The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Death Toll Rises After Indonesia Tsunami

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:34 am

5:29pm UK, Tuesday October 26, 2010

Alison Chung, Sky News Online
More than 100 people have died and hundreds more are missing after a 10ft-high tsunami hit the west coast of Indonesia.

The wave has washed away hundreds of houses in 10 coastal villages on the Mentawai islands, off the island of Sumatra.
A local official said 113 people had died and more than 500 were missing.
One of the hardest hit villages is Betu Monga where most of the houses and buildings have been destroyed.
An official in Betu Monga said: "Of the 200 people living in that village, only 40 have been found. A hundred and sixty are still missing, mostly women and children.
"We have people reporting to the security post here that they could not hold on to their children, that they were swept away. A lot of people are crying."

The tsunami hit the remote Mentawai islands off western Indonesia

The wall of water was triggered by a 7.7 magnitude undersea earthquake that struck the area last night.
The fault which ruptured also caused the quake that triggered the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004, killing 230,000 people in a dozen countries.
The Mentawai islands are sparsely populated but are a popular surfing spot.
Nine Australians and a Japanese national on a surfing charter boat are among those unaccounted for.
Humanitarian organisation SurfAid said there were "genuine fears" for those on board the Southern Cross vessel as it was close to the quake epicentre.
A separate group of Australians on a chartered boat were anchored in a bay when the tsunami hit.

Fortunately, most of us had something to hold on to... and we just washed in the wetlands, and scrambled up the highest trees that we could possibly find and sat up there for an hour and a half.
Rick Hallet speaking to Australia's Nine Network

It caused their vessel to smash into a neighbouring boat, and a fire broke out, ripping through their cabin.
"We threw whatever we could that floated - surfboards, fenders - then we jumped into the water," Rick Hallet told Australia's Nine Network.
"Fortunately, most of us had something to hold on to ... and we just washed in the wetlands, and scrambled up the highest trees that we could possibly find and sat up there for an hour and a half."
Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to quakes and volcanic activity due to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire.
The city of Padang was badly shaken last year by a 7.6-magnitude quake that killed at least 700 people.
:: The tsunami came as Indonesia's most volatile volcano, Mount Merapi, started to erupt causing the evacuation of thousands of residents.

Back to top Go down

Re: Death Toll Rises After Indonesia Tsunami

Post by aiyoyo on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 am

Deja vu of 2004. Frightening.

My Swedish friend is currently in Bali. I'd helped booked her accommodation.
When the tsunami news was flashed I was worried but found to my relief it wasnt Bali.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 am

Good grief, this is the first I have heard of this (I haven't watched tv or listened to the radio in days), how terribly sad.

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.

kangdang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 am

@kangdang wrote:Good grief, this is the first I have heard of this (I haven't watched tv or listened to the radio in days), how terribly sad.

kangdang very bad news, plus this as well today

To 19 People Killed As Volcano Erupts

11:35pm UK, Tuesday October 26, 2010

Alex Watts and Carole Erskine, Sky News Online
Up to 19 people have been killed after Indonesia's most volatile volcano began spewing hot ash.

Scientists have warned that pressure building beneath Mount Merapi's lava dome could trigger one of the most powerful blasts in years.
"There was a thunderous rumble that went on for ages, maybe 15 minutes," said a local farmer.
"Then huge plumes of hot ash started shooting up into the air."
TV pictures showed police and volunteers carrying ash-covered corpses to waiting vehicles. A two-month-old baby was among the dead.

Mount Merapi erupted three times on Tuesday

Government officials told the 11,400 villagers living on the 2,968-metre high mountain to evacuate the area.
Most fled immediately, but some stayed to look after their farms, crops, and livestock.
Merapi - which translates as Mountain of Fire - is on the main island of Java, about 300 miles south-east of the capital Jakarta.

Streets in Kaliurang village are covered in ash

The islands are prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity because they lie on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire - a series of fault lines stretching from the Western Hemisphere through Asia.
In 2006, an avalanche of gases and rock tumbled down Merapi and killed two people.
A similar eruption in 1994 killed 60 people, and 1,300 people died in a much bigger blast 80 years ago.
Indonesian officials are also trying to assess the impact of a 7.7-magnitude earthquake late Monday that caused a tsunami off western Indonesia

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:54 am

Shakes head...make you think eh!

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.

kangdang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum