The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Anyone read this book Belle Famille by Arthur Dreyfus?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anyone read this book Belle Famille by Arthur Dreyfus?

Post by jd on 07.01.12 15:20

Arthur Dreyfus can argue he took inspiration from another book of fiction "Madeleine' by kate mccann!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 07.01.12 15:23

I wonder if he will be offered a film deal thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 07.01.12 15:32

@jd wrote:Arthur Dreyfus can argue he took inspiration from another book of fiction "Madeleine' by kate mccann!

Really?

Is kate's character in the book a victim of domestic accident who died in her holiday apartment ,and her mum found her, then decided to make her disappear?

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 07.01.12 15:34

candyfloss wrote:I wonder if he will be offered a film deal thinking

I thought about that too. It will be irony if he does get offers for film deal.

If he makes more money than mccanns, they are going to be so jealous, they wont let him off.

Ha Ha I am liking it so far.....how are they going to sue him for writing a fiction.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

aiyoyos posted resume of the book

Post by russiandoll on 07.01.12 16:00

the remainder

Le véritable sujet de l'auteur, avec cette histoire où nul n'est
réellement coupable, c'est la manière dont naît un fait divers
hypermédiatique. C'est la frénésie qui s'empare des journalistes, des
politiques, de tous ceux qui peuvent tirer profit d'une manière ou d'une
autre d'une histoire comme celle-là. Emouvante, forcément émouvante,
puisqu'il s'agit de la disparition d'un enfant. La distance qu'introduit
la fiction par rapport aux faits réels tels qu'ils sont connus permet
de prendre de la hauteur, de rejeter le tire-larmes au profit de la
réflexion. En puisant aux sources d'un cas aussi sensible pour livrer un
roman grinçant et souvent drôle, le jeune Arthur Dreyfus, 24 ans, fait
un pari gonflé, et le remporte. La lecture de Belle famille pousse à
s'interroger sur ce qui nous passionne tant dans la mise en récit de
faits divers à sensations. Dans son bel essai Un jour, le crime
(Gallimard, 2011), le psychanalyste et écrivain Jean-Bertrand Pontalis
expliquait : le goût de ces histoires où se satisfont nos pulsions
violentes rappelle notre nature de "criminels innocents".»

translates as follows :

The author's true subject, in this tale in which nothing is really to blame, is the way in which news items are created all over the media. It is the frenzy which takes over journalists and politicians, everyone who is able to profit in some way or other from such a story. Moving, deeply moving, since it deals with a child's disappearance. Fiction gives a distance from the facts as we know them and allows us to rise above things, to reject the pull of tears in favour of reflection. Taking as his source such a sensitive case in order to create a dark and often dry novel, the 24 year old Arthur Dreyfus has taken a huge gamble which has paid off. Reading " Lovely Family " forces one to ask oneself questions about what it is that arouses our emotions in the telling of sensational news stories. In his essay "One day, a crime" the wirter and psychoanalyst Jean Bertrand Pontails expalins it as follows: the liking for these stories where our violent impulses are satisifed, reminds us of our nature, that of " innocent criminals".

I have done this translation in a couple of minutes, but that is in essence what has been said here.
Sounds like a darned good read to me.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 07.01.12 16:09

It is the frenzy which takes over journalists and politicians, everyone who is able to profit in some way or other from such a story

This is the crux of it...making money.

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 07.01.12 16:44

@aiyoyo wrote:
@jd wrote:Arthur Dreyfus can argue he took inspiration from another book of fiction "Madeleine' by kate mccann!

Really?

Is kate's character in the book a victim of domestic accident who died in her holiday apartment ,and her mum found her, then decided to make her disappear?
aiyoyo, do you mean Madeleine's character in the book?

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 07.01.12 19:26

"Enfant étrange, taciturne et solitaire, Madec vit à Granville, avec ses parents et ses deux frères. Alors que la famille est en vacances en Toscane avec un couple d’amis, Madec manque de se noyer dans la piscine. Il est sauvé par un Anglais, Ron Murdoch, un repris de justice qui a purgé une longue peine en Angleterre pour pédophilie. Un soir, tandis que ses parents dînent au restaurant avec leurs amis, Madec se tue accidentellement dans la cuisine du bungalow. Revenant à l’improviste au milieu du repas, Laurence trouve son fils mort sur le carrelage. Sans réfléchir, elle emporte le corps et le fait disparaître, avant de rejoindre les autres au restaurant comme si de rien n’était. De retour au bungalow, la disparition déclenche une alerte générale. Battues, recherches, enquête policière, paparazzi : en quelques jours, les parents deviennent des vedettes. L’oncle de l’enfant orchestre une campagne de presse qui émeut le monde entier - jusqu’au pape Jean- Paul II. Diligentée par un inspecteur italien, l’enquête est suivie en haut lieu par la France. L’Anglais Murdoch est vite accusé d’avoir enlevé et tué Madec. Son passé plaide contre lui… S’inspirant d’un fait divers récent, Arthur Dreyfus décrit avec une ironie souvent cruelle cette famille figée dans son silence et ses lâchetés, et avec une poésie prenante la solitude de Madec. Progressivement s’installe un climat proche de la folie, dans lequel la mère, énigmatique et silencieuse, joue un rôle central. On comprendra peu à peu pourquoi elle cache la mort de son enfant…"

Rough translation:

A foreign child, quiet and lonely, Madec lives in Granville with his parents and his two brothers.
While the family is on holiday in Tuscany with some friends, Madec nearly drowns in the swimming pool. He is saved by an Englishman, Ron Murdoch, an ex-convict who served a long sentence in England for paedophilia.

One evening, while his parents dine at a restaurant with their friends, Madec kills herself (dies) accidentally in the kitchen of the bungalow.
Going back, unexpectedly, in the middle of the meal, Laurence finds her son dead on the tiled floor. Without second thought, she takes the body away and hides it, before rejoining the others in the restaurant as if nothing happened.

Back in the bungalow, the disappearance sparks an alarm. Lost, search, police investigation, paparazzi: within a few days, the parents become the stars. The child’s uncle orchestrates a press campaign which moves the whole wide-world – even Pope Jean-Paul II.
Led by an Italian inspector, the investigation is followed closely by high authorities in France.

The Englishman Murdoch is soon accused of having abducted and murdered Madec. His past pledges against him.
Inspired by a recent news, Arthur Dreyfus describes with irony, often cruel, of this family frozen (in fear) in their cowardice and silence, and with a captivating poetry of Madec’s loneliness.

Over time, a self create climate of madness sets in, in which the mother, silent and enigmatic, plays a pivotal role. Bit by bit we will understand why she hides the death of her child.

It interesting to note that Arthur Dreyfus has changed the gender of the child to a boy.
His mother is strangely named "Laurence" (I wonder is there a subtle message here).
And note this fun bit : her killer, the English paedophile, is named Ron Murdoch. This is a hoot.

Looks like mccanns' 2011 which ended on a positive note (according to their blog?facebook?) is going to continue into 2012!
And CR might even have a financially rewarding 2012 if they work hard enough to explore loopholes to sue.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

enfant etrange

Post by russiandoll on 07.01.12 19:34

aiyoyo....I think it is an important point that imo the correct translation is strange /unusual child [ not foreign although this can be a translation of etrange].

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 07.01.12 19:35

@rainbow-fairy wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

Really?

aiyoyo, do you mean Madeleine's character in the book?

I mean how can he takes inspiration from kate's bewk when the plot is different.
Kate's version is Maddie was abducted awaiting rescue. This author's character died in the hol apartment and her mum hid her body. If anything he takes inspiration elsewhere.

And to think the mccanns were trying to silent small fry on the internet. The french book will have many thousands of readership, and if the author gets it translated and sell in America the sky's the limit. I bet every film maker is going to pound on him for a film deal if his book flies off the shelves.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anyone read this book Belle Famile by Arthur Dreyfus

Post by sijm on 07.01.12 22:42

Hello Everyone.

My view on this book althought I have not read it (simply put, I cannot read French) but have read your preview and I took note of the charactor similarities used in this fiction work to that of the McCann case.

I did the same process when I wrote a fiction theological thriller almost twenty years ago, (not published I add) but characters in my book had such strong personalities that I disliked I added fictional names (by the way I had a good crit from a British National book council who stated the book would quell bad crits on supposed witch craft in J K Rolwin's books).

1.I have noted the characters similarities with those of the McCann dinner event (Kate told us about in her book) the one with Clement Freud who is a relative of Mathew Freud married who is married to Murdoch's daughter.

2.The Sun newspapaer, a Murdoch paper that sponsored the fifty day balloon event on the fittieth day Madeleine had been missing, (noted also is that day on June 22nd 2007 a twitter called Oddityfinder said he had captured an image in a tomb on the the cliff.

3.The guilty finger pointed at Murat by a Sun reporter.

Just three points I highlight and I sure there are more between the two camps.

I cannot help thinking the writer of this book is once again pointing guilt away from the McCanns camp for responsibility of Madeleine's disapearance.

sijm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 08.01.12 1:44

@russiandoll wrote:aiyoyo....I think it is an important point that imo the correct translation is strange /unusual child [ not foreign although this can be a translation of etrange].

Vous avez raison, ce n'est pas etranger = foreigner/stranger, c'est etrange = strange/unusual.

Btw the book is in the shops as well as available online. Far as I understand the author is very familiar with Madeleine's case and his fictional characters are based closely on the case, where Madec parents are also doctors.

Should be interesting to see whether it will fly off the shelves which may prompt film deal.

I doubt the mccanns can do anything about it not only because it's a fictional book but the established and reowned publisher must have given it fine anti-libel prevention comb before they take it on.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 08.01.12 9:41

@sijm wrote:Hello Everyone.

My view on this book althought I have not read it (simply put, I cannot read French) but have read your preview and I took note of the charactor similarities used in this fiction work to that of the McCann case.

I did the same process when I wrote a fiction theological thriller almost twenty years ago, (not published I add) but characters in my book had such strong personalities that I disliked I added fictional names (by the way I had a good crit from a British National book council who stated the book would quell bad crits on supposed witch craft in J K Rolwin's books).

1.I have noted the characters similarities with those of the McCann dinner event (Kate told us about in her book) the one with Clement Freud who is a relative of Mathew Freud married who is married to Murdoch's daughter.

2.The Sun newspapaer, a Murdoch paper that sponsored the fifty day balloon event on the fittieth day Madeleine had been missing, (noted also is that day on June 22nd 2007 a twitter called Oddityfinder said he had captured an image in a tomb on the the cliff.

3.The guilty finger pointed at Murat by a Sun reporter.

Just three points I highlight and I sure there are more between the two camps.

I cannot help thinking the writer of this book is once again pointing guilt away from the McCanns camp for responsibility of Madeleine's disapearance.
How so, sijm? And has the writer 'pointed guilt away from the McCanns' before? I'm confused!

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zora-ann on 08.01.12 12:35

Gerry said at the Leveson Inquiry that he didn't have a problem with anyone purporting a theory or writing fiction....

At the time I found it a sightly odd thing to say in the circumstances. Now one has to wonder whether the McCanns had already had a heads up about the coming publication of this book and, hopefully, already been advised that there's absolutely nothing they can do about it. titter

zora-ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anyone read this book Belle Famille by Arthur Drayfus.

Post by sijm on 08.01.12 12:44

Hello Rainbow Fairy.

The example of McCann's blaming others for Madeleine's disappearance were noted from Kate pointing the finger of suspicion at Murat, which she wrote in her book.

sijm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 08.01.12 13:25

@zora-ann wrote:Gerry said at the Leveson Inquiry that he didn't have a problem with anyone purporting a theory or writing fiction....

At the time I found it a sightly odd thing to say in the circumstances. Now one has to wonder whether the McCanns had already had a heads up about the coming publication of this book and, hopefully, already been advised that there's absolutely nothing they can do about it. titter

I doubt anyone would give them heads up on that.

More likely they regard police investigators,writers and forum all work so fiction, only their (naturally) is the truthful account of what happened.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shibboleth on 08.01.12 13:45

How can Gerry McCann stop anyone writing fiction, there are not enough lawyers in the world. The man really is on a different planet to everyone else.

Shibboleth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zora-ann on 08.01.12 13:56

@aiyoyo wrote:
@zora-ann wrote:Gerry said at the Leveson Inquiry that he didn't have a problem with anyone purporting a theory or writing fiction....

I doubt anyone would give them heads up on that.

More likely they regard police investigators,writers and forum all work so fiction, only their (naturally) is the truthful account of what happened.

Maybe you're right, aiyoyo. But I'm still hopeful that those words will come back to haunt him more than a couple of times this year big grin

zora-ann

View user profile

Back to top Go down

journalists and politicians

Post by russiandoll on 08.01.12 13:58

are mentioned in the resume of the book as quoted by myself and aiyoyo, as is a media frenzy; the inspiration from the Maddie case is clear, as is the name for the male child who vanishes[ Madec]. Inspiration is all it will turn out to be I am confident, as lawyers for this major publisher will have stated a need for events and characters in this novel to be far enough removed from real events that the work wont cause a legal issue for them.
Dreyfus is sailing very close to the wind, but not close enough hopefully to unleash the legal clout of the British couple on him and his publishers,

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10.01.12 12:20

There is already a thread on this Advocatus.

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t4169-an-interview-with-arthur-dreyfuss-spudgun-spoutings-blog

Did you receive permission from spudgun to post this as I just provided the link as it clearly states at the bottom which you have posted too that it may not be reproduced.

Back to top Go down

Post by Advocatus on 10.01.12 12:54

Thanks candyfloss, I'll go find it - mods please feel free to delete.

Advocatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Advocatus on 10.01.12 12:58

Actually no I didn't get permission from spudgun (I'm on his mailing list), missed that bit at the bottom, so mods please delete. Sorry about that mods, posting on a smart phone.

Advocatus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10.01.12 13:07

@Advocatus wrote:Actually no I didn't get permission from spudgun (I'm on his mailing list), missed that bit at the bottom, so mods please delete. Sorry about that mods, posting on a smart phone.

Thank you Advocatus - I have deleted the post.

Will will await instructions from Spudgun as to whether we can post his blog here, he is a member and visits from time to time. I don't know why he doesn't want his blog reproduced i don\'t know

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on 10.01.12 19:29

candyfloss wrote:
@Advocatus wrote:Actually no I didn't get permission from spudgun (I'm on his mailing list), missed that bit at the bottom, so mods please delete. Sorry about that mods, posting on a smart phone.

Will will await instructions from Spudgun as to whether we can post his blog here, he is a member and visits from time to time. I don't know why he doesn't want his blog reproduced i don\'t know

I would say it will be because the pro trolls share his blogs and abuse & insult them with glee. Just have a look on JATYK2 (if you dare).

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on 11.01.12 0:12

@Gillyspot wrote:
candyfloss wrote:

Will will await instructions from Spudgun as to whether we can post his blog here, he is a member and visits from time to time. I don't know why he doesn't want his blog reproduced

I would say it will be because the pro trolls share his blogs and abuse & insult them with glee. Just have a look on JATYK2 (if you dare).
That is all the pro trolls can do really isn't it? Abuse and mock? Spudgun has more intelligence in his little finger than all the posters on JATYK2 combined. Have never read a 'spouting' that I didn't heartily agree with. Love you Spudgun!

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum