The Fund has been set up so that both parties may have equal access to Justice, and to adequate legal represntation. All donations welcome, no matter how little you can give, it will all go to help Dr Amaral fight this legal battle against the McCanns on a level playing field.
Please go to Joana's site for more information.
"Are there any particular rules about funding litigation in
Portugal? Are there any contingency/conditional fee
arrangements? Are there rules on security for costs?
A means based state funded legal aid scheme exists to ensure justice
is available to all irrespective of means. This scheme not only assists
in providing legal representation but also in paying the court fees due.
Portuguese Bar Association Rules permit lawyers to agree with
their clients a success fee in litigation matters. These are similar to
conditional fee arrangements in that the lawyer's fees are always
charged to the client but that in the event that a successful result is
achieved a percentage success fee of the result obtained is also
payable by the client."
- Posts : 334
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-04
1. The citizens that form the movement 'Citizens for Defence of Rights and Freedoms - Project Justice Goncalo Amaral associate in a free, independent and apolitical manner.
2. The movement seeks to recover, protect and promote freedom of expression, as an inalienable right that is consecrated by the Portuguese Republic's constitution.
3.Citizen Goncalo Amaral presently finds himself deprived of his freedom of expression and of financial means that are adequate t the needs of his defence. Therefore Project Justice Goncalo Amaral creates a legal defence fund by means of a solidarity account.
4. This account has the bank identification number (NB) 0010 0000 438 0385 000 1 62 - IBAN: 50 0010 0000 438 0385 000 1 62 - Swift: BB PI PT PL, at BP1 -Banco Portugues de Investimento, Sete Rios branch, in Lisbon.
5. The Defence Fund will support Goncalo Amaral financially in his struggle to restore freedom of expression. Financial support will be delivered whenever proved necessary, and exclusivley through the payment of judicial expenses.
6. This initiative is subject to principles of full transparency and seriousness, including regular updates or information about the account's movements.
7. Financial resources that are deemed excessive in the future, will be delivered to a social institution, dedicated to support children in need.
Actually, I could hardly make out his supporters, they were obscured by all his old colleagues from the PJ crowding in to wish him well.....
- Posts : 269
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-02
Hahaha, that was actually quite funny. Ten (!) people and a demented bag lady turned up, the rest were journalists.
Thats not a nice thing to say about Joana a bag lady indeed
- Posts : 22
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-16