The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

IVF procedure 'may increase risk of Down's syndrome'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IVF procedure 'may increase risk of Down's syndrome'

Post by Guest on 04.07.11 13:17

4 July 2011 Last updated at 02:44

.IVF procedure 'may increase risk of Down's syndrome'

by Michelle Roberts

Health reporter, BBC News, in Stockholm

Down's syndrome is caused by one too many copies of chromosome 21

women to get NHS Down's screening

Drugs used in IVF for older women may increase their risk of having a baby with Down's syndrome, experts say.

Doctors already know that the chance of having a baby with the genetic condition goes up with the age of the mother, especially for those over 35.

Now UK researchers, who looked at 34 couples, think drugs used to kick-start ovaries for IVF in older women disturb the genetic material of the eggs.

Work is now needed to confirm their suspicions, a meeting in Sweden heard.

And they do not yet know the magnitude of risk, but say it could also cause many other genetic conditions, not just Down's.

The findings, presented at the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology's annual conference, come from a UK study of 34 couples undergoing fertility treatment.

Start Quote
It raises the concern that some of the abnormalities might be treatment-related”
End Quote
Mr Stuart Lavery
Consultant obstetrician

All of the women in the group were older than 31 and had been given drugs to make their ovaries release eggs ready for their IVF treatment.

When the researchers studied these now fertilised eggs they found some had genetic errors.

These errors could either cause the pregnancy to fail or mean the baby would be born with a genetic disease.

A closer look at 100 of the faulty eggs revealed that many of the errors involved a duplication of coiled genetic material, known as a chromosome.

Often, the error resulted in an extra copy of chromosome 21, which causes Down's syndrome.

But unlike "classic" Down's syndrome which is often seen in the babies of older women who conceive naturally, the pattern of genetic errors leading to Down's in the IVF eggs was different and more complex.

And this led the researchers to believe that it was the fertility treatment that was to blame.

Lead researcher Professor Alan Handyside, director of the London Bridge Fertility, Gynaecology and Genetics Centre, said more research was now needed.

Continue reading the main story
Down's syndrome risk with the mother's age:
20 years - 1 in 1,500
25 years - 1 in 1,300
35 years - 1 in 350
40 years - 1 in 100
45 years - 1 in 30
"This could mean that the stimulation of the ovaries is causing some of these errors. We already know that these fertility drugs can have a similar effect in laboratory studies. But we need more work to confirm our findings."

If more tests back up their suspicions then it would mean that doctors should be more cautious about using these treatments, he said.

The researchers believe their work could also help identify which women might be better off using donor eggs for IVF instead.

Co-investigator Professor Joep Geraedts, of Bonn University in Germany, said: "This in itself is already a big step forward that will aid couples hoping for a healthy pregnancy and birth to be able to achieve one."

UK fertility expert Mr Stuart Lavery said: "There's a huge increase in the number of women undergoing IVF at later ages as people delay the age of starting a family.

"Previously we have always thought that these chromosomal abnormalities were related to the age of the egg.

"What this work shows is that a lot of the chromosomal abnormalities are not those that are conventionally age-related. It raises the concern that some of the abnormalities might be treatment-related.

"It's a little unclear as to whether it's the medication itself that is affecting the egg quality or whether it's the medication that is just forcing the issue and allowing eggs that nature's quality control system would have otherwise excluded, to arise."

Back to top Go down

Re: IVF procedure 'may increase risk of Down's syndrome'

Post by PeterMac on 05.07.11 18:36

The increased risk of genetic defects in IVF has been known for many years, but for a long time the details were not published widely.
The more recent technique of mechanically inserting a single sperm into the ovum is even more fraught, as it is not allowing normal 'natural selection' of the sperm to take place.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ROSA on 08.07.11 5:38

i think kate mccann is a genetic defect nails

ROSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 08.07.11 16:40

Sadly the coloboma is likely to be a genetic defect, and to indicate other associated problems. Turner's syndrome was discussed on the fora many years ago, and there are several others possibilities which can be found on the net.
Katey's insistence that Madeleine was "Perfect" seems to be trying too hard. No person on the planet is "perfect", in any sense, and Katey and the paediatrician would have seen the coloboma almost immediately. She then complains that Maddie had colic and screamed for months.
Not quite 'perfect' then.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AskTheDogsSandra on 08.07.11 16:57

I recall listening to a new mum in a doctors waiting room talking to another new mum who had a baby with colic and she said "there's only so much you can take when a baby cries all the time".

sad

Poor babies can't communicate their pain and distress any other way than crying can they?

But it makes you wonder how many babies are killed because the mother 'loses it'.

AskTheDogsSandra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ROSA on 09.07.11 2:12

Dont forget Kate had bruises on her lower arm wrist area seen in photos May 2007 she said she smashed a bed or did she smash you know who ?

ROSA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anti-Philo Pastry on 09.07.11 4:49

I know this is off topic with regard to McCanns how ever the more we experiment with nature more evidence supports the fact that we should leave nature alone. Our food is genetically modified despite data showing that mice who are raised on that sustenace have problems with their fertility, and that 2nd generations can be totally infertile. Yet we have the FDA approving and virtually insisting upon our food being modiified through laws passed in the EU and at the same time banning vitamin supplements.

No surprise then that female fertility has been reduced and add to that environment damage to sperm then we see more couples seeking IVF which as you have said has its own risks.

However one becomes a parent whether extremely easily behind the bike sheds or through painful and emotional procedures the resullt should not make one method superior to the other. IVF is not a stamp that stipualtes your child is more wanted and cherished than any other.

Anti-Philo Pastry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 12.07.11 5:07

Female fertility can also reduced by the heavy exercise that nowadays is so popular. Sadly women refuse to give that up and rather opt for something like IVF, probably because they get much more attention with that, than getting pregnant by stopping running. It would fit very well in Kate's profile Kate mentions in her book that she even stopped exercising by the second IVF attempt. Why didn't she stop before?

On a complete different note:
There have been many people with Down syndrome in my life, and without exception my life has been enriched by them. I just wonder, now we are so well equipped to prevent them of being born, has the world become a better place?

Or poorer?

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Can we call it the 'fleck' now?

Post by tigger on 29.08.11 9:53

@PeterMac wrote:Sadly the coloboma is likely to be a genetic defect, and to indicate other associated problems. Turner's syndrome was discussed on the fora many years ago, and there are several others possibilities which can be found on the net.
Katey's insistence that Madeleine was "Perfect" seems to be trying too hard. No person on the planet is "perfect", in any sense, and Katey and the paediatrician would have seen the coloboma almost immediately. She then complains that Maddie had colic and screamed for months.
Not quite 'perfect' then.

Interesting topic and something I have been wondering about for quit a while. Look at the photograph of Maddie and her granddad on the bench, look at all the photographs where the thick 'bags' under her eyes are clearly visible. Add to that the alleged ADHD, sleepwalking, tantrums and screaming (all family testimony!) the fact that Kate had trouble controlling 'very difficult' Madeleine. She was late in speech pattern for her age and of course we have still no idea what's in her health file. They can't have it both ways, by messing up the photographs we have no idea how tall she was. 90 cm is off the chart for that age. Tennis girl gives us about 114 cm. Height being an indicator of Turner's of course.
As far from 'the happy little girl' as you can get for the McCanns I would think .Perhaps they thought that she wasn't going to live long in any case?

I also found it interesting that Gerry referred to her several times as 'this girl' ("it's about this girl'). When Mrs. Fenn asked on the 3rd what happened, he said a little girl was missing. Dissociation IMO. Which may go back a long way.
Which explained why both of them were in such good spirits just days after when they didn't know the camera was still rolling.

PeterMac! Please correct my apostrophes! I used to be so good and all of a sudden I don't know if it's the McCann's or McCanns. Do jump on my mistakes please in my posts. I too, like to be perfect!

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Those apostrophes!

Post by Marian on 29.08.11 10:05

If I may jump in before PeterMac does, in most cases there is no apostrophe in the McCanns as it is the same as any plural noun. However, in a context like "the McCanns' children" it is correct because it is a shortened way of saying "the children of the McCanns". All you need to think of is whether or not what you're saying is a shortened form of something else. If it is, use an apostrophe. If it isn't, don't.

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 29.08.11 10:20

@tigger wrote:I also found it interesting that Gerry referred to her several times as 'this girl' ("it's about this girl'). When Mrs. Fenn asked on the 3rd what happened, he said a little girl was missing. Dissociation IMO. Which may go back a long way.

Also Eileen McCann said "That girl could throw a tantrum" Not Madeleine, but 'that girl'. Poor Madeleine had only been missing a short time and even her grandmother couldn't say her name.

@Marian wrote:If I may jump in before PeterMac does, in most cases there is no apostrophe in the McCanns as it is the same as any plural noun. However, in a context like "the McCanns' children" it is correct because it is a shortened way of saying "the children of the McCanns". All you need to think of is whether or not what you're saying is a shortened form of something else. If it is, use an apostrophe. If it isn't, don't.

That's helpful Marian thumbsup

So we have McCanns & McCanns'. But when would you use McCann's? I'm hopeless with apostrophe's too!

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 29.08.11 10:34

@tigger wrote:Look at the photograph of Maddie and her granddad on the bench, look at all the photographs where the thick 'bags' under her eyes are clearly visible.

Do you mean this pic?

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29.08.11 10:37

When everyone was first talking about Martin Grime, they always wrote Martin Grimes. So everyone came to think that was his real name.

Back to top Go down

Dodgy apostrophes and photos!

Post by Marian on 29.08.11 11:17

Happychick: the photo mentioned by Tigger is under the "Faked photos" topic and shows a very young Madeleine with her grandfather.

Yes I did think of the "McCann's" option but decided to leave that out to avoid confusion! You'd use that when talking of only one of the McCanns - for example "Kate McCann's book".

In most cases when talking of people by their names - the McCanns, the Paynes, the Oldfields etc - there's no apostrophe.

If in doubt leave it out is my philosophy as apostrophes in the wrong place look worse than when they've been omitted!

Marian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's a good example.

Post by tigger on 29.08.11 14:42

@happychick wrote:
@tigger wrote:Look at the photograph of Maddie and her granddad on the bench, look at all the photographs where the thick 'bags' under her eyes are clearly visible.

Do you mean this pic?

This is the one where I think she looks very sad. But it does show the lopsidedness of her face. The right half seems to almost droop a little, very noticeable with the right eye. The same is very evident in the photograph where she sits on the steps with G and the twins. I'm not saying she had Down's syndrome, but I've always felt there was something wrong. In quite a lot of photos the bags under her eyes are bleached out.

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum