The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Mark Warner Resort

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mark Warner Resort

Post by whatsupdoc on 22.12.14 14:39

The news of Mark Warner splitting up with Ocean Club is very interesting.

If there was no coverup by OC then they would be free to tell the PJ the full story i.e. no baby sitters involved. They no longer have to worry about losing their licence.

Also, staff and ex-staff should be free to tell the truth despite any contracts of silence.

I hope people who know what happened will disclose it in whichever way is best for them.

whatsupdoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22.12.14 16:23

Bang goes the opportunity to seize their OC assets, so where does this leave any possible claimants against them?

Back to top Go down

PortugalResident

Post by PeterMac on 22.12.14 16:28

It is up now.
Sorry to have been so reticent earlier.
http://portugalresident.com/madeleine-new-shock-as-tour-operator-drops-“infamous”-ocean-club-resort
Posted by jomad on December 22, 2014
Madeleine: New shock as tour operator drops “infamous” Ocean Club resort
Hot-on-the-heels of recent police interrogations centering on staff at the resort from which Madeleine went missing comes news that tour operator Mark Warner has dropped its contract with Praia da Luz’s Ocean Club resort.
In a statement on the Vacation Company’s website, the holiday company states: “We regret to inform you that Mark Warner no longer have a contract with the Ocean Club and therefore this property has been removed from their Summer 2015 programme with immediate effect”.
The decision comes at the end of a year where Luz residents have repeatedly spoken out against the stigma hanging over the holiday village that is forever being dragged back into the limelight as British police return again and again in their multi-million pound investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance.
As residents have frequently complained: “Luz is not being given a chance to recover” from the infamy of being the resort from which the world’s most famous missing person mysteriously vanished.
But almost no-one is prepared to go on record over the extent to which Madeleine’s disappearance has affected life and business in Praia da Luz.
It’s as if the stigma carries a threat that few are prepared to face-up to.

Only last month, Ocean Club manager Donna Hill told us: “I really cannot comment. One day I would love to break my silence”.
Bystanders following the seven-year mystery have commented: “It would be good to hear whether these people have been sworn to silence - and if so under what compulsion and by whom”.

But this Christmas restaurant owner David Jones went on record with the Resident, agreeing that Praia da Luz is “a shadow of its former self. You hardly see anyone on the streets at night now. In the old days, the place was buzzing at this time of year”, he told us.
Jones agreed the situation “probably has a lot to do with the Madeleine story”. He has his once thriving bar restaurant on the market now, but is not expecting a rush of would-be purchasers.

And while Donna Hill tell us she and her husband John are on holiday until January 5 and so “unable to comment” on this latest development and what it means for the future, the Mark Warner switchboard repeatedly pulled the plugs on our telephone calls to their offices in England. On the fifth attempt to talk to someone, we got an answer: “The contract is being taken over in its entirety by Thomas Cook” said a female operator, stressing that this was the only reason Mark Warner had dropped its involvement in Praia da Luz.
In 2009 however, the tour operator was reported to have issued a writ in the high court seeking compensation from its insurers for losses from “interrupted business” at the Ocean Club.
An article in the Guardian newspaper quoted a Mark Warner spokesman as saying: "It is a matter of public record that Mark Warner's bookings to Portugal were affected by events nearly two years ago, but the resort remains very popular and we are looking forward to resuming our summer operations there this May."

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 22.12.14 16:33

This bit is interesting,wonder what it means.

Only last month, Ocean Club manager Donna Hill told us: “I really cannot comment. One day I would love to break my silence”.
Bystanders following the seven-year mystery have commented: “It would be good to hear whether these people have been sworn to silence - and if so under what compulsion and by whom”.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 22.12.14 18:06

@tiny wrote:

Not surprising - in fact surprising that they kept the OC so long as it is very different 'formula' to their other resorts. We go every year - sometimes twice - to MW resorts because they are lovely laid back places all inclusive, right by the sea. We never have booked OC as it is a different situation - appts - fragmented , no sea access. OC is an anomaly - was always discounted on their website even pre '07 - so was no surprise to me that the cheapskate wannabe MC (IMO) T9 chose it.
And when  I have been to MW hols since '07 - often have heard the mgrs give an elliptical and enigmatic - 'no comment' when asked about MM.

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 22.12.14 18:21

@PeterMac wrote:It is up now.
http://portugalresident.com/madeleine-new-shock-as-tour-operator-drops-“infamous”-ocean-club-resort
Posted by jomad on December 22, 2014
Madeleine: New shock as tour operator drops “infamous” Ocean Club resort
Hot-on-the-heels of recent police interrogations centering on staff at the resort from which Madeleine went missing comes news that tour operator Mark Warner has dropped its contract with Praia da Luz’s Ocean Club resort.
In a statement on the Vacation Company’s website, the holiday company states: “We regret to inform you that Mark Warner no longer have a contract with the Ocean Club and therefore this property has been removed from their Summer 2015 programme with immediate effect”.
The decision comes at the end of a year where Luz residents have repeatedly spoken out against the stigma hanging over the holiday village that is forever being dragged back into the limelight as British police return again and again in their multi-million pound investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance.
As residents have frequently complained: “Luz is not being given a chance to recover” from the infamy of being the resort from which the world’s most famous missing person mysteriously vanished.
But almost no-one is prepared to go on record over the extent to which Madeleine’s disappearance has affected life and business in Praia da Luz.
It’s as if the stigma carries a threat that few are prepared to face-up to.

But this Christmas restaurant owner David Jones went on record with the Resident, agreeing that Praia da Luz is “a shadow of its former self. You hardly see anyone on the streets at night now. In the old days, the place was buzzing at this time of year”, he told us.
Jones agreed the situation “probably has a lot to do with the Madeleine story”. He has his once thriving bar restaurant on the market now, but is not expecting a rush of would-be purchasers.

And while Donna Hill tell us she and her husband John are on holiday until January 5 and so “unable to comment” on this latest development and what it means for the future, the Mark Warner switchboard repeatedly pulled the plugs on our telephone calls to their offices in England. On the fifth attempt to talk to someone, we got an answer: “The contract is being taken over in its entirety by Thomas Cook” said a female operator, stressing that this was the only reason Mark Warner had dropped its involvement in Praia da Luz.
In 2009 however, the tour operator was reported to have issued a writ in the high court seeking compensation from its insurers for losses from “interrupted business” at the Ocean Club.
An article in the Guardian newspaper quoted a Mark Warner spokesman as saying: "It is a matter of public record that Mark Warner's bookings to Portugal were affected by events nearly two years ago, but the resort remains very popular and we are looking forward to resuming our summer operations there this May."

It occurs to me that it could be that the silence Mrs Hill refers to has been imposed on her by the police either before or after she was questioned as a witness a few weeks ago.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterion on 22.12.14 20:07

So the Ocean Club isn`t by the ocean. How strange.

mysterion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 22.12.14 20:15

@mysterion wrote:So the Ocean Club isn`t by the ocean. How strange.

No strange - just marketing!
Weird tho' that MW chose it - usually their resorts have a waterfront. And they are picky so this always was an anomaly- hence surprised they did not ditch it earlier - maybe tied in by contract?
Will not make a dent in their profits.

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 22.12.14 21:32

PdL, MW, OceanClub is on the Atlantic coast of Portugal, the bit that faces South.
It is not on the Mediterranean, as Gerry seemed to think.
Have I missed something ?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 22.12.14 21:37

@ultimaThule wrote:
It occurs to me that it could be that the silence Mrs Hill refers to has been imposed on her by the police either before or after she was questioned as a witness a few weeks ago.      
They seem NOT to to have spoken out for the last seven and a half years, so I suspect it dates back a long way further than that. About 7 and a half years, probably
Which may be why people are now beginning to hate what they did , in agreeing under duress, - or payment - . . .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 22.12.14 22:30

@PeterMac wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:
They seem NOT to to have spoken out for the last seven and a half years, so I suspect it dates back a long way further than that.  About 7 and a half years, probably
Which may be why people are now beginning to hate what they did , in agreeing under duress, - or payment -  . . .
Confidentiality agreements and super-inaudibles aplenty.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverspeed on 22.12.14 23:38

PeterMac wrote:It is up now.

Wonder why they chose that picture of Madeleine for the above article.

Silverspeed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 22.12.14 23:43

@Silverspeed wrote:PeterMac wrote:It is up now.

That photo makes me shudder.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maebee on 23.12.14 0:02

@aquila wrote:

Me too. They could have chosen any one of the dozens of other pics of Madeleine Sad. How this "Blue Eye-Shadow" pic of Madeleine ever got out there, I will never know. Very suspicious pic ,imo:(

maebee
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory on 23.12.14 0:03

@Praiaaa wrote:OC is an anomaly - was always discounted on their website even pre '07 - so was no surprise to me that the cheapskate wannabe MC (IMO) T9 chose it.
I don't believe that the cheapskate philosophy was why they chose OC PdL, there were other more compelling reasons for them to do so IMO.

Rogue-a-Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory on 23.12.14 0:04

@maebee wrote:
@aquila wrote:

Me too. They could have chosen any one of the dozens of other pics of Madeleine Sad. How this "Blue Eye-Shadow" pic of Madeleine ever got out there, I will never know. Very suspicious pic ,imo:(
agree

Rogue-a-Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silverspeed on 23.12.14 0:15

She looks older imo in this image than she does in the supposed last photo. Maybe it's just the make up.

Silverspeed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.12.14 0:17

I suspect that's not why Silverspeed asked why the portugalresident publication chose to use that particular photograph.

The fact that photograph is even in the public domain is astounding. This is from a family who have a missing child and a whole host of media professionals on the doorstep within hours of her disappearance. This media machine then 'advised' the McCanns that this was an appropriate photograph to release? It beggars belief it was taken in the first place - it doesn't look an innocent photograph to me but just supposing it was - why would a media machine think that photo appropriate to put out?

I have a few thoughts on that and I'll keep them to myself.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 23.12.14 0:48

@PeterMac wrote:
@Silver Shuffle wrote:

12 December 2014: Ocean Club

We regret to inform you that Mark Warner no longer have a contract with the Ocean Club and therefore this property has been removed from their Summer 2015 programme with immediate effect.
Our website will be updated shortly to reflect this. 
- See more at: http://www.thevacationcompany.net/news/article.php?newsId=108#sthash.rxpGvPEG.dpuf
The CURSE of the McCanns strikes, yet again.

They even, helpfully show the Tapas restaurant and the pool and the pool reception, and in doing so, the distance . . . .
Lies! All lies! It is a deceitful and disgraceful attack on the Mccanns. Everyone knows the distance from the Tapas bar to the apartment was no farther than dining in your back garden (...if you happen to own Tatton Park).

In my sarcastic opinion.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 23.12.14 1:16

@PeterMac wrote:PdL, MW, OceanClub is on the Atlantic coast of Portugal, the bit that faces South.
It is not on the Mediterranean, as Gerry seemed to think.
Have I missed something ?

Only the bit about the south west coast of Portugal being a prime location for spotting the oldest continuously serving navy in the world sailing to and from its docks in Lisbon, PeterM  rotfl

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 23.12.14 1:30

@aquila wrote:I suspect that's not why Silverspeed asked why the portugalresident publication chose to use that particular photograph.

The fact that photograph is even in the public domain is astounding. This is from a family who have a missing child and a whole host of media professionals on the doorstep within hours of her disappearance. This media machine then 'advised' the McCanns that this was an appropriate photograph to release? It beggars belief it was taken in the first place - it doesn't look an innocent photograph to me but just supposing it was - why would a media machine think that photo appropriate to put out?

I have a few thoughts on that and I'll keep them to myself.
Gives me the creeps, like those toddlers all dolled up as adults in Texas beauty pageants. It just doesn't sit right, and the kind of unwelcome interest it might encourage...Hmm...not good!

In my opinion.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.12.14 1:33

@Brian Griffin wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:
@Silver Shuffle wrote:

12 December 2014: Ocean Club

We regret to inform you that Mark Warner no longer have a contract with the Ocean Club and therefore this property has been removed from their Summer 2015 programme with immediate effect.
Our website will be updated shortly to reflect this. 
- See more at: http://www.thevacationcompany.net/news/article.php?newsId=108#sthash.rxpGvPEG.dpuf
The CURSE of the McCanns strikes, yet again.

They even, helpfully show the Tapas restaurant and the pool and the pool reception, and in doing so, the distance . . . .
Lies! All lies! It is a deceitful and disgraceful attack on the Mccanns. Everyone knows the distance from the Tapas bar to the apartment was no farther than dining in your back garden (...if you happen to own Tatton Park).

In my sarcastic opinion.
The McCanns helpfully invited the public into their back garden (size of a postage stamp by comparison to OC)....that would be the video where Kate asked one of the twins should she let Daddy in through the locked patio doors to the kitchen where the camera crew were ready and waiting to film the twins with Kate making a painting with the word 'Madeleine' and prompting one of the children to comment.

There was also the 'cheese wi colly' just to show the parents don't stuff red meat down their kids throats - which one of the twins flicked about the table...probably wanted those biscuits, milk and sea bass. I bet they cut the bit where the kids asked where's the fish fingers mum?

In my sarcastic opinion.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 23.12.14 2:09

Only sea bass fish goujons for our Tarquin, you know. In Portugal when he was too young even to say 'fish' he developed a penchant for the texture, delicacy and...and...och, where the f*ck is Michel Roux Jnr when you need him? We'll have to sue him!

In my opinion. Parody intended.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Photos

Post by PeterMac on 23.12.14 8:53

Off topic, but just for the record in case people have forgotten, or are new to the site
The one on the left is by Graham Ovenden, who went to prison for making indecent images.
Spot the difference.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daryl Dixon on 23.12.14 9:11

I can't see anything 'indecent' or strange about Madeleine's blue eyeshadow photo. It's just a little girl playing dress up with make up, beads and fancy dress. Get a grip people.

Daryl Dixon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum