The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by aiyoyo on 04.10.11 14:02

xavier

your tail is showing.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Marian on 04.10.11 14:04

Aiyoyo: you've got there before me with that observation!

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Xavier on 04.10.11 14:30

@aiyoyo wrote:xavier

your tail is showing.



I am sorry. I don't understand.

Xavier

Posts : 130
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by pennylane on 04.10.11 14:55

Hello Tony, :bye:

Thank you for reporting on yesterday's achievements and your meeting with DI Dobson at Belgravia Police Station. Well done to you and anyone who helped bring this meeting together. I hope that the information contained in your dossier is given the respect it deserves. yes

I'm afraid my own feeling is that the 'Review' is a big hoax, just like the abduction... a shady end to a horrid crime!

RIP Madeleine roses

pennylane

Posts : 2529
Reputation : 1189
Join date : 2009-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Ollie on 04.10.11 15:41

If this review turns out to be a whitewash or hoax then DC will be accountable considering the millions it is costing. I know there are police of the highest integrity and so hope this review will not be a whitewash.

Ollie

Posts : 262
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Cheshire Cat on 04.10.11 15:47

@Xavier wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:xavier

your tail is showing.



I am sorry. I don't understand.



I understand, so does GA, so does my cat.



Well done Tony.



I expect to live at least another 50 years and I will wait that long for the truth if I have to!

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by littlepixie on 04.10.11 15:48

I would just like to say well done Tony and the MF for taking the trouble to present your information in person. Whether the review is a hoax or not remains to be seen, but at least there is a record of the Police having received the information.

I know there are others who have sent their info to the SY and as Tony has already said anyone who has information should send it to the investigation and let the Police decide if it is relevant or not.

You never know, contained in that information may be that "one missing piece of the jigsaw" that helps solve this case.

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 04.10.11 16:03

@littlepixie wrote:You never know, contained in that information may be that "one missing piece of the jigsaw" that helps solve this case.

Indeed, littlepixie...you would think the pro's would be delighted with any effort to try to help Maddie, yet all they do is laugh and poke fun. I wonder what evidence they've submitted to the Review Team?


Get'emGonçalo


Posts : 7108
Reputation : 2496
Join date : 2009-11-25

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by PeterMac on 04.10.11 16:33

Get 'em Gonçalo wrote:Indeed, littlepixie...you would think the pro's would be delighted with any effort to try to help Maddie, yet all they do is laugh and poke fun. I wonder what evidence they've submitted to the Review Team?
Evidence of the Abduction, of course.
Which means - nil.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Daisy on 04.10.11 19:52

I've already made my feelings clear about what I think of 'the review', so keeping it positive, I'll just say much respect to Tony and Team for at least trying to expose and challenge the corruption that this case is riddled with.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" (atrributed to) Edmund Burke

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Gillyspot on 04.10.11 20:04

As you say Ollie DC will be held accountable (as he should). He is spending over £3 million of tax payers money and if it is anything other than an honest review with no preconceived ideas then I would go so far as to say it is fraud.

____________________
Kate McCann "I know that what happened is not due to the fact of us leaving the children asleep. I know it happened under other circumstances"

Gillyspot

Posts : 1470
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by pennylane on 04.10.11 20:46

@Ollie wrote:If this review turns out to be a whitewash or hoax then DC will be accountable considering the millions it is costing. I know there are police of the highest integrity and so hope this review will not be a whitewash.


I hope so too Ollie pray2 I agree with you that there are some excellent policemen, but they can only work within the parameters they are given. Goncalo Amaral was baffled by the seeming U-turn of the British police who suddenly all upped sticks when the McCanns credibility took a nose dive. It seems to me that someone high up decided they didn't want this dodgy pair going on trial, whatever their crimes.

I respect Teresa May, so lets hope she has changed things dramatically since the pathetic Jacqui Smith was in office. It seemed to me that The Home Office did everything to scupper the PJ's investigation by denying the most basic background information on the McCanns, and it would be a deeply depressing end to this saga if the British police had to undertake this review with both hands tied behind their backs.

I'm really grateful to Tony Bennett and The Madeleine Foundation, and wish them the very best as they continue to work exceedingly hard against difficult and often hostile circumstances. Bravo! clapping

pennylane

Posts : 2529
Reputation : 1189
Join date : 2009-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Give Redwood a Chance

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.10.11 21:41

@Ollie wrote:If this review turns out to be a whitewash or hoax then DC will be accountable considering the millions it is costing. I know there are police of the highest integrity and so hope this review will not be a whitewash.
Responding to Ollie and to the last few points on this thread (many thanks for the nice comments by the way), I fully agree that there are a great many reasons for thinking that the Scotland Yard Review Team is, as it were, stuck with a brief that they may not revisit claims that Madeleine McCann died in her parents' apartment and that there has been a cover-up.

David Cameron saying on the day Dr Kate McCann's book was published that the review was 'to support the family' hardly encouraged the many of us who have never believed the McCanns' claim that Madeleine was abducted.

However, as PeterMac, a retired Police Superintendent, has explained more than once, Police Officers these days must note all the evidence that comes in (whether they are engaged on a live investigation or on a 'cold case' review (rereading the files in other words). They must also explain, for the record, their reasons for either accepting or rejecting certain evidence. And those reasons must be sound. If Police Officers do not follow such procedures, they lay themselves open to misconduct or disciplinary charges - or even an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

There have in recent decades been many examples of widespread police corruption. It is becoming clearer all the time that - in breach of the law and their codes of conduct - officers at various levels in the Met Police have been paid by private investigators or newspaper editors for information. Confidence in the police has been plummering, while complaints to the IPCC have been rising. Maybe an honest, no-holds-barred review/investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, with Bernard Hogan-Howe calling up Andy Redwood for a regular brieifng on how things are going, would help to restore the Met's increasingly tattered reputation.

For example, Andy Redwood's team would be bound by now to have read:

* The 10 September 2007 report by Tavares de Almedia

* 'The Truth About a Lie' by Goncalo Amaral

* The report of Lee Rainbow

* The report by Martin Grime and the video made by Portuguese Police of his sniffer dogs in action.

There is no way on earth that Redwood and his team can avoid confronting the hugely significant evidential issues in those reports.

Now we have given him and his team a great deal of additional information about the conduct of the McCanns' private investigations - evidence again that cannot be discounted and must be properly and conscientiously evaluated by Andy Redwood and his team.

Our position is that we must give Andy Redwood and his team an opportunity. We must trust them to act in accordance with their police oaths, namely to investigate and prosecute all alleged crimes robustly and without fear or favour.

There is one other issue that I want to mention: timing. It could be, for all we know, that the Scotland Yard Review Team share our sceptical views about the McCanns' claims that Madeleine was abducted. As professional officers, particularly in this very sensitive, highly-charged case that has been over-saturated with media coverage, not in a million years would they give even a smidgeon of a hint that they were thinking that way.

But things can change. Two years on, Cameron might not be Prime Minister. The new Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Bernard Hogan-Howe, might prove to be a robust, honest, successful Head of the Met who will ensure that his police officers do their job thoroughly and without fear or favour. Someone with knowledge of the case might speak out. Other new evidence might come to light. All manner of things might change.

And if they do, someone like Andy Redwood might just feel that the moment is right for him to complete his report and conclude it by recommending certain lines of enquiry which might not be the ones that Cameron and the McCanns were thinking of when this Review was set up.

In summary, to alter slightly John Lennon's words, we must 'Give Redwood a Chance'.

There is evidence which should interest Andy Redwood and his team within this very forum. Let us politely, concisely and helpfully continue to share that with him, giving his team of officers more raw material to work on.

And let us all keep digging.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13958
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Angelique on 04.10.11 23:09

Tony

May I give my belated "Well Done" for your efforts and presenting your evidence in person as well.

I agree that having now received this evidence that they must include it. Not to do so would be a breach of their remit. It's part of the Review.

Whatever the outcome your file of written evidence forms part of it. yes

____________________
Things aren't always what they seem

Angelique

Posts : 1396
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2010-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by aiyoyo on 05.10.11 5:48

@Xavier wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:xavier

your tail is showing.



I am sorry. I don't understand.

Let me put it this way:

If you were the 'one' going with the evidence, DI Dobson wouldn't have given you the time of the day.
You would (very likely, in fact more than 110% likely) be told like any general public member to leave your 'evidence parcel' at the reception and get a receipt for it!

TB got more than any public member could ever bargain for ...in fact he did v well.
Not only DI Dobson agreed to collect the evidence off TB personally but they managed a brief chat which is a lot, and I mean plenty.
In other words, he was well aware of TB's work and imo by agreeing to meet TB it indicates he acknowledges the research work of TB and the MF. And why shouldn't Police acknowledge research work of campaigners for the Truth? No reason at all!
It's only the mccanns who are against people finding out the truth. No one has the right to insist people believe in only one theory.

BTW, what did you imagine it was going to be? Did you think DI Dobson was going to discuss the case in depth with TB?
Either you are naive, obtuse, or deliberately being sutbly rude - that much is obvious.

Well, let me put it another way:
Even the mccanns were to ring up for DI, they might not get Dobson's time of the day. Unless they want to offer new information or offer themselves up for elimination - then that might be a different matter.
Besides the point of observance of secrecy or confidentiality clause, prohibiting discussion of the case with non-involved personnel, Police most certainly will never discuss the case at any stage be it investigation or review with 'suspects' yet to be eliminated in a court of law.


Remember the case is cold, not closed, hence the review. It isn't an investigation per se but a review is potent to cold case.
Historically, cold cases do get solved from periodic reviews; and in this particular case of the mccanns it is a specially ordered review, more reason to believe Police were given the special task of digging into the truth hopefully with no hold barrel and no behind closed door 'secret instructions' from any quarters of the Authority.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by PeterMac on 05.10.11 8:19

And Redwood could get a promotion out of this.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by pennylane on 05.10.11 10:52

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Ollie wrote:If this review turns out to be a whitewash or hoax then DC will be accountable considering the millions it is costing. I know there are police of the highest integrity and so hope this review will not be a whitewash.
Responding to Ollie and to the last few points on this thread (many thanks for the nice comments by the way), I fully agree that there are a great many reasons for thinking that the Scotland Yard Review Team is, as it were, stuck with a brief that they may not revisit claims that Madeleine McCann died in her parents' apartment and that there has been a cover-up.

David Cameron saying on the day Dr Kate McCann's book was published that the review was 'to support the family' hardly encouraged the many of us who have never believed the McCanns' claim that Madeleine was abducted.

However, as PeterMac, a retired Police Superintendent, has explained more than once, Police Officers these days must note all the evidence that comes in (whether they are engaged on a live investigation or on a 'cold case' review (rereading the files in other words). They must also explain, for the record, their reasons for either accepting or rejecting certain evidence. And those reasons must be sound. If Police Officers do not follow such procedures, they lay themselves open to misconduct or disciplinary charges - or even an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

There have in recent decades been many examples of widespread police corruption. It is becoming clearer all the time that - in breach of the law and their codes of conduct - officers at various levels in the Met Police have been paid by private investigators or newspaper editors for information. Confidence in the police has been plummering, while complaints to the IPCC have been rising. Maybe an honest, no-holds-barred review/investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, with Bernard Hogan-Howe calling up Andy Redwood for a regular brieifng on how things are going, would help to restore the Met's increasingly tattered reputation.

For example, Andy Redwood's team would be bound by now to have read:

* The 10 September 2007 report by Tavares de Almedia

* 'The Truth About a Lie' by Goncalo Amaral

* The report of Lee Rainbow

* The report by Martin Grime and the video made by Portuguese Police of his sniffer dogs in action.

There is no way on earth that Redwood and his team can avoid confronting the hugely significant evidential issues in those reports.

Now we have given him and his team a great deal of additional information about the conduct of the McCanns' private investigations - evidence again that cannot be discounted and must be properly and conscientiously evaluated by Andy Redwood and his team.

Our position is that we must give Andy Redwood and his team an opportunity. We must trust them to act in accordance with their police oaths, namely to investigate and prosecute all alleged crimes robustly and without fear or favour.

There is one other issue that I want to mention: timing. It could be, for all we know, that the Scotland Yard Review Team share our sceptical views about the McCanns' claims that Madeleine was abducted. As professional officers, particularly in this very sensitive, highly-charged case that has been over-saturated with media coverage, not in a million years would they give even a smidgeon of a hint that they were thinking that way.

But things can change. Two years on, Cameron might not be Prime Minister. The new Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Bernard Hogan-Howe, might prove to be a robust, honest, successful Head of the Met who will ensure that his police officers do their job thoroughly and without fear or favour. Someone with knowledge of the case might speak out. Other new evidence might come to light. All manner of things might change.

And if they do, someone like Andy Redwood might just feel that the moment is right for him to complete his report and conclude it by recommending certain lines of enquiry which might not be the ones that Cameron and the McCanns were thinking of when this Review was set up.

In summary, to alter slightly John Lennon's words, we must 'Give Redwood a Chance'.

There is evidence which should interest Andy Redwood and his team within this very forum. Let us politely, concisely and helpfully continue to share that with him, giving his team of officers more raw material to work on.

And let us all keep digging.

A very informative post indeed! I understand absolutely your encouraging views regarding the police and how things can change dramatically from one year to the next. I don't think I would be here after all this time if I didn't feel there was considerable mileage to be gained from chipping away at this case, and the mountain of lies the public have been inundated with.

Thank you for putting things in a very clear perspective, Tony. flag

pennylane

Posts : 2529
Reputation : 1189
Join date : 2009-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by rainbow-fairy on 06.10.11 9:45

Been off ill for a few days so missed this. THANK YOU TONY for your hard work and dedication to justice for MBM.
Even if the review does turn out to be less than hoped, at least many people - Sr Amaral and team, Tony, moSt of the posters on this site - we can all hold our heads up high. We refuse to look the other way in the face of lies and wickedness!
Well done to all :-)

____________________
"Ask the dogs, Sandra" - Gerry McCann to Sandra Felgueiras



Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

Posts : 1971
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2011-05-26
Age : 42
Location : going round in circles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Tony Bennett on 06.10.11 12:08

STATEMENT BY THE METROPOLITAN POLICE 6 OCTOBER 2011

Reproduced below without comment.

STATEMENT by Steve Bentley, Inspector, Directorate of Professional Standards, Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard

QUOTE

My understanding is that the [Scotland Yard Madeleine Mc Cann Review Team] would welcome any evidence that would assist with the enquiry. You state that you have a first hand information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators. This information would obviously be of interest to the team and they would welcome details of this individual to allow them to interview her if she is able to provide relevant evidence. However, information regarding peoples views and suspicions do not constitute evidence. The team are obliged to consider evidence rather than repetition of the myriad of views and beliefs that individuals choose to interpret from the available information.

UNQUOTE

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13958
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Xavier on 06.10.11 13:56

@aiyoyo wrote:
@Xavier wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:xavier

your tail is showing.



I am sorry. I don't understand.

Let me put it this way:

If you were the 'one' going with the evidence, DI Dobson wouldn't have given you the time of the day.
You would (very likely, in fact more than 110% likely) be told like any general public member to leave your 'evidence parcel' at the reception and get a receipt for it!

TB got more than any public member could ever bargain for ...in fact he did v well.
Not only DI Dobson agreed to collect the evidence off TB personally but they managed a brief chat which is a lot, and I mean plenty.
In other words, he was well aware of TB's work and imo by agreeing to meet TB it indicates he acknowledges the research work of TB and the MF. And why shouldn't Police acknowledge research work of campaigners for the Truth? No reason at all!
It's only the mccanns who are against people finding out the truth. No one has the right to insist people believe in only one theory.

BTW, what did you imagine it was going to be? Did you think DI Dobson was going to discuss the case in depth with TB?
Either you are naive, obtuse, or deliberately being sutbly rude - that much is obvious.

Well, let me put it another way:
Even the mccanns were to ring up for DI, they might not get Dobson's time of the day. Unless they want to offer new information or offer themselves up for elimination - then that might be a different matter.
Besides the point of observance of secrecy or confidentiality clause, prohibiting discussion of the case with non-involved personnel, Police most certainly will never discuss the case at any stage be it investigation or review with 'suspects' yet to be eliminated in a court of law.


Remember the case is cold, not closed, hence the review. It isn't an investigation per se but a review is potent to cold case.
Historically, cold cases do get solved from periodic reviews; and in this particular case of the mccanns it is a specially ordered review, more reason to believe Police were given the special task of digging into the truth hopefully with no hold barrel and no behind closed door 'secret instructions' from any quarters of the Authority.

"Either you are naive, obtuse, or deliberately being sutbly rude - that much is obvious".

None of those things, thank you aiyoyo. Merely expressing an opinion (I assume that is allowed on this forum?). And from Inspector Bentley's comments (above) it would seem I was spot on. The police review team are not taking the research work of the Madeleine Foundation sufficiently seriously.

Xavier

Posts : 130
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Guest on 06.10.11 14:38

@Tony Bennett wrote:STATEMENT BY THE METROPOLITAN POLICE 6 OCTOBER 2011

Reproduced below without comment.

STATEMENT by Steve Bentley, Inspector, Directorate of Professional Standards, Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard

QUOTE

My understanding is that the [Scotland Yard Madeleine Mc Cann Review Team] would welcome any evidence that would assist with the enquiry. You state that you have a first hand information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators. This information would obviously be of interest to the team and they would welcome details of this individual to allow them to interview her if she is able to provide relevant evidence. However, information regarding peoples views and suspicions do not constitute evidence. The team are obliged to consider evidence rather than repetition of the myriad of views and beliefs that individuals choose to interpret from the available information.

UNQUOTE


I find that statement rather strange. He uses the word evidence. Evidence is gathered by the police. Surely, it is not up to the public to gather evidence. Members of the public can assist with information. How many times do we see that the police have followed up leads resulting from a tip off, or information from an informant etc. You only have to watch Crime and Investigation channel every night, to see that police act on information received from the public. They act on peoples suspicions and investigate them if they are of any relevance at all to the enquiry.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by aiyoyo on 06.10.11 14:39

My understanding is that the [Scotland
Yard Madeleine Mc Cann Review Team] would welcome any evidence that
would assist with the enquiry. You state that you have a first hand
information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators.
This information would obviously be of interest to the team and they
would welcome details of this individual to allow them to interview her
if she is able to provide relevant evidence. However, information
regarding peoples views and suspicions do not constitute evidence. The
team are obliged to consider evidence rather than repetition of the
myriad of views and beliefs that individuals choose to interpret from
the available information.


xavier
I take it you dont always understand fully what you read (no offence) - which bit indicates SY didnt take TB or MF's work seriously may I ask?

Would it be this bit "....You state that you have a first hand
information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators.
This information would obviously be of interest to the team...."

Selective reading is not prohibited rightfully but selective reading to suit your agenda is quite something else.


Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but unfortunately for you, your opinion gives you away, if I am entitled to say that - which I think I am, just as you to yours!






aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Guest on 06.10.11 15:11

@Tony Bennett wrote:STATEMENT BY THE METROPOLITAN POLICE 6 OCTOBER 2011

Reproduced below without comment.

STATEMENT by Steve Bentley, Inspector, Directorate of Professional Standards, Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard

QUOTE

My understanding is that the [Scotland Yard Madeleine Mc Cann Review Team] would welcome any evidence that would assist with the enquiry. You state that you have a first hand information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators. This information would obviously be of interest to the team and they would welcome details of this individual to allow them to interview her if she is able to provide relevant evidence. However, information regarding peoples views and suspicions do not constitute evidence. The team are obliged to consider evidence rather than repetition of the myriad of views and beliefs that individuals choose to interpret from the available information.

UNQUOTE
It sounds to me like someone is getting a bit worried in the upper ranks, that you may have something of real importance. big grin

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 06.10.11 15:23

Why is an inspector that works for the Met complaints department even commenting on a on-going review?

TheTruthWillOut

Posts : 733
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SY Review Team - Includes STATEMENT 6 Oct by Inspector Steve Bentley

Post by Xavier on 06.10.11 15:24

candyfloss wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:STATEMENT BY THE METROPOLITAN POLICE 6 OCTOBER 2011

Reproduced below without comment.

STATEMENT by Steve Bentley, Inspector, Directorate of Professional Standards, Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard

QUOTE

My understanding is that the [Scotland Yard Madeleine Mc Cann Review Team] would welcome any evidence that would assist with the enquiry. You state that you have a first hand information from an insider from the McCann's private investigators. This information would obviously be of interest to the team and they would welcome details of this individual to allow them to interview her if she is able to provide relevant evidence. However, information regarding peoples views and suspicions do not constitute evidence. The team are obliged to consider evidence rather than repetition of the myriad of views and beliefs that individuals choose to interpret from the available information.

UNQUOTE


I find that statement rather strange. He uses the word evidence. Evidence is gathered by the police. Surely, it is not up to the public to gather evidence. Members of the public can assist with information. How many times do we see that the police have followed up leads resulting from a tip off, or information from an informant etc. You only have to watch Crime and Investigation channel every night, to see that police act on information received from the public. They act on peoples suspicions and investigate them if they are of any relevance at all to the enquiry.

If you read back in the thread, you will see that Mr Bennett introduced the term "evidence" in connection with the dossier of evidence provided by the Madeleine Foundation. I cannot see anything wrong with that personally, but maybe that is why Inspector Bentley uses the term.

Xavier

Posts : 130
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum