The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?

4% 4% 
[ 6 ]
3% 3% 
[ 5 ]
14% 14% 
[ 20 ]
31% 31% 
[ 46 ]
11% 11% 
[ 16 ]
37% 37% 
[ 55 ]

Total Votes : 148

Re: Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Post by Richard IV on 01.07.16 11:59

@pennylane wrote:

The way things went down, I wonder if Johnson was up to something and got found out, or some scandal threatened to engulf him if he ran for PM?  I honestly don't believe Gove planned this from the beginning.  In fact, although I voted for Gove in the above poll, I have my doubts if he's the right person as he seems to be a reluctant, latter day, candidate.

I`m sure it wouldn`t have taken much to knock Boris off his perch.  He gave the impression he felt unsteady himself. No doubt there are a few scandals lurking in his past and he has to be squeaky clean once PM. Look at what came out about Cameron and the pig`s head - I`m sure there`s plenty about Boris particularly with popsies.

I agree I don`t feel that Gove was planning this from the start, but it was probably building up through being with Boris day to day, that he just couldn`t back him to be PM.  Note: I do not like Gove.

I`m wondering if Theresa May was for Brexit all along and that`s why she didn`t go campaigning.  She`s had a hell of a job in the past getting rid of terrorists who have appealed to the ECHR.

Richard IV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Post by jeanmonroe on 01.07.16 12:18

Ok 'peeps':

We ARE still in the EU until Article 50 is 'triggered' by US!

ALL 'their' LAWS, 'fees', we have 'sent' them £350million (£50million@DAY) SINCE we 'voted' to 'leave'!

Today, 'WE' CANNOT 'deport' all the european 'rapists/murderers' locked up in OUR prisons if 'they' invoke their ECHR 'rights'

TODAY, we are where we 'have been' for the last 40 years!

'IN' the EU!

And STILL'paying' the EU £50million 'daily'!

And 'nobody', in the Tory 'government', seems to be 'willing' to STOP 'that'!

Is 'that' what WE 'voted' for?

I CERTAINLY DIDN'T!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 01.07.16 12:19

@Richard IV wrote:
@pennylane wrote:

The way things went down, I wonder if Johnson was up to something and got found out, or some scandal threatened to engulf him if he ran for PM?  I honestly don't believe Gove planned this from the beginning.  In fact, although I voted for Gove in the above poll, I have my doubts if he's the right person as he seems to be a reluctant, latter day, candidate.

I`m sure it wouldn`t have taken much to knock Boris off his perch.  He gave the impression he felt unsteady himself. No doubt there are a few scandals lurking in his past and he has to be squeaky clean once PM. Look at what came out about Cameron and the pig`s head - I`m sure there`s plenty about Boris particularly with popsies.

I agree I don`t feel that Gove was planning this from the start, but it was probably building up through being with Boris day to day, that he just couldn`t back him to be PM.  Note: I do not like Gove.

I`m wondering if Theresa May was for Brexit all along and that`s why she didn`t go campaigning.  She`s had a hell of a job in the past getting rid of terrorists who have appealed to the ECHR.
Yes, Boris did give the impression he felt unsteady re his chances from the get go, and he struck me as looking rather embarrassed during his resignation speech, so goodness only knows what happened to precipitate it.  I do think he did a very good job for Brexit however! 

It is possible Theresa May was Brexit all along?  I cannot respect any politician who would sell out on such an important issue however.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 01.07.16 12:30

"I don't gossip, I don't drink in the Westminster ('taxpayer' subsidised!) bars" says Theresa May.

So, 'St. Theresa'?.....(version 2.0.0)

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doubter on 01.07.16 12:49

@jeanmonroe wrote:Ok 'peeps':

We ARE still in the EU until Article 50 is 'triggered' by US!

ALL 'their' LAWS, 'fees', we have 'sent' them £350million (£50million@DAY) SINCE we 'voted' to 'leave'!

Today, 'WE' CANNOT 'deport' all the european 'rapists/murderers' locked up in OUR prisons if 'they' invoke their ECHR 'rights'

TODAY, we are where we 'have been' for the last 40 years!

'IN' the EU!

And STILL'paying' the EU £50million 'daily'!

And 'nobody', in the Tory 'government', seems to be 'willing' to STOP 'that'!

Is 'that' what WE 'voted' for?

I CERTAINLY DIDN'T!

Did you vote for £350 million extra to go to the NHS and immigration to halt ? If so you've been lied to .

It would also be truly comical if the Tories were to lose a snap election . All those people voting for a right turn with 'Churchillian' Boris at the helm .

Doubter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by New Poll, who will lead on 01.07.16 13:03

So if we are still part of Europe until Article 50 is invoked and until all negotiations are completed, then why is the UK excluded from still being able to listen,attend the European Buildings to ascertain how our soon to be ex-colleagues are conducting Business in our absence, which we are still funding on a daily,weekly,monthly,Yearly basis?

New Poll, who will lead

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 01.07.16 13:15

New Poll, who will lead wrote:So if we are still part of Europe until Article 50 is invoked and until all negotiations are completed, then why is the UK excluded from still being able to listen,attend the European Buildings to ascertain how our soon to be ex-colleagues are conducting Business in our absence, which we are still funding on a daily,weekly,monthly,Yearly basis?

If we had an effective leader, he'd be making that point loud and clear I feel!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard IV on 01.07.16 13:33

If Theresa May gets in she`ll be the 2nd woman PM.

First there was MT then there was TM.

TM seems to be a fortuitous pair of letters, especially a certain `team` we all know.

Richard IV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 01.07.16 15:51

I have admit that I don't like Gove (I voted in the poll for him) but who else is there who really put himself out there as "Brexiter" other than Boris. They were the spearhead as it were.

For me it has to be a "Breixter" and Gove put his reputation on the line but TM didn't. 

Now I do think Boris did encourage people to vote out but I have to say I would not readily say he would make a good PM. I don't want TM (even though she says there is no second Referendum (which was my worry and still is - did anyone feel angry because there was so much wailing and winging from the "Remainers" and that no media really allowed us (the "Leave") to celebrate?).

So reluctantly I chose Gove. 

I don't really trust anyone who supported Remain.

Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 01.07.16 16:51

@Angelique wrote:I have admit that I don't like Gove (I voted in the poll for him) but who else is there who really put himself out there as "Brexiter" other than Boris. They were the spearhead as it were.

For me it has to be a "Breixter" and Gove put his reputation on the line but TM didn't. 

Now I do think Boris did encourage people to vote out but I have to say I would not readily say he would make a good PM. I don't want TM (even though she says there is no second Referendum (which was my worry and still is - did anyone feel angry because there was so much wailing and winging from the "Remainers" and that no media really allowed us (the "Leave") to celebrate?).

So reluctantly I chose Gove. 

I don't really trust anyone who supported Remain.
Ditto!  I too voted for Gove as I prefer him to Theresa May, and I also do not think the PM position should go to someone from the Remain camp!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.07.16 23:18

@pennylane wrote:
@Verdi wrote:I'm not over impressed by Michael Gove's claim to fame..

Michael Gove has said he chose to run for the Conservative Party leadership after deciding "reluctantly but firmly" that Boris Johnson was not capable of uniting the party or the country.

"It had to fall to someone else... I felt it had to fall to me," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36677028

Where is the camaraderie and loyalty to fellow members - so much for party unity.  I don't particularly like blatant conceit, my thoughts are always if you're that good you don't need to blow your own trumpet.

backstab !

Continued..

'The winner of the contest - sparked by David Cameron's decision to resign after the UK voted to leave the EU - is set to be announced on 9 September.'

Definitely the X-Factor.  The 9th September (2007) is the d-day that the McCanns fled Portugal!
Morning Verdi,

Good evening pennylane howdy !

The very reason I prefer to avoid politics.  I think they've all got something hidden in the closet, skeletons in the cupboard or something buried at the bottom of the garden.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 01.07.16 23:23

According to latest info, Andrea Leadsom has overtaken Gove in the leadership stakes. I have the faintest glimmer of a feeling we could end up with two women candidates. Well, I can dream! 

I was impressed with what she had to say on a a tv programme for which I shall endeavour to provide a link shortly. 

If you think so too, maybe get the aforementioned link out on twitter or facebook to bump her profile up a bit. Theresa May has organised a slick campaign with the tory party weighing in behind her. If the grassroots realise the public favour a brexiter, with financial nous, Andrea could get a fair  crack at the top job.

ETA. So sorry I can't  find the link. It's  one of those things you catch on twitter and when you look five mins later it's  gone. I'll  look again tomorrow. 

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.07.16 23:34

Explainer | How is a new Conservative Party leader chosen?

The process for electing a new Conservative leader is fairly complex.

Candidates must first be nominated by two sitting Tory MPs via a submission to the chair of the 1922 committee Graham Brady.

If one person is selected they win outright. If only two people are selected by MPs they both go forward to a wider ballot of Conservative party members, conducted by post.

If three or four members of the party are nominated as potential leadership candidates MPs must whittle them down to two choices using a first past the post system with subsequent ballots after fourth place has been knocked out.

Then the two final choices are sent out to the wider party for the postal ballot and Mr Brady will decide the deadline for the vote, before a count begins at noon that day.

The result is then announced to the Parliamentary party and other members.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/01/andrea-leadsom-next-tory-leader-must-be-a-leave-supporter/

Not complex at all - ask the electorate to choose, they're the ones paying your wages.  Couldn't be more simple.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 02.07.16 5:31

I thought Gove gave a good speech but he went on too long I think.  

I immediately thought of "Windbag Kinnock" and how he reportedly talked so long in HOC he let Maggie Thatcher off the hook.

I do believe that Gove is highly intelligent and can hold his own but the business with Murdoch being mentioned has me thinking that nothing seems to have changed. 

Vote Leave is about change alright and that change involves not allowing Murdoch and co. having a say in our politics imo.

I now feel Andrea Leadsom should be given a chance.  She was excellent in the Leave/Remain debate and I think she is quietly confident about her abilities.

Theresa May (no way) for me.    I believe she has been too smart for her own good.   Didn't want to upset Camerun in case he won but let it be known that she really wasn't in love with the EU.

She didn't speak up then so how do we know she will stick to her promises and speak up for Leave when it matters?

NAH, not for me.    Has to be a Brexiteer and that is Andrea imo.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
Rolling Eyes

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.07.16 8:50

still maintain that Gove has the clarity, sense of purpose, commitment and leadership qualities to be the Prime Minister who gets us out of the E.U. as soon as possible. And he has a good track record at the Education and Justice Departments.

But it's clear that Andrea Leadsom - also a formidable lady and confirmed Brexiteer - is winning increased support, and the bookmakers now have Leadsom at only 3-1 or even 5-2 while Gove has moved out to 12-1 or even 14-1 or 20-1 against.

Meanwhile, the BBC's Radio 4 Today programme this morning had a long segment with two barristers, one of them the famous left-wing barrister Helen Kennedy Q.C., arguing that only Parliament could ask for Article 50 to be triggered, and that even if Article 50 was triggered by the government, that it would need either Parliament or even a second referendum to decide whether the terms on which we leave are 'right' or not.  

They were also repeating things like: 'the referendum is only advisory', 'it was very close', and 'a lot of people now wish they'd voted the other way'. The BBC interviewer didn't challenge any of this. I have searched the internet for definitions of 'referendum' and they all say that this is when a matter is referred to the people for decision.      

That's the kind of reasoning that makes me want a confirmed Brexiteer like Gove (or Leadsom) in charge.

The Article 50 petition now has over 12,500 signatures

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 02.07.16 9:13

On my way to placing my bet on a Leadsom win . I hope the odds aren't  closing too quickly. I was expecting 9/2 but that ship may have sailed. 

Yep. 11/4. My gut tells me we are heading for a seismic shake up of the establishment. No need to write to a dozy MP. Just get down to the bookies and let them know the people's choice straight from the horse's mouth as 'twere!  winkwink

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 02.07.16 9:14

Jon Gaunt has got a new unregulated Free Speech radio station and he's got some really interesting Brexit debates going on

http://www.jongaunt.co.uk/

https://twitter.com/jongaunt

https://www.facebook.com/Jon-Gaunt-146981585366774/?fref=nf

I've been tweeting him and he's now following me on twitter and I'll send your post to him, Tony. Or you can email him and get him to air your concerns on his radio programme, or better still ring in and have your say! http://www.jongaunt.co.uk/email-me/

Get'emGonçalo

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.07.16 9:19

@Mirage wrote:On my way to placing my bet on a Leadsom win.
Ian Duncan-Smith has this morning announced for Leadsom. Good luck!

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 02.07.16 9:22

@Tony Bennett wrote:still maintain that Gove has the clarity, sense of purpose, commitment and leadership qualities to be the Prime Minister who gets us out of the E.U. as soon as possible. And he has a good track record at the Education and Justice Departments.

But it's clear that Andrea Leadsom - also a formidable lady and confirmed Brexiteer - is winning increased support, and the bookmakers now have Leadsom at only 3-1 or even 5-2 while Gove has moved out to 12-1 or even 14-1 or 20-1 against.

Meanwhile, the BBC's Radio 4 Today programme this morning had a long segment with two barristers, one of them the famous left-wing barrister Helen Kennedy Q.C., arguing that only Parliament could ask for Article 50 to be triggered, and that even if Article 50 was triggered by the government, that it would need either Parliament or even a second referendum to decide whether the terms on which we leave are 'right' or not.  

They were also repeating things like: 'the referendum is only advisory', 'it was very close', and 'a lot of people now wish they'd voted the other way'. The BBC interviewer didn't challenge any of this. I have searched the internet for definitions of 'referendum' and they all say that this is when a matter is referred to the people for decision.      

That's the kind of reasoning that makes me want a confirmed Brexiteer like Gove (or Leadsom) in charge.

I nearly signed this petition. However, after a bit of thought I am not so sure. Schultz and Juncker want to start the process, which means I instinctively rail against it.

At the moment the pound is slowly climbing back . But what interests me is that both footsies are up. In fact, the footsie 100 is at its highest level since August 2015. 

In addition, the Deutchebank and Italian bank are each heading toward a crisis. Possible crash. We need to be in the driving seat and must not rush our fences.

I have faith in Leadsom's business acumen. My instinct is to take the foot off the accelerator just for the time being and hope she has a meteoric rise.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 02.07.16 9:29

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Mirage wrote:On my way to placing my bet on a Leadsom win.
Ian Duncan-Smith has this morning announced for Leadsom. Good luck!
Thanks Tony. I was out when the Boris farago was announced, so cringed a bit at your inevitable ribbing about the bet that never was. 

I think that there is a bigger story behind that than we may imagine, even at our most cynical. A play in four acts. The main character being David Cameron.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 02.07.16 9:33

@Tony Bennett wrote:still maintain that Gove has the clarity, sense of purpose, commitment and leadership qualities to be the Prime Minister who gets us out of the E.U. as soon as possible. And he has a good track record at the Education and Justice Departments.

Thank you Tony!  I don't believe we will have a second referendum.  It would be a terrible indictment on our democracy if we did, and cause endless bickering and chaos for the country and the economy, which needs firm direction and goals now! (imo).
I totally agree we need a confirmed Brexiteer like Gove or Leadsom at the helm now!  thumbup

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?

Post by Fallollop on 02.07.16 9:44

Perhaps we should get Big Sam in till the end of the season?

Fallollop

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 02.07.16 9:55

@Verdi wrote:
@pennylane wrote:
@Verdi wrote:I'm not over impressed by Michael Gove's claim to fame..

Michael Gove has said he chose to run for the Conservative Party leadership after deciding "reluctantly but firmly" that Boris Johnson was not capable of uniting the party or the country.

"It had to fall to someone else... I felt it had to fall to me," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36677028

Where is the camaraderie and loyalty to fellow members - so much for party unity.  I don't particularly like blatant conceit, my thoughts are always if you're that good you don't need to blow your own trumpet.

backstab !

Continued..

'The winner of the contest - sparked by David Cameron's decision to resign after the UK voted to leave the EU - is set to be announced on 9 September.'

Definitely the X-Factor.  The 9th September (2007) is the d-day that the McCanns fled Portugal!
Morning Verdi,

Good evening pennylane howdy !

The very reason I prefer to avoid politics.  I think they've all got something hidden in the closet, skeletons in the cupboard or something buried at the bottom of the garden.

Yes there's child abusers and goodness knows what other crimes and dark secrets being kept eerily under tight Establishment wraps.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 02.07.16 10:00

@Mirage wrote:On my way to placing my bet on a Leadsom win . I hope the odds aren't  closing too quickly. I was expecting 9/2 but that ship may have sailed. 

Yep. 11/4. My gut tells me we are heading for a seismic shake up of the establishment. No need to write to a dozy MP. Just get down to the bookies and let them know the people's choice straight from the horse's mouth as 'twere!  winkwink

I want to say good luck, but I'm not quite sure who I prefer yet flower

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 02.07.16 10:52

@pennylane wrote:
@Mirage wrote:On my way to placing my bet on a Leadsom win . I hope the odds aren't  closing too quickly. I was expecting 9/2 but that ship may have sailed. 

I want to say good luck, but I'm not quite sure who I prefer yet flower
It is very difficult, isn't  it?  At one time I admired May. But for me she has not been true to her word in the past. That is all I can go on. I think Leadsom has some impressive qualities. She is getting more exposure now so we will get to know more about her.

The establishment must surely be waking up to the idea the people are not going to be walked over in future.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum