The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

They're heatballs, not lightbulbs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

They're heatballs, not lightbulbs

Post by Tony Bennett on 15.10.10 23:37

German "heatball" wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban

A German entrepreneur is bypassing a European Union ban on light bulbs of more than 60 watts by marketing his own brand as mini heaters.

Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs - by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and selling them as "heatballs."

To improve energy efficiency, the EU has banned the sale of bulbs of over 60 watts -- to the annoyance of the mechanical engineer from the western city of Essen.

Rotthaeuser studied EU legislation and realised that because the inefficient old bulbs produce more warmth than light - he calculated heat makes up 95 percent of their output, and light just 5 percent -- they could be sold legally as heaters.

On their website, the two engineers describe the heatballs as "action art" and as "resistance against legislation which is implemented without recourse to democratic and parliamentary processes."

Costing 1.69 euros each (1.49 pounds), the heatballs are going down well -- the first batch of 4,000 sold out in three days.

Rotthaeuser has pledged to donate 30 cents of every heatball sold to saving the rainforest, which the 49-year-old sees as a better way of protecting the environment than investing in energy-saving lamps, which contain toxic mercury.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: They're heatballs, not lightbulbs

Post by littlepixie on 16.10.10 0:16

Tin hat on - I am ashamed to say I have disposed of my energy saving lamps. What will happen when I come to sell my house I dont know. I will have to get them out of the cupboard and put them back in or it will be reported on the survey.
I found they hesitate for a second when you switch them on and then you feel like you are sitting in candle-light. I cannot read with them or see the buttons on the TV remote. I am at Specsavers twice a year for stronger glasses. I live in a cottage with very low ceilings which tends to be dark at the best of times and they depressed me. My Lekky bill went up substantially when I was using them. I would rather take my chances with solar power if it didnt cost thousands of pounds and the companies who sell the panels didnt rip you off. Plus I look out my bedroom window and I see a vista of windmills in the sea, the docks full of turbines - yet still the Lekky bill goes up.
I had no idea 100watt bulbs were banned until someone told me the other day.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 16.10.10 0:30

@littlepixie wrote:Tin hat on - I am ashamed to say I have disposed of my energy saving lamps. What will happen when I come to sell my house I dont know. I will have to get them out of the cupboard and put them back in or it will be reported on the survey.
I found they hesitate for a second when you switch them on and then you feel like you are sitting in candle-light. I cannot read with them or see the buttons on the TV remote. I am at Specsavers twice a year for stronger glasses. I live in a cottage with very low ceilings which tends to be dark at the best of times and they depressed me. My Lekky bill went up substantially when I was using them. I would rather take my chances with solar power if it didnt cost thousands of pounds and the companies who sell the panels didnt rip you off. Plus I look out my bedroom window and I see a vista of windmills in the sea, the docks full of turbines - yet still the Lekky bill goes up.
I had no idea 100watt bulbs were banned until someone told me the other day.
Well at least there's a glimmer of light, Home Improvement Packs were abolished by the Coalition Government:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jun/15/hips-abolition-boosts-housing-market

But think yourself lucky. Electricity was only invented 130 years ago. Even Queen Victoria had to do without it most of her life.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 16.10.10 0:42

Bring back the old gas lamps that we had in our caravan I say (have we still got gas) - at least you knew where you stood with them.

Until your Dad put a match through one!

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 16.10.10 2:57

How dare we be controlled as to which lightbulbs to use whilst companies are building monstrous modern ships such as Oasis of the Seas and enormous airbuses.

One had the foresight to purchase a stock of bright bulbs before they were cruelly taken away from us. How long will it be before it becomes an offence against the State to be found in possession of a100 watt light-bulb?

Here is a piece about Oasis of the Seas from Wikipaedia.

The ship's power comes from six marine diesel engines, three Wärtsilä 16-cylinder common rail diesels producing 18,860 kilowatts (25,290 hp) each (consuming 1,377 gallons of fuel per hour of operation per engine), and three similar 12-cylinder engines each producing 13,860 kilowatts (18,590 hp), (consuming 1,033 gallons of fuel per hour of operation per engine).[8][27] The total output of these prime movers, some 97,020 kilowatts (130,110 hp), is converted to electricity, used in hotel power for operation of the lights, elevators, electronics, galleys, water treatment plant, and all of the other systems used on the operation of the vessel, as well as propulsion. Propulsion is not provided by screws on the end of long shafts piercing the hull, as on most prior ships, but by three, 20,000 kilowatts (26,800 hp) "Azipods", ABB's brand of azimuth thrusters. These pods, suspended under the stern, contain electric motors driving 20-foot (6 m) propellers.[8] Because they are rotatable, no rudders are needed to steer the ship. Docking is assisted by four 5,500 kilowatts (7,380 hp) bow thrusters in tunnels.[

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.10.10 8:13

Absolutely ridiculous banning these bulbs. I agree with littlepixie, the new energy saving ones are rubbish. It makes me made when places like Las Vegas probably use more electricity per night than this country uses in a whole year.

Err and what about Blackpool Iluminations, are they using energy saving bulbs?

Back to top Go down

Post by ufercoffy on 16.10.10 9:01

I must be the only one who prefers energy saving bulbs. I live in an old house and the old style bulbs were always blowing, literally every week. But since I've changed to the energy saving bulbs it is no longer a problem...which is fine by me...plus my electricity bill is much lower. In fact, during the first year I had an electricity board inspecter come to my house to check my meter to see if it was working properly

ufercoffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by baconbutty on 16.10.10 13:55

You're not the only one!
We've been using them since way back and we're very happy with them. thumbsup

baconbutty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: