The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

What the Chipping Norton Set think of Us

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What the Chipping Norton Set think of Us

Post by jd on 01.12.11 10:53

This is what one member of the Chipping Norton Set think of us peasant public. Charming! And to think another member is our prime minister

The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot" in front of their families.

The Top Gear presenter made his comments on BBC's The One Show following Britain's biggest public sector strikes in 30 years.

He said of the strikers: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
"I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living."

Clarkson's comments caused an immediate uproar on Twitter, with hundreds joining the backlash.
Chat show host Piers Morgan tweeted: "Clarkson can abuse - and hit (weakly..) - me all he likes. But what he said about the strikers just proves he's a nasty little twerp."

Author Tony Parsons tweeted: "Jeremy Clarkson has misjudged the moment. Criticising striking public sector workers today is like sieg-heiling at Last Night of the Proms."

KateakaMrsO tweeted: "First time I have ever complained about a programme, as I usually think people can use off button but Jeremy Clarkson a disgrace."

A BBC spokesman said The One Show made an on-air apology at the end of the programme to "viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments".
Jon Trickett, Labour's shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, said: "No one wants these strikes but most of today's strikers are mums, not militants.

"Clarkson should apologise. And the Prime Minister should make clear he disassociates himself from the distasteful remarks uttered by one of his friends."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16121347

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What the Chipping Norton Set think of Us

Post by Miraflores on 01.12.11 12:19

Indeed. And the majority of public sector workers will be on a pension of about £5000 per annum - which is hardly gilt-edged. And for this, we haven't had company cars, share options, huge bonuses. Most of us have had a modest salary of which our pension is a deferred payment.

Miraflores

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 01.12.11 13:10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15987204

So we have one of the prime ministers best friends saying 'people should be shot in front of their families' (even if it was in jest)

and we have Jeremy Vine/Nina Mischow saying anyone with an opinion different to theirs should go to a doctor and seek medical help as they have a problem

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marian on 01.12.11 15:58

Just the mention of Tony Parsons' name has me spitting feathers! Lest anyone was fortunate to miss his tirade about the Portuguese police, your luck has now run out!

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2010/01/tony-parsons-vile-xenophobic-attack-on.html

P.S. Why am I not surprised that such a fuss is being about Jeremy Clarkson's joking remark whereas Jeremy Vine's behaviour on his programme last week is regarded as perfectly acceptable?

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.12.11 16:48

@jd wrote:This is what one member of the Chipping Norton Set think of us peasant public. Charming! And to think another member is our prime minister

The BBC has apologised after Jeremy Clarkson said he would like to see striking public sector workers "shot" in front of their families.

The Top Gear presenter made his comments on BBC's The One Show following Britain's biggest public sector strikes in 30 years.

He said of the strikers: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
"I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living."

Clarkson's comments caused an immediate uproar on Twitter, with hundreds joining the backlash.
Chat show host Piers Morgan tweeted: "Clarkson can abuse - and hit (weakly..) - me all he likes. But what he said about the strikers just proves he's a nasty little twerp."

Author Tony Parsons tweeted: "Jeremy Clarkson has misjudged the moment. Criticising striking public sector workers today is like sieg-heiling at Last Night of the Proms."

KateakaMrsO tweeted: "First time I have ever complained about a programme, as I usually think people can use off button but Jeremy Clarkson a disgrace."

A BBC spokesman said The One Show made an on-air apology at the end of the programme to "viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson's comments".
Jon Trickett, Labour's shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, said: "No one wants these strikes but most of today's strikers are mums, not militants.

"Clarkson should apologise. And the Prime Minister should make clear he disassociates himself from the distasteful remarks uttered by one of his friends."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16121347

December 2011 Last updated at 15:12

.Sack Jeremy Clarkson over strike comments, Unison urges

Jeremy Clarkson should be sacked by the BBC over his "appalling" comments about killing striking public sector workers, trade union Unison has said.

The union said it was considering reporting the Top Gear presenter to the police over comments on The One Show.

Referring to striking workers, Mr Clarkson said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

The BBC received over 4,700 complaints and has apologised for the comments.

Mr Clarkson's comments, on Wednesday's screening of the BBC One show, sparked hundreds of responses to be posted on social networking site Twitter.

Talking about the strikes over pension changes, Mr Clarkson also said: "I mean, how dare they go on strike when they've got these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?"

Some of his remarks, which appeared to have been made in a lighthearted tone, were greeted with laughter from a studio audience, as did his comment that the strikes were "like being back in the 70s" which made him feel "at home, somehow".

Dave Prentis, general secretary of Unison, said: "Clarkson's comments on The One Show were totally outrageous, and they cannot be tolerated.

'Silly thing to say'

"An apology is not enough - we are calling on the BBC to sack Jeremy Clarkson immediately.

"We are seeking urgent legal advice about what further action we can take against him and the BBC, and whether or not his comments should be referred to the police."

He added: "Jeremy Clarkson clearly needs a reminder of just who he is talking about when he calls for public sector workers to be shot in front of their families.

"Whilst he is driving round in fast cars for a living, public sector workers are busy holding our society together - they save others' lives on a daily basis, they care for the sick, the vulnerable, the elderly."

Prime Minister David Cameron, asked about Mr Clarkson's comments during an appearance on ITV's This Morning, said it was "a silly thing to say... I'm sure he didn't mean it".

Mr Clarkson's comments came after thousands of public sector workers walked out on Wednesday
Labour leader Ed Miliband said: "Jeremy Clarkson should apologise for those comments. He obviously does not understand the lives of the people who were going out on strike yesterday."

Pensions Minister Steve Webb also said it was "a stupid thing to say".

"He should apologise and we should get on with our lives," said the minister.

Tens of thousands of people joined rallies around the UK on Wednesday as a public sector strike over pensions disrupted schools, hospitals and other services.

About two-thirds of state schools shut, and thousands of hospital operations were postponed, as unions estimated up to two million people went on strike. The government disputes this figure.

Unions oppose plans to make members pay more and work longer to earn what they say will be smaller pensions.

During The One Show, Mr Clarkson also made a remark about people who threw themselves in front of trains.

Later One Show presenter Matt Baker made an apology during the show about those comments.

A BBC spokeswoman said that apology should also be taken to apply to his joke about shooting strikers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15977813

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 01.12.11 17:38

@Marian wrote: Why am I not surprised that such a fuss is being about Jeremy Clarkson's joking remark whereas Jeremy Vine's behaviour on his programme last week is regarded as perfectly acceptable?

I was thinking the exact same....no mention of Jeremy Vine/mccanns behaviour which is just as appalling

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 01.12.11 21:33

Interesting though that the most un-PC person on television, the one who dares to be outrageous, the one who dares to say what lots of people are thinking, even if in a stupid and childish way, in order simply to be amusing... is one of the most successful performers on the BBC, and makes them millions as they sell his programme across the world.
What does that tell us about the PC lobby ?
Why can no one say anything any more without being accused of Thought Crime ?
Why is no one allowed to question the McCanns' version, or indeed any of their versions, of what happened ?
Why did I, over my professional life, have to change my vocabulary several times, from negroid, to coloured, to man of colour, to IC3, to AFrican-American, and back to black, for which incidentally the Spanish is Negro.
Who is controlling our language and our thought processes ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum