The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Cheshire Cat on 24.09.11 16:46



Dr Gerald McCann doesn't like to publicise his medical achievements. But he appears to be making a significant contribution to cardiovascular innovation. Collectively, there was a heck of a lot of medical expertise at the Ocean Club and I can see a moral argument being put forward for protecting the whole group if this would mean thousands of lives being saved in the future. I am not putting forward this argument but I am suggesting others may have done and continue to do so. Particularly if the group actually tried to revive Madeleine, but failed.

Three of Gerrys recent achivements: Medical Futures Innovation Awards 2011 (Cardiovascular):

1. This year's award won by Dr Fernando Schlindwein, of the Department of Engineering at the University of Leicester, along with Dr Will Nicolson, Dr G Andre Ng, Dr Geoff Whiteley and Dr Gerry McCann of the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust.

A team from the University of Leicester based at Glenfield Hospital was today named as one of winners at the Medical Futures Innovation Awards, Europe’s leading showcase of early-stage innovation in healthcare, for a new technology which will identify people at risk of lethal heart rhythm disturbances. The award was presented by TV executive, Michael Mosley at a high-profile ceremony in central London in front of 700 leaders in medicine, politics and business. The event was hosted by comedian Rory Bremner and Dynasty actress Emma Samms, founder of the children’s charity Starlight. A Medical Futures Innovation Award is one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades, rewarding innovative ideas from front line clinicians, scientists and entrepreneurs. Dr Will Nicolson of the winning team said: "Winning this award will give us an invaluable opportunity to attract interest and investment into LifeMapTM. Dr Nicolson, Clinical Research Fellow at the Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, has been working under the supervision of Dr G. André Ng, Senior Lecturer in Cardiology and Dr Gerry McCann, Cardiac Imaging Specialist at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust with support from Dr Fernando Schlindwein, Senior Lecturer in Engineering on a novel technique for sudden cardiac death risk assessment. http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2011/june/team-from-university-of-leicester-win-at-http://www.medicalfutures.co.uk/medical-futures-innovation-awards-2011

2. An MRI scan to compare treatments for heart attacks
11 November 2010 A new study in the area of cardiac research will compare ‘complete primary percutaneous coronary intervention’ (P-PCI) with ‘lesion-only’ P-PCI. This EME award is for a sub-study of the CVLPRIT trial and is led by Dr Gerald McCann of the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. This is the first project to be funded under the programme’s fast-track scheme. Heart attacks are usually caused by blood clots forming in narrowed heart arteries. If the patient has an important narrowing in another artery in addition to their blocked artery it can be difficult to decide whether this other narrowing should be treated at the same time as the blockage causing the heart attack. There are no definitive studies to tell heart specialists what to do for the best.
http://www.eme.ac.uk/news_and_events/111110%20news%20item.asp

3. The £15,000 Clinical Impact Award was won by a team of doctors from Leicester. Dr Will Nicholson, from the University of Leicester, Dr Andre Ng and Dr Gerry McCann, from University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, beat tough competition from across the region to take the SHA prize. Kathy McLean, Medical Director and Lead Director for Innovation at NHS East Midlands, said: “We are delighted to have sponsored the Clinical Impact Award as part of the 2010 Da Vinci Health Technology Awards". http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=0CDcQFjAFOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthcareinnovationexpo.com%2Fimages%2Flibrary%2Ffiles%2FEast%2520Midlands%2520SHA%2F10-03-17DaVinci_awardsfinalnotts_(2)(2).doc&rct=j&q=%22dr%20gerry%20mccann%22%20-madeleine&ei=7e19TqXjFsaY1AXp6_XgDw&usg=AFQjCNGlce5-Bk4WoIdjR1HSyS97mXImQw

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Guest on 25.09.11 8:32

@Cheshire Cat wrote:Dr Will Nicolson of the winning team said: "Winning this award will give us an invaluable opportunity to attract interest and investment into LifeMap.
This is what this award is all about. The need to raise investment money. Funny that the identities of all the judges are on a fast rolling sequence, barely giving you time to read their names, let alone make a note of them. Who are they and how did they get their? Who sponsors this award?
The key word here is LIFE and it will be popping up all over the place. This LIFE, that LIFE, LIFE this, LIFE that.
In Portugal 2007, I feel that that the money was brought to the medics and it is the investors and their money that is being protected.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Guest on 25.09.11 8:49

On Thursday, November 18, 2010, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for LIFEMAP by ROCHE DIAGNOSTICS GMBH, . The USPTO has given the LIFEMAP trademark serial number of 85179724. The current federal status of this trademark filing is NOTICE OF ALLOWANCE - ISSUED. The correspondent listed for LIFEMAP is D. MICHAEL YOUNG of ROCHE DIAGNOSTICS OPERATIONS, INC., 9115 HAGUE ROAD, INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46250 . The LIFEMAP trademark is filed in the category of Education and Entertainment Services , Medical, Beauty & Agricultural Services . The description provided to the USPTO for LIFEMAP is education and teaching services, namely, providing guidance, classes, workshops and seminars in the field of diabetes management, publication of printed products, namely, books, brochures, leaflets, and journals related to the field of diabetes for professionals and patients.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Cheshire Cat on 25.09.11 12:47

Stella wrote:
@Cheshire Cat wrote:Dr Will Nicolson of the winning team said: "Winning this award will give us an invaluable opportunity to attract interest and investment into LifeMap.
This is what this award is all about. The need to raise investment money. Funny that the identities of all the judges are on a fast rolling sequence, barely giving you time to read their names, let alone make a note of them. Who are they and how did they get their? Who sponsors this award?
The key word here is LIFE and it will be popping up all over the place. This LIFE, that LIFE, LIFE this, LIFE that.
In Portugal 2007, I feel that that the money was brought to the medics and it is the investors and their money that is being protected.

I think the reasons for protection is multifaceted. I believe Gerry McCann is a "leading light" in the cardiovascular community and his skills in this field would have given him much support and sympathy from influencial people in the NHS, public sector and the health care business. He has shown that he has the potential to innovate and inspire others to innovate in the field of cardiology: he is a specialist and anyone of us could benefit from his work! I also believe that he was in Praia Da Luz in his role as a specialist to contribute to a medical project, nothing sinister.

Other facets of the protection are the fact that there were other British Government interests present such as Weinberger (Enigma Diagnostics being in part public ownership) as well as Philip Edmonds being a nephew of Margaret Hodge. The protection itself seemed to extend to interferring with the Portuguese Police investigation by ensuring certain information stayed in the hands of Leicestershire Police i.e. the Gaspar statements, which is very sinister indeed!

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Daisy on 26.09.11 12:10

@Cheshire Cat wrote:

I think the reasons for protection is multifaceted. I believe Gerry McCann is a "leading light" in the cardiovascular community and his skills in this field would have given him much support and sympathy from influencial people in the NHS, public sector and the health care business. He has shown that he has the potential to innovate and inspire others to innovate in the field of cardiology: he is a specialist and anyone of us could benefit from his work! I also believe that he was in Praia Da Luz in his role as a specialist to contribute to a medical project, nothing sinister.

Other facets of the protection are the fact that there were other British Government interests present such as Weinberger (Enigma Diagnostics being in part public ownership) as well as Philip Edmonds being a nephew of Margaret Hodge. The protection itself seemed to extend to interferring with the Portuguese Police investigation by ensuring certain information stayed in the hands of Leicestershire Police i.e. the Gaspar statements, which is very sinister indeed!

What If, and this is a big IF (just ideas not a fully thought out theory), this 'medical project' was about Madeleine? Supposing Madeleine was really ill with a condition so rare that she needed pioneering treatment/surgery that couldn't be carried out in the UK for some reason? What If, the McCanns and colleagues went to Portugal in a last ditch attempt to save Madeleines life? It would certainly make sense of their comments. GM: "I'm not here to enjoy myself" KM:"We've let her down". Also, the Mcanns trip (Kates first ever visit) to Donegal (April 2007) to visit family, and the trip to Skipton (Feb 2007), again to visit family makes me think they could have been taking Madeleine to say goodbye to relatives, just in case she didn't make it.

It was after reading some of Gerry Mccanns numerous papers that these thoughts came to me; in particular, this most recent one dated July 2011:

Giant cell myocarditis: an unusual presentation.

Ali D, Alzuwam A, McCann GP, Been M, Osman F.
Source

1Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Coventry, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK.

Abstract

Giant
cell myocarditis is a rare but often devastating disease affecting
young, otherwise healthy individuals. Patients often die of heart
failure and ventricular arrhythmia unless cardiac transplantation is
performed. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging with or without cardiac
biopsy can be helpful in making the correct diagnosis and ensuring that
correct timely treatment is administered.


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21778186

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Marian on 26.09.11 12:32

Daisy: I must admit to having a problem with your idea simply because Madeleine had died in the manner that you suggest, why would there then have been the need to pretend she was missing and raise funds to "help find her"? I keep coming back to the unpleasant thought that this was all preplanned for financial reasons.

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Daisy on 26.09.11 13:06

@Marian wrote:Daisy: I must admit to having a problem with your idea simply because Madeleine had died in the manner that you suggest, why would there then have been the need to pretend she was missing and raise funds to "help find her"? I keep coming back to the unpleasant thought that this was all preplanned for financial reasons.

Marian, yes I admit my ideas throw up many more unanswerable questions. But, whatever manner she may have died in leaves the same question you ask. Besides, I've never been 100% certain that she is dead. I agree with your last statement. I believe this was preplanned and the facts speak for themselves about the financial side; the McCanns have most definitely gained financially.

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Miraflores on 26.09.11 13:39

What If, and this is a big IF (just ideas not a fully thought out
theory), this 'medical project' was about Madeleine? Supposing Madeleine
was really ill with a condition so rare that she needed pioneering
treatment/surgery that couldn't be carried out in the UK for some
reason? What If, the McCanns and colleagues went to Portugal in a last
ditch attempt to save Madeleines life? It would certainly make sense of
their comments. GM: "I'm not here to enjoy myself" KM:"We've let her
down". Also, the Mcanns trip (Kates first ever visit) to Donegal (April
2007) to visit family, and the trip to Skipton (Feb 2007), again to
visit family makes me think they could have been taking Madeleine to say
goodbye to relatives, just in case she didn't make it.

If this was the case - why go to Praia da Luz? I can't see that such a small out of the way place would have the medical facilities for pioneering work. Now, if they had been staying somewhere near Lisbon that would be more plausible.

I do think it's possible that Madeleine had some medical condition which made her more susceptible to early death - or maybe, made a blow to the head more likely to be fatal than it would to a healthy individual.

Miraflores

Posts : 845
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sorry, I still don't think he a great researcher

Post by tigger on 26.09.11 14:37

In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.
NHS has been very slow in introducing MRI and that is why he had to go abroad to do the 'course'.
I've read the paper, it's fairly simple, most laymen would understand it. I've also read a paper by him on drugging in athletes, average if not below.
Gerry is simply not a researcher, he is a politician and in normal circumstances he'd have made it quite high up in the NHS.
Take note that all this publicity and prize giving is excellent for fund raising and who better to rope in for fund raising?

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Daisy on 26.09.11 16:08

@Miraflores wrote:

If this was the case - why go to Praia da Luz? I can't see that such a small out of the way place would have the medical facilities for pioneering work. Now, if they had been staying somewhere near Lisbon that would be more plausible.

I do think it's possible that Madeleine had some medical condition which made her more susceptible to early death - or maybe, made a blow to the head more likely to be fatal than it would to a healthy individual.

No, not in Praia Da Luz, but just a little further afield (Lagos, Faro) you will find excellent private hospitals with state of the art medical facilities that allow "advanced surgical techniques". Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.fly2doc.com/public/Text.php?text_id=44§ion_id=3&medical_speciality_id=2

http://netdoctor.privatehealth.co.uk/surgery-and-treatments/surgery-abroad/hospital-sao-goncalo-surgery/

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Xavier on 26.09.11 16:19

@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2006 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.
NHS has been very slow in introducing MRI and that is why he had to go abroad to do the 'course'.
I've read the paper, it's fairly simple, most laymen would understand it. I've also read a paper by him on drugging in athletes, average if not below.
Gerry is simply not a researcher, he is a politician and in normal circumstances he'd have made it quite high up in the NHS.
Take note that all this publicity and prize giving is excellent for fund raising and who better to rope in for fund raising?



Far be it from me to defend the McCanns but surely most medical research, especially where it involves a study involving a number of patients, is a team effort and therefore the under most referencing systems most papers will be in the form of "Dr A N Other et al".

Xavier

Posts : 130
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yes, quite

Post by tigger on 26.09.11 16:30

@Xavier wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2006 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.
NHS has been very slow in introducing MRI and that is why he had to go abroad to do the 'course'.
I've read the paper, it's fairly simple, most laymen would understand it. I've also read a paper by him on drugging in athletes, average if not below.
Gerry is simply not a researcher, he is a politician and in normal circumstances he'd have made it quite high up in the NHS.
Take note that all this publicity and prize giving is excellent for fund raising and who better to rope in for fund raising?



Far be it from me to defend the McCanns but surely most medical research, especially where it involves a study involving a number of patients, is a team effort and therefore the under most referencing systems most papers will be in the form of "Dr A N Other et al".

I'm just not convinced Dr. McCann is a 'leading light' in this particular field. Since most NHS trusts are vying for the same prizes, it would be better to see if this 'ground breaking research' is taking place in other NHS trusts or University Hospitals. Indeed what prizes are awarded to other institutions for similar work.
I also notice the 'branding' of the product: 'LIFE'.
I would be just this sceptical if I'd never heard of McCann, I had very good tutors who'd give me a bunch of articles to evaluate.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

marian's post

Post by russiandoll on 26.09.11 17:09

Marian can you please elaborate for this relative newcomer to this forum.....what exactly was preplanned for financial reasons?

russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Daisy on 26.09.11 17:22

@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester


http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks Daisy

Post by tigger on 26.09.11 20:00

@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester


http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

Now I see that the Glenfield trust is affiliated to the University of Leicester it's understandable that he is publishing. However, even if his name is first over a period of 7 years on 5 of the papers, they are still a group effort. Often, the person instigating the paper will request a contribution from various colleagues or permission to use excerpts from published work by them.
He had a fellowship to learn the MRI, you can't get that without publishing anything. Same with grants, etc. To get a grant you have to publish. Has he had anything in the Lancet yet?

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dr Gerry McCann - Nationally Recognised Expert

Post by Cheshire Cat on 26.09.11 22:56

I agree with you Daisy. I believe GM is highly respected in his field. Three more examples:

Dear Colleague,We would like to invite you to the next North West Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance meeting, to be held on Wednesday 10th February 2010 at the Education and Research Centre (Lecture Theatre 2), Wythenshawe Hospital. We are delighted to announce that there will be two guest speakers for this meeting. Dr Vivek Muthurangu, Senior Clinical Research Fellow, UCL, will be talking about CMR physics and Dr Gerry McCann, Consultant Cardiologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, University Hospitals Leicester, will be talking about the role of CMR in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

BII SYMPOSIUM: 2ND MARCH CardiovascularSpeakers: Dr Matthias Schmitt, Dr Gerry McCann, Dr Simon Ray, Chris Miller, Dr Parthi Arumugam Date: 2nd March 2011, 1-4pm (with lunch from 12-1pm) Room 1.006, A.V. Hill building Our external Guest speaker Dr Gerry McCann (Consultant Cardiologist and Senior Lecturer at Leicester University Hospitals) will present his original research on the role of CMR in Aortic Stenosis.http://www.bii.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/newsletters/February_2011_Newsletter.pdf

But most impressive of all, Dr McCann is included in the speaking faculty of NATIONALLY RECOGNISED EXPERTS IN CARDIAC MEDICINE for this event that was held in London earlier this month and will be repeated in Manchester in November.http://www.bhsoc.org/pdfs/Best%20Practice%20in%20Cardiology%202011%20Brochure.pdf

Given all of this, I really can't see Scotland yard planning to do anything other than give the McCanns a 'clean bill of health'!

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by littlepixie on 27.09.11 0:20

Going out on the p*ss and leaving his three young kids on their own doesn't seem to have done his career much harm then does it?

I always chuckle about the Sandra Felguiras interview when she asked Gerry about the abductor and who he was almost caught by and he squeaked, "By Jane"

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Cheshire Cat on 27.09.11 0:27

@littlepixie wrote:Going out on the p*ss and leaving his three young kids on their own doesn't seem to have done his career much harm then does it?

I always chuckle about the Sandra Felguiras interview when she asked Gerry about the abductor and who he was almost caught by and he squeaked, "By Jane"

Thats right Littlepixie, his career has continued as if nothing happened.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by lj on 27.09.11 14:25

@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester



http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

UUUMM no. As a cardiologist you're supposed to very regular publish. His number of articles and the contend show him as mediocre at best.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3274
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That's what I think

Post by tigger on 27.09.11 19:19

@lj wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester



http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

UUUMM no. As a cardiologist you're supposed to very regular publish. His number of articles and the contend show him as mediocre at best.

I really think that the words 'revered' and 'Gerry McCann' should never be associated. 'Ground-breaking research' isn't so much what comes to mind as 'jumping' and 'bandwagon'.
From his actions, interviews and self-serving publicity, I would say he missed his calling in politics or commerce. MRI isn't new in heart diagnostics. I have a friend who is an eminent oncologist, wrote the first book on chemotherapy of cancer. She had a good grounding in physics and mathematics as well. Says most research isn't worth the paper. Just a method of getting grants. No, I'm still not impressed. You should read his paper on drugs and athletes, practically A level stuff.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Daisy on 27.09.11 20:37

@tigger wrote:
@lj wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester



http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

UUUMM no. As a cardiologist you're supposed to very regular publish. His number of articles and the contend show him as mediocre at best.

I really think that the words 'revered' and 'Gerry McCann' should never be associated. 'Ground-breaking research' isn't so much what comes to mind as 'jumping' and 'bandwagon'.
From his actions, interviews and self-serving publicity, I would say he missed his calling in politics or commerce. MRI isn't new in heart diagnostics. I have a friend who is an eminent oncologist, wrote the first book on chemotherapy of cancer. She had a good grounding in physics and mathematics as well. Says most research isn't worth the paper. Just a method of getting grants. No, I'm still not impressed. You should read his paper on drugs and athletes, practically A level stuff.

Taking into account the extra information that cheshire cat has posted, I still think Mr McCann is revered 'in his profession'. So I'll have to agree to diagree with you and lj on that one. His sex life might have suffered after 'losing' Madeleine, but his career certainly doesn't appear to have.

Please note, I said: "revered in his profession". It wouldn't matter to me if he'd wrote a thousand papers he still wouldn't have my respect. I completely agree with your friend, the funding goes to those that write what their masters (big pharma) dictate. Quackery & junk science gets the funding not the good scientists/Dr's, they don't get a look- in, only ridicule. So you don't need to convince me on that one. I avoid modern medicine like the plague. (I have my own cure all thank you! Wink) Anyways... this quote sums up my philosophy on the matter:

”Just look at us. Everything is backwards.
Everything is upside-down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy
justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom,
the major media destroy information, and religion destroy spirituallity
.” - Michael Ellner.

____________________
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”   

Unknown


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

Posts : 1245
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Yorkshire, England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by ufercoffy on 27.09.11 20:44

@Daisy wrote:”Just look at us. Everything is backwards.
Everything is upside-down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy
justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom,
the major media destroy information, and religion destroy spirituallity
.” - Michael Ellner.

And this case destroys anything else that might be left over. banghead

____________________
Whose cadaver scent and bodily fluid was found in the McCann's apartment and hire car if not Madeleine's?  Shocked

ufercoffy

Posts : 1641
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-01-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by Cheshire Cat on 27.09.11 20:57

@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:
@lj wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@tigger wrote:In all the publicity where his name appears, it's in a team effort, only one team is led by him and that is for the MRI scanning, which he learned in 2005 in Amsterdam. The subsequent paper produced was by him and 'et al'. So no ground breaking research, just a fellowship and report at the end of it.

Got to disagree here tigger. I think GM is more revered in his profession than perhaps you realise. Here's a list of his papers; it looks to me as if he took the lead on at least five of them.

Recent Papers

Recent papers by Dr Gerry McCann, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester



http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/cardiovascular-sciences/people/mccann/papers

UUUMM no. As a cardiologist you're supposed to very regular publish. His number of articles and the contend show him as mediocre at best.

I really think that the words 'revered' and 'Gerry McCann' should never be associated. 'Ground-breaking research' isn't so much what comes to mind as 'jumping' and 'bandwagon'.
From his actions, interviews and self-serving publicity, I would say he missed his calling in politics or commerce. MRI isn't new in heart diagnostics. I have a friend who is an eminent oncologist, wrote the first book on chemotherapy of cancer. She had a good grounding in physics and mathematics as well. Says most research isn't worth the paper. Just a method of getting grants. No, I'm still not impressed. You should read his paper on drugs and athletes, practically A level stuff.

Taking into account the extra information that cheshire cat has posted, I still think Mr McCann is revered 'in his profession'. So I'll have to agree to diagree with you and lj on that one. His sex life might have suffered after 'losing' Madeleine, but his career certainly doesn't appear to have.

Please note, I said: "revered in his profession". It wouldn't matter to me if he'd wrote a thousand papers he still wouldn't have my respect. I completely agree with your friend, the funding goes to those that write what their masters (big pharma) dictate. Quackery & junk science gets the funding not the good scientists/Dr's, they don't get a look- in, only ridicule. So you don't need to convince me on that one. I avoid modern medicine like the plague. (I have my own cure all thank you! Wink) Anyways... this quote sums up my philosophy on the matter:

”Just look at us. Everything is backwards.
Everything is upside-down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy
justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom,
the major media destroy information, and religion destroy spirituallity
.” - Michael Ellner.
I have been looking at GM assess whether he may have been at the Ocean Club for a meeting where he would have sat at the table as the Cardio / MRI expert. I believe that assumption is borne out by the examples provided in this thread. The link below is the best practice event where GM spoke recently, in the publicity for the event he was referred to as one of the "NATIONALLY RECOGNISED EXPERTS IN CARDIAC MEDICINE" http://www.pri-medupdates.co.uk/meetings/london/cardiology/autumn2011/speakers

Dr Gerry McCann
Consultant Cardiologist; Glenfield Hospital and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester
Dr McCann graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1992 where he also undertook a BSc in Physiology and Sports Science. Initial postgraduate training was undertaken in Glasgow and New Zealand before completing his MD in Glasgow looking at mechanisms of exercise intolerance in Aortic Stenosis(AS). Registrar training was undertaken in Leicester and completed in Amsterdam at the VUMC as part of an ESC sponsored Clinical Training Fellowship in cardiac MRI. Dr McCann was appointed as a consultant cardiologist with subspecialist interest in imaging at Glenfield Hospital in 2005. He has an active research programme funded by the BHF and NIHR and has recently completed a project using MRI to assess the importance of LVH, myocardial fibrosis and perfusion reserve in patients with severe AS before and after aortic valve replacement. Further clinical trials in AS are planned.


Dr Gerry McCann
Consultant Cardiologist; Glenfield Hospital and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester
Dr McCann graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1992 where he also undertook a BSc in Physiology and Sports Science. Initial postgraduate training was undertaken in Glasgow and New Zealand before completing his MD in Glasgow looking at mechanisms of exercise intolerance in Aortic Stenosis(AS). Registrar training was undertaken in Leicester and completed in Amsterdam at the VUMC as part of an ESC sponsored Clinical Training Fellowship in cardiac MRI. Dr McCann was appointed as a consultant cardiologist with subspecialist interest in imaging at Glenfield Hospital in 2005. He has an active research programme funded by the BHF and NIHR and has recently completed a project using MRI to assess the importance of LVH, myocardial fibrosis and perfusion reserve in patients with severe AS before and after aortic valve replacement. Further clinical trials in AS are planned.


Dr Gerry McCann
Consultant Cardiologist; Glenfield Hospital and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester
Dr McCann graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1992 where he also undertook a BSc in Physiology and Sports Science. Initial postgraduate training was undertaken in Glasgow and New Zealand before completing his MD in Glasgow looking at mechanisms of exercise intolerance in Aortic Stenosis(AS). Registrar training was undertaken in Leicester and completed in Amsterdam at the VUMC as part of an ESC sponsored Clinical Training Fellowship in cardiac MRI. Dr McCann was appointed as a consultant cardiologist with subspecialist interest in imaging at Glenfield Hospital in 2005. He has an active research programme funded by the BHF and NIHR and has recently completed a project using MRI to assess the importance of LVH, myocardial fibrosis and perfusion reserve in patients with severe AS before and after aortic valve replacement. Further clinical trials in AS are planned.


Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann helps Glenfield to win one of Europe’s most prestigious healthcare and business accolades

Post by littlepixie on 27.09.11 21:44

@ufercoffy wrote:
@Daisy wrote:”Just look at us. Everything is backwards.
Everything is upside-down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy
justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom,
the major media destroy information, and religion destroy spirituallity
.” - Michael Ellner.

And this case destroys anything else that might be left over.

Right becomes wrong and wrong becomes right - it is happening before our very eyes.

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum