The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

New MOT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New MOT

Post by Pershing36 on 23.01.12 22:11

Will the new MOT rules cost you?

As of January 1, 2012, the Department of Transport has added a series of changes to the MOT criteria to reflect the complexity of modern cars' electronics. From faulty tyre pressure monitoring systems to steering lock checks, the MOT 'pass' criteria is now stricter than it was.
The main changes to the MOT include:

Dashboard

The new MOT test will check the warning lights are working properly for the main beam headlights, power steering, brake fluid, tyre-pressure monitor, air bag, seat belt pre-tensioner, electronic parking brake and electronic stability control, where present.

Basically as new car sales fall we have to keep our used vehicles in brand new condition!!

The speedometer must be complete and fully operational. If the dial glass is broken or the speedometer cannot be illuminated, the car will fail the test.

Lighting

If any of the lights have been modified - with coloured lenses for example - to result in their colour or intensity being altered, your vehicle will also fail.

For vehicles with High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps, a failure will be issued if the HID system doesn't include headlamp cleaning and levelling systems, or if they don't work properly.

Power

A battery which is insecure or leaking electrolyte will result in failure. Also, any visible wiring which is insecure, bared by worn insulation, not properly supported or capable of causing a short will trigger a failure.

A vehicle will fail if it had a catalytic converter which has since been removed, or if it has damaged or chafed fuel pipes.

Steering

Dysfunctional or absent steering locks, where fitted as standard, will now cause the vehicle to fail - as will missing or damaged dust covers and suspension ball joints.

Other extras

The driver's seat fore and aft adjustments, which move the seat forwards and backwards, must be able to be secured in two or three different positions. If the vehicle has electric seats, the motors must be able to move the seat fore and aft.

Doors must be easily opened and closed from the inside and outside. Tow bars must be free from inappropriate repairs or modifications and the airbag must be present and working if it was fitted as standard.

When do I need to make the changes?

The new rules come into play from January 1 but there is an initial grace period of three months. During this time the rules will be treated only as 'advisories', meaning motorists will have until their first MOT after April 1, 2012 to have any of the new listed problems addressed. From that date onward however, breaking one of the rules will result in an immediate MOT fail.[quote][b]

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New MOT

Post by aquila on 23.01.12 22:14

I'm thrilled to not be in UK.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 on 23.01.12 22:24

I was disgusted to read it. New car sales are down by quite a lot so they force more and more measures to make are cars scrap after 3 years. A relatives car had it's first MOT today (3 years old) and the repair bill is over 3k.

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ollie on 23.01.12 22:57

@Pershing36 wrote:I was disgusted to read it. New car sales are down by quite a lot so they force more and more measures to make are cars scrap after 3 years. A relatives car had it's first MOT today (3 years old) and the repair bill is over 3k.

That is extortionate. I would suggest that people check where their nearest bus garage is that carries out MOTs and if it's not to far book it in there for the MOT. Apparently they have to MOT your car if you request it, but as they don't do repairs on private vehicles they will not give you a long list of jobs that don't actually need doing as there is no money in it for them, unlike some garages who are more than happy to part you from your money.

Ollie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 on 23.01.12 23:07

Bus garages are not what they use to be, lots are contracted out now and left in the hands of curb side auto's. I have loads on garages I would love to expose, like the 'good Schemes' that only require them to by lubricants from them to be a member. No checks and garages are free and often encourage to delete bad comments from their feedback. Rip Off Britain is still alive and well unfortunately

Only thing I will say is never, ever bother with any after market warranty. They are not worth the paper printed on.

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 24.01.12 0:05

Thanks Pershing with this news. You have really cheered me up what

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum