The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Raoul Moat Taser Firm Director Found Dead

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on 01.10.10 19:58

7:42pm UK, Friday October 01, 2010

Graham Fitzgerald, Sky News Online

A director of the firm which supplied the Tasers used during the stand-off with gunman Raoul Moat has died after apparently taking his own life.
To view this content you need Flash and Javascript enabled in your browser.

Please download Flash from the Adobe download website.
Peter Boatman was found dead this morning and is understood to have killed himself, Pro-Tect Systems said in a statement.

Earlier this week, the Home Office revoked the firm's licence to import and sell Tasers for wrongfully supplying X12 Tasers directly to police involved in the Moat manhunt.

Mr Boatman, 57, Pro-Tect's director of operations and a former policeman, was found dead in his home in Reynard Way, Northampton.

Managing director Kevin Coles said he and his colleagues were "devastated" by the news.

He said: "After recent events he wasn't the man he was. We're all just dreadfully sorry for (his wife) Steph and the family."

The Taser used on fugitive killer Raoul Moat did not have a licence

"A Northamptonshire Police spokeswoman said: "Officers were called to an address in Reynard Way, Kingsthorpe, at 1.09pm this afternoon, where the body of a 57-year-old man was discovered.

"We are not treating the death as suspicious and will be preparing a report for the coroner.

"The family do not wish to be contacted and members of the press are asked to respect their privacy."

Home Secretary Theresa May revoked Pro-Tect's Tasers licence following an investigation into the use of the weapons in the Raoul Moat manhunt.

She said Pro-Tect had breached its licence by supplying the X12 Tasers and XRep ammunition, which were still being tested, directly to two police forces.

A huge manhunt was launched after Moat shot his former girlfriend

Armed police fired two Tasers at Moat in an "effort to stop him taking his own life" during a stand-off in Rothbury, Northumberland, an inquest was told.

The Tasers can deliver up to 20 seconds of electric shock in bullet-like capsules from a standard 12-gauge shotgun or a X12 Taser.

The stand-off with Moat, a steroid-addicted former nightclub doorman, followed a seven-day manhunt.

It was triggered when he shot his former girlfriend, Samantha Stobbart, 22, killed her new boyfriend, Chris Brown, 29, and blinded Pc David Rathband, 42.

The six-hour standoff ended when Moat shot himself dead.

Back to top Go down

Re: Raoul Moat Taser Firm Director Found Dead

Post by Cherry on 01.10.10 22:50

That's very sad.

Cherry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 21.10.10 23:12

One thing really bothers me about the Moat incident. There WAS a picture of a policeman pulling funny faces whilst weilding the taser gun. He was with a couple of other officers crouching down. I wasn't the only person to notice this as others commented on it on some sites.
I thought his behaviour was very strange as at the time Moat was still alive and they were stalking him. It seemed inappropriate of the officer as if he was clowning around. I think this was the same officer who used the taser on Moat. His face was blanked out of the picture after Moats death.
It is so sad that this man felt he had to kill himself and I wonder what the real reason was.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kathyBelle on 21.10.10 23:32

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for the life of me, I cannot understand who anyone can have sympathy for Moat, he was a violent thug and had been in trouble many times with the law, before this stand off. My sympathy goes to the family of the man Moat cold bloodedly shot dead.

My heart goes out to the police officer, who Moat cold bloodedly shot in the face and blinded. While I have some sympathy for Moat's ex girlfriend, I feel she should take some of the blame, for writing to Moat in prison and telling him she was dumping him because she had found a new partner.

She knew that it wouldn't be too long before Moat was released and although she could have moved away from the area, where she knew Moat would find her, she chose to stay. She may not have thought that Moat would turn a gun on herself and her partner, but she knew he was likely to inflict violence on them both.

In my opinion the best thing that Moat did, was kill himself, if he had gone to court, he would no doubt have been given a soft sentence. Lets face it life doesn't mean life and many killers have been released from prison, and killed again.

kathyBelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 21.10.10 23:43

I don't think I have sympathy for Moat. I don't know if he was of sound mind or not when he did what he did. He will be judged as we all will. I know he had been making tapes of himself speaking to authorities about his child for a long time. Maybe he had a persecution complex, I dont know and I'm not qualified to tell. I just thought the policeman in the picture was making a joke of the situation or showing off with the taser. It was not professional.
I do not think his dying screams should have been broadcast over and over to the nation.

littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kathyBelle on 22.10.10 0:18

Hi Pixie, I'm in agreement with you when you say Moat's screams should not have been heard. I blame the press for that, they turned this event into a circus. The police should have moved them on, for their safety and the safety of others. The police did ask residents to stay indoors, but they took no notice and some even let their kids play outside. Moat was not too far away and as we all know, he was capable of doing anything.

I heard on the news that Moat was taunting the police, he was asking them to shoot him. I didn't know anything about a police officer taunting Moat, if he did, he would or should have been reprimanded. The police officer who tasered Moat would have been told to taser him by his superior.

By the way I was married to a police officer from 1968 until I divorced him in 1978, so I know what a raw deal they get from members of the public. I know there are some "bad eggs" in the police force, but good "bobbies" outweigh the bad ones.

kathyBelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another victim of Raoul Moat

Post by Guest on 01.03.12 9:22

The policeman blinded by Moat has apparently taken his own life.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/pc_shot_by_raoul_moat_found_dead_at_home

What a sad ending.

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 01.03.12 9:29

In most other countries in the world Moat would have been shot dead by a police officer, and that would have been an end of it.
Only in Britain do the police go to such extraordinary and personally dangerous lengths to take people alive so they can be put before a court.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nomendelta on 01.03.12 12:36

@PeterMac wrote:In most other countries in the world Moat would have been shot dead by a police officer, and that would have been an end of it.
Only in Britain do the police go to such extraordinary and personally dangerous lengths to take people alive so they can be put before a court.

Whilst it could be argued some beasts deserve shooting - depending on one's moral stance on such things - the sad thing is UK police have severely botched a couple of high profile cases when they HAVE shot someone who didn't deserve it.

nomendelta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum