The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Discussion on BBC Programme re MF - Inside Out 7.30 pm 22/11/10

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Discussion on BBC Programme re MF - Inside Out 7.30 pm 22/11/10

Post by Guest on 23.11.10 11:22

Thoroughly disgusted at the programme. I was particularly angry at the way they tried to make the person look like an idiot hiding behind the lampost. There was no need to have had that in the film. What purpose did it serve. Simon Hare was well aware that the people wanted to remain annonymous, so putting that in the film was despicable imo. He should know, and wa probably told, the reason people didn't want to be identified is because of the repercussions they would get from certain quarters, and we know what they are.

What happened to the mention of the book ban being overturned, which he promised, and also interviewing DB, when he specifically said in his correspondnce he wouldn't.

An all time low in BBC journalism imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.11.10 11:33

Me too. I am disgusted by them.

They way it came across was as though only 19 people disbelieved mccanns.
I agree there wasnt any need to include the shy leafleter.
Also I dont understand why they mentioned MF u-turn on their undertaking.
What was SH's point, why does he need to give viewers that impression without the full story behind it.

I thought the whole idea was to show MF noble work - justice for Madeleine.
Instead they were protrayed as a group of people going about their campaign without basis other than not believing the mccanns abduction theory thus adding to their auguish. SH never once mentioned the reasons why they were skeptical about the mccanns.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kathyBelle on 23.11.10 11:35

Could John Corner, the McCann's friend, who is a prominent figure in the media, have had some input in how the programme was presented?

In my opinion, it looks like the media are still frightened of saying or printing anything, that puts the McCanns in a bad light. The media are still saying that Goncalo Amaral is a disgraced detective and they are reluctant to acknowledge that the ban on the book was overturned.

In my opinion the programme was nothing but a smear campaign against the Madeleine Foundation and the McCanns are still being portrayed, as the innocent victims in this case.

kathyBelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.11.10 12:09

[quote from the prog last night - Simon Hare speaking]

There were 19 people at the meeting and I was told that they’d come from all over the country and that one couple had even come from Northern France. Er, they didn’t want camera’s to come in, but they did allow me to sit there and take notes, they discussed many aspects of the McCann case and they also sold me a copy of their new book (“The Madeleine McCann Case Files – Volume 1”)

But at the moment I still don’t feel I’m any nearer to understanding exactly what the Madeleine Foundation is about.

Err, he sat in on a meeting, heard the discussions (they discussed many aspects of the McCann case) and doesn't understand what the MF is about. Is he thick. What a stupid thing to say.

Back to top Go down

More thoughts..

Post by Cheshire Cat on 23.11.10 12:27

@aiyoyo wrote:Me too. I am disgusted by them.

They way it came across was as though only 19 people disbelieved mccanns.
I agree there wasnt any need to include the shy leafleter.
Also I dont understand why they mentioned MF u-turn on their undertaking.
What was SH's point, why does he need to give viewers that impression without the full story behind it.

I thought the whole idea was to show MF noble work - justice for Madeleine.
Instead they were protrayed as a group of people going about their campaign without basis other than not believing the mccanns abduction theory thus adding to their auguish. SH never once mentioned the reasons why they were skeptical about the mccanns.

My expectations for the programme were very low, in the sense that I did not expect anything other than the McCann's to be shown as victims and the MF to be portrayed exactly as you describe.

From low expectations I was cheered by the fact that we saw Tony prepared to stand in the street and discuss the issue with strangers. Tony was prepared to answer questions an be as open and frank as he could be.

I also liked seeing Grenville and his referance to David and Goliath.

At least the programme did not call GA "disgraced"; however to call him "discredited" is wrong and out of date and mean.

The team at East Midlands won an industry award for their coverage of the McCann story and they are not about to change tune. The reporters / presenters who have worked for GMTV seem the most pro-McCann and there are ex-GMTV staff in East Midlands, such as Anne Davies. Even GMTV's John Stapleton referred to GA as "disgraced" on one occasion (a while back).

Another point I would like to make is that the McCann sceptics are not soley represented by the MF! Yes, the MF distribute leaflets but there are dozens of blogs, websites, forums, individuals all refusing to believe the McCann fairy story. In Portugal GA is able to speak and Joanna Morais is doing some sterling work.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by soulthief on 23.11.10 13:16

Thanks Tony or the answer to the creator of the foundation for the record its the first time I have heard who how why. Anyway according to muratfan who we all know is a dopey tw*t the BBC allowed the programme to stitch Tony Bennett up for Carter Ruck.Any views on this anyone? I do think there was an ulterior motive for the filming of the foundation, whether its the one Murat claims I'm not sure

soulthief

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/xS0ulThiefx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.11.10 13:51

The program came as no surprise to me I'm afraid.

What I would like to know is why so many youngsters feel the way they do, as seen in that footage. I remember back in 2007 having a conversation with a young girl just out of school who reacted the same way and I could not understand why. All she kept saying was "Kate is not an actress, she is a Doctor and you can tell that she is not making it up". Or words to that effect. I could not stop laughing at the time and decided not to get to heavy with her on the subject, seeing as she was the daughter of my boss. big grin Stupid girl really, a lot like her Father I'm afraid. laughat

Back to top Go down

The BBC and Carter-Ruck

Post by Tony Bennett on 23.11.10 14:07

@soulthief wrote:Anyway according to muratfan who we all know is a dopey tw*t the BBC allowed the programme to stitch Tony Bennett up for Carter Ruck. Any views on this anyone? I do think there was an ulterior motive for the filming of the Foundation, whether its the one muratfan claims I'm not sure
Hmmm, 'according to muratfan'...

...I had a good laugh at that.

I don't think the programme was done in conjunction with Carter-Ruck in any way.

However, the following timing is interesting:

Friday 5 February 2010 - Letter from Carter-Ruck breathing fire about the alleged sale of '60 Reasons', the Barbara Nottage article on our website, and a few other things.

Monday 8 February 2010 - My reply, which included this:

So far as the sixth paragraph of your letter is concerned, again I am surprised that only now do your clients raise any objections to the article by Barbara Nottage, as once again this article has been on our website for three months.

I have considered very carefully your clients’ objections to this article and their request that we remove the entire article on the grounds that it is ‘highly defamatory’. It is a matter that The Madeleine Foundation Committee will urgently consider.

However, I need first to make three key points about the article.

Firstly, the facts in it have been meticulously checked and we note that in your letter you do not raise any issue as to the factual basis for it.

Secondly, the article is based entirely on statements made either by your clients themselves or by their friends who were on holiday with them, such as Jane Tanner and Dr Matthew Oldfield. It is your client Dr. Gerald McCann who states that he was in Apartment 5A until around 9.10pm on 3 May 2009 and Jane Tanner who says that it was at 9.15pm that she saw a swarthy-looking man in a dark jacket and light trousers walking ‘purposefully away’ from the direction of Apartment 5A, an observation moreover confirmed by Dr Russell O’Brien’s handwritten notes about the timeline of that evening which he wrote down on the cover of Madeleine’s Activity Sticker Book - which had been torn off for the express purpose of writing down this timeline (and an amended one written later the same evening).

Thirdly, the final paragraph of Barbara Nottage’s article explicitly states the following: “I conclude by saying that I am not saying the abduction of Madeleine never happened. But I confess I do find it very difficult to understand, given all that has been said about it, how it could have happened”.

For all these reasons I take the view that no court is likely to find that article libellous of your clients. In the meantime, and pending our urgent re-consideration of whether we should remove this article, please inform us if there is any factual error in that article and we shall no doubt be willing to correct any facts that we have got wrong.

Friday 12 February 2010 - Invitation from Simon Hare to make a programme about The Madeleine Foundation.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.11.10 14:33

candyfloss wrote:[quote from the prog last night - Simon Hare speaking]

There were 19 people at the meeting and I was told that they’d come from all over the country and that one couple had even come from Northern France. Er, they didn’t want camera’s to come in, but they did allow me to sit there and take notes, they discussed many aspects of the McCann case and they also sold me a copy of their new book (“The Madeleine McCann Case Files – Volume 1”)

But at the moment I still don’t feel I’m any nearer to understanding exactly what the Madeleine Foundation is about.

Err, he sat in on a meeting, heard the discussions (they discussed many aspects of the McCann case) and doesn't understand what the MF is about. Is he thick. What a stupid thing to say.

HIs motive was to obsfucate matter for MF. If he didnt understand why doesnt he get himself enlightened instead of making a programme he spent months initiating and instigating people to participate then came up with he didnt knowwhat MF is about - they why bloody air the programme? Isnt it Inside Out job to get to the bottom before broadcasting. He was supposed to impart info fair and justly not opined his view.

He went there with an agenda and TB fell for it hook line and sinker. Sorry TB, that's how I feel.
TB is perhaps too trusting. DB was right they were there for the mccanns. Despite knowing that she didnt do the MF any favour by fabricating lies. In fact she'd forgotten the program was about truth for Maddie, and not about her fall out with MF. she had prioritised her vendetta over Maddie and used regional tv to get even. I am totally appalled at Simon Hare for stitching up MF knowing full well (since he was informed by TB) that DB was ex chairman, persona non grata (sp) and had nothing to do with MF anymore.

A fair airing would be if DB was talking about co-founding MF or role of MF, not when she bad mouth ex fellow members. Simon Hare was stringing TB all along over that with lies lies lies in every of his letter mentioning DB.

Kudo to TB as he came across cool, calm, fearless and very focused, and people know there an organisation that 's thorn to the mccanns. MF was brave to go along with the programme not knowing whether they were getting the usual pasting and their hands were tied somewhat because control didnt rest with them. Hey they havent got CM as media controller. That would make a hell of a difference!
There's pro and con in participation depending on people views on the abduction thesis.

What the program wasnt was it was not an educational one telling people that the alternate version of PJ was unfinished business with the impasse that led to shelving was b/c mccanns and friends refused to cooperate.

Hey...dont be disheartened ..our views are not reflective of what the public feel so let's wait and see what's the impact received by MF.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by soulthief on 23.11.10 14:55

Friday 5 February 2010 - Letter from Carter-Ruck breathing fire about the alleged sale of '60 Reasons', the Barbara Nottage article on our website, and a few other things.

Monday 8 February 2010 - My reply, which included this:

So far as the sixth paragraph of your letter is concerned, again I am surprised that only now do your clients raise any objections to the article by Barbara Nottage, as once again this article has been on our website for three months.

I have considered very carefully your clients’ objections to this article and their request that we remove the entire article on the grounds that it is ‘highly defamatory’. It is a matter that The Madeleine Foundation Committee will urgently consider.

However, I need first to make three key points about the article.

Firstly, the facts in it have been meticulously checked and we note that in your letter you do not raise any issue as to the factual basis for it.

Secondly, the article is based entirely on statements made either by your clients themselves or by their friends who were on holiday with them, such as Jane Tanner and Dr Matthew Oldfield. It is your client Dr. Gerald McCann who states that he was in Apartment 5A until around 9.10pm on 3 May 2009 and Jane Tanner who says that it was at 9.15pm that she saw a swarthy-looking man in a dark jacket and light trousers walking ‘purposefully away’ from the direction of Apartment 5A, an observation moreover confirmed by Dr Russell O’Brien’s handwritten notes about the timeline of that evening which he wrote down on the cover of Madeleine’s Activity Sticker Book - which had been torn off for the express purpose of writing down this timeline (and an amended one written later the same evening).

Thirdly, the final paragraph of Barbara Nottage’s article explicitly states the following: “I conclude by saying that I am not saying the abduction of Madeleine never happened. But I confess I do find it very difficult to understand, given all that has been said about it, how it could have happened”.

For all these reasons I take the view that no court is likely to find that article libellous of your clients. In the meantime, and pending our urgent re-consideration of whether we should remove this article, please inform us if there is any factual error in that article and we shall no doubt be willing to correct any facts that we have got wrong.

Friday 12 February 2010 - Invitation from Simon Hare to make a programme about The Madeleine Foundation.[/quote]

Im sorry Tony but I think you are being naive, the timing is suspicious as you say, and even if its not for carter Ruck the programme was made it was certainly to discredit the foundation. Who would benefit from this? And isn't it funny that the programme left in Amaral saying F*ck the McCanns? Isn't it funny it brought up your other campaigns which in my view was done to make you look like a bandwagon hopper> Initially I thought it could have been a lot worse but now I think had I not have heard of the foundation I may have seen it differently, also the threats to Debbie, what was the relevance? I think they tried to make it look like it came possibly form the foundation, if you didnt know the foundation you would take all that was said at face value.. Just my opinion.

soulthief

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.11.10 14:59

Oh come on, I dont think the programme was an entrapment of MF for CR.

It was just BBC usual load of shites ..sycophantic and self serving..that's all.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good work

Post by Cheshire Cat on 23.11.10 15:23

Tony is a savvy guy.

The options were:

1. No TV publicity whatsoever for the MF

2. Publicity but with the risk that the BBC would use the program to 'smear' the MF and its members

Given that the BBC East Midlands have supported the McCann's in the past, the risk that the BBC would attempt to discredit the MF was high.

The risk was accepted by the MF and I truly believe that it was the right decision. I think that the advantages of having worked with Simon Hare outweigh the disadvantages and considering the flak Tony gets on some forums the criticisms were not stinging.

Good work.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.11.10 15:29

So you think negative publicity is better than no publicity?

Effectively it means taking one step forward and two steps back, and that is good?

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang on 23.11.10 15:33

@aiyoyo wrote:Oh come on, I dont think the programme was an entrapment of MF for CR.

It was just BBC usual load of shites ..sycophantic and self serving..that's all.

I'm not so sure about that aiyoyo. Whilst I do not think that this was the overall intention of Hare or the BBC they certainly made sure they presented a few offerings to CR.

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.

kangdang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheshire Cat on 23.11.10 15:44

@aiyoyo wrote:So you think negative publicity is better than no publicity?

Effectively it means taking one step forward and two steps back, and that is good?

I think there was enough good stuff in there to have made the venture worthwhile.

And I do agree that there are issues to take up with Hare and the Beeb.

Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 23.11.10 15:55

Well all I can say is I expected as much so I was not surprised. I thought it odd that Tony Bennett's past disputes were mentioned. What past disputes of the Mccanns have been offered?

I thought the filming of the lady behind a lamp post odd - normally before filming - participants are allowed to decide about whether they want to be filmed. Apparently this is a requirement for selected people only.

I disliked intensely that Goncala Amaral was likened to a modern day Robin Hood. Goncalo Amaral is not an outlaw or a thief nor does he rob rich people it seems to me it's the other way round.

I always thought this would be biased towards the McCanns - who would expect anything else.

Angelique

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 23.11.10 15:57

@Cheshire Cat wrote:Tony is a savvy guy.

The options were:

1. No TV publicity whatsoever for the MF

2. Publicity but with the risk that the BBC would use the program to 'smear' the MF and its members

Given that the BBC East Midlands have supported the McCann's in the past, the risk that the BBC would attempt to discredit the MF was high.

The risk was accepted by the MF and I truly believe that it was the right decision. I think that the advantages of having worked with Simon Hare outweigh the disadvantages and considering the flak Tony gets on some forums the criticisms were not stinging.

Good work.

I agree with you Cheshire Cat.

The Madeleine Foundation would not exist today if they didn't have the absolute courage of their convictions. That includes braving the wrath of Carter Ruck and being at the mercy of UK journalists..... if The Madeleine Foundation worried about every nasty comment made, they would not be able to function. The road ahead is paved with treachery and uncertainty. Hence I totally agree..... good work, and a very brave stand!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.11.10 16:02

@aiyoyo wrote:So you think negative publicity is better than no publicity?

No it is not good aiyoyo, but they could have made the programme anyway, if Tony had refused to participate, or they had not asked him, so at least Tony managed to get some airtime. Having said that what road signs, and the Lubbock case have to do with Madeleine and the Madeleine Foundation is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 23.11.10 16:09

@Angelique wrote:Well all I can say is I expected as much so I was not surprised. I thought it odd that Tony Bennett's past disputes were mentioned. What past disputes of the Mccanns have been offered?

I thought the filming of the lady behind a lamp post odd - normally before filming - participants are allowed to decide about whether they want to be filmed. Apparently this is a requirement for selected people only.

I disliked intensely that Goncala Amaral was likened to a modern day Robin Hood. Goncalo Amaral is not an outlaw or a thief nor does he rob rich people it seems to me it's the other way round.

I always thought this would be biased towards the McCanns - who would expect anything else.

Angelique

Alas the writing was on the wall as you say Angelique. Though it would have been wonderful to be pleasantly surprised by Mr Hare.... sadly our UK journalists are a lost cause it seems.

Though hats off to Channel 4 and their recent interview of the McCanns...... certainly a major step in the right direction.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chlllax

Post by soulthief on 23.11.10 16:10

Although I say I think Tony was naive where the programme was concerned I have great respect for Tony & what he is doing, I just think bringing up metric signs and Barrymore could make Tony look like he just likes to go on crusades..REMEMBER, we know the foundation and what it stands for, the people watching possibly do not, I also think showing Tony behind the McCanns could make Tony look spooky coupled with the quote of watching them, Bringing Butler in to it was pointless, even more so her claiming to be threatened. I Say that this is a pre-emptive strike on behalf of the McCanns. Oh yea and the woman behind the lamp post made it look as if she is ashamed of what she was doing.

soulthief

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 23.11.10 16:11

If I remember correctly, when they showed TB and the road signs, it did mention that he had got a lot of support. I did think the showing of Michael Barrymore straight after TB saying he had no history of pursuing individuals was very sly editing. There are many people who dont like Michael Barrymore, that is why his career is all but over, showing him was good but the way it was cut was childish.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by espeland on 23.11.10 16:24

@littlepixie wrote:If I remember correctly, when they showed TB and the road signs, it did mention that he had got a lot of support. I did think the showing of Michael Barrymore straight after TB saying he had no history of pursuing individuals was very sly editing. There are many people who dont like Michael Barrymore, that is why his career is all but over, showing him was good but the way it was cut was childish.

Sly editing? What was sly, was TB telling an untruth? Much as I admire Tony's work re Madeleine, he let himself in for this.

espeland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by soulthief on 23.11.10 16:26

@espeland wrote:
@littlepixie wrote:If I remember correctly, when they showed TB and the road signs, it did mention that he had got a lot of support. I did think the showing of Michael Barrymore straight after TB saying he had no history of pursuing individuals was very sly editing. There are many people who dont like Michael Barrymore, that is why his career is all but over, showing him was good but the way it was cut was childish.

Sly editing? What was sly, was TB telling an untruth? Much as I admire Tony's work re Madeleine, he let himself in for this.
Bit harsh because although he did indeed open himself up for it his intentions were good and honourable, he has nothing to be ashamed of -but Hare and the others who clearly support the McCanns have plenty to be ashamed of.

soulthief

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 23.11.10 16:33

@espeland wrote:

As far as I am aware TB wasnt after an individual in the Lubbock case, there were others involved.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by espeland on 23.11.10 16:38

@soulthief wrote:
@espeland wrote:

Bit harsh because although he did indeed open himself up for it his intentions were good and honourable, he has nothing to be ashamed of -but Hare and the others who clearly support the McCanns have plenty to be ashamed of.

I know his intentions were good and honourable, but he should have been aware of the danger of editing. I doubt if an additional comment from him that he was instrumental in the success of the Lubbock matter would have been edited out - and Tony certainly deserves credit for that.

I don't remember whether I said this here or on another forum, but the program was about the MF and not the McCanns, so I'm not surprised that it appears - to the people here - to be one-sided.

espeland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum