but, given that any such questions would have been approved by the PJ before they were asked by Leicestershire Police, I cannot see any indication that 'political interference' influenced the questions which were asked or the manner in which the interviews were conducted.  

It should also be taken into account that, were this situation to be reversed with a UK police force (authority) making a similar request to one of their European counterparts, it may be considered expedient to include questions from suspects as this may serve to obviate need for those witnesses who are resident outside of the UK to be called to appear in a UK court at considerable expense to the prosecution.

When faced with the task of interviewing a number of witnesses in relation to one case it's not unknown for the police to provide transport as, if nothing else, it ensures that the proceedings are not delayed by any late arrival or last minute cancellation by witnesses. 

With regard to the PJ allowing McCann to sit behind his wife during the course of one of her interviews as I've frequently stated, IMO, the PJ were far too kind to them but, nevertheless, when it came to the interviews which immediately preceeded their being declared arguidos, the PJ took steps to ensure the couple were not in the relevant police station at the same time.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 18.03.14 17:03

@ultimaThule wrote:Being unfamiliar with Portugal's penal code which, as I understand it, is inquisitorial as opposed to adversarial, I'm not qualified to say whether there is provision for questions from persons of interest/suspects/the accused to be put to witnesses during rogatory or other interviews which may be relied on in court but, given that any such questions would have been approved by the PJ before they were asked by Leicestershire Police, I cannot see any indication that 'political interference' influenced the questions which were asked or the manner in which the interviews were conducted.  

It should also be taken into account that, were this situation to be reversed with a UK police force (authority) making a similar request to one of their European counterparts, it may be considered expedient to include questions from suspects as this may serve to obviate need for those witnesses who are resident outside of the UK to be called to appear in a UK court at considerable expense to the prosecution.

When faced with the task of interviewing a number of witnesses in relation to one case it's not unknown for the police to provide transport as, if nothing else, it ensures that the proceedings are not delayed by any late arrival or last minute cancellation by witnesses. 

With regard to the PJ allowing McCann to sit behind his wife during the course of one of her interviews as I've frequently stated, IMO, the PJ were far too kind to them but, nevertheless, when it came to the interviews which immediately preceeded their being declared arguidos, the PJ took steps to ensure the couple were not in the relevant police station at the same time.
UT. Can you explain what 'inquisitorial as opposed to adversarial' means in terms of your understanding of the Portuguese 'penal code' is please? I wasn't even aware that the use of 'penal code' applied anywhere other than USA. I know it sounds a silly question but I have to ask these things as I'm not very bright in these matters.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.03.14 23:28

The UK's court system is adversarial in that in criminal trials the prosecution and the defence, and in civil trials the plaintiff(s) and the resondent(s), compile their evidence and formulate their cases in advance of a trial and present it with their arguments to a judge or jury which plays no active part in the questioning of those who take the stand.

An inquisitorial court system operates in most European and many other countries where a presiding judge is responsible for supervising the gathering of evidence and questions witnesses, including the defendant(s) or respondent(s), with counsel for both sides following the judge's questions with their own.  

For those accustomed to the adversarial system, the inquisitorial process can seem inordinately lengthy as evidenced by comments made with reference to the protracted proceedings of the libel trial.  It also explains why the libel trial hasn't been the boxing match in which some were hoping Dr Amaral would deliver a knock out blow.

Fwiw and from my limited understanding of the Portuguese Civil code, in asking the court to evaulate the Wardship it may be Dr Amaral has succeeded in flooring his opponents, albeit temporarily - in which case it shouldn't be forgotten that time is money as the saying goes.

In predominantly English speaking countries the word 'penal' is more usually applied to the prison system but Portugal, which has three legal codes Constitutional, Civil, and Penal, it refers to criminal law.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 19.03.14 1:18

@russiandoll wrote:I can't believe this even after numerous re-reads

“No, it was just, you could just see the shape and bits of breathing”.

“Okay”.

“I mean, I, for some reason I imagine that the children’s heads were towards the, towards the window, but I don’t know whether that’s just because I assume that’s the way I would put them down”.

“Yeah”.

“Because I’ve seen it.  I don’t think I could see that much, the view”.

“You can’t remember?”

“You could see the shapes and you could see they were breathing, you’d stop and look and you could see they were sort of breathing, but in terms of sort of features and standing over and seeing where their heads were, and I couldn’t say whether it was Sean or Amelie that was closest, it was just sort of, erm, sort of children in cots”.

For me this is such a weak account that any self respecting investigating officer would have probed and probed. 

This is the key to the whole case I think.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 19.03.14 2:27

The rogatory interviews should viewed in the context of Portugal's inquisitorial justice system, Okeydokey.

As I see it, Leicestershire Police were not tasked with interrogating witnesses, as opposed to suspects, and their job was to ask questions as determined by the PJ in order obtain to statements which could be relied on in court, but which do not prohibit further questioning at a later date either by the court or by the police. 

Very few investigating officers posses the forensic linguistic abilities of Hobs and it is often the case that shortcomings and anomalies in witness statements only become apparent when they have been typed up and are available for comparison laid out on a table rather than viewed individually on a screen.  

Even in the UK's adversarial justice system, the police do not solve complex cases of this nature by treating all witnesses as supects;  if they did, it's probable they would be left with reams of questions answered by 'no comment' to put before the court and those who could otherwise have been persuaded to aid the prosecution's case would become hostile witnesses at best. 

It should be remembered that those who have committed crimes have a tendency to convict themselves and part of the art of policing is to make sure they do so.  This feat is not achieved by going in strong from the off, but is most usually effected by the slow process of allowing them to dig their own holes and climb in before investigating officers shovel a ton of dirt on top of them. 

I have no doubt that all of those questions raised by responses to the questions asked in the rogatory interviews will be put to the 7 witnesses in the not too distant future.  In the meantime, I suggest we continue to give thanks to the Portuguese police authoriities for publishing documents which would not be available to us had this crime taken place in the UK.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 19.03.14 12:49

@PeterMac wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

RED FLAG

Physical contact of this sort may be reassuring.  It can also be a very effective method of communication.

In the early days, at the end of one shortish interview where the pair are sitting next to each other, joined at the hip soto speak, kate is talking or it's her turn, Gerry bends over her shoulder and mutters something that has been deciphered as 'Belt up!'.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 19.03.14 13:03

@tigger wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

RED FLAG

In the early days, at the end of one shortish interview where the pair are sitting next to each other, joined at the hip soto speak, kate is talking or it's her turn, Gerry bends over her shoulder and mutters something that has been deciphered as 'Belt up!'.
< joins tigger over garden fence >

Aw, bless... that's Gezza for you, courtly charm personified.  He gets his manners from his family.  Kate certainly took a step down up in the world when she marred him.  Her mother must have been fit to be tied bursting with pride on that fateful happy day.   

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

List of questions set by the PJ

Post by tigger on 08.05.14 11:19

These are the questions set by the PJ in their rogatory letter. I've posted the ones pertaining to Rachel Mampilly in a separate topic.  yes 
Sorry, haven't managed to print this as I wanted:

MATTHEW DAVID OLDFIELD should also be asked the following questions :

Page 99 Mathew Oldfield

c

* During that dinner, on 3rd May, 2007,

were you always sitting at the table ? If not, where did you go ? At what time ? About how long were you absent ? Why ? How many times did you do that ?

* Were you at the McCANN's apartment that night ? Why ? Did you go there voluntarily or did anyone ask you to do it ? At what time did you go there ?

* How did you get into the apartment ? Was the door/window open ? Were the curtains of that door pulled back ? Did you close the door after getting in ? Was it a windy night ? Did you feel a draught of air when you got in ?

* Were there any soft lights on ? What did you immediately see as you got in ? Was the children's bedroom door open ? Was there a light in that bedroom ? Did you notice anything unusual, namely anything concerning the door, the curtains, the window, the shutters or the light in the room ?

* Did you actually see the 3 children ? Did you hear any noise ? Were the curtains waving ? How much time were you inside KATE and GERALD's apartment ? How many rooms did you walk through ?

* How did you get out of the apartment ? Did you close the door ? While you went and came back, did you see anybody, did you hear footsteps or car doors or house doors being locked ? Where did you go to ?

* Did you at any time leave the doors or the windows open, in the Ocean Club's apartment you were staying in with your family ?

* In the days before MADELEINE went missing, did you at any time check on your children ? How often ?

* Who is the user of the mobile phone number 447958XXXXXX, from whom you received the below mentioned SMS text message ? What is the relationship between you and him/her ? After this contact, did anyone reach you personally or by telephone following instructions from the user of this mobile phone ?

(Listed here, are details of an incoming SMS call, dated 4th May, 2007, and timed at 00.08 a.m.)

Page 100 Mathew Oldfield

cr2_100

* Any further questions deemed useful, necessary or pertinent in view of the previous replies.

* And also (questions drawn up by the arguidos (formal suspects).

* For how long have you known Gerald McCann and Kate Healy and what sort of relationship is there between you and the couple ?

* Have you ever been with Gerald McCann and Kate Helay at their home, with their children ? How many times ?

* Have you already spent holidays with them at any other time ? If yes, can you describe the way they took care of their children in the evening / at night ?

* How often did you use to meet Gerald and Kate during the holidays from April 28th, 2007, till May 3rd, 2007 ?

* How often did you use to see their children, Madeleine, Sean and Amelie ?

* Did you at any time feel that there was any reason to be concerned about the children ?

* When was the last time you saw Madeleine ?

* When did you see Gerald and Kate on Thursday, May 3rd, 2007 ?

* At what time did you arrive at the Tapas Restaurant on May 3rd, 2007 ? Who was already there ?

* What were Kate and Gerry doing by the time you arrived ?

* Did you speak to Kate and Gerald ?

* What was their behaviour like ?

* Who left the table during the meal ? Why ?

* Did you see Gerald leaving the table during the meal ? At what time did you see him leaving the table ? About how long was he absent ? What did Gerald say when he came back ? Was he behaving or acting differently when he returned ?

* Did you see Jane leaving the table during the meal ? At what time ? About how long was she absent ? What did Jane say when she came back ? Was she showing any different behaviour or attitude when she returned ?

Page 101 Mathew Oldfield

cr2_101

* Did you see Russell leaving the table during the meal ? At what time ? For how long ? What did Russell say when he returned ? Was he behaving or acting differently when he returned ?

* Did you see Kate leaving the table during the meal ? At what time ? About how long was she absent ? What did Kate say when she got back ? How did she look like ? What was her behaviour like ? Were you shocked by what she said ? What did you do ?

* Did you get into the McCann's apartment ? Did you get into the bedroom where the children were asleep ? Can you describe what you saw ? Did you see the twins ? Did you notice anything unusual about them ?

* What did you do next ? Did you take part in the subsequent searches ? Who were you with ?

* On realising Madeleine had not been found in the first 10 minutes, how did Kate react ?

* On realising Madeleine had not been found in the first 10 minutes, how did Gerald react ?

* What do you think about their behaviour considering that Madeleine had gone missing ?

* What did you do between 10.30 p.m. in the evening to 10.00 a.m. of the following day ? Who did you see ?

* Who did you talk to ?

* When did you leave Portugal ? How many times did you meet Kate and Gerry ? Do you think they were showing a normal behaviour for parents who had lost a child ?

* During the time you were on holidays, did you notice any situation where Kate and Gerry were talking to any unknown person ?

* Did you see Kate and Gerry inside any car during the holiday period ?

* Is there any supplementary explanation that you consider pertinent or relevant to establish the material truth ?

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dr. Roberts with thanks to McCannfiles.com

Post by tigger on 08.05.14 11:51

By Dr Martin Roberts

17 April 2013

THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER

It's no fun being a 'Billy no mates,' especially on holiday. Much better to be sociable and go jogging in company, if that's your thing. It wasn't really Matthew Oldfield's thing though:

"I don't like it, but I quite like it on holiday when it's a bit warmer and it's not so bad on your joints and I quite like running on the beach, because it feels quite sort of Bay Watch and it's kind of Californian." He said, to the interviewing police officer.

Unfortunately for Matthew he drew the short straw. Instead of having Pamela Anderson for company that Wednesday, 2 May, he got Kate McCann:

"Today it rained. The children went to their clubs, but our tennis lessons were postponed. Instead we joined Fiona, David and Dianne at the Millennium restaurant for coffee. We then returned to our apartment and a little while later I left again, to go for a run with Matt." (Kate McCann, in 'Madeleine')

Whose idea was it anyway? Matthew's, the reluctant athlete, who doesn't even like running, much less on the roads and in the rain, or the enthusiastic Kate McCann's? Matthew could not so much as remember who took the initiative:

"...I think Kate might have run most days, because she was quite a keen runner, and it may just be that either I thought I'd go for a run and she was already changed, or I was changed and, or Gerry might have said that, erm, I'm speculating, it may just have been coincidence that we both got into running gear and then decided to run together."

Somehow a 'your guess is as good as mine' answer during a police interview doesn't seem terribly convincing, and even though it appears perfectly reasonable to suppose Kate took the lead on this occasion, there must have been more than an element of chance in their running together. They didn't just bump into each other outside at the Ocean club, both coincidentally changed into running gear. If, as Kate tells us, she returned to her apartment and a little while later left again, to go for a run with Matt, the expedition must have been pre-arranged.

So there is Matthew Oldfield in his running strip, prepared to do something he's not desperately keen on, unless it's on the beach and in the sunshine, about to pound the roads that lunchtime:

"I remember I went running with Kate at lunchtime, she's quite a good runner, and we went out on the road all the way up to the main junc... erm, the sort of main road where you access Praia da Luz from and then back."

It wasn't a comfortable experience for our Matthew (4078 "But you went on this route and are saying you found it quite hard to keep up?") but Kate must have revelled in it, having already softened the glare from her new girly pink trainers with several outings in the PDL sand.

Raised paving stones and pot-holes are like snipers lying in wait for a victim when you're training out on the road. Kate was hit by an anti-personnel device in the form of a dog, apparently.

"As we ran along the promenade, a small dog jumped out from under a bench and attacked my right calf. It was pretty sore and I was a bit shaken, but I carried on as coolly as I could manage."

Funny how Matthew did not recollect this incident during his rogatory interview, Kate having been 'a bit shaken' by it after all. Might that be because he and Kate went running in different directions, and at different times of the day, Kate along the promenade in the morning, before lunch, Matthew away from PDL and back at lunchtime, three to four miles each way? Matthew could of course have kicked off with the beach leg of the route, but then he'd surely have remembered their joint encounter with the dog, even if only by being grateful that it was Kate's leg that was sore after the 'attack' and not his own!

Hospital patients of Matthew Oldfield should breathe a sigh of relief that medical histories/charts are available at the foot of their beds. Trusting in Dr Oldfield's memory could prove disastrous otherwise. He appears not to have one:

4078 "Okay. Right. So, I mean, having said that you had struggled to remember what you did each day, you have done pretty well really so far, you have remembered, for example, that Rachael was unwell all day on the Wednesday, so therefore you had gone for a run with Kate. I am guessing, would that have been when Grace was asleep or?"

"I think that was lunchtime."

4078 "Yeah. Do you remember what you did after your run with Kate?"

Reply "No, because I'd have been on, I'd have been on Grace duty I think that afternoon... (waffle, waffle).

Well we know doctors are accustomed to schedules, but Matthew Oldfield's readiness to keep pace with Kate McCann in this instance is seriously impressive. Three to four miles each way, squeezed into a lunchtime outing on account of a sick wife and a child needing care and supervision back home. ("Grace had loose nappies nearly every day, but until after Madeleine went, erm, disappeared, she was never sick." Is that 'went on her abduction,' Matthew?).

A total of some seven miles, say, plus the time it will have taken for Oldfield to change into, and afterwards out of, his athletic strip. Roger Bannister was himself a medic but I don't think that can be taken to imply that non-runner Dr Matthew Oldfield could get remotely close to the four minute mile, then or now.

And that dog he remembered nothing about. The one that attacked poor Kate from beneath a public bench. Did it leave a mark of any kind? It's hard to see quite why Kate should have been shaken by the experience, and sore, otherwise. It was only a small dog after all. A small creature with teeth and claws that, from a prone position, launched an assault on Kate's anatomy, just a foot or so from the floor. Perhaps, seeing the flailing legs, the dog took it to be an act of self-defence.

unquote

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 08.05.14 17:06

No flies on the PJ, as I posted above, lots of questions for MO - six - one later but five on the trot before that about the apartment:

* Were you at the McCANN's apartment that night ? Why ? Did you go there voluntarily or did anyone ask you to do it ? At what time did you go there ?

* How did you get into the apartment ? Was the door/window open ? Were the curtains of that door pulled back ? Did you close the door after getting in ? Was it a windy night ? Did you feel a draught of air when you got in ?

* Were there any soft lights on ? What did you immediately see as you got in ? Was the children's bedroom door open ? Was there a light in that bedroom ? Did you notice anything unusual, namely anything concerning the door, the curtains, the window, the shutters or the light in the room ?

* Did you actually see the 3 children ? Did you hear any noise ? Were the curtains waving ? How much time were you inside KATE and GERALD's apartment ? How many rooms did you walk through ?

* How did you get out of the apartment ? Did you close the door ? While you went and came back, did you see anybody, did you hear footsteps or car doors or house doors being locked ? Where did you go to ?
Unquote

- and we have to remember that RM was very definite in her statement to the PJ in May 07 that all shutters were closed, including those of the patio doors.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.rob on 08.06.14 15:08

Guest wrote:4078 "What about in the evenings when you were going back to check on Grace, do you recall some of the other people around?"

Reply "No, there'd be rarely, rarely anybody about, maybe an occasional one person. Was he, was it the chap, whose name I can't remember, he had a child who was willing to be part of, or was being suggested for the interview, Jeremy, Jeremy or somebody?"

00.43.49 4078 "Yeah".

Something tells me that O'Donnell and Wilkens must have been the ones, who were going to use their child in the reconstruction. What else could there child be willing to be a part of?

Willing to play a part in a faked abduction plot? Child that was the same age, right gender - one of a group of little girls who, according to Bridget O'Donnell, were all blond, pretty and pink and so all looked the same.

j.rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum