The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Amy Winehouse found dead

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amy Winehouse found dead

Post by Guest on 23.07.11 18:30

Shocking news.

Can't say I was a fan of hers but was aware of her problems and demons and she was only 27....very tragic waste of a young, talented life.

Awful, too, is that apparently her dad doesn't know yet as he's on a plane.

No doubt someone will be hacking her phone about now.

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 23.07.11 18:45

Oh her poor father will be shocked and devastated at the news, though he must have been in fear of this outcome for some time now.

They are saying it may be suicide!

Eventually drugs can leave you with no feelings... other than despair and desperation!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 23.07.11 19:27

@admin wrote:Shocking news.

Can't say I was a fan of hers but was aware of her problems and demons and she was only 27....very tragic waste of a young, talented life.

Now that would be shocking news.

Sky is now reporting suspected overdose.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Farewell Amy

Post by Guest on 23.07.11 19:46

I was thinking about her only yesterday, wondering if she would ever get over her addictions and achieve all the things that she was capable of; sadly she never will now. The news is a shock but not a surprise.

Back to top Go down

Post by puzzled on 23.07.11 20:13

I wasn't really interested in her music, but it's always sad when someone dies young with their whole life ahead of them. Given her problems with drink and drugs though, it's not really surprising.

puzzled

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 24.07.11 6:29

It's self destruction. Tragic for her family.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 24.07.11 11:06

@pennylane wrote:
@admin wrote:Shocking news.

Now that would be shocking news.

Sky is now reporting suspected overdose.

Apparently her phone and medical records were routinely hacked

http://themurdochempireanditsnestofvipers.blogspot.com/2011/07/charlesslavery-hacking-amywinehouse-was.html?spref=tw

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 24.07.11 11:12

Class Q drugs are illegal for a very good reason. And it is not merely to spoil people's fun.
Her father wrote her eulogy two years ago, according to an interview he gave, and her mother said around the same time that her early death was inevitable.
What I find disturbing is that the self inflicted death of an utterly useless self destructive wastrel drug addict pushed the murders of 92 young Norwegians off the top slot on Sky news.
Society needs one day to reorganise its priorities.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 24.07.11 11:57

That's a bit harsh PeterMac. I know it was her choice to take drugs and she must have known what they could do to her, but I doubt she was aware of the Norwegian victims, as she had probably totally withdrawn into herself by then, and it was the newspaper editor who prioritised her story not than Amy herself.

I have no intention of finding out for myself what it's like to be a drug addict but I imagine that eventually it's out of the addicts control as they become seriously ill. Didn't George Best have a liver transplant then go back to drinking til it killed him?

I also think sometimes the addiction gets out of control when the drugs, or drink, are no longer used for 'recreational purposes' but are used to blot out other problems like the loss of her boyfriend and because of the pain she's in she then finds herself too weak-willed to do anything about it.

I am reminded of Paula Yate's tragic drug-induced death after she lost Michael Hutchence. I doubt she really wanted to leave her children behind but her grief was too much to handle.

Yes, it's their fault that they start on the drugs but I think that by the end it's out of their control.

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline on 24.07.11 12:18

Happychick, PeterMac wasn't saying that Amy herself was responsible for her death being on the front pages - Petermac was attacking the news editors who considered this a bigger story than the senseless murders of 92 innocent Norwegians. And I agree with him that media priorities are often hard to fathom.

But I also agree with you Happychick that addiction to drink and drugs + personal unresolved issues leads people into an area where there have little or no control.

As a former policeman petermac will have seen at first hand the relationship between drugs and crime. And he will have noted with disgust how the media give coverage to celebrity drug taking often in ways that do not exactly discourage drug taking.

What I am saying is that both of you have valid view points.

pauline

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse and other addictive personalities

Post by Marian on 24.07.11 22:59

I can understand how some people have no sympathy for others who get themselves into a downward spiral of drink and drugs, I would have agreed with them myself when I was younger. Now there is in my family a very vulnerable person with mild schizophrenia, alcoholism and who uses cocaine when she can beg, borrow or steal the money for it. I'm sure that she didn't set out in life with the aim of ending up in the mess she now is; it's something that just overtook her. There are times when I am frightened to answer the phone because of what news there might be. Thank you Happychick and Pauline for your comments and PeterMac I do certainly agree with you about the way that the media prioritises events in the news.

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 25.07.11 5:31

It's difficult enough to have sympathy for someone who goes on self destruct sprees on drug and alcohol but one could understand that when you are in that depth it is v difficult to pull yourself out of it especially if you are ridden with problems and wish to escape from it all bordering on a silent death wish. Often these troubled souls have no incentive hence no motivation to want to get better because they have no reason to live and no money to go for rehab or whatever.

But celebrity like Amy Winehouse is a different story. She was a successful artiste/singer with plenty to live for and she didn't come from a broken home or socially disturbed background. It was her fame she couldn't handle that got her down spiralling into that abyss. She had the means and resources to pull herself out of it but she its apparent she didn't want to do so. It's very difficult to sympathy with someone like her who didn't want to try for themselves despite everything going for them.

Not saying she deserves to die or no sympathy for her, but compared her own self annihilation to those innocent people killed by a madman who died prematurely and unjustifiably because they were in the wrong place, those innocents deserve our compassion more. And if the press cannot put things into the right perspective than what example are they setting for the country.

NO doubt Amy Winehouse is a local and a celebrity at that but what has her self destruction got to do with the bigger picture of what is happening around the world?

If it is local issues that get more coverage over international, she's over eclipsed hackgate at the moment.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.07.11 9:40

@pauline wrote:
As a former policeman petermac ... will have noted with disgust how the media give coverage to celebrity drug taking often in ways that do not exactly discourage drug taking.
Quite so.
Let us all put on our Sociologist's hats.
If you are a young black lad in a ghetto area you get arrested for possession.
If you are Tara P-T you go into re-hab, get your nose rebuilt, get your face on the front of a glossy Society magazine and then get invited to a Royal wedding.
Known and unrepentent drugs users get knighthoods, honours, plaudits, publicity.

And a wonderful irony was putting the litre botle of Smirnoff on the statutory mawkish heap of flowers on the pavement. Small children were filmed attending. Let us hope she is never held up as an icon or role model, and instead is used as an object lesson and a dreadful warning.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 25.07.11 13:02

Just go to show that money and fame, two things a lot of people crave do not bring happiness.

On a different note, I was disgusted at some of the stories about Amy Winehouse in the Sunday papers. Someone said they heard sounds of a "sexual game", someone said she was stoned out of her head 3 days ago when on stage with her God-daughter.

Well I have seen the video of her 3 days before her death and she looks sober to me, clapping and signing in time to the music.

I have every sympathy for addicts having worked closely with them. Trying to get them into hospital is a nightmare, they have to lie and say they are suicidal before anyone takes any notice. Amy Winehouse and Paul Gascoigne were hounded by the press going into treatment when they were at their lowest ebb.

There are very few people who aren't addicted to something whether it be a person, a food, a lifestyle, ciggies, or booze or something else. I see plenty of "closet alkys" standing at the check out in Sainsburys every day clutching their numerous bottles of wine. Wine drinkers were looked down upon as the lowest of the low when I was young, winos they called them. Now "everyone does it" and it is looked upon as being sophisticated. There are many who don't even realise they are addicted and who throw stones at others.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.07.11 13:15

The thing is, if she was doing the Camden Town circuit, singing before she even became famous, they were all doing drugs then. It was something she was unlikely to ever escape from, by the time she did make it big.

I hope like others do, this serves as a stark reminder to stay well away from all drugs.

Back to top Go down

Not where have all the flowers gone but where did they come from?

Post by Marian on 25.07.11 18:22

It's now the usual thing to see flowers, gifts and letters left at the scene of a death or at a place connected with someone who has died. When did people first start doing this and does it happen other than in the U K? It certainly was not customary in the dim and distant past when I was a child and it wasn't just when Diana died either. The earliest occasion that I can remember was at the Bradford City fire in the 1980s. I'm just curious as to what started off this rather maudlin if well-meaning practice.

P.S. Oh dear, how I cringed at the reports of cigarettes and alcohol being left in Amy Winehouse's street!

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.07.11 18:30

Not just here

A field of tributes outside the cathedral in Oslo.

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 26.07.11 4:50

@PeterMac wrote:
@pauline wrote:
As a former policeman petermac ... will have noted with disgust how the media give coverage to celebrity drug taking often in ways that do not exactly discourage drug taking.
Quite so.
Let us all put on our Sociologist's hats.
If you are a young black lad in a ghetto area you get arrested for possession.
If you are Tara P-T you go into re-hab, get your nose rebuilt, get your face on the front of a glossy Society magazine and then get invited to a Royal wedding.
Known and unrepentent drugs users get knighthoods, honours, plaudits, publicity.

And a wonderful irony was putting the litre botle of Smirnoff on the statutory mawkish heap of flowers on the pavement. Small children were filmed attending. Let us hope she is never held up as an icon or role model, and instead is used as an object lesson and a dreadful warning.

If you read the tributes, she was considered an icon, though I haven't a clue icon of what. Soul and Pop music? She wasn't in the industry long enough. She did have a v. unique voice and some of her songs were good, but that hardly makes a person 'iconic'.

People tend to glorify dead person no matter their past.
People remember their good generally and death obsoletes all their shortcomings and mistakes.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 27.07.11 8:04

@aiyoyo wrote:People tend to glorify dead person no matter their past.
People remember their good generally and death obsoletes all their shortcomings and mistakes.
Not sure about that. Shakespeare had it the other way round
"The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interréd with their bones."

What do you now remember about Michael Jackson ?
A genius (Another genius !) ? Or a strange unearthly creature addicted to drugs and surgery, apparently estranged from his fmaily and the world, who tried to turn himself from a black boy into a white girl, was probably a pederast, and whose entire repertoire on stage was strut to one side, grab his crutch, squeal in a high voice, spin round, walk backwards to the other side of the stage, grab crutch, squeal, spin, walk backwards ...... whilst miming to a song he had recorded earlier.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 27.07.11 9:07

@PeterMac wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:People tend to glorify dead person no matter their past.
Not sure about that. Shakespeare had it the other way round
"The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interréd with their bones."

What do you now remember about Michael Jackson ?
A genius (Another genius !) ? Or a strange unearthly creature addicted to drugs and surgery, apparently estranged from his fmaily and the world, who tried to turn himself from a black boy into a white girl, was probably a pederast, and whose entire repertoire on stage was strut to one side, grab his crutch, squeal in a high voice, spin round, walk backwards to the other side of the stage, grab crutch, squeal, spin, walk backwards ...... whilst miming to a song he had recorded earlier.

Morning PeterMac Obviously Michael Jackson's music wasn't your cup of tea.... but I have a different view of him, and think he was a gifted performer for decades.

Although I don't have any illusions about his deeply flawed character - when I hear one of his songs, I sing along, and wish he were still around making music the way he used to. I also remember him singing when he was just a boy with the Jackson 5. He was around for most of my life and his music and hits spanned the best part of 30/40 years. His songs are played often when I am out shopping, and they are good pop songs that bring back so many memories. Other very famous dead artists such as Elvis and Marvin Gay were also deeply flawed characters. I am able to separate the talent from the person... and would never put these people on a pedestal in the first place! As for Amy Winehouse, her addiction killed off her talent so fast, that I barely remember her performing sober.. still it is a tragedy that this poor young woman wasted her life so needlessly.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Flawed geniuses (or genii?)

Post by Guest on 27.07.11 9:24

Let's hope that PeterMac's description of Michael Jackson isn't seen by his more extreme fans as they make the McCann groupies look almost sane! I think that in his younger days Michael was an excellent performer and songwriter but in more recent years it was pitiful to see what he became. I am not convinced that his relationship with children was ever illegal as such but it was clearly unhealthy and I was very concerned when he acquired three of his own through whatever means. I don't think he was their biological father. It used to have me punching the spare bed (back to Kate again!) to see those beautiful children paraded around with masks on or sacks over their heads, looking like the Elephant Man. At least now they are living a comparatively normal life. To get back to PeterMac's posting, yes it is indeed strange what the public is prepared to accept from their idols.

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 27.07.11 13:46

Oh, PeterMac, now you opened the pandora box.

But yes the latter is how I remember MJ.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 27.07.11 14:05

Was Amy Winehouse a victim of the Murdoch hacking scandal?

Journalist Claims Amy Winehouse Phone and Medical Records Hacked
July 25th 2011

Well into the media blitz covering a scathing scandal of phone hacking
by the now defunct British tabloid News of the World, details regarding a
similar breach of Amy Winehouse’s privacy have surfaced following her
death. Investigative journalist Charles Lavery has reported to NME that the phone and medical records of Amy Winehouse and other related individuals were routinely hacked by tabloid newspaper. Read more:
http://www.mxdwn.com/2011/07/25/news/journalist-claims-amy-winehouse-phone-and-medical-records-hacked/

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ROSA on 02.08.11 0:12

Amy Winehouse was adopting girl of 10
Troubled singer had started the process of becoming a mum
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/07/31/amy-winehouse-was-adopting-girl-of-10-115875-23309601/

ROSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum