The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Man recognizes himself in 17-year-old case of missing toddler

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by sharonl on 18.09.10 20:49

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/crime/stories/DN-missing_18met.ART.State.Edition1.35b33fd.html

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Associated Press,

BEDFORD – Twenty-year-old Stephen Michael Palacios came across a newspaper story recently about a boy allegedly abducted by his father in 1993.

Palacios, it turns out, was that boy.

After learning about his past, Palacios persuaded his father to turn himself in – even accompanying him to a lawyer's office this week – and will soon be reunited with the mother who desperately searched for him for 17 years.

"I am so excited," his mother, 40-year-old Dee Ann Adams of Bedford, told the Waco Tribune-Herald. "I'm really not even sure how I feel right now. It has been such a long time, and I had to move on. I had other kids I had to take care of. I am happy, and I am hoping we can rebuild our relationship, but the main thing is that I am in shock right now."

Palacios could not be found for comment Friday.

He was 3 when he disappeared after a visit with his father, Stephen Palacios Jr., a high school Latin teacher and basketball coach in Waco who had been granted visitation rights after the couple's divorce. A warrant for the father's arrest was issued, and over the years detectives chased several leads.

As recently as 2006, investigators put a Palacios family wedding under surveillance in Waco, but the elder Palacios didn't show. Later that year, they had missing-person photos of the son mailed to 80 million homes in the U.S.

Palacios saw an Aug. 29 article in the Waco newspaper about the alleged abduction, according to his mother. In the story, police asked for the public's help in solving the case. The article included a photo of Palacios as a toddler.

"Stephen Michael told him, 'I want to meet my mom and I want you to do the right thing and get this taken care of now,' " Adams told the newspaper.

On Thursday, father and son went to a Houston lawyer's office, where the older man surrendered to federal authorities on charges of interference with child custody.

Staff writer Tommy Witherspoon of the Waco Tribune-Herald told The Dallas Morning News that he stumbled upon the story in late August at a meeting with Robert R. Almonte, newly minted U.S. marshal for the Western District of Texas.

"He plopped down his 'most-wanted' list on the table," Witherspoon said, and the reporter joked that Palacios didn't look like a fugitive because of his wide smile in the photograph.

The meeting attendees then told him the story of the boy who was still missing 17 years after being abducted. Thinking it was a good tale, Witherspoon penned the Aug. 29 article that somehow made its way to the son himself.

Authorities have not said where father and son had been living all these years, whether they were using aliases and what the father had told the son about his past. It was unclear how much the son knew before reading the newspaper story. Nor was it clear how he realized the story was about him.

The father's attorney, Paul Nugent, told the newspaper that his client "has always acted out of love for his son and by what he thought was in his son's best interest."

"He is a good man, and if he has made some mistakes in judgment, he will have to deal with that now," Nugent said.

Richard McCall, an attorney who represented Adams in the divorce, said Palacios is a "narcissistic, self-centered, controlling guy" and rejected his claims of acting in his son's best interest as "a bunch of bunk."

Adams, who remarried and has several other children, declined to say when she would be reunited with her son. She told the Waco newspaper that her ex-husband "stole 17 years from me."

The Associated Press,

Dallas Morning News staff

writer Leigh Munsil

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Man recognizes himself in 17-year-old case of missing toddler

Post by Judge Mental on 18.09.10 21:55

No doubt there will come a point where the McCanns are saying that this is yet another story in a long list of stories that is giving them hope.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Eyes on 19.09.10 8:59

I wonder why Ben Needham hasn't recognised himself yet?

Irish Eyes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang on 19.09.10 13:16

Likely because Ben Needham is dead, I believe he fell off the back of Stephen's motor scooter, died and was promptly buried.

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.

kangdang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 19.09.10 14:41

@Judge Mental wrote:No doubt there will come a point where the McCanns are saying that this is yet another story in a long list of stories that is giving them hope.

Child abduction almost always involved family members in custody battle.
Stranger abduction of very young children is very rare, more so especially from a home or room of holiday resort for that matter.

How many more stories are they going to be able to latch on that involved stranger abduction. They can latch on to as many reported cases as they like; at the end of the day that changes nothing. Them piggy bagging onto other cases is not going to change the views of those who do not believe their abduction tale.

For example people's view on controversial cases, not matter what it be, regarding billie-jo jenkins case or jonbenett ramsey case are v. unlikely to change unless the case is solved. Pending cracking, people tend to stick to their belief whatever it be. People tend to look inward to family involvement and believe family are culpable in unsolved cases like these.

All crimes have a rather distinct manner of human behavorial pattern manifested reflecting the sort of the crime, which either allows prosecution because evidence is sufficent, or prevents prosecution not because there isn't any evidence at all, but rather insufficient for a successful prosecution.

No crime is ever totally free of evidence which points to a certain direction. Without fail, its a case or more evidence of what, and no evidence of what which aids investigators to determine and build up a theory of a crime for prosecution if no confession is had. In the case of insufficient evidence, the police can and will sit on it and wait for a break nonethelesss the case will still be filed according to category in accordance or relating to levels of evidence.

Let's face it, in the mccanns case, there wasn't a single trace of evidence supporting abduction. And, this is in spite of them having hired their own PIs. Even their PIs came up empty handed, not a shred of evidence. In fact leads and sightings were ignored by their PIs and not checked on. Cant be more patently obvious they are just shells on show.
The mccanns can control whether they want to sing till their cows come home, but they can't control people's thoughts - that the crux of the matter.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 19.09.10 15:02

Stephen Michael Palacios is an unfortunate victim of his parents or rather his dad's folly.

He is now so damaged psychologically having been deprived of contacts with his mum, and fed what tale goodness only know during the 17 years.

Its sad for him that he has to turn in his dad or asked him to surrender, and at the same time get to know his mum, and no matter what happens now what's done cannot be undone and what fate had dealt him is irretrievable.

If I were him I wouldnt know what to do. I wont want to lose my dad, neither do I not want to meet my mum.
The parents should sit down and decide for his sake to stop pursuing it through the law, which can only hurt him further.
He's old enough to decide for himself how he wants to maintain relationship with his parents.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judge Mental on 19.09.10 15:39

@ aiyoyo

One has always found you to write consistently excellent posts and point out extremely valid points, aiyoyo.

One is terribly been puzzled as to why Team McCann have not latched on to the Ramsey case as at least one case where something mysteriously shocking has happened to a child. It would be an excellent case for them to get the press to refer to these two cases at regular intervals. However, they have chosen not to do this.

One has considered that the the Ramseys and McCanns could even start an exclusive self-help group for parents whose children have been involved in the most mysterious cases involving children during modern times.

However, this would be wholly dependent upon them have their hearts in the right place.

One wonders why they choose not to ally themselves with the Ramsey case, but are often prepared to align themselves to cases which bear absolutely no comparison and have little or no relevance.

No doubt, one will have to continue pondering upon this for some time to come.

Judge Mental

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 19.09.10 17:49

@Judge Mental wrote:@ aiyoyo

One has always found you to write consistently excellent posts and point out extremely valid points, aiyoyo.

One is terribly been puzzled as to why Team McCann have not latched on to the Ramsey case as at least one case where something mysteriously shocking has happened to a child. It would be an excellent case for them to get the press to refer to these two cases at regular intervals. However, they have chosen not to do this.

Are you serious? Ally themselves to the ramseys case?
That would be more than suicidal if that is possible!

The similiarities would be put under the spotlight by the press and media. Plus the public would have that as conversational coffee breaks topic all the time.

Every thing they do they do so for a reason after ponderous consideration - it's called scheming.
Besides, atrocities against JBR were listed in minutes details, with her most private anatomy been subjected to gruesome autopsy examinations further stripping the poor little soul of any dignity in an already violent and undignified death. Imagine the mccanns allying themselves with that?

The ramseys case has dragged on for more than a decade without closure, and despite the law saying JBR's parents are exonerated, mud didnt exactly fall off their name did it even after all this time?

The mccanns case will be the same ie drag on for many more years with them protesting until their last breath 'they had taken her' but the mud on their name is not going to be cleanable as they wished.

One has considered that the the Ramseys and McCanns could even start an exclusive self-help group for parents whose children have been involved in the most mysterious cases involving children during modern times.

Yes, they should meet up to compare notes and congratulate each other on cheating the law, plenty in common to talk about.

However, this would be wholly dependent upon them have their hearts in the right place.

One wonders why they choose not to ally themselves with the Ramsey case, but are often prepared to align themselves to cases which bear absolutely no comparison and have little or no relevance.

No doubt, one will have to continue pondering upon this for some time to come.
[i]

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum