The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

What is happening to this country?

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What is happening to this country?

Post by BrokenBritain on 11.08.11 11:17

I don't think you can say anyone under 18 cannot have a mobile phone when 16 year old are legally allowed to get married and have babies.

BrokenBritain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 11.08.11 11:43

@BrokenBritain wrote:These kids have witnessed for themselves the MP's expenses scandal and the Phone Hacking scandal - they see these rich people abusing the system and getting rich with ill-gotten gains to pay for second homes they don't even have - and they see them get away with it. I'm not condoning what these rioters have done but they have learned by those in power - MP's and police - that the way to have a better life is to steal from the taxpayer and the poor. If MP's and police can do it why can't they? A lot of these kids stole a pair of trainers or a mobile phone while MP's stole thousands of pounds to pay for a better lifestyle of second homes and floating duck islands. The Prime Minister said these kids were a pocket of society that is sick. What does he call his thieving MP's and police? Are they sick aswell? He and his MP's are role models and these kids are doing the same thing with the means they have available. Yes, the kids will be punished but they have nothing to lose anyway.

Would that be second luxurious home for the ducks? lol

And so far no MP has been jailed for the offend of stealing from taxpayers, nor police for accepting bribes. So jailing these looters who stole a trainer or whatever even for a day is more than what the MP and police got.

Life is so unjust, it's exactly what the poor is against - government who don't set good example yet squeezed them dry to feed their lifestyle.

The Prime Minister should examine his policy and system that causes the pocket of sick society. The decadent state of the country is a reflection of poor governance and the Prime Minister should be ashamed he leads the country into further deterioration.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 11.08.11 11:52

@BrokenBritain wrote:I don't think you can say anyone under 18 cannot have a mobile phone when 16 year old are legally allowed to get married and have babies.

Not when they use it to organise crime.
Having babies is different, its not a crime against others at least.

Even if not permanently, it's probably worth a thought to have them banned for a temporary period to contain the spread of riot.

The reason the riot can be organised so quickly is the use of sms texting I believe mostly on blackberry phones (from what I read). I read the police are monitoring FB and tweeters.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 12.08.11 0:57

@SkyNewsBreak Richard Mannington Bowes, 68, who was set upon as he tried to stamp out a fire during riots in Ealing has died

So sad. He was a hero

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 12.08.11 1:01

So we have a millionaires 19 year old daughter arrested & charged for looting, a 31 year old teacher, an 18 year old girl who was an ambassador for the next years London Olympics charged twice...once for throwing bricks at a police car and again for smashing a mobile phone shop. She says this was the best day of her life!

What can you say. Its not just kids and the depraved who were rioting and looting

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.08.11 9:05

The middle class 'rioters' revealed:

The millionaire's daughter, the aspiring musician and the organic chef all in the dock

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:56 AM on 12th August 2011

Poverty, social exclusion, poor education - these are just some of the theories put forward to explain the recent rioting.
Yet shockingly, among those in the dock accused of looting are a millionaire's grammar school daughter, a ballet student and an organic chef.

Here are some of those allegedly involved...

Millionaire's daughter: Laura Johnson, 19, was charged with stealing £5,000-worth of electronic goods including TVs and mobile phones
THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL GIRL:

Millionaire's daughter Laura Johnson, 19, was charged with stealing £5,000-worth of electronic goods, including a Toshiba TV, Goodmans TV, microwave and mobile phones.

The goods were allegedly found in a car being driven by Miss Johnson after a branch of Comet in Charlton, south-east London, was raided.

Bexleyheath magistrates heard that a 'public order kit' of balaclava, gloves and a bandana was also found in the car.

Miss Johnson attended St Olave's Grammar School in Orpington, Kent, the fourth best performing state school in the country, after transferring from its sister school Newstead Wood.

She achieved A*s in French, English literature, classical civilisation and geography A-levels, and is now studying English and Italian at Exeter University.

Her parents, Robert and Lindsay Johnson, live in a large detached farmhouse in Orpington. It has extensive grounds and a tennis court. They sold their previous house, near Greenwich, for £930,000 in 2006.

Miss Johnson's parents, who supported her in court, run Avongate, a direct marketing company.

Her father is a businessman with directorships in several companies. He was a director in a company that took over the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport newspapers in 2007.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025068/Revealed-middle-class-rioters-The-aspiring-musician-organic-chef-millionaires-daughter-dock-accused-looting.html#ixzz1UndlYVK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.08.11 11:58

Peter Oborne is the Daily Telegraph's chief political commentator.

The moral decay of our society is as bad at the top as the bottom

By Peter Oborne Politics Last updated: August 11th, 2011

David Cameron, Ed Miliband and the entire British political class came together yesterday to denounce the rioters. They were of course right to say that the actions of these looters, arsonists and muggers were abhorrent and criminal, and that the police should be given more support.

But there was also something very phony and hypocritical about all the shock and outrage expressed in parliament. MPs spoke about the week’s dreadful events as if they were nothing to do with them.

I cannot accept that this is the case. Indeed, I believe that the criminality in our streets cannot be dissociated from the moral disintegration in the highest ranks of modern British society. The last two decades have seen a terrifying decline in standards among the British governing elite. It has become acceptable for our politicians to lie and to cheat. An almost universal culture of selfishness and greed has grown up.

It is not just the feral youth of Tottenham who have forgotten they have duties as well as rights. So have the feral rich of Chelsea and Kensington. A few years ago, my wife and I went to a dinner party in a large house in west London. A security guard prowled along the street outside, and there was much talk of the “north-south divide”, which I took literally for a while until I realised that my hosts were facetiously referring to the difference between those who lived north and south of Kensington High Street.

Most of the people in this very expensive street were every bit as deracinated and cut off from the rest of Britain as the young, unemployed men and women who have caused such terrible damage over the last few days. For them, the repellent Financial Times magazine How to Spend It is a bible. I’d guess that few of them bother to pay British tax if they can avoid it, and that fewer still feel the sense of obligation to society that only a few decades ago came naturally to the wealthy and better off.

Yet we celebrate people who live empty lives like this. A few weeks ago, I noticed an item in a newspaper saying that the business tycoon Sir Richard Branson was thinking of moving his headquarters to Switzerland. This move was represented as a potential blow to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, because it meant less tax revenue.

I couldn’t help thinking that in a sane and decent world such a move would be a blow to Sir Richard, not the Chancellor. People would note that a prominent and wealthy businessman was avoiding British tax and think less of him. Instead, he has a knighthood and is widely feted. The same is true of the brilliant retailer Sir Philip Green. Sir Philip’s businesses could never survive but for Britain’s famous social and political stability, our transport system to shift his goods and our schools to educate his workers.

Yet Sir Philip, who a few years ago sent an extraordinary £1 billion dividend offshore, seems to have little intention of paying for much of this. Why does nobody get angry or hold him culpable? I know that he employs expensive tax lawyers and that everything he does is legal, but he surely faces ethical and moral questions just as much as does a young thug who breaks into one of Sir Philip’s shops and steals from it?
Our politicians – standing sanctimoniously on their hind legs in the Commons yesterday – are just as bad. They have shown themselves prepared to ignore common decency and, in some cases, to break the law. David Cameron is happy to have some of the worst offenders in his Cabinet. Take the example of Francis Maude, who is charged with tackling public sector waste – which trade unions say is a euphemism for waging war on low‑paid workers. Yet Mr Maude made tens of thousands of pounds by breaching the spirit, though not the law, surrounding MPs’ allowances.

A great deal has been made over the past few days of the greed of the rioters for consumer goods, not least by Rotherham MP Denis MacShane who accurately remarked, “What the looters wanted was for a few minutes to enter the world of Sloane Street consumption.” This from a man who notoriously claimed £5,900 for eight laptops. Of course, as an MP he obtained these laptops legally through his expenses.

Yesterday, the veteran Labour MP Gerald Kaufman asked the Prime Minister to consider how these rioters can be “reclaimed” by society. Yes, this is indeed the same Gerald Kaufman who submitted a claim for three months’ expenses totalling £14,301.60, which included £8,865 for a Bang & Olufsen television.

Or take the Salford MP Hazel Blears, who has been loudly calling for draconian action against the looters. I find it very hard to make any kind of ethical distinction between Blears’s expense cheating and tax avoidance, and the straight robbery carried out by the looters.

The Prime Minister showed no sign that he understood that something stank about yesterday’s Commons debate. He spoke of morality, but only as something which applies to the very poor: “We will restore a stronger sense of morality and responsibility – in every town, in every street and in every estate.” He appeared not to grasp that this should apply to the rich and powerful as well.

The tragic truth is that Mr Cameron is himself guilty of failing this test. It is scarcely six weeks since he jauntily turned up at the News International summer party, even though the media group was at the time subject to not one but two police investigations. Even more notoriously, he awarded a senior Downing Street job to the former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, even though he knew at the time that Coulson had resigned after criminal acts were committed under his editorship. The Prime Minister excused his wretched judgment by proclaiming that “everybody deserves a second chance”. It was very telling yesterday that he did not talk of second chances as he pledged exemplary punishment for the rioters and looters.

These double standards from Downing Street are symptomatic of widespread double standards at the very top of our society. It should be stressed that most people (including, I know, Telegraph readers) continue to believe in honesty, decency, hard work, and putting back into society at least as much as they take out.

But there are those who do not. Certainly, the so-called feral youth seem oblivious to decency and morality. But so are the venal rich and powerful – too many of our bankers, footballers, wealthy businessmen and politicians.

Of course, most of them are smart and wealthy enough to make sure that they obey the law. That cannot be said of the sad young men and women, without hope or aspiration, who have caused such mayhem and chaos over the past few days. But the rioters have this defence: they are just following the example set by senior and respected figures in society. Let’s bear in mind that many of the youths in our inner cities have never been trained in decent values. All they have ever known is barbarism. Our politicians and bankers, in sharp contrast, tend to have been to good schools and universities and to have been given every opportunity in life.

Something has gone horribly wrong in Britain. If we are ever to confront the problems which have been exposed in the past week, it is essential to bear in mind that they do not only exist in inner-city housing estates.

The culture of greed and impunity we are witnessing on our TV screens stretches right up into corporate boardrooms and the Cabinet. It embraces the police and large parts of our media. It is not just its damaged youth, but Britain itself that needs a moral reformation.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100100708/the-moral-decay-of-our-society-is-as-bad-at-the-top-as-the-bottom/

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline on 12.08.11 13:08

a great post Candyfloss.

I could tell similar stories of the decay at the top here in Ireland. Our politicians get generous expenses, largely unvouched and with rules so loose, they can't really break them. By the way the politicians make the rules that govern their expenses.

And we are now seeing a bunch of comfortably off people seeking the job of President of Ireland (the election is oct 2011), essentially a non job with limited powers - but with a salary of c.€250,000 pa, free house and grounds and servants, lots of foreign travel and a pension money couldn't buy. How come that this is being reduced substantially now that ireland is broke. But no, our politicians wont do this as it would mean lowering their pay in line with this!

Bono of U2 moved operations outside Ireland when changes where made to the generous tax regime here for 'artists'. Yet he goes around lecturing others
about coughing up for the starving.

Other super wealthy business men have moved operations so they are technically non resident to avoid paying taxes.

I could go an and on, but its too depressing.

pauline

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 12.08.11 13:41

Phew! Thank god the "2 minutes hate" has died down and people are now concentrating on the causes rather than the symptoms.

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 12.08.11 15:50

The best thing to come out of this week is people are now concentrating on the causes rather than the symptoms. I think most of the country have the same anger and concerns about our leaders and are also asking why were we left alone to lawless criminals in our hour of need

Thanks for posting the telegraph articles, I wanted to read it as they said on the radio this morning there was a lot of twitter activity about it. Using the words of Simon Cowell "Its bang on the money"

Salford MP Hazel Blears and former front bench government minister, the one who stole 10's of thousands of pounds from public funds to pay her mortgage with, stood up in parliament yesterday and I quote, said "why weren't these kids at school?". If this does not prove our politicians are so out of touch then I don't know what is

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.08.11 15:57

oh what a clanger. That's the trouble with bringing them out of hibernation too early, they get confused.

Back to top Go down

School's out in England okay?

Post by Marian on 12.08.11 16:27

What a lovely quote indeed from Hazel Blears - proof if any was needed that M Ps don't know what time, day or month it is!

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.08.11 17:10

Ok, so what is now going to happen when all these police officers have to take their time in lieu, and when the policing goes down to normal levels again. Will it all start up again?.........................

All Calm But Cop Numbers 'Can't Be Maintained'

10:23am UK, Friday August 12, 2011

Catherine Jacob, Sky News correspondent

It has been another calm night in London and other riot-hit cities after police were again out in force on the streets.

There have been no reports of major disorder in the capital, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool or Bristol.

But a former Met commander has warned the massive police presence in London is "not sustainable" and officers are "exhausted".

Kevin Hurley told Sky News many are surviving on "at best four or five hours" sleep a day and warned of a possible "over use of force" by officers as a result.

Since Monday night's widespread violence, police from other forces have boosted the numbers patrolling the capital from 6,000 to 16,000, and are also assisting elsewhere.

Six forces are currently receiving extra help with officers sent to London, Manchester, Nottingham, the West Midlands, Gloucestershire and Avon and Somerset.

Mr Hurley, ex-borough commander for Hammersmith and Fulham in west London, said he believed officers could continue for a "good few days".

But he warned: "The more tired people become, the tetchier they become, the more likelihood there is going to be a over-reaction, an over-use of force".

"It is simply not a good idea to put police officers out on the street who don't get a reasonable amount of sleep each day.

"The job is too stressful, too demanding. If you don't sleep, you don't make good decisions. You don't restrain yourself."

In the short term, he said, the high police presence is achievable but certainly not in the medium term as other forces will want their officers back.

He added: "The real issue is what happens when we go back to normal and another bit of disorder breaks out.

"Are we going to be able to get there in time to nip it in the bud? I don't think we will."

Home Secretary Theresa May has ordered all leave be cancelled and a so-called mobile police force is in place, making officers available from quieter forces as and when trouble flares.

Among them is North Yorkshire, whose temporary Deputy Chief Constable admits that the current strategy is only a short-term solution.

Tim Madgwick said his force has sent two units to London, while other officers have been helping in Nottingham and the West Midlands. All rest days have also been cancelled, though so far annual leave is safe.

He said: "We're looking to replace officers, for example our teams who've been down in London for four nights, with fresh teams.

"Some are working 18 hour days but they recognise it's unusual circumstances, a critical issue for the country.

"That's what officers do in an emergency. From the chief constable to the most junior officers, we'll all be working 12 hour shifts on the streets over the next few days to protect North Yorkshire."
With the weekend looming, there is extra pressure on police as revellers head out to bars and clubs across the country, and sporting fixtures too presenting possible flashpoints.

Police chiefs say they are confident they can respond swiftly to any disorder, but they know officers cannot go on working without proper rest indefinitely.

In the long-term, it is obvious current levels of policing will have to fall.

Those in charge will be hoping that by the time they do, the ongoing arrests and prosecutions will be enough to deter those responsible from rioting again.

:: Watch Looters, a special half-hour programme on Sky News tonight at 7.30.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16048558

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 12.08.11 17:42

And never forget that Jack Straw, formerly Foreign Secretary, once waged open war on the USA. He led students from Leeds in the riot in Grosvenor Square in 68. The American Embassy is deemed to be the sovereign territory of the USA.
And don't forget Peter Hain, who read the eulogy at the funeral of a terrorist in South Africa who had been hanged for planting a bomb at Johannesberg Railway Station and murdered an old aged pensioner. And who once settled in the UK got himself a conviction for Criminal Conspiracy, but who nevertheless became a Cabinet Minister,.
And a previous Home Secretary who put pornographic films on expenses and so on and nauseatingly on.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.08.11 20:01

Totally disagree with this, sheer madness!! How is this going to solve the problem, it will cause more. What about the people who own their houses, are they going to take those too...............................

12 August 2011 Last updated at 18:08

Council eviction notice for Clapham Junction riot accused's family

In Clapham Junction one store was set alight while others were looted and vandalised.

A London council is trying to evict a tenant whose son has appeared in court charged in connection with rioting and looting at Clapham Junction.

Wandsworth Council is serving the tenant with an eviction notice - the first stage in the eviction process.

The tenant is believed to be the first in England to face losing their council-owned home as a result of this week's disturbances.

Neither the tenant nor their son can be named at this stage for legal reasons.

A spokesman for Wandsworth Council said it wanted to "get the ball rolling" rather than wait to see if the tenant would be convicted.

"We are starting the proceedings early. If he is acquitted we will end our eviction proceedings," he said.

The notice gives warning that the council will be seeking possession of the property and that an application will be made to the courts seeking the tenant's eviction.

The final decision rests with a judge sitting at the county court.

The council said that it is able to start eviction proceedings against a tenant for breaching their tenancy agreement.

Under the terms of the agreement, which applies to all the council's rented accommodation, all tenants, their household members and visitors are forbidden from a range of criminal and anti-social activities.

Breaches of the agreement render them liable to eviction.

Council leader Ravi Govindia welcomed the swift action by the housing department.

She said: "This council will do its utmost to ensure that those who are responsible pay a proper price for their conduct. Ultimately this could lead to eviction from their homes.

"Our officers will continue to work with the courts to establish the identities of other council tenants or members of their households as more cases are processed in the coming days and weeks."

Several local authorities have said they will seek to evict social tenants who are convicted of being involved in rioting across English cities.

In London, they include Westminster, Southwark, Greenwich and Hammersmith and Fulham .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14509902

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 12.08.11 20:20

candyfloss wrote:Totally disagree with this, sheer madness!! How is this going to solve the problem, it will cause more. What about the people who own their houses, are they going to take those too...............................

I totally agree Candyfloss...how is this going to solve the problem. It is only going to fuel it, where are the family they evict going to go? on to living on the streets. We have people in power who do not understand and do not think, its just about the quick PR exercise headline and this is an easy target. The deep rooted problem which needs to be addressed is being totally ignored. And police forces are still be cut by 20%, we will regret the army being so savagely cut down one day too

What about the millionaires daughter, are they going to evict that family? Think we know the answer to that!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 12.08.11 22:18

But one has to ask why Britain is almost the only country in the world which has "Council Housing" on the scale it does.
What happens in other countries ? They have people who cannot or will not work, but they are not given 5 bedroom houses at public expense.
Council Housing is a dreadful legacy of the "Socialist dream" of central government control of every aspect of everyone's lives.
If you travel to the former USSR, and its slave states, or to Albania and other "socialist havens" you seem the same thing. People being ground DOWN by a state which purported to provide everything.
Everything, that is, that the State, in the form of the Leaders, (Blair, Mandleson, Stalin, Lenin, Horça, Prescott, and all the other socialist and communist millionaires) deem that you should have.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 13.08.11 3:36

@jd wrote:
candyfloss wrote:Totally disagree with this, sheer madness!! How is this going to solve the problem, it will cause more. What about the people who own their houses, are they going to take those too...............................

I totally agree Candyfloss...how is this going to solve the problem. It is only going to fuel it, where are the family they evict going to go? on to living on the streets. We have people in power who do not understand and do not think, its just about the quick PR exercise headline and this is an easy target. The deep rooted problem which needs to be addressed is being totally ignored. And police forces are still be cut by 20%, we will regret the army being so savagely cut down one day too

What about the millionaires daughter, are they going to evict that family? Think we know the answer to that!

What about MPs who lied about their secondary home's address or switch address at their convenience to flee the taxpayers? Are they going to evict those MPs? Or are they going to punish by evicting parents of MPs since they feel family members are guilty by association to the offender?

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eviction or not?

Post by tigger on 13.08.11 10:07

Super post by Candyfloss earlier. Thanks!

You will all be surprised to hear that Britain has no middle class!!. I know, I was surprised myself, but that was on the news in the Netherlands. Apparently the riots happened because there are only really poor and really rich. I don't know if they've been watching Downton Abbey? Upstairs, Downstairs?

The historical reason that GB never had the revolutions of the 18th and 19th C which other European countries had, was exactly because there was a buffer in the form of the respectable middle classes.

Candyfloss's article puts it very well: it's only the ones (most of us) in the middle who keep the country going. The top are evading tax and the bottom are living of the tax paid by the middle classes.

IMO the whole system is tottering. The NHS which was never viable in the way it was set up. The power of local councils to pay themselves pretty much what they like, dream up useless jobs and cut services goes unchecked.
When grants for housing are paid, the work is charged by the builders at an enormously increased price (often 3 to 4 times as much as 'normal'). The council pays this out of our taxes. I have experienced some serious cross fertilisation in this respect with councillors and builders.
That system too, is inherently flawed.
The welfare payouts (to some households where up to three generations have never worked or barely made an effort to do so), IMO were mainly engineered to make sure of getting the voters onside, for whichever party.

Basically, democracy doesn't work if the lawmakers have to take into account that unpopular measures will result in losing the next election.
A true coalition government would for say ten years, perhaps be able to restore the economy and get most people back to work and get MP's across the board accountable. Even get some of the rich to pay taxes? What a thought!

The Mickey Mouse outfit of the present government, tied to US interests and the criminally irresponsible Blair/Brown contracts, is not going to have enough power to do anything lasting or useful.

And another thing: dont' forget Britain is still paying for WWII, because winning a war can be a big mistake. You end up paying for goods that never made it across the Atlantic and you also, unlike Germany, France, and many other countries, didn't get Marshall Aid, which enabled the rest of the stricken non communist countries to make an astounding recovery.

I'm surprised at the impossibly fast action of the council taking steps to evict, must be a record!
I believe the corrugated pre-fabs are still being lived in? I think they're marvellous, cute, and why not get the rioters to build some?
cheap and cheerful, little garden all around. It might cheer them up enough to look for work and get to know their neighbours. Just living a normal life.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.08.11 12:57

So now we are paying for a top US cop, doh..................................

Police Body Questions PM's Need For US Cop

11:29am UK, Saturday August 13, 2011

A top UK police body has questioned David Cameron's need to draft in a former New York chief to advise him following this week's riots.

Mr Cameron has asked the ex-chief of police in New York and Los Angeles, Bill Bratton, to become his temporary crime adviser in order to stamp out further unrest.

It is a move which has angered the Met Inspectors Branch Board who insist they are better placed to offer guidance.

In a statement the body said: "The Association of Chief Police Officers and the Federation understand UK legislation and are in a much better place to advise the PM than an American.

"Why won't the Prime Minister consult us?"

It comes as the courts continue to process the 1,210 people arrested so far - with 698 now facing charges.

Also, a council tenant in South London has become the first person to face eviction over claims her son was involved in looting.

Mr Bratton is no stranger to UK policing, having teamed up with British officers at other times over the past 20 years.

In 2009, the Queen awarded him the honorary title of Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

A suspected looter was arrested in Pimlico this week

Mr Bratton, who is now a security expert, left the Los Angeles police force in 2009 after significantly lowering the crime rate.

Previously he was head of the New York Police Department where, in his first two years at the helm, reports of serious crime dropped 27%.

He said the disturbing scenes of police overwhelmed by rioting in London showed a need for more minority officers and other long-term solutions.

Reacting to the riots across England, Mr Bratton said British police needed to focus on calming racial tensions by working more with community leaders and civil rights groups.

He added: "(Mr) Cameron... thanked me for agreeing to work with the British government as they deal with the issues of gang crime, gang violence and gang intervention.

"I am looking forward to the opportunity to work with them on those issues."

"I think part of what the Government is going to do is, to take a look at what worked and what didn't work during the course of the last week.

"My assignment is to focus more on the issues of the American experience dealing with gangs and what we may be able to share with them that might help them to prevent similar activities in the future."

The 63-year-old is expected to meet Mr Cameron next month to share his expertise on tackling street crime.

Mr Cameron and the police have been on a collision course after claims officers were too soft in their initial response to this week's disorder.

The PM said officers had been overwhelmed at first and outmaneuvered by mobile gangs of rioters.

"Far too few police were deployed onto the streets. And the tactics they were using weren't working," he said.

However, a senior police chief hit out at Mr Cameron's claim that police budget cuts were "totally achievable" - saying less money meant fewer officers.

Sir Hugh Orde from the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) said on BBC's Newsnight: "It is true there are cuts of 20% to policing over this current spending period.

"Inevitably and predictably that will lead to less police officers, let me be clear about that. It will also lead to less police staff."

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said earlier: "There is no rift between the police and the Government, we fully support the police 100%.

"They have done a brilliant job in really difficult circumstances.

"The police themselves have said they want to review what happened and look at
tactics and learn lessons."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16049302

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 13.08.11 15:26

@tigger wrote:Super post by Candyfloss earlier. Thanks!
Candyfloss's article puts it very well: it's only the ones (most of us) in the middle who keep the country going. The top are evading tax and the bottom are living of the tax paid by the middle classes.

This is perfectly said about the true facts of this country. If you are in the middle/working classes you are just there as a machine to work and pay taxes to fund the top and bottom. In the end, its the middle/working classes that will pay for this with taxes and increased insurance premiums and the like. Nobody else will pay for it. And if you increase taxes for the rich so they pay their fair share, they will leave the country or put their money into a swiss account where they pay less tax and not into the UK. The biggest losers in this as usual is the middle/working classes

Exactly why are MP's not being evicted and having their homes taken away? They did the same thing stealing from the public even if they are hiding behind parliamentary privileges

Cameron is absolutely clueless except for his chipping norton set club. No comprehension of the different communities in this country, why people are so angry and no care about them either. I have hardly seen him this week, the week the country needed its leader. And he hasn't dealt with the situation at all and just blaming everyone else, governments have to take their fair share of the blame too. I am surprised he didn't release his statements through Carter Ruck. So his only real solution is to bring in a US cop to procide over UK culture. Exactly Candyfloss....doh!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 14.08.11 15:13

@jd wrote:

Exactly why are MP's not being evicted and having their homes taken away? They did the same thing stealing from the public even if they are hiding behind parliamentary privileges

Agreed. These elite mobsters have played a very big part in looting WHOLE COUNTRIES! And that's not just me sensationalising or being dramatic for the sake of it, it's true. The've stole pensions, peoples livelihoods, land, and a whole lot of other resources. The sick thing is, they're not done with the looting yet, they want more, much more. Anyone that's familar with the UN's Agenda 21 will know exactly what I mean here.

I think the knee jerk reaction from the masses, absolutely begging for 'tighter controls' was a very big mistake. Folk were quickly whipped up into a frenzy of hatred by the very same media that they think they have sussed.

The majority of people knew these riots were inevitable, we were expecting it. Jeez, for the past few summers the mainstream media has been predicting (pushing for imo) a "summer of discontent" I remember those headlines well; well now it's finally happened. Are we supposed to believe the government and police weren't prepared? I KNOW different.

I hate to be pessismistic, but I believe the worst is yet to come. The cuts have barely started yet. Also, The UN and literally hundreds of other 'experts' have been warning of global food shortages for the last few years. I'm convinced It will happen. Then what? We will have no chance of protesting; they'll have their plastic bullets, water cannons, internet/phone kill switch and curfews in place to stop any dissent. Yes, we've just played right into their hands. This is not the world our children/grandchildren deserve.

I could go on, but I'll get off my soapbox now, it does me no good to dwell on the further loss of our civil liberties.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrokenBritain on 15.08.11 18:51

So, looters are to lose their benefits and be evicted from their council houses.

What happens to those who don't live in council houses? Will they still lose their home? Will they lose their income?

No.

What happens to the MP's who looted this country for their expenses? Will they and their parents be evicted from their home?

No.

Why are criminals not being punished in the same way?

BrokenBritain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 16.08.11 2:04

The other end of our society....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026348/School-run-mother-drunk-picked-seven-year-old-deputy-headteacher-confiscated-car-keys.html "A mother was so drunk when she arrived at school to pick up her seven-year-old daughter she had her car keys confiscated by the deputy headteacher"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3753913/Sexy-pics-at-12-pregnant-at-15-and-her-proud-mums-delighted.html
"Jobless single mum Janis, 48, said she was delighted because the council will now have to give her a bigger house."

This country doesn't stand a chance!

jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 16.08.11 15:04

@jd wrote:The other end of our society....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026348/School-run-mother-drunk-picked-seven-year-old-deputy-headteacher-confiscated-car-keys.html "A mother was so drunk when she arrived at school to pick up her seven-year-old daughter she had her car keys confiscated by the deputy headteacher"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3753913/Sexy-pics-at-12-pregnant-at-15-and-her-proud-mums-delighted.html
"Jobless single mum Janis, 48, said she was delighted because the council will now have to give her a bigger house."

This country doesn't stand a chance!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "The other end of our society" jd?

The way I see it, this rot, degradation, greed and narcissisitic behaviour runs through all aspects of society. I could post dozens of links proving the 'professional classes' are just as bad. There's no point though really, that would be just falling into the same old trap, same old agenda of - divide and conquer.

Here's just one recent example of a 'middle class' individual behaving badly. (Like I said, I could post dozens more).

Is this UK's worst GP?

A family GP is likely to be struck off
because of a woeful catalogue of failings including convictions for
drink-driving and biting a police officer so hard on the arm he used CS
spray on her and required hospital treatment.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024979/UKs-worst-GP-Dr-Jane-Hornsey-convicted-drink-driving-biting-police-officer.html#ixzz1VCT0oFPm

The McCann's and their cronies are also from the so called 'respectable middle class'.

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum