The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.


Jill Havern
Forum owner

Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Guest on 11.10.10 11:00

11 October 2010 Last updated at 10:36

Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Azaria's parents were cleared over her death in 1988 Australia is launching a new inquiry into the 1980 death of baby Azaria Chamberlain, whose parents always said she was killed by a dingo.

Lindy and Michael Chamberlain were convicted over the 10-week old baby's death in 1982 but later cleared after evidence indicated a dingo attack.

A third inquest, held in 1995, recorded an open verdict, but the parents say that has left room for doubt.

Mr Chamberlain said he had been told an inquest could take place in early 2011.

Both he and his now former wife, Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton, had been asked to submit new evidence to the Northern Territories registrar of births, deaths and marriages, he said.

Mr Chamberlain told ABC News there would always be people who "out of prejudice and lack of knowledge or lack of facts" would blame him and his former wife.

He said the open verdict in 1995 had "sullied the waters" and "made us look like we might have been potentially guilty again".

"It's justice for Azaria. Her spirit does not rest because the truth was never told about how she actually died," he said.

Mr Chamberlain said his lawyers were now gathering evidence about other dingo attacks, including the killing of a nine-year-old child by two dingoes in 2001.

"They confuse human prey with animal prey and look upon them as fair game no matter what they are, a kangaroo, a calf, a lamb, a wallaby or a baby," he said.

Any inquest should also investigate the original police investigation, said Mr Chamberlain, following long-standing accusations from both parents that the forensics teams lost or mishandled evidence.

Chance discovery

Azaria's father cites new evidence of dingo attacks on humans Virtually ever since Azaria disappeared from a campsite near Uluru (Ayers Rock) in 1980, Australia has been engrossed by the question of whether she was taken by a dingo, says the BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney.

Two years after her death, Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton was found guilty of her baby's murder and sentenced to life imprisonment, while Mr Chamberlain was found guilty of being an accessory.

Both were later exonerated on all charges, after the chance discovery of a fragment of Azaria's clothing in an area dotted with dingo lairs.

In August this year, Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton issued an emotional open letter calling for the dingo attack to be officially acknowledged.

Three coronial inquests, two appeals and a Royal Commission have so far failed to conclusively find the cause of Azaria's death.

But while her parents have been exonerated by law, they remain the victims of innuendo and gossip, says our correspondent, and as long as the cause of death officially remains unknown, the rumours will continue.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11511581


This has always been an interesting case. The Chamberlains were convicted and then cleared later. I'm still on the fence with this one.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by ufercoffy on 11.10.10 16:18

candyfloss wrote:This has always been an interesting case. The Chamberlains were convicted and then cleared later. I'm still on the fence with this one.


There's some interesting things in there.

Mr Chamberlain: "It's justice for Azaria. Her spirit does not rest because the truth was never told about how she actually died," (are you reading this Kate and Gerry?)

But while her parents have been exonerated by law, they remain the victims of innuendo and gossip, says our correspondent, and as long as the cause of death officially remains unknown, the rumours will continue. (are you reading this bit, too, McCanns? These strange cases NEVER go away)

ufercoffy

Posts : 1641
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2010-01-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by littlepixie on 11.10.10 22:46

I have experience of foxes and dogs. I have seen them hunt in packs and on their own. I have never seen them carry away a live animal and kill it afterwards.

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Rainbow on 12.10.10 22:32

So what do you think happened to the baby?

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Tony Bennett on 12.10.10 22:41

@Rainbow wrote:So what do you think happened to the baby?
Died in the parents' 'care' due to accident, neglect, negligence or deliberate act of some kind.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 14100
Reputation : 2231
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Judge Mental on 13.10.10 1:36

@Rainbow wrote:So what do you think happened to the baby?

@ Rainbow

What do you think happened to the baby, Rainbow? Where do you think the baby ended up?

Judge Mental

Posts : 2764
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-17
Age : 80
Location : Chambers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Rainbow on 13.10.10 23:17

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Rainbow wrote:So what do you think happened to the baby?
Died in the parents' 'care' due to accident, neglect, negligence or deliberate act of some kind.


Have to disagree on that one,there were witnesses to the baby being alive at the campsite and the same witnesses were present a short time later when the alarm went up.I dont think there was opportunity for parental involvement.

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Tony Bennett on 14.10.10 7:45

@Rainbow wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Rainbow wrote:So what do you think happened to the baby?
Died in the parents' 'care' due to accident, neglect, negligence or deliberate act of some kind.
Have to disagree on that one,there were witnesses to the baby being alive at the campsite and the same witnesses were present a short time later when the alarm went up.I dont think there was opportunity for parental involvement.
O.K., Rainbow, I note what you say, but from your knowledge of the case, can you please say (1) precisely where the baby was when (allegedly) taken away in its mouth by a dingo, (2) who was actually looking after that baby at the time, and (3) tell me how many of the witnesses you mention actually saw the dingo? If you can help with those answers, please, we might get nearer to the truth...

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 14100
Reputation : 2231
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Rainbow on 14.10.10 8:30

The baby was in her bassinette in the tent with her brothers.
Noone,the tent was feet away from the cooking area.
None

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Judge Mental on 14.10.10 18:48

@Rainbow wrote:The baby was in her bassinette in the tent with her brothers.
Noone,the tent was feet away from the cooking area.
None

@ Rainbow

It appears that you are a font of much knowledge when discussing parents whose child has perhaps met a sticky end, and especially in those cases where parents may have been suspected of neglect and abuse,

Your recollection of events is such that one could believe that you were actually there. Why are you so sure that the child was in her basinette or with her brothers, if there is no video of this?

Judge Mental

Posts : 2764
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-17
Age : 80
Location : Chambers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Rainbow on 17.10.10 22:39

She was seen to go in the tent with the baby and come out without it.

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Guest on 17.10.10 22:47

@Rainbow wrote:She was seen to go in the tent with the baby and come out without it.

Sorry to be a bore, but this topic is about Peter Falconio, there is a thread dedicated to the "dingo case". I will try to split the posts (or Jill may help) tomorrow.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Dingo baby case

Post by Rainbow on 18.10.10 19:23

Thank you candyfloss.x

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Guest on 18.10.10 20:07

@Rainbow wrote:Thank you candyfloss.x

Thank you for reminding me Rainbow thumbsup I had forgotton to do it doh. Anyway done now and finally in the right place after much wheeling and dealing laugh

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Rainbow on 18.10.10 21:37

Great stuff flower

Rainbow

Posts : 472
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-03-13
Location : The Picket Fence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dingo baby case

Post by Marian on 10.08.11 13:58

I've just come across this old topic and am wondering what if anything came of the decision last year to reopen the case. Amazing to think that, more than 30 years later, it

still attracts a lot of heated debate. Personally I've never been able to decide if one or both parents was guilty but, as they didn't set up a money making venture within days and did actually face trial, I'm finding it much easier to give them the benefit of the doubt than other people I could mention!

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by ROSA on 10.08.11 14:01

Did the dingo do it?
lol4

ROSA

Posts : 1189
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2011-04-19
Location : Lakemba Sydney Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Doggone!

Post by Marian on 10.08.11 14:02

All together now - ASK THE DOGS, SANDRA!

Marian

Posts : 1147
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2010-12-19
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by ROSA on 10.08.11 14:19

Who stole my baby? i dont know were was the mum? in the Tapas?

ROSA

Posts : 1189
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2011-04-19
Location : Lakemba Sydney Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Miraflores on 10.08.11 17:48

I'm finding it much easier to give them the benefit of the doubt than other people I could mention!
And the mother at least served a time in prison - unlike others who have never even been taken to court.

Miraflores

Posts : 845
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-06-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Newintown on 10.08.11 18:17

You can call me "thicko" if you want to but I've never understood this particular case, especially the mother being released from jail because the baby's jacket was found buried in the desert.



How can you say that a dingo buried it and not one of the parents, unless DNA from a dingo was found on it.



Could anyone explain it to me as I'm probably missing the obvious. Thanks.

Newintown

Posts : 1597
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Guest on 19.12.11 8:52



Australian dingo baby case to be reopened

Father of Azaria Chamberlain who disappeared in 1980 'confident' new inquiry will officially rule a dingo took his daughter



guardian.co.uk,

Monday 19 December 2011 08.45 GMT






The father of a baby who infamously vanished in the Australian outback more than 30 years said he is confident a new inquiry into the tragedy will officially rule that a dingo took his daughter.

The disappearance of nine-week-old Azaria Chamberlain on 17 August 1980, from a campsite near Uluru (Ayers Rock) divided Australians with some believing a native dog known as a dingo killed her and others who thought she was murdered by her mother, Lindy Chamberlain.

Northern Territory coroner Elizabeth Morris announced on Sunday that a fourth inquest into the tragedy will begin in February to review the open finding of the third inquest that in 1995 failed to determine a cause of death.

The tragedy and the legal drama that ensued became the subject of the 1988 movie A Cry in the Dark with Meryl Streep earning an Academy Award nomination for her portrayal of Lindy Chamberlain, who has since remarried and taken the name Chamberlain-Creighton.

Chamberlain-Creighton received a life sentence for her daughter's murder and spent four years in prison in the 1980s before the conviction was overturned.


Morris said in statement that she would examine new evidence provided by Azaria's parents that dingoes attack children.

Michael Chamberlain, who was given a suspended sentence in 1982 for being his wife's accessory in his daughter's murder but has since been cleared of any crime, said he is confident that the legal process would turn full circle by reaching the same conclusion as the original coroner Denis Barritt did in 1981 – that a dingo took the baby.

"I don't think people open inquests without thinking there's good reason for it and that means there'd have to be a change from the status quo of the open finding that was in 1995," Chamberlain told The Associated Press.

"It's now looking at dingoes, not people, as to the cause of death," he added.

But Chamberlain said he was prepared to ask the Northern Territory supreme court to overturn the 1995 coroner's finding if Morris had not agreed to reopen the case.

"I am pleasantly surprised and very grateful that at long last there's a meaningful attempt … to determine the proper cause and truth about how my daughter died," he added.

John Lawrence, a senior lawyer involved in a separate federal government inquiry that in 1987 exonerated both parents over the tragedy, agreed that the new inquest would be a final legal chapter that concluded a dingo was responsible.

Previous inquiries were provided with no record of dingoes ever attacking children. But in 2001, a nine-year-old boy was mauled to death on Fraser Island, the last wild habitat of purebred dingoes off eastern Australia, and two girls aged three and four have since survived dingo attacks on the same island.

"I think that the void will be filled by the new evidence on the dingo," Lawrence told Australian Broadcasting Corp radio.

"The inquest will come to a conclusion very much similar to Mr Barritt's … and that should really put it to bed," he added.

Chamberlain-Creighton could not be immediately contacted for comment on Monday.

But last year on the 30th anniversary of Azaria's disappearance, she pleaded in an open letter posted on her website for her daughter's death certificate to state that a dingo was to blame.

"She deserves justice," Chamberlain-Creighton wrote.

John Bryson, a lawyer who wrote the definitive book about the tragedy Evil Angels upon which the 1988 movie was based, said the new inquest showed that the Northern Territory legal establishment was moving beyond lingering biases against the parents.

"They're entitled to their verdict," Bryson said of the parents. "They've been through a nightmare."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/19/australian-dingo-baby-case-reopened?newsfeed=true

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Humans were involved in disappearance says lead Azaria detective

Post by Guest on 17.02.12 9:54


Humans were involved in disappearance says lead Azaria detective

Nigel Adlam
Northern Territory News
February 17, 201212:40PM


THERE was definitely "human involvement" in the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain, the detective who investigated the case has said.

Lindy Chamberlain was freed from Darwin prison after the baby's matinee jacket was found at Uluru.

Another coronial inquiry will be held next Friday, the NT News reported.

Retired policeman Denver Marchant, predicted a dingo would be found guilty of the murder in 1980, said the inquest was "pointless" unless evidence about the jacket was heard.

"Mrs Chamberlain identified the jacket that I showed to her at the Forensic Section many years ago as being worn by the baby at the time of her disappearance," he told the NT News.



"The viewing was video-and still-photo recorded.

Mr Marchant said there was no evidence of damage or canine incisions on the jacket he examined in Mrs Chamberlain's presence.

"(There were) no rips, no tears, no precise dingo scissors teeth cuts, only some stitching that had become loose with the loops intact," he said.

"Of particular interest was the single button at the neck had the thread passing through the button hole. The button had become detached though remained adhering to the buttonhole.

"The jacket was inside out when the package was opened for the first time at Forensic Section, again in her presence. In a nutshell, the jacket was inside out with a button stuck to the button hole ...

"There was no damage consistent with a canine attack and it would appear the jacket was removed and turned inside out while buttoned up."

Mrs Chamberlain was released in 1986 after the jacket was found, partially buried. Mr Marchant said "a few rough experiments" carried out by late forensics experts Joy Kuhl and Brian Nieman showed the jacket could not be removed from a doll by pulling it over the head and turning it inside out.

But that could be done if the doll had no head.

"So what happened?" Mr Marchant asked. "Don't know. Was not there. Pure conjecture."

"But perhaps the dingo while running off with the child, stopped, undid the jacket, took it off, buttoned it up again, turned it inside out, buried it and then made off ... with the child."

He said the first coroner, the late Dinny Barret, found there had been human involvement in the disappearance of Azaria.



Timeline

June 11, 1980 Azaria Chantel Loren Chamberlain is born, the third child of Seventh Day Adventist pastor Michael Chamberlain and his wife Lindy. Her name of Hebrew origin - means helped by God.

August 17, 1980 On the second night of a family holiday at Ayers Rock (now Uluru), Azaria then nine weeks old, and weighing 4.5kg is put to bed alongside brother Reagan, 4.

August 17, 1980 About 8pm, Azaria cries and Lindy goes to check on her. She is not in the tent.

Lindy cries out: "My God, my God, the dingo's got my baby!" Three hundred people, including Aboriginal trackers, search the area but find nothing.

August 24, 1980 Wally Goodwin finds Azarias bloodstained jumpsuit, booties, nappy and singlet near the base of the Rock. Her matinee jacket remains missing.

August 1980 The nations focus turns to Lindy and Michael and their behaviour after Azarias death. Rumours include that Azaria means sacrifice in the wilderness and that Azaria was dressed in black. The world is fascinated; Australia is divided.

October 1980 Police statements are given by Lindy, Michael, their son Aidan, 6, and Regan at Mt Isa. Their 1977 Torana is searched.

February 20, 1981 Alice Springs Coroner Denis Barritt finds a dingo took Azaria but her body was disposed of by person or persons unknown. Forensic expert Ken Brown requests permission to do further tests on the jumpsuit.

September, 1981 The Chamberlain's My Isa home is raided. More than 300 items are seized, including clothing and scissors.

November 20, 1981 Northern Territory Supreme Court quashes the first inquest and orders a new one. Among the reasons is the discovery of large quantities of blood in the now-dismantled family car.

February 2, 1982 After new forensic evidence some of it related to bloodstains - is presented at a second inquest, Coroner Gerry Galvin commits Lindy to stand trial charged with murdering Azaria. Michael Chamberlain is charged as an accessory after the fact.

September 13, 1982 The murder trial begins in Darwin amid intense public interest. Dingo jokes abound as the nation speculates about Lindys guilt or innocence. By now, Lindy is pregnant with her fourth child.

September 1982 Sensational evidence is presented. A dingo was heard growling near the tent. Biologist Joy Kuhl says the blood in the Torana is from an infant. An expert says it would be impossible for a babys head to fit inside a dingos mouth. The defence then shows a photo of a dolls head in dingos jaw.

October 29, 1982 Lindy is found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. Michael receives an 18-month suspended sentence.

November 17, 1982 The Chamberlains second daughter Kahlia is born in custody. Two days after giving birth, Lindy is released on bail pending an appeal.

April 29, 1983 The Federal Court unanimously rejects an appeal. Lindy is held at Mulawa Women's Prison, then transferred to Darwin after an application for bail pending a High Court appeal fails. Kahlia goes to live with foster parents Wayne and Jenny Miller.

July 19 & 27, 1983 Solicitor Stuart Tipple applies for Lindy's temporary release after Reagan is blinded in one eye when a bottle thrown into a fire in the familys backyard explodes. The request is denied.

February 22, 1984 The High Court appeal fails in a split judgement of 2 to 3.

May 3, 1984 A petition of 131,000 signatures calling for Lindy's release and a judicial inquiry is presented to Governor General Sir Ninian Stevens. Meanwhile, new reports suggest the blood in the car was paint emulsion.

November 17, 1984 An application for release is made after Kahlia's foster parents are transferred. The application denied. Kahlia goes to new foster parents, Dr Owen and Jan Hughes.

November 1985 Evil Angels by Melbourne barrister John Bryson is published. It suggests the Chamberlains might have been wrongfully convicted.

February 3, 1986 Chamberlain solicitor Stuart Tipple is tipped off that the missing matinee jacket of Azaria has been found during a search for missing body parts belonging to a fallen climber at Ayers Rock. The jacket has been held at the Alice Springs Court House since January 31.

February 7, 1986 Local reporter Frank Alcorta is incensed when he discovers the matinee jacket has been held in secret for days. He threatens to publish an article if Northern Territory Government does not release Lindy from jail or call a royal commission. It complies.

June 2, 1987 After a 14-month Royal Commission, Justice Trevor Morling clears the Chamberlains. He slams the evidence offered by Joy Kuhl and other key prosecution witnesses. The Northern Territory government offers the Chamberlains a pardon.

November 4, 1988 The film Evil Angels (A Cry in the Dark), starring Meryl Streep as Lindy Chamberlain, is released. It polarises the nation.

September 15, 1988 The Supreme Court of Darwin quashes all convictions and declares the Chamberlains innocent.

June 27, 1991 The Chamberlain's divorce becomes final. Kahlia chooses to live with Michael and visit Lindy, Reagan stays with Lindy and visits Michael. Aidan divides his time between the two homes.

February 1992 Lindy meets Rick Creighton during a speaking tour of the USA.

May 25, 1992 Compensation of $1.3m is paid to the Chamberlains by the Northern Territory government.

December 20, 1992 Rick and Lindy are married. They live in Washington State, USA. Four months later, Lindy gets custody of Kahlia and Reagan. Two year later, Michael meets and marries Ingrid Bergner. Their daughter Zahra is born in June 1996.

December 13, 1995 The findings of the third inquest are announced. NT Coroner John Lowndes reiterates that neither Lindy nor Michael were involved in Azarias disappearance. He leaves the cause of Azaria's death open.

August 1998 Lindy and Rick return with Reagan and Kahlia to live in Australia.

October 2002 The opera Lindy premieres at the Sydney Opera House.

August 6, 2004 Melbourne pensioner Frank Cole takes a lie detector test after asserting he shot the dingo that killed Azaria in August 1980, then showed the baby's body to his companions. He passes the test, but Lindy expresses doubts.

October 2004 Lindy releases her autobiography Through My Eyes.

November 2004 The television mini series Through My Eyes is broadcast on Australia's Channel 7 network. Miranda Otto plays Lindy.

August 9, 2010 Jury notes from in the Northern Territory police files reveal details of deliberations: Three women all voted for Lindy's conviction while at least four of the nine men had to persuaded that she was guilty. The foreman dismissed the defence evidence as purely smokescreen.

December 18, 2011 A fourth inquest into Azarias death is announced, due to commence on February 24, 2012.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/humans-were-involved-in-disappearance-says-lead-azaria-detective/story-e6freuy9-1226273743160

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by aquila on 17.02.12 10:14

@littlepixie wrote:I have experience of foxes and dogs. I have seen them hunt in packs and on their own. I have never seen them carry away a live animal and kill it afterwards.

I agree. The prey is killed on the spot.

aquila

Posts : 7957
Reputation : 1182
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dingo baby case re-opens in Australia with new inquest

Post by Guest on 17.02.12 10:21

Hadn't realised they had found blood in the car................


November 20, 1981 Northern Territory Supreme Court quashes the first inquest and orders a new one. Among the reasons is the discovery of large quantities of blood in the now-dismantled family car.
February 2, 1982 After new forensic evidence some of it related to bloodstains - is presented at a second inquest, Coroner Gerry Galvin commits Lindy to stand trial charged with murdering Azaria. Michael Chamberlain is charged as an accessory after the fact.

September 13, 1982 The murder trial begins in Darwin amid intense public interest. Dingo jokes abound as the nation speculates about Lindys guilt or innocence. By now, Lindy is pregnant with her fourth child.

September 1982 Sensational evidence is presented. A dingo was heard growling near the tent. Biologist Joy Kuhl says the blood in the Torana is from an infant

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum