The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 14.12.10 15:52

@tosca wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@tosca wrote:This incident looks very damaging however, I think the police did an excellent job dealing with a feral crowd, I cannot believe tht these 'students' are our future..pretty scary really, I would send them all to boot camp, we are too soft on vandalism and criminal damage and I also believe protests should be banned.

I beg to differ. I think they should continue to protest until fee is reversed. Cameron ought to hang his head in shame for sucking the students blood to fund allowance for MPs secondary homes.

Education should be free in order not to discriminate against the financially poor, otherwise it should be nominal. Can you imagine the frustration of the academically able but financially poor constrained by money and deprived of further education. If they borrow where would they get the money to pay back? Before they even complete their education or get a job (and job market is so poor in this economy) they are already heavily in debt not helped by compounding interest.

Students are future for any country. If only the rich can afford University then the gap of social class divide will widen and the disparity will be a burden for the social system and country.

If you undertand what the government are doing then you will understand that the 'students' won't have to pay anything back until they are earning in excess of £21.000 and going by the behaviour of a lot of those 'students' they will probably end up earning far less!!

Well, no matter what they still need to pay it back. After tax and loan repayment they will be left with nothing to live.
What is the point of going out sky dark and returning sky dark to earn a living barely enough to repay debts for years? Anyway its not about their post education job or earning.
It's about not depriving the poor getting a university education. The hugh fee is a detering factor. The government should encourage high literacy rate and high educational level to stay competitive with the world. is UK degenerating back to third world country standard?

Oh I understand what the government is doing alright.
Filling up their deficit any way they can at the expense of the students.
Of course their privilege children will not be affected.
Maybe they're emulating Herr Hitler and building up an elitist society.
Get off your high horse and stop pretending you are not common and the problems of the common do not affect you. Could it be because you you are not university material so it doesnt bother you one way or another?
All manifestations/riots are choatic, the students protest is no exception. What do you think is wrong with their behavior - do You expect them to march peacefully in front of NO. 10?
The government should be thankful it didnt turn out to be a bloodshed.
There should be a student union and they should protest until they forced this disgraceful government to step down.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 16:03

I posted this a few posts ago...........

I notice that this thread has morphed into talking about the student protests. It has gone completely off topic. Please can we keep to the subject in the op. Please feel free to open another thread in news topics section to continue the discussion. Thanks

Please can we stay on the topic of this thread.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 14.12.10 16:07

candyfloss wrote:The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007.


Not very good PR for them is it.

One would have thought a re-opening is more important than a review? What is the point of their petition if not to find Maddie?
Why would they want a review but not re-open?
Only the police can search for her, not the policitians?
Games and more games...but oh dear the wikileak has spoilt their plan?

They panic alright.
If it was but a historical piece of document, why the need to counter and explain away it as if they are concerned by the contents?
More than 3 years old he said, well Maddie is still missing after all this time?

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 14.12.10 16:10

candyfloss wrote:I posted this a few posts ago...........

I notice that this thread has morphed into talking about the student protests. It has gone completely off topic. Please can we keep to the subject in the op. Please feel free to open another thread in news topics section to continue the discussion. Thanks

Please can we stay on the topic of this thread.

Sorry, candyfloss. I respond straight after reading the post, before going back to read further then spot your post after.
Aiye Aiye Madame...time to stick to topic.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by YNG on 14.12.10 16:18

TM's tactics are becoming so transparant yes

Associate opponent charges with old news. A derivative of the straw man -- usually, in any large-scale matter of high visibility, someone will make charges early on which can be or were already easily dealt with - a kind of investment for the future should the matter not be so easily contained.) Where it can be foreseen, have your own side raise a straw man issue and have it dealt with early on as part of the initial contingency plans. Subsequent charges, regardless of validity or new ground uncovered, can usually then be associated with the original charge and dismissed as simply being a rehash without need to address current issues -- so much the better where the opponent is or was involved with the original source.



Use a straw man. Find or create a seeming element of your opponent's argument which you can easily knock down to make yourself look good and the opponent to look bad. Either make up an issue you may safely imply exists based on your interpretation of the opponent/opponent arguments/situation, or select the weakest aspect of the weakest charges. Amplify their significance and destroy them in a way which appears to debunk all the charges, real and fabricated alike, while actually avoiding discussion of the real issues.



Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Regardless of what you know, don't discuss it -- especially if you are a public figure, news anchor, etc. If it's not reported, it didn't happen, and you never have to deal with the issues.

YNG

Posts : 410
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 16:20

The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007


The above statement has made me really angry. angry2 tearhairout How can they keep bleating on about noone looking for Madeleine, and then have their lawyer say this. wtf2 Totally unbelievable.!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by YNG on 14.12.10 16:28

candyfloss wrote:The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007


The above statement has made me really angry. angry2 tearhairout How can they keep bleating on about noone looking for Madeleine, and then have their lawyer say this. wtf2 Totally unbelievable.!!

Did Rogério Alves give any explanation as to why he opposes the reopening of the inquiry ?

YNG

Posts : 410
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 14.12.10 16:28

candyfloss wrote:The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007


The above statement has made me really angry. How can they keep bleating on about noone looking for Madeleine, and then have their lawyer say this. Totally unbelievable.!!

Well, they shot themselves in the foot and called their own bluff.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 16:32

@YNG wrote:
candyfloss wrote:The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007


The above statement has made me really angry. angry2 tearhairout How can they keep bleating on about noone looking for Madeleine, and then have their lawyer say this. wtf2 Totally unbelievable.!!

Did Rogério Alves give any explanation as to why he opposes the reopening of the inquiry ?


YNG you can read the full article in my post on previous page (p5) at 2.51pm

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by YNG on 14.12.10 16:38

candyfloss wrote:
@YNG wrote:
candyfloss wrote:The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007


The above statement has made me really angry. angry2 tearhairout How can they keep bleating on about noone looking for Madeleine, and then have their lawyer say this. wtf2 Totally unbelievable.!!

Did Rogério Alves give any explanation as to why he opposes the reopening of the inquiry ?


YNG you can read the full article in my post on previous page (p5) at 2.51pm

Thank You candyfloss , I didn't see it before .......... howdy

Oh dear Oh dear , best he can come up with ......... " “That information is completely useless. It only contains a reference to a piece of evidence that the Public Ministry and the Polícia Judiciária (PJ) considered to be totally useless, which consisted of a couple of dogs that having barked, but being naturally unable to depose in a court room, would constitute some sort of indication against the child’s parents”, he said." .........

Woof Woof big grin


YNG

Posts : 410
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Cheshire Cat on 14.12.10 17:06

@tosca wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:I don't speak for the UK Police.
I don't think the UK Police have a 'position'.
What I do know that every one of my ex-colleagues at all ranks thinks that, shall we say, there is "some connection" !
As does a very senior and hard-nosed Barrister, Head of Chambers, of my acquaintance who scanned the now banned 60R book.
None of this is sufficient of course, nor even compelling.
We must all resist the temptation to say we know better. We are all trying to examine the details of what we have been given, to 'develop' it into evidence
"Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up" is the fallacy of 'a priori' reasoning.
Typical in fact of the pro-McCann camp. "There is a wholly innocent explanation for any material the police may or may not have found." Absolute idiocy of the first degree.

Thanks for that, I understand

Thank you Peter.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Autumn on 14.12.10 17:07

'The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007.'

So there we have it, their lawyer confirms what we, of course, have known all along.
It is an absolute disgrace that the UK press are keeping quiet about this yet are happy to report on the McCanns' pretendy petition. If ever there was proof that the McCanns have something to hide this is it. Why on earth would their lawyer state that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry, this statement makes an absolute mockery of the McCanns' claims that they want a review and that no authority is doing anything?

Perhaps tweeters could get this out into the open

Autumn

Posts : 2603
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2009-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 17:10

@Autumn wrote:'The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007.'

So there we have it, their lawyer confirms what we, of course, have known all along.
It is an absolute disgrace that the UK press are keeping quiet about this yet are happy to report on the McCanns' pretendy petition. If ever there was proof that the McCanns have something to hide this is it. Why on earth would their lawyer state that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry, this statement makes an absolute mockery of the McCanns' claims that they want a review and that no authority is doing anything?

Perhaps tweeters could get this out into the open

clapping1 @ Autumn,


It's already being tweeted Autumn for last couple of hours. Plenty of them

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=McCann

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Judge Mental on 14.12.10 17:26

@YNG wrote:TM's tactics are becoming so transparant yes

Associate opponent charges with old news. A derivative of the straw man -- usually, in any large-scale matter of high visibility, someone will make charges early on which can be or were already easily dealt with - a kind of investment for the future should the matter not be so easily contained.) Where it can be foreseen, have your own side raise a straw man issue and have it dealt with early on as part of the initial contingency plans. Subsequent charges, regardless of validity or new ground uncovered, can usually then be associated with the original charge and dismissed as simply being a rehash without need to address current issues -- so much the better where the opponent is or was involved with the original source.


Use a straw man. Find or create a seeming element of your opponent's argument which you can easily knock down to make yourself look good and the opponent to look bad. Either make up an issue you may safely imply exists based on your interpretation of the opponent/opponent arguments/situation, or select the weakest aspect of the weakest charges. Amplify their significance and destroy them in a way which appears to debunk all the charges, real and fabricated alike, while actually avoiding discussion of the real issues.



Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Regardless of what you know, don't discuss it -- especially if you are a public figure, news anchor, etc. If it's not reported, it didn't happen, and you never have to deal with the issues.

And of course, if all else fails and your opponents still will not shut up, it is within the bounds of reasonable parenting ex-arguidoship/possible arguidoship, to resort to what we have seen a great deal of in this case and

''To silence critics: If the above methods do not prevail, consider removing opponents from circulation by some definitive solution so that the need to address issues is removed entirely. This can be by their death, arrest and detention, blackmail or destruction of their character by release of blackmail information, or merely by destroying them financially, emotionally, or severely damaging their health.''

Judge Mental

Posts : 2764
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-17
Age : 79
Location : Chambers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by YNG on 14.12.10 17:55

@Judge Mental wrote:
And of course, if all else fails and your opponents still will not shut up, it is within the bounds of reasonable parenting ex-arguidoship/possible arguidoship, to resort to what we have seen a great deal of in this case and

''To silence critics: If the above methods do not prevail, consider removing opponents from circulation by some definitive solution so that the need to address issues is removed entirely. This can be by their death, arrest and detention, blackmail or destruction of their character by release of blackmail information, or merely by destroying them financially, emotionally, or severely damaging their health.''

Flak Jackets & Tin Hats all round tease

YNG

Posts : 410
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 14.12.10 18:09

candyfloss wrote:
@Autumn wrote:'The McCann couple’s lawyer in Portugal, Rogério Alves, has said in a statement to TSF that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine in Lagos, in the Algarve, in 2007.'

So there we have it, their lawyer confirms what we, of course, have known all along.
It is an absolute disgrace that the UK press are keeping quiet about this yet are happy to report on the McCanns' pretendy petition. If ever there was proof that the McCanns have something to hide this is it. Why on earth would their lawyer state that he opposes the reopening of the inquiry, this statement makes an absolute mockery of the McCanns' claims that they want a review and that no authority is doing anything?

Perhaps tweeters could get this out into the open

@ Autumn,


It's already being tweeted Autumn for last couple of hours. Plenty of them

[url=http://search.twitter.com/search?q=McCann
http://search.twitter.com/search?q=McCann[/quote[/url]]

This will never be covered by UK press, that is the whole trouble.
We shall see whether people will queue to buy their storybook after this revelation!

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 18:45

PGR will not reopen McCann

The Attorney General's Office (PGR) considers that there are no facts "new, credible and relevant" to reopen the investigation related to Madeleine McCann, the British child disappeared in the Algarve in 2007.

18h33




In a reply sent to the agency Lusa, the RMP notes that "has repeatedly stated that the investigation may be reopened if new facts come to light, credible and relevant." But "so far met only opinions, theories in the abstract, ramblings, reasoning and unfounded publicity maneuver, which is not enough to reopen the investigation," reads the note.
A telegram from the U.S. embassy in London, dated September 2007 and released on Monday, says the disappearance of British child in May of that year, noting it was the British police who had gathered evidence against the parents.
The document refers to a meeting of the American ambassadors in London and the British held on September 21, 2007. Among several other issues, including Russia and Zimbabwe, diplomats discussed the disappearance of Madeleine McCann at a time when it had great media attention on the subject.
"No further details of the case Ellis [British Ambassador] admitted that British police had developed the current evidence against McCann parents, noting that the authorities of both countries were cooperating," writes the American ambassador in the telegram.
The spokesman for the girl's parents, Clarence Mitchell, has devalued the reference of the then British ambassador to Portugal that had been the British police to find evidence against the couple, considering it a "completely historical footnote" and outdated.

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/noticia.aspx?contentid=BCBB832B-ACE0-4C73-9691-1B580526EF14&channelid=00000010-0000-0000-0000-000000000010

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 14.12.10 18:46

candyfloss wrote:PGR will not reopen McCann

The Attorney General's Office (PGR) considers that there are no facts "new, credible and relevant" to reopen the investigation related to Madeleine McCann, the British child disappeared in the Algarve in 2007.

18h33




In a reply sent to the agency Lusa, the RMP notes that "has repeatedly stated that the investigation may be reopened if new facts come to light, credible and relevant." But "so far met only opinions, theories in the abstract, ramblings, reasoning and unfounded publicity maneuver, which is not enough to reopen the investigation," reads the note.
A telegram from the U.S. embassy in London, dated September 2007 and released on Monday, says the disappearance of British child in May of that year, noting it was the British police who had gathered evidence against the parents.
The document refers to a meeting of the American ambassadors in London and the British held on September 21, 2007. Among several other issues, including Russia and Zimbabwe, diplomats discussed the disappearance of Madeleine McCann at a time when it had great media attention on the subject.
"No further details of the case Ellis [British Ambassador] admitted that British police had developed the current evidence against McCann parents, noting that the authorities of both countries were cooperating," writes the American ambassador in the telegram.
The spokesman for the girl's parents, Clarence Mitchell, has devalued the reference of the then British ambassador to Portugal that had been the British police to find evidence against the couple, considering it a "completely historical footnote" and outdated.

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/noticia.aspx?contentid=BCBB832B-ACE0-4C73-9691-1B580526EF14&channelid=00000010-0000-0000-0000-000000000010

ETA Google translation

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 15.12.10 1:03


by Cristina Cardoso (Lusa)

Lisbon, Nov 13 (Lusa) – The Attorney General’s Office considers that there are no “new, credible and relevant” facts in order to reopen the investigation related to Madeleine McCann, the English child that disappeared in the Algarve in 2007.

In a reply that was sent to Lusa agency, the Attorney General’s Office recalls that “it has been repeatedly stated that the inquiry may be reopened if new, credible and relevant facts appear”. Nonetheless, “so far all that has been known are opinions, abstract thesis, divagations, baseless reasoning and publicitary maneuvers, which is not enough to reopen the inquiry”, the note reads.

A telegram from the USA embassy in Lisbon, dated September 2007 and released on Monday, mentions the disappearance of the English child in May that year, pointing out that it was the English police that discovered evidence against the parents.


in: Lusa, December 14, 2010 "


Judging by PM comments, unless a body surfaces or CCTV images are produced, peititioners are wasting their time.

So far the reaction from the mccanns via their lawyer is they're not interested in reopening the case, neither is the PM. end of case then.

The dogs barking is discredited by mccanns laywer as useless and any state basing it on that is undemocratic? So he thinks UK and USA are undemocratic? The mccanns sure can hire them...or is it the mccanns effect?

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 15.12.10 9:15

The fraudulent entries in the creche records is hard NEW evidence, which they must have missed the first time round or else it would not have been released in the files for millions of people to see.

So there you go. Be careful what you wish for Mr Attorney General.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 15.12.10 9:56

Nonetheless, “so far all that has been known are opinions, abstract thesis, divagations, baseless reasoning and publicitary maneuvers, which is not enough to reopen the inquiry”, the note reads.

I wonder whether AG's sardonic and sarcastic remarks are aimed at bloggers and anti-mccanns theorists?
Surely he cant mean the police from both sides? abstract thesis? baseless reasoning? publicitary manouveres (sp) ? Is this the very person who decided to shelve the case? Its a no wonder!

Isabel Duarte said the process must be reopened regardlessly while the other Portuguese lawyer said it must not be opened no matter what because those old evidence is worthless and dogs barking useless, unless people know where Maddie is - blimey heck what do the mccanns want to do with their petition if it is not to review old evidence?

I think what is pertinent is they saw fit to respond even when their spin master said this is but historical note. If it's merely historical and pointless, why did he bother defending it? Not so worthless then hey...rather very damaging for them for this to have crept up in the public domain. So it wasn't just a bunch of sardine munchers who suspected your clients and made them arguidos then? If this investigation was UK's sole remit, the mccanns would be eating porridge for a long time.











aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Guest on 15.12.10 10:47

Todays article in Daily Mail = updated

British police ‘developed evidence’ against McCanns, WikiLeaks cable claims

By Vanessa Allen
Last updated at 12:00 AM on 15th December 2010

The role British police played in the Madeleine McCann investigation is under scrutiny after leaked documents claimed they ‘developed’ evidence against her parents.
Britain’s ambassador to Portugal told his U.S. counterpart that British detectives ‘had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents’, according to a diplomatic cable revealed by the WikiLeaks website.
The previously secret meeting took place on September 21, 2007 – two weeks after Portuguese police named Kate and Gerry McCann as ‘arguidos’, or formal suspects, in their daughter’s disappearance.
Tough times: Kate and Gerry McCann were subject to a Portuguese police investigation, allegedly aided by evidence 'developed' by their British counterparts
The leaked cable has raised fresh questions about the extent of British police involvement in the Portuguese investigation.
Mr and Mrs McCann, both 42, have won a series of libel payouts from newspapers over suggestions they were involved in their daughter’s disappearance.
But the leaked cable suggests British police were actively involved in helping to build a case against them.


The couple believe the decision to name them as arguidos jeopardised the hunt for their daughter, because it may have stopped potential witnesses from coming forward with information.
And it forced them to endure an agonising ten-month wait until Portuguese police admitted they had found no evidence against them, and shelved the case.
British police have always insisted they were responsible only for co-ordinating inquiries in Britain at the request of the Portuguese authorities.
But that account has been called into question by the leaked diplomatic cables, and by allegations by senior Portuguese detectives involved in the hunt.
In the diplomatic cable to Washington, marked ‘confidential’, U.S. ambassador Al Hoffman discussed a meeting with his British counterpart, Alexander Wykeham Ellis.
Missing: Madeleine McCann disappeared while on holiday in Portugal
He wrote: ‘Madeleine McCann’s disappearance in the south of Portugal in May 2007 has generated international media attention with controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the actions of Madeleine’s parents.

Without delving into the details of the case, Ellis admitted that the British police had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents, and he stressed that authorities from both countries were working co-operatively.
‘He commented that the media frenzy was to be expected and was acceptable as long as government officials keep their comments behind closed doors.’
The cable did not reveal what evidence had been ‘developed’ by police in Britain, but Portuguese detectives have previously made a series of startling claims about their involvement during a civil court case in Lisbon.

Lawyers for Goncalo Amaral, the former head of the Portuguese investigation, revealed that a confidential report by a British expert had suggested Mr McCann should be investigated for ‘homicide’.
Criminal profiler Lee Rainbow, of the National Policing Improvement Agency, sent the report in June 2007, just a month after three-year-old Madeleine vanished from her family’s rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.
He wrote: ‘The family is a lead that should be followed.
‘The contradictions in Gerald McCann’s statement might lead us to suspect a homicide. This is a lead that should be investigated.’
Mr Amaral’s lawyer told the court: ‘Portuguese police had only considered the abduction theory. It was British police who said they must consider homicide as well.’
The McCanns took legal action against Mr Amaral in an effort to stop the sale of his book, The Truth of the Lie, in which he claimed they covered up their daughter’s death.
His former deputy, Tavares Almeida, gave evidence on his behalf, and said British and Portuguese police had both concluded Madeleine was dead.
He told the court: ‘We all believe she is dead. It was our conclusion as police professionals, both Portuguese and British police. The McCanns didn’t kill her but they concealed her body.’


The couple’s spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, said: ‘The cable is a historic note that is more than three years old.
‘Subsequently, Kate and Gerry had their arguido status lifted, with the Portuguese authorities making it perfectly clear that there was absolutely no evidence to implicate them in Madeleine’s disappearance whatsoever.’


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338421/WikiLeaks-British-police-developed-evidence-Kate-Gerry-McCann.html#ixzz18AxurbUq

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Cheshire Cat on 15.12.10 11:00

candyfloss wrote:Todays article in Daily Mail = updated

British police ‘developed evidence’ against McCanns, WikiLeaks cable claims

By Vanessa Allen
Last updated at 12:00 AM on 15th December 2010

The role British police played in the Madeleine McCann investigation is under scrutiny after leaked documents claimed they ‘developed’ evidence against her parents.
Britain’s ambassador to Portugal told his U.S. counterpart that British detectives ‘had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents’, according to a diplomatic cable revealed by the WikiLeaks website.
The previously secret meeting took place on September 21, 2007 – two weeks after Portuguese police named Kate and Gerry McCann as ‘arguidos’, or formal suspects, in their daughter’s disappearance.
Tough times: Kate and Gerry McCann were subject to a Portuguese police investigation, allegedly aided by evidence 'developed' by their British counterparts
The leaked cable has raised fresh questions about the extent of British police involvement in the Portuguese investigation.
Mr and Mrs McCann, both 42, have won a series of libel payouts from newspapers over suggestions they were involved in their daughter’s disappearance.
But the leaked cable suggests British police were actively involved in helping to build a case against them.


The couple believe the decision to name them as arguidos jeopardised the hunt for their daughter, because it may have stopped potential witnesses from coming forward with information.
And it forced them to endure an agonising ten-month wait until Portuguese police admitted they had found no evidence against them, and shelved the case.
British police have always insisted they were responsible only for co-ordinating inquiries in Britain at the request of the Portuguese authorities.
But that account has been called into question by the leaked diplomatic cables, and by allegations by senior Portuguese detectives involved in the hunt.
In the diplomatic cable to Washington, marked ‘confidential’, U.S. ambassador Al Hoffman discussed a meeting with his British counterpart, Alexander Wykeham Ellis.
Missing: Madeleine McCann disappeared while on holiday in Portugal
He wrote: ‘Madeleine McCann’s disappearance in the south of Portugal in May 2007 has generated international media attention with controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the actions of Madeleine’s parents.

Without delving into the details of the case, Ellis admitted that the British police had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents, and he stressed that authorities from both countries were working co-operatively.
‘He commented that the media frenzy was to be expected and was acceptable as long as government officials keep their comments behind closed doors.’
The cable did not reveal what evidence had been ‘developed’ by police in Britain, but Portuguese detectives have previously made a series of startling claims about their involvement during a civil court case in Lisbon.

Lawyers for Goncalo Amaral, the former head of the Portuguese investigation, revealed that a confidential report by a British expert had suggested Mr McCann should be investigated for ‘homicide’.
Criminal profiler Lee Rainbow, of the National Policing Improvement Agency, sent the report in June 2007, just a month after three-year-old Madeleine vanished from her family’s rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.
He wrote: ‘The family is a lead that should be followed.
‘The contradictions in Gerald McCann’s statement might lead us to suspect a homicide. This is a lead that should be investigated.’
Mr Amaral’s lawyer told the court: ‘Portuguese police had only considered the abduction theory. It was British police who said they must consider homicide as well.’
The McCanns took legal action against Mr Amaral in an effort to stop the sale of his book, The Truth of the Lie, in which he claimed they covered up their daughter’s death.
His former deputy, Tavares Almeida, gave evidence on his behalf, and said British and Portuguese police had both concluded Madeleine was dead.
He told the court: ‘We all believe she is dead. It was our conclusion as police professionals, both Portuguese and British police. The McCanns didn’t kill her but they concealed her body.’


The couple’s spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, said: ‘The cable is a historic note that is more than three years old.
‘Subsequently, Kate and Gerry had their arguido status lifted, with the Portuguese authorities making it perfectly clear that there was absolutely no evidence to implicate them in Madeleine’s disappearance whatsoever.’


Read more: [url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338421/WikiLeaks-British-police-developed-evidence-Kate-Gerry-McCann.html#ixzz18AxurbUq
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338421/WikiLeaks-British-police-developed-evidence-Kate-Gerry-McCann.html#ixzz18AxurbUq[/quote[/url]]

Thank you for posting. This is a very significant article in my opinion.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Posts : 660
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2010-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by Autumn on 15.12.10 11:59

Thanks Candyfloss, very interesting that the article mentions Lee Rainbow's report thumbsup

Lawyers for Goncalo Amaral, the former head of the Portuguese investigation, revealed that a confidential report by a British expert had suggested Mr McCann should be investigated for ‘homicide’.
Criminal profiler Lee Rainbow, of the National Policing Improvement Agency, sent the report in June 2007, just a month after three-year-old Madeleine vanished from her family’s rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.
He wrote: ‘The family is a lead that should be followed.
‘The contradictions in Gerald McCann’s statement might lead us to suspect a homicide. This is a lead that should be investigated.’

What with the departure of Jim Gamble, the lifting of the ban on Amaral's book and now Wikileaks, the McCanns are starting to look very exposed - I think the media are starting to circle their prey.

Autumn

Posts : 2603
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2009-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: British police 'developed evidence' against McCanns - Wikileaks

Post by aiyoyo on 15.12.10 12:08

Is that only online version or was it in hard copy as well?

Hard copy impacts better.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum