The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Home Alone - Yahoo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Home Alone - Yahoo

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 24.08.11 21:47

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/when-can-you-leave-your-child-home-alone.html

Just happened accross this when logging into Yahoo and thought it might be of interest. Have seen similar before, this is on there now.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Home Alone - Yahoo

Post by Guest on 24.08.11 21:59

NSPCC parenting advisor Eileen Hayes says a number of factors should always be considered before leaving your little one: their age, their level of maturity, the place he or she will be left and for how long you will be gone.

That's a quote from the link you gave.

And this is a quote from Eileen Hayes, the NSPCC's parenting adviser, in an article on my blog:

“I once left my baby in the car for a brief time and when I came back, a policeman was waiting for me,” she says. “It's not illegal but it was embarrassing, and if anything had happened I'd have been done for neglect.

Seems she was more concerned about being 'done for neglect' than the possibility of her child coming to harm.

http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.com/search/?q=eileen+hayes

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 26.08.11 2:27

Funny how the article is at the family GP page.
You think it means a GP (temporary or not) should know about what is reasonable parenting?? Seems hotlipshealy and her hubby skipped that class.

Also funny how nowhere in this article it states it is reasonable or even responsible parenting to leave young children alone.

Nah, everyone knows except the stupid tapas bunch.

Geez I would not even trust them with my goldfish.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on 26.08.11 7:35

From the Telegraph referring to the NSPCC website

"Ins and outs
Never leave babies or young children alone, whether sleeping or awake, even for a few minutes.
Most children under 13 are not mature enough to cope with an emergency and should be left alone for only a short time.
f you go out, leave clear instructions about what to do in an emergency (particularly fire, when the basic advice is get out, stay out and get someone to call 999). Tell your children not to answer the door if there's an unexpected caller. Leave a phone number where you can be contacted.
Only leave a child, particularly with younger siblings, if they are confident about being left.
If in doubt, don't."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3356095/When-is-your-baby-too-old-for-a-sitter.html
Looking at various UK official sites I think that the McCanns should at least have been charged with "Neglect of Supervision" The link I have given is from The Royal Society of Paediatricians and is their Child Welfare Companion printed in 2006 (before Madeleine went missing).

"6.10.2 Forms of neglect
These include:
(a) Neglect of a child’s physical needs, e.g. nutrition/hygiene/clothing.
(b) Neglect of a child’s medical needs.
(c) Neglect of supervision and lack of awareness of safety issue"

http://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Child%20Protection%20Companion.pdf

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 26.08.11 19:47

[quote="Gillyspot"]
(c) Neglect of supervision and lack of awareness of safety issue"

But they covered both, surely.
Madeleine was supervising the twins, and the parents left the patio door unlocked in case of fire.
"No case to answer, Worshipful Master, sorry - M'Lud."

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Second thought letting your children walk home

Post by angela.smith on 02.11.12 10:10

Parents have a second thought of letting their children walking home alone from school. Worry no more I just read a blog that really stuck me to the core. A mother, writing about her own child's safety. This is it: http://www.tsue-thatswhatshesaid.com/2011/08/your-childs-safety-your-piece-of-mind.html

angela.smith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 02.11.12 10:35

@angela.smith wrote:Parents have a second thought of letting their children walking home alone from school. Worry no more I just read a blog that really stuck me to the core. A mother, writing about her own child's safety. This is it: http://www.tsue-thatswhatshesaid.com/2011/08/your-childs-safety-your-piece-of-mind.html
Jaycee Dugard was taken on her way to school because her mother's then boyfriend had refused to drive her. I admire the strength of her character and inner resilience in trying to overcome nearly two decades of horrendous ordeal, and her mother's unwavering faith in her being alive and her love which naturally and unquestioningly extended to her two daughters when they were reunited.

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.11.12 10:45

Jaycee's abduction was witnessed by her stepfather - her mother's husband and the only father she had ever known. I've never heard mention of a boyfriend who refused to drive her to school and, even if that is what happened, it would not have been his fault that she was abducted.

Inevitably the stepfather was the number one suspect and that helped to bring his marriage to an end.

I certainly admire Jaycee for her strength and courage in being able to survive her ordeal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 02.11.12 11:10

Jean wrote:Jaycee's abduction was witnessed by her stepfather - her mother's husband and the only father she had ever known. I've never heard mention of a boyfriend who refused to drive her to school and, even if that is what happened, it would not have been his fault that she was abducted.

Inevitably the stepfather was the number one suspect and that helped to bring his marriage to an end.

I certainly admire Jaycee for her stength and courage in being able to survive her ordeal.
Sorry you are absolutely correct. I was writing from my memory without checking first. flag Carl was her stepfather at the time, not boyfriend, and the father of her stepsister who was only 18 month old when Jaycee was abducted.

I've always thought that when we moved in with Carl, he convinced my mom that it was time that I started walking to school by myself because I had never done it before. I don't think my mom liked the idea very much, but she couldn't be there to drive me in the morning because she had to go to work early, so that left Carl to take me and sometimes he would and sometimes he wouldn't be there, so I had to walk...

I posted it because I thought the above passage from her book was relevant to angela.smith's earlier post.

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum