The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The death of Welsh football manager Gary Speed. Was his abuse 30 years ago by depraved paedophile Barry Bennell a clue to his death?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The death of Welsh football manager Gary Speed. Was his abuse 30 years ago by depraved paedophile Barry Bennell a clue to his death?

Post by Tony Bennett on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:03 am

Gary Speed reportedly committed suicide in the early hours of 27 November, at the age of 42.

I hesitate to bring this subject up - as some may regard it as disrespectful to a popular ex-football player, manager, and family man.

Nothing could be further from the truth. My wish here is to explore the possibility that this talented, dedicated and popular professional man was murdered, and did not commit suicide.

I first of all bring a few facts to this subject. I will conclude by posting just 5 links.

Gary Speed was born in 1969.

At the age of around 11, he was passionate about football, and wanted to succeed. An upcoming football coach in those days, with all the right connections to clubs such as Manchester City and Stoke City, was Barry Bennell. Bennell was successful. He trained his boys hard, and many of his young foootball trainees later became football stars for major clubs. Gary Speed was one of his trainees (Links 2 and 3 below).

But Bennell was a depraved paedophile who sexually abused many of the young boys whom he trained. The abuse took place at 'training weekends' at his house and possibly also at the home of a Crewe Alexandra football manager.

Link 3 below is a YouTube video (7 minutes) - part of a Dispatches programme which exposed Bennell's activities and named Gary Speed as one of his victims. The video is also a link within Link 2 below. (The rest of the Dispatches programme dealt with the extent of paedophile foootball coaches in British football, giving other examples).

Gary Speed showed true dedication and professionalism in his career. He was liked and respected by team mates and opponents alike. Having succeeded as a football player with some of the nation's biggest clubs, he became Manager of Sheffield United. After a spell there, he was head-hunted for and appointed as the Manager of Wales. He made an excellent start, the most recent result for Wales being: Wales 4 - Norway 1.

His career was on a distinct upward curve. He appeared to be a happily married family man. He had specific plans for the coming weeks. So far as anyone is aware, he had no history of depression, and had made no suicide attempts. Despite claims that he was gay and was about to be exposed as such, no credible evidence to support this has surfaced to date.

The police response to Gary Speed being found dead was a swift: 'There are no suspcious circumstances' (see BBC report of Gary Speed's death, Link 4 below).

The police force was Cheshire. It has been noted on this forum that Cheshire Police has rented property for some of its services from McCann-backer Brian Kennedy and his son Patrick Kennedy, who founded Patrick Properties.

Apparently Gary Speed left no suicide note.

But one thing that may be linked to his death is that Gary Speed, a rising star in the football world, was about to publish an autobiography which would, inter alia, refer to his being abused by football coach Barry Bennell. He had a co-writer and the book had already been written.

Bennell was sentenced in 1998 to 9 years in jail for his series of appalling crimes (Link 5 below).

Links 1 and 2 below are from the 'Tap' blog, and Link 1 looks in outline at the surrounding circumstances of Gary Speed's death, suggesting that Gary Speed may have been murdered, possibly by paedophiles who might have had reason to fear what Gary had to say on the subject.

The police's swift 'No suspicous circumstances' got me thinking about what might have happened to Gary.

Paedophiles are evil, depraved, devious and manipulative people who stoop to abusing young children and will stop at nothing to prevent people knowing about their crimes. They are by no means past killing people:

Link 1

http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2011/11/was-gary-speed-murdered.html

Link 2:

http://the-tap.blogspot.com/2011/12/gary-speed-was-paedophile-abuse-victim.html

Link 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTT2dETNaoU

Link 4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

Link 5:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/football-coach-who-abused-boys-is-jailed-for-nine-years-hy-1162357.html

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The death of Welsh football manager Gary Speed. Was his abuse 30 years ago by depraved paedophile Barry Bennell a clue to his death?

Post by littlepixie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 am

I believe Gary Speed was from Mancot. I wonder whereabouts he met Bennell.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The death of Welsh football manager Gary Speed. Was his abuse 30 years ago by depraved paedophile Barry Bennell a clue to his death?

Post by PeterMac on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:10 am

Who has copies of the manuscript ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gary's website

Post by Tony Bennett on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:45 am

@PeterMac wrote:Who has copies of the manuscript ?

The co-author of his proposed autobiography was John Richardson. If he wrote his autobiography at home, his wife should have a copy. Gary Speed had a website in which he mentioned his book; the page is still viewable here:

http://garyspeed.com/book.asp

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:51 am

I had a bad feeling this was another Dr David Kelly, but didn't like to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm

I had always found it very odd that his wife found him at 7am. They would be sleeping together being happily married and I don't think he'd just get up in the middle of the night and hang himself while his family slept. He cared too much for his family to do anything like this and for arguments sake if he did hang himself then he would have done it when he was all alone in the house at least, not with his family in the next room. When the police say immediately 'no foul play' you know there is. RIP Gary Speed, was a true gentlemen

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 pm

If there are connections to paedophiles with this case, the truth is very unlikely to come out. However, I am finding it very hard to accept that his death was due to anything other than suicide or possibly a tragic accident. Are we suggesting that someone got into his house during the night, forced him into the garage without his wife or children hearing anything and then killed him?

Back to top Go down

Gary Speed - more details

Post by Tony Bennett on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Jean wrote:If there are connections to paedophiles with this case, the truth is very unlikely to come out. However, I am finding it very hard to accept that his death was due to anything other than suicide or possibly a tragic accident. Are we suggesting that someone got into his house during the night, forced him into the garage without his wife or children hearing anything and then killed him?
Jean,

There are quite a few details about all this which have been emerging. I cannot vouch for 100% accuracy for all of these, but if true they may help to explain your query:

1. Gary Speed was interviewed on 'Football Focus' late Saturday afternoon, the day before he was found hanged. All agree that he seemed fine with no hint of depression, feeling low etc.

2. Gary had apparently arranged to see ex-Premier and England goalscorer Alan Shearer the following weekend at Shearer's home. He was also apparently arranging with Alan Shearer a holiday next year in Portugal.

3. Gary had apparently arranged to take the family to Dubai for Christmas, where they would visit an ex-football player.

4. A co-presenter (I think of 'Football Focus') understood from Gary Speed that he was due to attend some kind of family get-together on the Saturday night, it is presumed this was at a venue away from home.

5. At this get-together it is said that Gary and his family arrived together, as one would expect.

6. At some point, it is thought around 3am, something went wrong and the wife and children stayed at the get-together but were separated at that point in time from Gary.

7. Gary was found hanged at 7am by his wife when she arrived home.

I don't know if any other relevant details have been made public.

So far as I know, this is all that Cheshire Police have released:

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27 November 2011, Cheshire police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington, Chester.

"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. The family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time. A family tribute will be released at a later date but not today."

++++++++++++++

This by the way is the BBC report of the Inquest, which has been adjourned:

An inquest on Wales football manager Gary Speed has been told that his wife found him hanged at home.

The hearing was adjourned in Warrington, Cheshire, following the post-mortem examination on Speed, 42.

The inquest was told that Louise Speed found the body just before 7am on Sunday and called the ambulance service, but police are not treating the death as suspicious.

The inquest on the ex-Premier League player was adjourned to 30 January.

The hearing was also told that reports are being awaited from the pathologist.

Earlier, politicians in the Welsh assembly observed a minute's silence in his honour after the discovery of his body on Sunday stunned Wales and the sporting world.

A tribute will also be staged before Tuesday night's cup tie between Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers.
In a statement issued on Monday afternoon Speed's family said they had been overwhelmed by the support they have received following his death.

Speaking outside the family's home Hayden Evans, Speed's agent, said: "Gary's family would sincerely like to thank all the people that have sent messages of condolence and tributes in what is a very difficult time. We have been overwhelmed by the support and it really has helped. We would ask that the family are now given the respect of some privacy to just grieve on their own."

Mr Evans later told BBC Wales that the support had made a difference "albeit a small difference". He said there was no indication anything was wrong.

"We spoke on Friday, everything was normal," said Mr Evans. "We speak regularly and meet regularly and there were no tell-tale signs and that's what's made it all the more shocking."

Tributes to the former Leeds United, Everton and Newcastle United midfielder, have continued to pour in from public and sporting figures.

On a visit to Manchester, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I think it has been incredibly moving. I know he meant an enormous amount to people and people feel very, very sad on his behalf and on his family's behalf. I was watching Match Of The Day last night and watching people, crowds, absolutely silent and footballers revering his memory. Obviously here in the north, where he played for so many of the iconic teams, I know he meant an enormous amount to people and people feel very, very sad on his behalf and on his family's behalf."

MPs from all parties in the House of Commons tabled a motion offering the House's sympathies to Speed's wife and two sons.

It also demanded a "greater understanding of the pressures placed on those in the media spotlight and of mental health issues in general".

The Early Day Motion hails Wales' "significant progress under his guidance" in the 11 months since Speed was appointed manager and recognises his "inspiring effect on players and supporters alike".

It also calls for appreciation of the "sorrow and loss his death has left among players and football supporters across Wales and beyond".

The flags outside the Welsh assembly in Cardiff Bay are flying at half-mast as a mark of respect.
Supporters have left scarves, football shirts and flowers across several football stadiums - including Everton's Goodison Park, at Leeds United's Elland Road, Newcastle United's St James' Park, the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff City Stadium, where Wales played their home games.

Speaking on Tuesday night, Cardiff City manager Malky McKay said: "I'm sure the correct tribute and respect will be paid towards Gary. Our fans are fantastic. They will do exactly what I think they'll do in terms of tributes, be it silence or applause."

The FAW has opened a book of remembrance at its offices in Cardiff, which will be open from 09:00 to 16:00 GMT, and online.

Speed enjoyed a long and distinguished playing career which included periods with Everton, Newcastle, Bolton, Sheffield United and Leeds, where he won the First Division title in 1992, the year before it became the Premier League.

He was also Wales' most capped outfield player, winning 85 international caps, and managed Sheffield United before becoming Wales boss in December 2010.

After a difficult start, Wales' 4-1 friendly win over Norway on 12 November was his side's third successive win.

Cheshire Police said on Sunday that Speed's body was discovered at his home in Huntington, near Chester.

Officers said there were no suspicious circumstances.

UNQUOTE

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:07 pm

@Tony Bennett wrote:6. At some point, it is thought around 3am, something went wrong and the wife and children stayed at the get-together but were separated at that point in time from Gary.

How odd. Who stays out that late with young children?

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:30 pm

1. Gary Speed was interviewed on 'Football Focus' late Saturday afternoon, the day before he was found hanged. All agree that he seemed fine with no hint of depression, feeling low etc.

I saw this interview and afterwards outside the studio on the streets having photos taken with some fans. He looked very happy and his eyes looked happy too

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Misadventure rather than murder?

Post by uppatoffee on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:36 pm

I have to say my first thought was that it was misadventure rather than murder. As Tony said there were no signs of depression and it seems to have come completely out of the blue. The way the police stated they were not looking for anyone and it was not suspicious means that it must have been very obvious to those that arrived on the scene exactly what happened.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Stella wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:6. At some point, it is thought around 3am, something went wrong and the wife and children stayed at the get-together but were separated at that point in time from Gary.

How odd. Who stays out that late with young children?
I agree; however, Stella, Gary Speed's two sons, Eddie and Tommy, were 14 and 13 respectively, not 'young'. The source for this specific information is on a forum. This might be true, it might not. Hopefully the adjourned inquest on 30 January will shed further light on all this. We do not yet have an authoritative account of his last hours.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I had a friend who hung himself the week before Christmas. I had not seen him for a while but when I spoke to his family they showed me photos of him smiling in the pub with them the night before, picking the Christmas menu. They all said how happy he was and how much he was looking forward to the meal which was to be in the pub and how he had painstakingly chosen what he would have off the menu.

When he didnt show for the meal they rang the Police who refused to go round so the brother used his key to go in and found him. They found snapped nooses made from wire hanging from various places around the ceiling.
I sometimes think it is very hard to tell whether someone is suicidal or not, even if you are close to them.

I have also known of cases in the 80s and 90s where there was a spate of suicides, including one young man who had tied a rope around his neck then tied it to a lampost then drove off. People were very suspicious about that one.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Jean wrote:If there are connections to paedophiles with this case, the truth is very unlikely to come out. However, I am finding it very hard to accept that his death was due to anything other than suicide or possibly a tragic accident.

Indeed, it's very interesting. But like you,I feel it might be going too far to imagine it's murder. Things that happen to people in childhood can often affect them for the rest of their lives. It won't necessarily be all the time -memories and associations can come in fits and starts. A person can put a traumatic experience behind them, live their lives in a completely normal way, seem very happy to all their family and friends - and then suddenly something will happen to trigger it off - in the case of paedophilia, perhaps triggering all the feelings of lack of self-worth that come with it. The person's family and friends won't necessarily know about it. I've also heard it said that people who've committed suicide have often seemed to be very cheerful and normal in the hours before the event- as though they've reconciled themselves to it, as it were. But how tragic that events from decades ago can still have such effects years later.

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:36 pm

The person in my post above who hung himself, had an identical twin brother who was found at the foot of a block of flats 20 years earlier having apparently slipped off the balcony. I was very close to both the twins and never for one minute thought it as anything but an accident.
It was only when my friend had killed himself that the family told me he had lied to me and his brother didnt slip, he threw himself off the flats. My friend carried on living for 20 years after his twins suicide but then sadly it could have come back to haunt him and he took his own life.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I have never heard the report before that the Speed family was not at home on the Saturday night / Sunday morning. If this is true, it would answer the question I had in my previous posting. Let's hope that the truth comes out.

I'm not making any inference to this particular case but it seems to be a sad fact doesn't it that men are more likely to commit suicide than women.

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 am

@uppatoffee wrote:I have to say my first thought was that it was misadventure rather than murder. As Tony said there were no signs of depression and it seems to have come completely out of the blue. The way the police stated they were not looking for anyone and it was not suspicious means that it must have been very obvious to those that arrived on the scene exactly what happened.
Not necessarily, uppatoffee - I actually find it more suspicious, the sheer speed at which it was announced as being 'no suspicious circumstances'. I think it would've been more prudent for the police to say something along the lines of 'Early indications make us believe there are no suspicious circumstances, inquiries will continue'. I'm wracking my brains here to think of a scenario where the police (or anyone, for that matter) could have a cursory look and state, categorically, it was suicide, not anything sinister.
Woman slumped over table+vodka bottle+pill bottles=???
Man on floor+gun in hand+damaged head=???
Both these scenarios would suggest suicide, but could anyone be immediately certain? Could they not be murder?

I read years back a piece on three men who had murdered a former accomplice-turned-grass, hanging to look like suicide... its a very quick way to 'get rid' and make it look like a simple suicide. No note will be left (adds complications and enhances chance of being caught).
The tragedy of Gary Speed has many parallels with the case I read about.
I don't think I'd be happy to rule this as suicide just yet. Though as another poster said, if it is murder to cover up paedophile exposure, we're not likely to ever know. After all, there is much evidence of paedophilia in all levels of the police force.
Whichever way this turns out, its immeasurably sad, and a tragedy for all his loving family.
RIP Gary, you will be much missed x

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:16 am

Around 3 nights after Gary's death one or 2 media persons tweeted that he had committed suicide because the Sun had overturned an injunction in court on the Friday before his death and wanted to print a story that Gary was gay.

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 am

Rainbow fairy - the presence of an orange or lemon on the floor might be one such scenario.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

Rainbow-fairy.
I'm wracking my brains here to think of a scenario where the police (or anyone, for that matter) could have a cursory look and state, categorically, it was suicide, not anything sinister.
Both these scenarios would suggest suicide, but could anyone be immediately certain? Could they not be murder?
Add - door locked and bolted from the inside, with no other means of access or exit,...

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:11 pm

@Gillyspot wrote:Around 3 nights after Gary's death one or 2 media persons tweeted that he had committed suicide because the Sun had overturned an injunction in court on the Friday before his death and wanted to print a story that Gary was gay.
He shouldve been an actor - I saw him in the audience and there were no signs of worry to be seen?

Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-fairy on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:12 pm

@PeterMac wrote:
Rainbow-fairy.
I'm wracking my brains here to think of a scenario where the police (or anyone, for that matter) could have a cursory look and state, categorically, it was suicide, not anything sinister.
Add - door locked and bolted from the inside, with no other means of access or exit,...
That would certainly do it PeterMac Wink

rainbow-fairy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

coroner records narrative verdict

Post by russiandoll on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Warrington Coroner's Court Inquest.
Narrative verdict recorded.
Coroner cannot decide for sure that G Speed intended to take his own life and that whilst death was caused by hanging, he can't say that Gary Speed intended to die so has not recorded a verdict of suicide.
Mr Speed's wife stated that she received a text from him in days prior to his death stating he was thinking about killing himself, but given Mr Speed's close relationship with his sons, the coroner is not convinced that Mr Speed took his own life.
So as Sky News says....an interesting twist.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

p.s.

Post by russiandoll on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Gary Speed's wife has told the inquest into the former Wales manager's death they "had words" on the morning she found him hanged at home.Louise Speed also revealed that he had sent a text in the days before his death in which he "talked in terms of taking his life" but that he dismissed the idea because of their two teenage sons.

Speed, 42, was found on November 27 at the family home in Huntington, near Chester.

Giving evidence, Mrs Speed began crying as she described how she found her husband's body in a garage and went on to tell how she had tried in vain to revive him.

She said they had been driven back from a party together shortly after midnight and "had an exchange of words about something and nothing" when they got home.

Mrs Speed left the house at 1.15am, which was the last time she saw him alive.

She told how when she returned a short time later, the house was locked and she could not get hold of her husband so she slept in the car. She awoke at 6am and got inside the house, finding his body a short
time later.

Her husband - who played for Sheffield United, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Bolton - had left no note, the inquest heard.

Describing their text conversation days before his death, she said it referred to their "ups and downs" but went on about "how important the boys were" and about "moving forward".

She said he "dismissed" the idea of killing himself, and he was "excited" about his future with his family.

The inquest has also heard evidence from Gary Speed's parents and Alan Shearer, who told the inquest he was "shocked" to hear of his friend's death.

Cheshire coroner Nicholas Rheinberg is scheduled to record a verdict at the inquest at Warrington Town Hall.

Following Speed's death, police said there were no suspicious circumstances and a pathologist later gave a provisional cause of death as hanging.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Inquest verdict on Gary Speed

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:15 pm

I always thought this could have been an accident.

A terrible tragedy for his family, friends and fans.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum