The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Guest on 09.05.11 22:54

Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?,

09 May 2011

The Telegraph

The disappearance of her daughter drove the doctor and mother-of-three to the brink of suicide, she says. Cassandra Jardine reports.



By Cassandra Jardine
8:12PM BST 09 May2011

So far there has been only one public recantation. A tabloid journalist wrote yesterday that he "rues the day" he rubbished the McCanns' version of the disappearance of their daughter, Madeleine, four years ago. Many others might follow suit having read Kate McCann's account of events, which will be published this Thursday, to mark Madeleine's eighth birthday.

From advance extracts of her book, Madeleine, she emerges not as the hatchet-faced blonde who generated so many vicious blogs, comments and column-inches, but as an ordinary woman who reacted to catastrophe by appearing tight-lipped and dry-eyed. That didn't mean she wasn't feeling everything any woman would feel after she checked the holiday apartment in Praia de Luz, in Portugal, at 10pm on Friday, May 3, 2007. In her children's room, she found the two-year-old twins, Sean and Amelie, sleeping soundly but in three year-old Madeleine's bed, only Cuddle Cat was to be found. Seeing the patio windows open, a succession of emotions raced through her brain: "Nausea, terror, disbelief, fear. Icy fear. Dear God, no! Please, no!"

In the days, weeks and years that followed, she tells us that she was prey to such despair that, at times, she contemplated suicide by swimming out to sea. Oblivion would have been preferable to imagining what a paedophile might be doing to her daughter, the guilt that tormented her and those terrible mornings when, having dreamt of being reunited with Madeleine, she awoke to harsh reality.

Many of us would prefer not to revisit this painful story again, especially since there is no resolution to one of the great mysteries of our time. Four years ago, we gorged on every detail of the Tapas Seven, the man seen carrying a child in a blanket, and the DNA testing of the car that the McCanns hired for their Algarve holiday. It was a latter-day Grimms' fairy story, one that stirred up every parent's fears because we have all taken tiny risks, whether it be leaving children in the car while dashing to the cashpoint or nipping to the loo when they are playing in water.

Accidents are always foreseeable, but only with hindsight, and most don't happen. As I wrote then, having visited the crime scene in Praia de Luz, I too would have left my children asleep in the McCanns' apartment, which was visible (though not entirely) from the resort restaurant. I might not even have checked them as often as the diligent tapas diners, who returned to the rooms every 15 minutes.

Others disagreed vociferously. Men and women have accused Kate, a part-time GP, of being a bad mother and worse, while Gerry, her cardiologist husband, has had a relatively easy ride. Her critics may chiefly wish to reassure themselves that such bad luck could never befall them, but their venom suggests a lingering prejudice against working mothers, especially those who dress neatly, express themselves crisply, go to church and jog in order to keep up some semblance of normality amid emotional chaos.

Had Kate not been pretty, middle-class and educated, she might have received more sympathy – like, say, Karen Matthews, mother of Shannon, who wept fetchingly for the cameras the following year, although her daughter had not in fact been abducted, only hidden for mercenary reasons. Loaded magazine was one of her few supporters when, crassly, it put the bereft mother on a most-fanciable list. That angel face encouraged the fanciful to think that she must be a devil in disguise, guilty if not of murder then of negligence, just like Lindy Chamberlain, whose child disappeared in the Australian outback 27 years previously. Chamberlain served four years in prison before the child's clothes were found in a dingo's lair.

Kate was made an arguida – chief suspect – by the Portuguese police, who could not amass enough evidence for a charge. But her book doesn't have the plaintive tone of a woman seeking to exonerate herself. She chose to write, it seems, not so much to silence those who still call her a wicked woman, but to raise money for the campaign to find Madeleine. With no police force actively pursuing the case, the McCanns want to continue to employ private investigators.

The book should add considerably to the £130,000 left in the kitty. Despite the fine-tooth comb applied to the evidence four years ago by the press, if not the police, fascinating new details emerge from her account. One that made me shudder was that the nine adults in the McCanns' party block-booked the restaurant near their apartments because it was so close to their sleeping children. Very sensible. But anyone looking for an unattended child could have known this, because a thoughtless member of staff wrote down both the booking, and the reason for it, on a desk at the pool reception, where it could have been easily observed by a paedophile on the lookout for unattended children.

"Who's thinking about child abductions in a sleepy, out-of-town tourist resort?" asked Gerry McCann, expressing the common view among parents that places stuffed full of other parents with small children are supremely secure. Chillingly, the McCanns learnt after the abduction that not only are such resorts an obvious target for paedophiles, but also that parents should have been warned to be vigilant. In 2008, when the Portuguese police officially stopped pursuing the case, their files revealed that in the three years preceding Madeleine's disappearance, three intruders had been disturbed in children's bedrooms within an hour's drive of Praia de Luz and five children had been abused in their beds while on holiday in the Algarve. Evidence had not been collected, let alone collated or publicised.

Among the known paedophiles who could have been in the area are a British couple, Charles O'Neill, 48, and William Lauchlan, 34, both of whom are now in prison for murder in Britain. In May 2007, they were living in Spain, and possibly Portugal, on false passports. The previous year, they were posing as cleaners in a holiday villa complex in Gran Canaria when a child, Yeremi Vargas, went missing. Another possible suspect is Martin Ney, 40, who last month was arrested for the murder of Dennis Klein, a nine-year-old who vanished on a school trip in Germany in 2001. Ney resembles the photofit of the man seen carrying a child by one of the Tapas Seven, shortly before Madeleine’s bed was found empty.

One day, perhaps, the McCanns will have their answer. They are determined not to give up. Carrying on the fight may be a key reason why they have remained together when differing approaches to shock and grief often drive a wedge between parents. James Bulger's parents parted soon after he was murdered by children in 1993. So too did those of Sarah Payne, who was abducted by Roy Whiting in Sussex in 2000. Kate is not the first woman to have found her husband's preference for working all hours to shut out the pain "almost offensive".

The McCanns have two other children, who have been both a solace and a binding influence. But the thought that saved them from despair was that if Madeleine were found, she would wish to come back to a happy home, not one fractured by grief. It is possible that, like Jaycee Dugard or Natascha Kampusch, the girl in the red dress with the unusual eye will one day reappear.

If so, she will find that her mother and father have behaved in a dignified manner – which is more than can be said of some of their critics.


http://www.mccannfiles.com/id232.html

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by ROSA on 09.05.11 23:08

The McCanns have two other children, who have been both a solace and a binding influence. But the thought that saved them from despair was that if Madeleine were found, she would wish to come back to a happy home, not one fractured by grief. It is possible that, like Jaycee Dugard or Natascha Kampusch, the girl in the red dress with the unusual eye will one day reappear.
What would it matter what she comes back to as long as she comes back duh
If so, she will find that her mother and father have behaved in a dignified manner – which is more than can be said of some of their critics.
a dignified manner? so mummy wants to wipe them all out wishs they had all died none of us critics would wish death on the twins

ROSA

Posts : 1189
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2011-04-19
Location : Lakemba Sydney Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 09.05.11 23:12

@ROSA wrote:If so, she will find that her mother and father have behaved in a dignified manner – which is more than can be said of some of their critics.
a dignified manner? so mummy wants to wipe them all out wishs they had all died none of us critics would wish death on the twins

Well said. thumbsup

Get'emGonçalo


Posts : 7123
Reputation : 2506
Join date : 2009-11-25

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Gillyspot on 09.07.11 15:58

candyfloss wrote:So far there has been only one public recantation. A tabloid journalist wrote yesterday that he "rues the day" he rubbished the McCanns' version of the disappearance of their daughter...

That is an interesting choice of words "rues the day". I always understood it to mean regretting something because something bad happens to you because of something you did. Would it be possible this journalist was sued by the McCanns perhaps?

Gillyspot

Posts : 1470
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Kololi on 09.07.11 17:49

"One that made me shudder was that the nine adults in the McCanns' party block-booked the restaurant near their apartments because it was so close to their sleeping children. Very sensible. But anyone looking for an unattended child could have known this, because a thoughtless member of staff wrote down both the booking, and the reason for it, on a desk at the pool reception, where it could have been easily observed by a paedophile on the lookout for unattended children."


What tosh!

A member of staff doing them a favour becomes a thoughtless member of staff for writing their reason down where it might be read by a paedophile and all those parents weren't thoughtless in doing what they did night after night?

Has it not entered this writer's head that a paedophile need only of watched them carrying out their routine night after night to know he had a chance to steal a child? He didn't need to read the book. To call a member of staff thoughtless for their helpful actions now appears to me to be a pathetic way of shifting blame.


"Chillingly, the McCanns learnt after the abduction that not only are such resorts an obvious target for paedophiles, but also that parents should have been warned to be vigilant. In 2008, when the Portuguese police officially stopped pursuing the case, their files revealed that in the three years preceding Madeleine's disappearance, three intruders had been disturbed in children's bedrooms within an hour's drive of Praia de Luz and five children had been abused in their beds while on holiday in the Algarve. Evidence had not been collected, let alone collated or publicised."


If it wasn't collated or publicised how would the staff have known about it to be able to warn the McCanns and their friends?


Sorry, as somebody who tries to remain open minded I actually find this report quite unfair and verging on blowing smoke up Mrs McCann's ass for the sake of it. But then each of us is entitled to an opinion - I just do not agree with this one.

Kololi

Posts : 677
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2010-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by PeterMac on 09.07.11 17:58

"Chillingly, the McCanns learnt after the abduction that not only are such resorts an obvious target for paedophiles, but also that parents should have been warned to be vigilant."
It really is the most utter bilge.
Places with children are the obvious targets for paedophiles.
Beach resorts, swimming pools, playgrounds, public parks, schools, youth clubs, .....
Anywhere there are children in fact.
Parents should have been warned ..? Of what ?

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another dreadful article and it's not from The Sun this time!

Post by Marian on 09.07.11 18:24

It's so much more depressing when a journalist from a quality newspaper comes up with mind-numbing dross like this article. How an experienced professional could swallow the codswallop of Kate's work of fiction hook, line and sinker is beyond me.

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bad journalism.

Post by tigger on 22.07.11 18:24

@Marian wrote:It's so much more depressing when a journalist from a quality newspaper comes up with mind-numbing dross like this article. How an experienced professional could swallow the codswallop of Kate's work of fiction hook, line and sinker is beyond me.

I know why Marian, they've been to Media School, where they learned to use a spell checker and to string more than five words together. Thinking and logic aren't on the syllabus. There, I've met quite a few journos. It's always possible that they simply need to stay in the job and write what the boss tells them.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by LG78 on 22.08.11 21:25

Im sure they would have had lots of booking if the messages you first recive is:" Your kid may be kidnapped or abused by pedophiles while staying here, have a great holliday and welcome back :) "

LG78

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by lj on 22.08.11 22:59

@PeterMac wrote:"Chillingly, the McCanns learnt after the abduction that not only are such resorts an obvious target for paedophiles, but also that parents should have been warned to be vigilant."
It really is the most utter bilge.
Places with children are the obvious targets for paedophiles.
Beach resorts, swimming pools, playgrounds, public parks, schools, youth clubs, .....
Anywhere there are children in fact.
Parents should have been warned ..? Of what ?

Obvious target says it all, doesn't it? As you say: places with children are obvious targets, duhh!

As far as being warned: As I understood Ocean club had just like any other hotel everywhere in the world signs up "DON'T LET CHILDREN UNATTENDED" or something similar. What other obvious warning do they need? Oh, I forgot, they are doctors, they have seen the plethora of freak accidents kids get into if they are left to their own devices, but like many more things they should have learned in medical school, they need some extra warning, where a normal mom with common sense just knows this.

Effing stupid fools.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3276
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Warned about burglaries

Post by tigger on 23.08.11 6:39

@lj wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:"Chillingly, the McCanns learnt after the abduction that not only are such resorts an obvious target for paedophiles, but also that parents should have been warned to be vigilant."
It really is the most utter bilge.
Places with children are the obvious targets for paedophiles.
Beach resorts, swimming pools, playgrounds, public parks, schools, youth clubs, .....
Anywhere there are children in fact.
Parents should have been warned ..? Of what ?

Obvious target says it all, doesn't it? As you say: places with children are obvious targets, duhh!

As far as being warned: As I understood Ocean club had just like any other hotel everywhere in the world signs up "DON'T LET CHILDREN UNATTENDED" or something similar. What other obvious warning do they need? Oh, I forgot, they are doctors, they have seen the plethora of freak accidents kids get into if they are left to their own devices, but like many more things they should have learned in medical school, they need some extra warning, where a normal mom with common sense just knows this.

Effing stupid fools.

They were warned about burglaries, however this is never mentioned. A spate of burglaries had taken place just before they arrived. So leaving your patiodoors open wouldn't be the best course of action.
But Kate never, never mentioned the burglaries. Because that would make their actions even more incomprehensible.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by lj on 24.08.11 16:04

Thank God, there were no valuables taken!



One of these unbelievable stupid and callous remarks that make me fume.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3276
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by pauline on 24.08.11 16:18

[quote="lj"]Thank God, there were no valuables taken!

Fortunately not, only Madeleine.


pauline

Posts : 548
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-05-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by PeterMac on 24.08.11 17:20

They were warned about burglaries, however this is never mentioned. A spate of burglaries had taken place just before they arrived. So leaving your patiodoors open wouldn't be the best course of action.
But Kate never, never mentioned the burglaries. Because that would make their actions even more incomprehensible.

But the failure to mention it makes it more likely that the whole scenario did not take place as advertised. They did NOT leave the patio doors unlocked. They did NOT make the half hourly visits and so on and on. The apartment was locked as any sensible person would. Only the fact that the children were left unattended and unsupervised is correct.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Marian on 24.08.11 18:06

PeterMac: you think that all the children were left alone then? I know I'm not the only one on the site who believes that they were all in one apartment with at least one adult. The supposed checking every half an hour (or whenever) was the cover story to explain how Madeleine came to be missing.

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by aiyoyo on 24.08.11 18:20

The McCanns have two other children, who have been both a solace and a
binding influence. But the thought that saved them from despair was that
if Madeleine were found, she would wish to come back to a happy home,
not one fractured by grief
. It is possible that, like Jaycee Dugard or
Natascha Kampusch, the girl in the red dress with the unusual eye will
one day reappear.

hmm...I dont quite understand that sentence.

....does it mean they are no longer griefing but now a happy family and the lost of Maddie doesn't bother them now. And if Maddie were to come home she'll see them happy even without her?

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by aiyoyo on 24.08.11 18:23

@lj wrote:Thank God, there were no valuables taken!

Err.......Maddie is not valuable ?

If you are dead you can no longer be classified as 'taken valuables' I suppose.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Happy homes?

Post by Marian on 24.08.11 18:32

Aiyoyo, I'm trying to fathom out that sentence too. If Madeleine was to come back, they would be a complete family again and she wouldn't know about all the previous grief unless they told her about it. Yes, this is very strangely worded.

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That's what I meant.

Post by tigger on 24.08.11 19:01

@PeterMac wrote:
They were warned about burglaries, however this is never mentioned. A spate of burglaries had taken place just before they arrived. So leaving your patiodoors open wouldn't be the best course of action.
But Kate never, never mentioned the burglaries. Because that would make their actions even more incomprehensible.

But the failure to mention it makes it more likely that the whole scenario did not take place as advertised. They did NOT leave the patio doors unlocked. They did NOT make the half hourly visits and so on and on. The apartment was locked as any sensible person would. Only the fact that the children were left unattended and unsupervised is correct.

I should have said, that would make their story even more incomprehensible. As I remember, the burglar was surprised by the tenant on one occasion. I'll try and find this. I think Mrs. Fenn was burgled as well.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by hali on 12.11.11 14:42

??????????????

hali

Posts : 3
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2011-11-03
Location : hampshire/oxfordshire varied

View user profile

Back to top Go down

From Mrs Fenn's Statement

Post by Gillyspot on 12.11.11 15:02

Mrs Fenn statement of 20th August 2007

"When questioned she said that she never saw any strange person or action before or after the event. She claims however, that a week previously she was the victim of an attempted robbery, which was not successful and neither was anything taken, thinking that the crying of the child could be linked to another attempted robbery in the residence."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/PAMELA_FENN.htm

I would assume by the wording that the burglar didn't get in her apartment as nothing was taken (unless she scared them off as was in at the time).

hali welcome2 Mrs Fenn lived above the McCanns apartment in PDL if that makes sense.

____________________
Kate McCann "I know that what happened is not due to the fact of us leaving the children asleep. I know it happened under other circumstances"

Gillyspot

Posts : 1470
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2011-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann: why didn't they believe her?, 09 May 2011

Post by Shibboleth on 12.11.11 18:13

@Marian wrote:Aiyoyo, I'm trying to fathom out that sentence too. If Madeleine was to come back, they would be a complete family again and she wouldn't know about all the previous grief unless they told her about it. Yes, this is very strangely worded.

She will just slip right in to that *spare place* at the dinner table. (She does not have her own space, that is how I understand it).

____________________
“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.” ~ Joseph Stalin, 1897-1953
"If Adolph Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway." ~ Joe Strummer, 1952-2002

Shibboleth

Posts : 500
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-10-16
Location : Jaffa - Tel Aviv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum