Meredith Killer 'Victim Of Planted Evidence'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Guest on Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 0:01

11:33am UK, Friday September 03, 2010

Nick Pisa in Rome

A former FBI investigator has said jailed Amanda Knox is innocent of the brutal sex murder of British university student Meredith Kercher.

Amanda Knox and Meredith Kercher were housemates in Perugia

Steve Moore, who spent 25 years with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, claimed the 23-year-old was the victim of corruption with evidence being planted.

But he insisted even the evidence presented at her trial was insufficient to prove Knox's guilt.

The American was jailed for 26 years last December for the killing of 21-year-old Meredith, who was found semi-naked and with her throat cut in her bedroom of the house they shared.

Speaking on The Today Show in the US, Mr Moore said: "The evidence doesn't just say she didn't do it; the evidence proved that she couldn't have done it.

"The evidence that was presented in trial was flawed, it was manipulated. Some people think some of it was actually planted."

Mr Moore said he had become interested in the case after his wife watched news reports on the case continuously following the murder in the Italian hilltop town of Perugia three years ago.

Knox is due to begin the appeal against her conviction in November

Besides Knox, her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 25, was convicted of murder and sexual assault and given 25 years, while Ivory Coast drifter Rudy Guede, 23, was initially given 30 years reduced to 16 on appeal.

Mr Moore added that he was convinced Guede committed the crime on his own and that Knox and Sollecito were "rail roaded" into being found guilty because of the flaws in the evidence.

He said: "I'm kind of cynical about people who say they're innocent. In a crime scene like that, when you have so much blood, it's as if you threw blood all over the floor.

"If Amanda Knox and her boyfriend and that drifter were involved in this, there would be three sets of fingerprints, three sets of footprints, DNA, hair samples. It would have been an absolute zoo of evidence.

Mr Moore has offered to help Knox's appeal for freedom. Photo: The Today Show.

"There was, in that room, footprints, fingerprints, DNA, hair samples, saliva samples, everything for one person - a drifter. There is no way they could have been in that room without their physical presence being obvious."

During Knox's year long trial which ended last December her defence team continually stressed no evidence of her being present in the bedroom was found and that several other sets of fingerprints found at the scene were never identified.

They also contested the prosecution who pointed at "mixed blood" DNA belonging to Knox and Meredith being found in the bathroom of the house saying the result was "flawed and contaminated".

Key to the prosecution case was a 30cm kitchen knife found at Sollecito's flat which had DNA from Meredith on the blade and that of Knox on the handle but crucially it was not blood.

Speaking of the knife Mr Moore also repeated defence claims that it was not the "right size as the wounds were too small".

I believe the evidence and I think most people in law enforcement who have looked at this carefully believe the evidence precludes her involvement. The only thing that is going to free Amanda is good people doing something.

Former FBI investigator Steve Moore
He also said there was nothing in Knox's background to suggest she was capable of murder and said: "This was an honor student; she is not a violent person.

"What they are alleging is that she not only helped assault the roommate, but stabbed her in the throat.

"That kind of deviant, violent behaviour doesn't go unnoticed for 18, 19, 20 years. Some things leak out; you see some episodes, some indication that this person has issues."

Knox is due in court at the beginning of October after being charged with slander following her claims in court that she was "beaten" by Perugia police officers when initially questioned about the murder.

Her appeal against her murder conviction is due to begin in November and Mr Moore added he was willing to help if asked, saying: "There's no financial interest; I'm not trying to write a book.

Knox's relatives have repeatedly pleaded her innocence

"I will do whatever I can do. I feel like a person who's just woken up in a home where there is smoke all through; all I can do immediately is just wake people up and say, 'Get out'.

"I've got a daughter her age. I just saw an injustice. There is nothing in that trial, in that case, that indicates that she has anything to do with this murder.

"In fact, I believe the evidence and I think most people in law enforcement who have looked at this carefully believe the evidence precludes her involvement. The only thing that is going to free Amanda is good people doing something."

Case prosecutor Giuliano Mignini was not immediately available for comment and the Kercher family's Italian lawyer Francesco Maresca could not be contacted.

Did anyone follow this case. Was she guilty or innocent?

Back to top Go down

Re: Meredith Killer 'Victim Of Planted Evidence'

Post  Rainbow on Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 1:17

Hard to say really,she certainly didnt do herself any favors with her behaviour post murder but that doesnt make her guilty imo.From what I have read there isnt a huge amount of hard evidence against her.

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Mental on Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 13:25

@Rainbow wrote:Hard to say really,she certainly didnt do herself any favors with her behaviour post murder but that doesnt make her guilty imo.From what I have read there isnt a huge amount of hard evidence against her.

@ Rainbow

Albeit not necessarily huge, what amount of evidence would you suggest there must have been in order for her to be convicted? From what you have read of course. big grin

One has to say that by not doing herself any favours after the crime, has probably gone some way in securing her conviction. People connected to Madeleine's case would do well to ponder upon elements of this case and ask if there is anything at all they could do to enable the police to fill in some of the blanks sooner rather than later.

Judges and juries are much more sympathetic when they are able to see that people have acted promptly and have not dissembled or prevaricated in their efforts to try and tell the truth,especially when the liberty of a friend or acquaintance is at stake. Indeed there can be something most irritating about watching somebody standing in a dock who is insisting on choosing a long protracted and convoluted route to the truth. One has known colleagues to deliberately stiffen the sentence in such cases where people insist on doing this .

One is quite sure you would agree, Rainbow, that it is always in one's best interests to tell the truth as soon as possible in order to help rather than hinder the police in any investigation. It is therefore to be hoped Ms Tanner has organised a lot of her own thoughts over time.

Judge Mental

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbow on Sat 4 Sep 2010 - 19:00

Thought this was about the Knox case.

Back to top Go down

Post  aiyoyo on Thu 23 Sep 2010 - 3:31

Guilty from strong circumstantial evidence and some hard evidence.

She is painted as a tough cookie, competitive, scheming, manupilative as well as a thief. Someone cunning like her will never concede defeat even when caught. Her boyfriend and partner in crime also jailed didnt protest his innocent. So if Knox claims she's innocent how does that place him? They were apparently at the scene together and existed together. They were the evil pair who perpetrated the crime against her.

In a crime like that : death involving sexual abuse in such a brutal form in own home, no forced entry, no other motive, it would suggest someone jealous or hateful of her and wanted to get even or revenge. Cases like that co-tenants are the most likely suspects and eventually convicted as perpetrators. Statistics have proven that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Judge Mental on Thu 23 Sep 2010 - 14:29

@Rainbow wrote:Thought this was about the Knox case.

hi Rainbow

Apologies for not having seen this little gem of yours previously. Any comparatives or points which express similarities to other cases must not be ignored and one will not ignore them.

It was you who made the point that the woman did not do herself any favours before her trial. You also stated that ''there isnt a huge amount of hard evidence against her.''

With hindsight, it was altogether a quite ridiculous post that you made. Fortunately, you have avoided to comment further for some weeks.

Judge Mental

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 12 Dec 2010 - 20:10

Just keeping this thread updated with the latest

Amanda Knox: 'Court Made Enormous Mistake'

5:38pm UK, Saturday December 11, 2010

Andy Jack, Sky News Online

Amanda Knox, the young American convicted of killing British student Meredith Kercher in Italy, has insisted she is the innocent victim of a "huge mistake".
In an emotional statement at her appeal hearing, Knox claimed her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito was also innocent and both deserved to be free.

The 23-year-old wept as she revealed she had been "broken" by her time in prison.

"The picture of me painted in court is not correct," she said, adding she was not the "diabolical" person she was made out to be.

"I stand here more scared than ever, not because I am or I have ever been afraid of the truth but because the truth has not been recognised."

The young American said she considered Meredith as a dear friend and was "grateful and honoured" to have known her.

But her tearful plea did not appear to move the Kercher family lawyer.

Journalist Nick Pisa, who was at the hearing in Perugia, said Francesco Maresca walked out of proceedings.

"She bores me. I didn't want to stay and hear what she had to say. I didn't want to cause any controversy," he said afterwards.

"I thought what she had to say was late and inopportune.

"What she said lacked content and was made just to impress the court and was not genuine."

Knox was jailed for 26 years in 2009 for murdering the Leeds University student in the cottage they shared in the Italian town of Perugia.

Her boyfriend at the time, Sollecito, was also convicted and jailed for 25 years. He is also appealing his conviction.

I stand here more scared than ever, not because I am or I have ever been afraid of the truth but because the truth has not been recognised.

Convicted killer Amanda Knox
Another man, Rudy Guede, was convicted in a separate trial in which he admitted he was in the house but did not take part in the killing.

Prosecutors said Guede sexually assaulted 21-year-old Meredith and then held her down while the other two killed her in a drug-fuelled, apparently motiveless attack.

In this appeal, Knox's lawyers are questioning forensic evidence used against her.

The main piece of DNA linking Knox to the murder was on a knife found in Sollecito's house.

It was found to have traces of Knox's DNA on the handle and Kercher's on the blade.

Knox's lawyers dismissed the evidence as unreliable during her trial and will use the appeal to call for a full review of the forensic evidence.

It is understood they will also try to introduce a new witness.

Victim Meredith Kercher: Died in a 'drug-fuelled sexual assault'

Last month Knox was charged with slander for claiming that police beat her during questioning soon after the murder.

She said then that she had been in the house at the time of the killing.

Knox now says she was with Sollecito in his house at the time of the murder.

Sollecito has said he does not remember if she was there or not.

The appeal began with a hearing in Perugia last month, during which a nervous-looking Knox appeared briefly before the court was adjourned.

Further hearings are scheduled for next Saturday, December 18, and January 15. A final verdict is expected in February or March next year.

Prosecutors have said they will seek a life sentence for Knox - their original request in her first trial - if the conviction is upheld

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat 18 Dec 2010 - 20:06

Amanda Knox Wins Key Evidence Review

7:50pm UK, Saturday December 18, 2010

Nick Pisa in Perugia and Sarah Gordon, Sky News Online

Amanda Knox has been granted a review of key forensic evidence as part of the appeal against her conviction in the Meredith Kercher murder case.

The American cried as she heard that DNA evidence found on a knife in Sollecito's apartment and on the clasp of Miss Kercher's bra would be re-examined by a team of independent experts.

The defence maintains that the evidence was inconclusive as the DNA samples were so small and has also argued it may have been contaminated when analysed.

However, the prosecution has argued that there is no evidence of contamination and no other reason for Miss Kercher's DNA to be found on the blade.

"Meredith's DNA was on the blade, the knife was found in Sollecito's kitchen and Meredith had never been to his house," said second prosecutor Manuela Comodi.

It looks like they have an open mind to really look at this case again and see a mistake has been made.

The new ruling is a significant victory for Knox and Sollecito, who are both trying to overturn their convictions for stabbing Miss Kercher after a sex game in 2007.

Knox's mother Edda Mellas told Sky News she was "thrilled" with the decision and that Knox would be "relieved".

She said: "It looks like they have an open mind to really look at this case again and see a mistake has been made."

The lower courts had previously rejected an outside check on the two key pieces of evidence, but the new ruling raises hopes for the defendents' appeals.

Amanda Knox, in court to hear that DNA evidence could be re-examined

In the latest hearing, Judge Claudio Pratillo Hellman also agreed to the requestioning of witnesses relating to a statement from a tramp which put Knox and Sollecito at the scene of the crime.

The defence claims the man referred to buses in his evidence which would not necessarily have been running on the bank holiday when Miss Kercher was killed.

However judge Hellman reserved a decision on whether to call two other witnesses who claim Knox and Sollecito were not involved with Miss Kercher's death.

Child killer Mario Alessi claims that a third man jailed for Meredith's murder Rudy Guede had told him while in prison that Knox and Sollecito had nothing to do with the murder.

Mobster Luciano Aviello insists that his gangster brother Antonio had told him that he had killed Meredith and that he had given him the murder weapon and knife to hide - none of which have been recovered.

Knox's mother Edda Mellas was delighted with the decision

Last week Knox made a passionate and tearful plea to the court insisting she and Sollecito were innocent and that "justice was not being served" by keeping them in prison and that an "enormous mistake" had been made.

Journalist Nick Pisa, who was in the court for the decision, said Amanda's family were in tears when the decision was announced and Knox's mother Edda Mellas hugged her daughter in celebration.

Sollecito also cried as he hugged his father.

When a reporter shouted to ask how Knox felt, Pisa said she did not say anything, butturned and smiled.

Meredith Kercher was killed in November 2007

Meredith, from Coulsdon, Surrey, was in Perugia as part of her Leeds University degree and had only been in Italy for two months before she was found murdered in November 2007.

The court has been adjourned until January 15, 2011, when a full calendar of hearing dates will also be drawn up.

Back to top Go down

The case against Amanda Knox

Post  Tony Bennett on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 8:26

It might help this thread (important here because there are some parallels with the disappearance of Madeleine McCann) if I publish a few extracts from Wikipedia's article on the death of Meredith Kercher. I've highlighted a few key points:

On 1 November 2007, Kercher's two Italian flatmates were away for the night.[20] At 8:40 pm, a witness knocked on the door of Sollecito's flat and Knox answered.[21] Kercher spent the early evening with three friends.[22] At about 8:45 pm, she left with one of her friends. They parted company near the friend's flat shortly before 9 pm.[23][24]: 24 Kercher then walked the remaining 500 yards (460 m) to her flat.[22]
At some point during the evening, a neighbour reportedly heard a "chilling scream" and, soon after, the footsteps of "at least two people" running on the metal staircase leading from Kercher's apartment and then moving away from the house through leaves.[25] According to investigators, Kercher died in the apartment at around 11 pm.[20]

At 12:08 pm the following day Amanda Knox called a flatmate,[24]:346 telling her that she had returned to the flat and found the front door open, a broken window, some blood, and that Meredith was missing.[24]:16-7 Knox also called the two mobile phones that Kercher carried.[24]:346 At 12:51 pm and 12:54 pm, Sollecito made calls to 112, the Italian emergency number.[24]:342 Before the Carabinieri arrived in response to these calls, two officers of the Italian Post and Communications Police came to investigate the discovery of the mobile phones carried by Kercher in a nearby garden.[26] Knox and Sollecito were standing outside and told the police that the premises had been burgled, that a window had been broken and that there were bloodstains in the bathroom.[24]:86

The communications police investigated the upstairs flat, finding blood in several rooms, an unflushed toilet in the large bathroom and blood near Kercher's locked bedroom.[20] The window in one of the bedrooms had been smashed and there was broken glass and a large stone in a bag on the floor.[20] At around 1 pm, the flatmate whose window had been broken arrived and said that nothing had been taken.[8]

The door to Kercher's room was forced open and the police found Kercher lying beneath a duvet, soaked in blood, with pools and smears of blood around the room. The area was secured for investigation.[20]
Police interviews

Knox and Sollecito were interviewed several times by the police in the days immediately after the murder. On 5 November 2007, Sollecito made a statement in which he said that he was not sure that Knox had been with him on the night of the murder. The police then questioned Knox, who had accompanied him to the police station.[29] Starting at 11 pm that evening,[29] she was questioned firstly by the police alone and, later that night, in the presence of a prosecutor.[30] During these interviews Knox made statements implicating Patrick Lumumba, the owner of a bar-restaurant named Le Chic,[31] at which she occasionally worked.[32] She said that she had gone with Lumumba to the flat and had been in the kitchen when he committed the murder.[33]

Knox later claimed that both statements were made under duress because she had been struck twice on the back of the head during the questioning, called a "stupid liar" and told that she would be arrested and put in jail for 30 years.[34] Knox repeated these claims during her trial, while a female police officer testified that Knox had only been questioned "firmly but politely".[35] Knox's lawyer, summing up at the end of her trial, stated that the interviews had lasted a total of 53 hours, causing "stress and fear".[36] The police have continued to deny that Knox was mistreated and she has been charged with slander, for which her trial is due to be concluded in October 2010.[37]

Knox was arrested later on the morning of 6 November. Some time afterwards she made a written note to the police, in which she partially retracted her earlier statements, explaining that she "doubted" her statements because they were made "under the pressures of stress, shock and extreme exhaustion" and that she was "hit in the head when I didn't remember a fact correctly". She "stood by" her accusation of Lumumba, but said that she could not clearly remember whether she was at her flat or Sollecito's house.[38] She ended the note writing "All I know is that I didn't kill Meredith, and so I have nothing but lies to be afraid of."[39]

This written note was admissible at the trial of Knox and Sollecito. However, following a ruling by the Court of Cassation, the statements made to police during the night of 5–6 November were not: one because she was being interviewed as a witness and the other because no lawyer was present.[30] The judge ruled that both statements were admissible in Lumumba's civil case against Knox, which was being tried in the same court at the same time as the criminal trial of Knox and Sollecito.

Lumumba was arrested on 6 November 2007 as a result of Knox's statements. He was detained for two weeks until the arrest of Guede. Initially doubts about his alibi were reported in the press,[22] but ultimately he was completely exonerated.[40]
Arrest of Guede

A few days after the murder, Guede had fled Perugia by train. Interpol traced a computer which he used in Germany to access Facebook in order to reply to a message from a Daily Telegraph journalist.[41] In his message, Guede said that he was aware that he was a suspect and wanted to clear his name.[42] On 20 November 2007, the German transport police arrested Guede on a train near Mainz, where he was apprehended for travelling without a ticket.[12] When questioned, he claimed that he was on his way back to Italy to give himself up.[12] He was extradited to Italy on 6 December 2007.[43]

Forensic evidence

Kercher's body was found on the floor of her bedroom, with blood in various locations in the room.[24]:10 Her superior thyroid artery had been severed by a stab wound and she had died a relatively slow and agonising death as she inhaled her own blood.[8][44] Her hyoid bone was broken, indicating that she had been choked before she was stabbed.[24]:144 There were also signs of sexual assault.[24]:110 Her body had been disrobed and moved some time after death.[20]

DNA matching that of Rudy Guede was found on and inside Kercher's body,[20][45] on her shirt and bra and on her handbag.[46] A bloody handprint found on a pillow under the victim's back was matched to Guede.[20][47]
A severed piece of Kercher's bra, including its metal hooks, revealed traces of her DNA and that of Raffael Sollecito.[24]:235 Sollecito's lawyers argued that that a 49-day delay in retrieving the sample could have led to contamination.[48] The judge at Guede's trial described the claim of contamination as making no sense, there being no material from which such contamination could have come, and so "the risk would have been the loss of traces found there, not the risk of somehow discovering new traces".[20]

Luminol revealed footprints made in blood in the flat, compatible with the feet of Knox and Sollecito.[24]:373[49] Knox's DNA was found mixed with Kercher's blood in the footprints and elsewhere in the apartment.[50] A further footprint, believed to be a woman's, was found under the body. It was the right size to be Knox's, although it was never matched to her footwear.[51] An expert defence witness claimed that this was a partial print that matched the pattern of Rudy Guede's right shoe.[24]:367-8

Knox's DNA was found on a kitchen knife, recovered from Sollecito's flat, and Kercher's DNA[52] was found on the blade.[53] The knife could have made one of the three wounds on Kercher's neck.[29][54] At trial, Knox's lawyers argued that she used knives for cooking at Sollecito's apartment.[55]

Investigators concluded that an apparent break-in at the flat had been staged, partly because the window seemed to have been broken after the room had been ransacked.[59]

In December 2010, the judge at Knox and Sollecito's appeal ordered a review of scientific evidence in the case.[48]
Prosecution and defence arguments

In the Knox and Sollecito trial, the prosecution sought to prove that a break-in at the murder scene had been staged. An officer testified that shards of glass from the broken window were found on top of a computer and clothes that had been strewn around the room, suggesting that the window had been broken after the room had been ransacked.[60] A flat-mate testified she had left her room tidy and nothing had been stolen.[citation needed]

Police evidence was presented showing that Knox and Sollecito did not have provable alibis for the time of the murder. Sollecito maintained that he was at his apartment, using his computer, but police computer analysts testified that his computer had not been used between 9:10 on the evening of the murder and 5:32 the next morning.[61] Knox has maintained that she was with Sollecito at the time, but in his statement to police, he said that he could not remember if she was with him or not.[61] Their version of events was further contradicted by a homeless man, who testified that he had seen Knox and Sollecito chatting animatedly on a basketball court, within sight of Kercher's house, around five times, between 9.30 and midnight on the night of the murder.[62]

The defence sought to show that Guede could have been a lone killer. A school director testified that he had been caught with a stolen 16-inch knife inside a closed Milan school on 27 October 2007,[67] and was also in possession of a laptop PC and a mobile phone previously stolen by somebody from a Perugia solicitors' office, burgled with a rock breaking a window.[68] Guede said that he had bought both the stolen laptop and phone at a railway station in Milan.[67] The school director testified that a small amount of money was also missing after she found Guede looking inside a cabinet in the school office.[67] An expert witness testified that the window of Kercher's flat had been broken from the outside and presented a video of stones shattering similar windows.[69]
Guede trial and appeal

Guede elected for a "fast-track" trial which began on 16 October 2008, presided over by Judge Paolo Micheli.[70] In this way he exchanged the right to test the evidence in a full trial for a more lenient sentence, if found guilty. The trial was held in closed session, with no reporters present.[71] He was charged with murder, sexual assault and theft.[72]

Guede claimed that Knox and Sollecito had entered the Perugia flat and committed the murder while he was in the bathroom.[73] He said that he was listening to music on his iPod, but heard Kercher scream.[74]

On 28 October 2008, Guede was found guilty of the murder and sexual assault of Kercher and sentenced to 30 years in prison.[47]

At appeal, Guede claimed that, while in the bathroom, he had heard Knox's voice arguing with Kercher about some missing money in the bedroom.[citation needed] He further said that when he glanced out of the window, he saw the silhouette of Knox leaving the house.[75]

On 22 December 2009, the Corte d'Appello upheld Guede's convictions but cut his sentence to 16 years.[76] In March 2010, the court issued a detailed report of its ruling, explaining that it had reduced Guede's sentence by 14 years because he was the only one of the three defendants to apologise to the Kercher family for his actions.[77]

In May 2010, Guede launched a second and final appeal to the Court of Cassation; the hearing was subsequently fixed for 16 December 2010.[78][79] On 16 December 2010 Corte di Cassazione confirmed the verdict. [80]

Tony Bennett

Back to top Go down

Post  Shibboleth on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 8:34

So the evidence was planted, the cops beat her up, the investigation was flawed and she was offered a deal to confess. Sound familiar?

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.” ~ Joseph Stalin, 1897-1953
"If Adolph Hitler flew in today, they'd send a limousine anyway." ~ Joe Strummer, 1952-2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Bennett on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 8:38

@Shibboleth wrote:So the evidence was planted, the cops beat her up, the investigation was flawed and she was offered a deal to confess. Sound familiar?
And she has access to very expensive lawyers.

Tony Bennett

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 8:52

Lots more reading here...

True Justice for Mereditch Kercher

Back to top Go down

Post  aiyoyo on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 13:54

Good thing the Italian police didnt allow her bail.
Had she been allowed to leave the country, justice would never have been returned to Kercher.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 24 Jul 2011 - 20:17

Amanda Knox appeal: DNA evidence to be rejected

Critical DNA evidence used to convict Amanda Knox of the murder of her British flatmate, Meredith Kercher will be rejected by two forensic scientists as the American's appeal against her conviction reaches a key phase.

DNA experts raise doubts over Amanda Knox evidence Photo: GETTY By Nick Squires, Rome

5:10PM BST 24 Jul 2011

Professors Stefano Conti and Carla Vecchiotti damning dismissal of the DNA evidence used to convict Miss Knox at the end of a year-long trial has given the 24-year-old American student new hope that she could be acquitted and released from jail as early as September.

Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison for the murder and sexual assault of Miss Kercher. Tomorrow's hearing is the start of a key week for Knox of Seattle. The report, a copy of which has been obtained by The Daily Telegraph, questions the reliability of two vital pieces of evidence - the presumed murder weapon, a knife found in the kitchen of Knox's Italian boyfriend, and a strap torn from Miss Kercher's bra.

During the trial, prosecutors said that the blade of the knife bore Miss Kercher's DNA material, while the handle bore that of Knox.

In their report, the forensics experts, both from La Sapienza University in Rome, said the DNA material found on the blade was so small that it could not reliably be tested.

Another key part of the prosecution case was that the bra strap carried DNA from Raffaele Sollecito, 26, Knox's former boyfriend, who was also convicted of murder and given the slightly lesser sentence of 25 years in jail.

]But the review found that there was a likelihood that the DNA material on the bra strap had been "contaminated" because it had lain on the floor of Miss Kercher's bedroom for six weeks before being collected by police officers.

"It cannot be excluded that the obtained results derived from environmental contamination," the report concluded.

International procedures and protocols were not followed by the police who collected evidence at the crime scene.

Dr Lawrence Kobilinsky, a forensic scientist and DNA expert, told CBS Television at the weekend that it was very easy to contaminate DNA evidence.

"You are breathing over the object...dandruff, hair, anything can contaminate an object. It will confuse the results."

"The problem is, there were very few cells on the alleged murder weapon and if you do the routine DNA procedure, it doesn't work - either you get no results or you get DNA fragments below a certain threshold.

"You really need to use special procedures called high sensitivity testing or low copy number, and that was not done in this case."

He said the review represents Knox's strongest hope yet of an acquittal.

"I think there's more than a glimmer of hope. This piece of evidence (the knife) links Knox to Kercher and if you throw out that evidence, the case is gone. She'll be coming home."

Miss Kercher, of Coulsdon, Surrey, was found half-naked, with her throat slit, in the hillside cottage she shared with Knox and two Italian women, in Nov 2007.

She was on an exchange year from Leeds University to study in the Umbrian hill town, which attracts thousands of foreign students each year.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 9:40

I've not been following this case at all, but if she get's off, the McCann's are going to love all this..

Back to top Go down

Post  aiyoyo on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 11:47

prosecutor's forensic experts threatens to sue the two independent experts.

The case is not over by a long chalk. If the prosecutor's forensic expert has her way there is no way Amanda is going to be freed just because her parents found two forensic experts willing to accept money to rubbish the prosecutor's forensic.

Back to top Go down

Post  lj on Mon 25 Jul 2011 - 15:49

Another case where the guilty party is playing the xenophobia Americans suffer from as much as the Brits.

I have the feeling that plays in a lot of these foreign cases.

I have to start reading about this again. Has the case against the parents already been tried?

"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

Back to top Go down

Amanda Knox is 'witch of deception' says Lumumba lawyer

Post  Guest on Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 15:47

26 September 2011

Last updated at 14:09

.Amanda Knox is 'witch of deception' says Lumumba lawyer

Amanda Knox's defence team is due to give its closing arguments on Thursday

A lawyer has described Amanda Knox, who is appealing over the murder of Briton Meredith Kercher, as "diabolical" and "a witch of deception".

Carlo Pacelli is representing Patrick Lumumba, a barman seeking damages from Knox as part of a civil case which forms part of her murder appeal.

Knox, an American, and Italian Raffaele Sollecito were found guilty in 2009 of killing the exchange student in Italy.

They deny any wrongdoing and are appealing against their convictions.

During the initial investigations, Knox had accused Mr Lumumba of killing Ms Kercher, 21, of Coulsdon, south London, who shared her apartment in Perugia at the time of her death.

As a result, Mr Lumumba was briefly detained but was later cleared. He is now suing Knox for defamation.

Knox has previously said that she made the statement incriminating Lumumba under pressure, after being struck by a police officer and forced to speak without a lawyer or translator present.

Meredith Kercher murder: Key dates
1 November, 2007: Meredith Kercher, 21, murdered at home in Perugia, Italy
6 November: American housemate Amanda Knox, 20, arrested, with Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 23, and barman Patrick Diya Lumumba, 38. Held on charges of conspiracy to commit manslaughter and sexual violence
19 November: Rudy Guede, 20, named as suspect. Arrested following day in Germany. Mr Lumumba released without charge
11 July 2008: Prosecutors urge murder charge for Knox, Sollecito and Guede. Guede seeks fast-track trial. All three deny involvement
28 October: Guede found guilty and jailed for 30 years. His sentence cut to 16 years on appeal
4 December 2009: Knox and Sollecito found guilty and sentenced to 26 and 25 years
1 June 2010: Knox in court accused of slander after claims of police violence during questioning
24 November: Knox and Sollecito appeal begins
25 July 2011: Appeal court hears of possible DNA evidence contamination. Prosecutors reject claim
23 September: Appeal court closing arguments begin

Speaking on Monday during the convicted pair's appeal trial, Mr Pacelli said the 24-year old Knox "has a double-faced soul" with a split personality.

One side is "angelic, good, compassionate, and in some ways even saintly", but the other side is "Lucifer-like, demonic, satanic, diabolic" and "longs to live out borderline extreme behaviour", he said.

"She is both one and the other. This is the Amanda of 1 November, 2007," he added, referring to the night Ms Kercher's body was found.

Mr Pacelli also said: "Who is Amanda Knox? Is she the mild-looking, fresh-faced person you see here, or the one devoted to lust, drugs and alcohol that emerges from the court documents?"

And he went on to say that his client is the "second victim" of the crime.

The court will hear closing arguments from the Kercher family's lawyer and the defence on Thursday. Knox and Sollecito, who are former lovers, were jailed for 26 years and 25 years respectively.

They have spent almost a year appealing against their convictions and are expecting to learn whether they will walk free by early October.

A third person - Rudy Guede, 21 - was also convicted of Miss Kercher's murder in a separate trial and is serving a 16-year term.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 19:30

Amanda Knox said to have plane on standby if appeal is upheld

Family of victim Meredith Kercher had difficulty finding air tickets, says lawyer as appeal comes to an end

John Hooper in Perugia, Friday 30 September 2011 18.32 BST

Amanda Knox was said to have a plane standing by to whisk her out of Italy if her appeal was upheld, whereas the family of her alleged victim, the British student, Meredith Kercher, were having difficulty getting air tickets to be in court for the decision, their lawyer said on Friday.

Francesco Maresca was speaking as the appeal by the 24-year-old Knox and her former Italian boyfriend built towards a much-anticipated climax. In line with Italian court practice, each of the parties to the case was given a last chance to sway the two professional and six lay judges.

According to unconfirmed reports in the Italian media, a US television network has put a private jet at the disposal of the Knox family. "Well now," said Maresca when his turn came to speak. "The Kercher family has problems finding the tickets to come here to hear the outcome on Monday morning."

Money, class and race were all deployed on the penultimate day of an appeal that has also been rich in allusions to sex, religion and even the occult.

According to the prosecution, Kercher died resisting a violent sex game involving the appellants and Rudy Guede from Ivory Coast. The defence's central argument has been that Guede, who has been definitively convicted of the murder, killed Kercher on his own after breaking in to the flat she shared with Knox.

The young American's former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, is the son of a prosperous urologist. The Knoxes are not rich but, said Giuliano Mignini for the prosecution, they had spent $1m on a PR campaign in defence of their daughter's innocence.

Mignini, who oversaw the original investigation, pointedly referred to the appellants as being "of good families", contrasting their fate in the event of an acquittal with that of a "poor black man".

His remark came in a speech in which he claimed, as evidence of the appellants' guilt, their reaction to gruesome images of the murder scene shown in court. "At the trial, Amanda never looked at them. Never. Raffaele looked every so often with one eye – icy, expressionless."

His jibe was described as "truly unfair" by Sollecito's counsel, Donatella Donati. Her client, brought up by his father after his mother's death, was simply "shy about showing his emotions".

It was followed by a defence onslaught on the evidence, with lawyers appearing to hint Knox and Sollecito were framed.But Donati came closer than anyone to making the charge explicit. She recalled that, after her client was arrested, his father had appeared on a show presented by one of Italy's best-known TV journalists.

Having heard of some of the alleged weaknesses in the police case, the presenter had remarked that, if such claims were true, "Someone will have to pay". The following morning, said Donati, the police found at the scene of the crime Kercher's bra clasp, which had lain there, apparently unnoticed, for more than six weeks.

On examination the clasp was found to bear a trace of Sollecito's DNA, though court-appointed experts reported in June that the evidence might have got there by contamination. Donati noted that the clasp also bore the DNA of two other men, and that neither of them was Guede.

"So, who were those other men?", she asked.

Closing her address to the court, Donati said it was the defence that had gone after the truth in this case, even though under the Italian system that was the job of the prosecution.

"Raffaele Sollecito has no fear of the truth", she declared with the clear implication that his prosecutors might.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 19:32

Amanda Knox 'is lucky Italy doesn't have death penalty'

Prosecutor in Meredith Kercher murder appeal reminds court Knox and Raffaele Sollecito would risk lethal injection in US

John Hooper in Rome, Friday 30 September 2011 14.38 BST

Amanda Knox at her appeal hearing in Perugia, Italy, which is expected to end on Monday. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images

The prosecution has wound up its case against Amanda Knox by saying that "fortunately" she and her Italian former boyfriend could not be executed for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher.

It was a reminder that, in her US home state of Washington, Knox would risk lethal injection or even the gallows if her appeal were rejected. Last week, the prosecution asked for the sentences passed on Knox and Raffaele Sollecito to be increased to life.

"They killed [Kercher] for nothing," said prosecution counsel Manuela Comodi. "But they killed her. And it is for that reason they should be found guilty and given the maximum sentence which, fortunately, in Italy is not the death sentence."

The tangled case, which has fascinated amateur detectives the world over, is due to end on Monday. In line with Italian court practice, each of the parties has a final chance to sway the two professional and six lay judges who will decide.

Comodi was speaking after her colleague Giuliano Mignini, who oversaw the original investigation, made an emotional speech in which he claimed, as evidence of the appellants' guilt, their reaction to gruesome images of the murder scene shown in court.

"At the trial, Amanda never looked at them. Never. Raffaele looked every so often with one eye – icy, expressionless. Here ... Amanda had her eyes cast down. Raffaele looked away," said Mignini. "These are little things that are important."

He went on to tell the court the Knox family had spent a million dollars on their campaign to establish her innocence. And, to the visible astonishment of defence lawyers, he ended by quoting a US tourist in Perugia, who had apparently said: "They are guilty – but will get away with it."

The defence argument is that a third person, Rudy Guede from the Ivory Coast, who has been convicted of the murder, killed Kercher on his own during a break-in. Mignini described him as a "poor black man" having earlier, pointedly, referred to the appellants as being "of good families".

The prosecution argued the defence had yet to explain two points: evidence that a broken window in the flat Knox shared with Kercher could not have been smashed by an intruder because the shutters were closed, and footprints in the bathroom that could not have been Guede's.

Comodi said they were Sollecito's, adding: "They didn't belong to Martians."

Back to top Go down

Post  aiyoyo on Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 20:38

I think knox's guilty as hell. She's the evil one.

As for her boyfriend, his misfortunate was to have met bipolar knox for a start.

It's terrible to jail the innocent, But it's even worst to let the guilty walks free.

The police must have had plenty circumstantial evidence in addition to the limited forensics and knox had proved to be a lie, so her credibility is zero. She can sway her defence team b/c of her looks but is in fact a dangerous and evil femme fatale imo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon 3 Oct 2011 - 21:39

Breaking News

9:30pm UK, Monday October 03, 2011

Kercher Murder: Knox And Sollecito Cleared

Nick Pisa, in Perugia, Italy

Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are to be released from prison in Italy after an appeal court overturned their convictions for the murder of Meredith Kercher.

More here..........

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillyspot on Mon 3 Oct 2011 - 21:51

As you say Amanda Knox acquitted and according to someone on twitter will be shortly jetting back to US on Donald Trumps private plane.

Daily Telegraph still says she has questions to answer.

"When first questioned by police, she told them that she was in the house on the night of the murder and that she heard Miss Kercher scream, identifying a Congolese bar owner, Patrick Lumumba, as the assailant.
She claimed that the confession was made under duress during an all-night interrogation by the police, but then repeated the entire account in a five page memorandum the next morning.
The prosecution said the fact that Knox falsely accused Lumumba of being the killer was a sign of her own guilt and an attempt to throw them off her trail. He was arrested in a dawn raid by armed police and spent two weeks in jail.
It was only by chance that a Swiss businessman read about the case and came forward to say he had been talking to Lumumba in his bar on the night of the murder – offering him a rock-solid alibi. Lumumba says Knox nearly ruined his life and he still has nightmares about his arrest.
Knox later changed her story, saying she had spent the night with her boyfriend, smoking marijuana, watching the French film Amelie and making love.
But Sollecito told police he could not remember if Knox was with him that evening or not. He later claimed his memory was hazy because of the marijuana he had smoked and that Knox had been with him.
There were also doubts over Sollecito’s claim that on the night of the killing he used his computer to download and watch cartoons and the French film.
Computer experts told the court that there was no activity on his laptop between 9.10pm on and 5.32am the next morning – the time frame in which the murder took place.
Knox and Sollecito also turned off their mobile phones on the night of the murder, from around 8.40pm, and turned them back on at around 6am, inviting further suspicion.
Police also said that a break-in at the house had been staged in an attempt to throw them off the scent of the killer or killers.
A bedroom belonging to one of Miss Kercher’s Italian flatmates was ransacked on the night of the murder, with a window smashed with a rock. But police said broken glass from the window was found on top of clothes scattered on the floor, suggesting the window was broken after the contents of the room were messed up.
Prosecutors accused Knox and her boyfriend of staging the break-in to make the killing look like a burglary that had turned into rape and murder."

Meanwhile Daily Fail have the news story "Guilty: Amanda Knox looks stunned as appeal against murder conviction is rejected"

Read more:

Will soon be whooshed.

Kate McCann "I know that what happened is not due to the fact of us leaving the children asleep. I know it happened under other circumstances"

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTruthWillOut on Mon 3 Oct 2011 - 22:02

I didn't follow this much at all so will refrain from giving a my view ATM. I'd just like to point out the practice of the tabloid newspapers publishing seemingly pre-prepared online articles before whooshing them is still going on!

In this case it is the Daily Mail. The headline is..."Guilty: Amanda Knox looks stunned as appeal against murder conviction rejected"

I have screenshots.................... thumbsup

Here is a sample of the BS:

As Knox realized the enormity of what judge Hellman was saying she sank into her chair sobbing uncontrollably while her family and friends hugged each other in tears.
A few feet away Meredith's mother Arline, her sister Stephanie and brother Lyle, who had flown in especially for the verdict remained expressionless, staring straight ahead, glancing over just once at the distraught Knox family.
Prosecutors were delighted with the verdict and said that 'justice has been done' although they said on a 'human factor it was sad two young people would be spending years in jail'.
Both Knox and Sollecito – who have always denied any involvement in the brutal murder - said they would take the case to the third and final level of appeal at the Supreme Court in Rome where it will probably be heard late next year.

Amazing what these papers do to be first with a story!

I see you spotted it too Gillyspot! big grin

Back to top Go down

Post  listener on Mon 3 Oct 2011 - 23:37

Merideth - R.I.P.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum