The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Trial Postponed according to Sky

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trial Postponed according to Sky

Post by Guest on 11.12.09 13:17

McCanns To Wait For Court Fight With Ex-Cop

Martin Brunt, crime correspondent, Portugal
Gerry and Kate McCann's court battle with the ex-police chief who believes their missing daughter Madeleine is dead has been put on hold.

The couple were due to ask a Portuguese judge for a permanent ban on sales of Goncalo Amaral's book The Truth Of The Lie, in which he challenges their version of Madeleine's disappearance.

But the court hearing in Lisbon has been postponed for one month because the lawyer for Mr Amaral has swine flu.

Earlier, Mr McCann, 41, told Sky News: "We're here to make sure that freedom of speech doesn't allow the truth to be distorted.

"We believe the book has damaged the search for Madeleine.

"If people read it and believe she is dead then they will not keep looking for her and may not come forward with information they may have."

Age-enhanced picture of Madeleine McCann

How Madeleine might look now

The couple are expected to also ask the judge for around a million pounds in damages which they will use to pay for their own continuing hunt for their daughter.

Madeleine was nearly four when she vanished without trace from the family's rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on the Algarve coast in May, 2007.

She had been left with her twin siblings in bed while her parents dined nearby with friends.

The McCanns are sure she was abducted and believe she is still alive.

Mr Amaral was a senior officer in the investigation but was removed from it before it was abandoned after 15 months.

Madeleine McCann

Madeleine vanished in 2007

In his book he asserts that Madeleine died in the apartment and her death was covered up.

The McCanns won a temporary injunction in September when thousands of unsold copies of the book were handed over to their lawyers.

Mr Amaral will fight their action, claiming he has the right of freedom of speech.

He is also planning to launch a second book in which he will claim he has been gagged by the McCanns.

A stunt or the real thing?

Back to top Go down

Re: Trial Postponed according to Sky

Post by preciousramotswe on 11.12.09 15:05

I have never heard of someone being put on Tamiflu and quarantined just because their secretary caught it.
Where I worked would have shut weeks ago if we followed that course.

Perhaps Portugal has a deadlier strain? thinking

preciousramotswe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 11.12.09 15:22

The new date for the hearing is expected to be 12/13th - 14th Jan 2010

I believe Amaral's new book, 'The English Gag', will be launched today - hope there will be an english version available soon :yahoo:

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:25

@Autumn wrote:The new date for the hearing is expected to be 12/13th - 14th Jan 2010

I believe Amaral's new book, 'The English Gag', will be launched today - hope there will be an english version available soon :yahoo:

There will be an online translation within a week or so.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by preciousramotswe on 11.12.09 15:29

It's one of the reasons why it looks a bit odd, tbh.
The trial can't go ahead but the book can - very convenient.

On the bright side, that means he can start cashing in again earning money in time for the hearing, so there will be even less need for the Fund that Joana is running.

Quite why a bunch of English grannies are donating for a man who has debts of hundreds of thousands of Euros, incurred before Madeleine ever went to Portugal, a man who was only recently throwing lavish birtday parties with the great and the good of Portimao invited, a man who has a lawyer working pro bono and an application in for state funding of his court fees - well, none of it adds up really, does it?

preciousramotswe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:31

Did they throw their tomatoes and eggs today?

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 11.12.09 15:33

Thats wonderful news but lets hope that it won't be too long before english versions of the book will be available to buy in book shops in this country.

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:36

@Autumn wrote:Thats wonderful news but lets hope that it won't be too long before english versions of the book will be available to buy in book shops in this country.

Buy in the shops when you can read it free (in breach of copyright) online? Good heavens.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:37

How long till stevo amends the illegal English online version to US English and sells it as his own book?

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by preciousramotswe on 11.12.09 15:38

@DCB1 wrote:Did they throw their tomatoes and eggs today?

Funny thing is, they seemed to know last night it wasn't going to happen as rumours were flying about the 'quarantine'.

Odd that Amaral's team let it get all the way to court then wasn't it? I think the entire thing is rather suspect actually.

preciousramotswe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 11.12.09 15:38

I havn't seen the footage myself but I gather the good people of Portugal were none too happy to see the McCanns and let their feelings be known laugh

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:40

@Autumn wrote:

I havn't seen the footage myself but I gather the good people of Portugal were none too happy to see the McCanns and let their feelings be known laugh

It would be better to see the footage of it actually happening though wouldn't it?

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:41

badmanners wrote:

Funny thing is, they seemed to know last night it wasn't going to happen as rumours were flying about the 'quarantine'.

Odd that Amaral's team let it get all the way to court then wasn't it? I think the entire thing is rather suspect actually.

Only the court could decide whether the case was to proceed or not. So I don't find it strange.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumn on 11.12.09 15:42

Nasty thing, swine flu - I caught it during the summer and still not fully recovered.

Autumn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by preciousramotswe on 11.12.09 15:45

Yes it would need the court to sanction it.
But the court were unlikely to proceed when Amaral had no representation.

And I still maintain that to quarantine someone because a work colleague has been ill is extreme. I work in an organisation where swine flu has been rife, and we have no quarantine rules and I don't know of any that do.

But then none of us have a book we urgently want to publish, either.

preciousramotswe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 15:48

badmanners wrote:Yes it would need the court to sanction it.

And I still maintain that to quarantine someone because a work colleague has been ill is extreme. I work in an organisation where swine flu has been rife, and we have no quarantine rules and I don't know of any that do.

The more profit he makes from the new non libel (!) book, the more damages the Madeleine Fund will get. Pleading poverty won't wash if he has another "best seller" will it?

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.12.09 16:11

@DCB1 wrote:
badmanners wrote:Yes it would need the court to sanction it.

The more profit he makes from the new non libel (!) book, the more damages the Madeleine Fund will get. Pleading poverty won't wash if he has another "best seller" will it?

I can't see it becoming a best seller myself, it really doesn't have the same sensationalistic value as a book claiming that Madeleine is dead and her parents involved. This seems to be solely Amaral complaining that a court ruling by a Portuguese judge doesn't allow him to libel people when he wants to, you really have to be a die-hard Amaral fan to be interested in reading about that. I read the first book, but there is no chance I'll bother with this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 16:21

From GA's latest interview with Sandra:

"GA: (... - voice cut ) I imagine so. There are debts and we are going to pay them with our patrimony, there is no doubt on that. However, I will never pay anything to the McCann couple. That is for sure. The procession is just beginning, between a lot will happen. We have no doubts that we will demand and ask for an award of damages for what we have suffered, my family and I."

Time will tell.

How gallant all these "victims" of the Mccanns are.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.12.09 16:34

@DCB1 wrote:From GA's latest interview with Sandra:

"GA: (... - voice cut ) I imagine so. There are debts and we are going to pay them with our patrimony, there is no doubt on that. However, I will never pay anything to the McCann couple. That is for sure. The procession is just beginning, between a lot will happen. We have no doubts that we will demand and ask for an award of damages for what we have suffered, my family and I."

Time will tell.

How gallant all these "victims" of the Mccanns are.

Well, it is actually true that a lot can happen in between, there is the appeal process against the previous conviction for perjury, there is the new torture trial to be heard, so yes, a lot can happen and it's even possible that he could end up in jail at the end of either of those trials. In the grand scheme of things, I would consider the McCanns to be the least of his problems at this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 16:38

this is from a twitter:

"Full credit to all those outside the Lisbon Courthouse this morning verbally abusing the #McCann couple."

http://twitter.com/RealHumptyB

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.12.09 16:44

@DCB1 wrote:this is from a twitter:

"Full credit to all those outside the Lisbon Courthouse this morning verbally abusing the #McCann couple."

http://twitter.com/RealHumptyB

Awww bless, such lovely people - isn't that the one who wants to shoot Kate McCann though, just waiting until the kids get a bit older (very responsible of her, I'd say)?

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 16:59

How many people said the mccanns would never turn up to face GA in court?

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 17:12

The official Portuguese approach to swine flu:

"She further explained the reasons as to why the Ministry for Health has stopped informing the population on a daily basis of the number of deaths in Portugal relating to Swine Flu.

“It no longer makes sense that all deaths are reported. Every day ill people die in hospital with other pathologies, and we don’t tell the nation. Informing the families is enough”."

http://www.the-news.net/cgi-bin/google.pl?id=1038-4

priorities right then:

The Portuguese President is considered a priority by Health Authorities and was included in Group A, which comprises, amongst others, pregnant women in their second and third terms, and members of the sovereignty.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by preciousramotswe on 11.12.09 17:14

many said that DCB.

What none of us foresaw was the old 'my lawyer's secretary has swine flu so he must quarantine himself' line.
I can't think why not. I mean, now it's been used once, it's clearly a very useful line for all sorts of occasions.
It is transparently stupid but also unproveable.

A bit like 'the dog ate my homework'.

preciousramotswe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DCB1 on 11.12.09 17:17

Jo's site is being updated now. I am waiting for the details of the demonstration.

DCB1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum