The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

*** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: *** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 9:01

I have more than the required 5 supporters.

Here is a draft of the petition wording and the preamble (which must be limited to 500 characters). I would welcome any comments:

To ask the Prime Minister to write immediately to the E.U. under Article 50, Lisbon Treaty, triggering the process to leave the E.U.

The British public have voted to leave the E.U.  To avoid prolonging the period of uncertainty, it  is in our interest that negotiations to finalise our separation from the E.U. be completed as soon as practicable. It is essential that we trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty immediately. It is also essential that the government now takes active steps, together with leading advocates of Britain leaving the E.U., to prepare for our exit from the E.U., pending the appointment of a new Prime Minister. Our current partners in the E.U. also seek an early conclusion to separation negotiations.

+++++++++++++++++++

ETA:

Prime Minister David Cameron yesterday set out the details of the UK-EU deal in the House of Commons. He argued that the referendum would be “a straight democratic decision… Having a second renegotiation followed by a second referendum is not on the ballot paper.” He went on to say that “If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away.”

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: *** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Post by BlueBag on 27.06.16 9:56

Very good Tony.

They have to trigger Article 50 right away.

Before the chipping away of the referendum result gets too bad.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 10:19

@BlueBag wrote:They have to trigger Article 50 right away. Before the chipping away of the referendum result gets too bad.
Just 9 minutes after your post, @ BlueBag, BBC political correspondent Norman Smith has just posted this on theBBC News website:

Posted at 10:05 - Norman Smith, political correspondent, BBC

Any chance this referendum vote could be undone? Could there be another one?
Well, It's a long shot but it's not impossible. Boris Johnson was the one, remember, who first floated the idea of a second referendum during the campaign - he raised the idea that we could vote to leave and then go back to the EU and get a better deal.
Nicola Sturgeon has also said she's prepared to put a spanner in the works, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel is making reassuring noises, telling the UK to take it's time, not to rush out of the EU door.
So you'd have to be a very brave person to suggest that under no circumstance is a second referendum going to happen.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 27.06.16 10:38

I'm telling you... Boris Johnson was absolutely the fall back option.

We are about to get stitched up.

They are all snakes.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard IV on 27.06.16 11:15

@BlueBag wrote:
@Claire25 wrote:Are Scotland and NI even sustainable without the rest of the UK to go into the EU alone?
Will the EU accept them on special terms now or will they have to go it alone first?
Will the Scottish and NI people feel any differently about remaining in the EU a)without the rest of the UK when given all the facts and figures once discussions with Brussels explains b)if the Frexit/Swexit talks go further / now there are rumblings that Junker should go.. the ripples are spreading
Let them join the EU.

I'm sure France and Germany will love to financially support them.

Because they'll take more out than they put in.

Once Article 50 is invoked, will we be considered as having left the EU?.  
So they will have to re-apply to join surely.

Richard IV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.06.16 11:23

@Richard IV wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:
@Claire25 wrote:Are Scotland and NI even sustainable without the rest of the UK to go into the EU alone?
Will the EU accept them on special terms now or will they have to go it alone first?
Will the Scottish and NI people feel any differently about remaining in the EU a)without the rest of the UK when given all the facts and figures once discussions with Brussels explains b)if the Frexit/Swexit talks go further / now there are rumblings that Junker should go.. the ripples are spreading
Let them join the EU.

Once Article 50 is invoked, will we be considered as having left the EU?.  
So they will have to re-apply to join surely.
Richard, just look on Article 50 as your letter of resignation, when you hand in your notice to terminate your employment. Until you do that, you are still employed. Just like handing in your notice, your contract probably tells you that you have to work "your notice". However, once your employer has received your notice, he/she has at his/her discretionary whether the parting is amicable, and will let you go, IF YOU WANT TO, sooner. However, the "working one's notice" in the EU may be tell us to go, but because they want us out, and not because they have any loyalty to us.

I hope this goes some way in explaining Article 50 and how it works. But it's worth pointing out, Article 50 has NEVER been used before. It came into existence in 2009.

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.06.16 11:58

Brussels thinks we're BLUFFING: EU diplomats say they don't believe Britain will ever formally trigger Brexit despite referendum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3661760/EU-diplomats-say-don-t-believe-Britain-formally-trigger-Brexit.html

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 27.06.16 12:17

@sallypelt wrote:Brussels thinks we're BLUFFING: EU diplomats say they don't believe Britain will ever formally trigger Brexit despite referendum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3661760/EU-diplomats-say-don-t-believe-Britain-formally-trigger-Brexit.html
The British people were not bluffing.

Who knows what game the snakes are playing.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 27.06.16 13:10

There is a petition from 38 degrees doing the rounds for "exit" now!
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make-david-cameron-sign-article-50-noe?state=initial

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 27.06.16 13:16

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 13:16

@MayMuse wrote:There is a petition from 38 degrees doing the rounds for "exit" now!
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make-david-cameron-sign-article-50-noe?state=initial

Thanks for posting.

Have just signed, 2,206 signatures so far:

Anthony,

Thank you for signing the petition "Make David Cameron Sign article 50 now".

The more people who get behind this issue, the more likely it is that decision makers will pay attention. Every name added to the petition takes it one step closer to succeeding.

Can you help spread the word about the campaign by sharing it with your friends and family? Click the buttons below to share the petition on Facebook and Twitter:

signatures so far:

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kaz on 27.06.16 13:22

@BlueBag wrote:I'm telling you... Boris Johnson was absolutely the fall back option.

We are about to get stitched up.

They are all snakes.
We have had our disagreements on here BlueBag but you're bang on the nail with this one. I also think we're about to be stitched up. Whatever happened to democracy?  If the will of the people isn't addressed we'll be the laughing stock of the world...................................not that the UK hating self serving career politicians care. Where is our Winston Churchill to unite and lead us in our hour of need? I honestly believe that they (our OWN politicians ) intend to bring the UK to bankruptcy so that we'll go begging to be allowed back into the fold. They're in no hurry to get us out and meanwhile the BBC spouts its rubbish to unnerve people. Whatever happened to the idea that we put politicians in power to serve US, to do what WE want? Well if we go down all those rich parasites with their motor mouths go down with us. I feel a revolution brewing or is that wishful thinking?

kaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 27.06.16 13:27

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:There is a petition from 38 degrees doing the rounds for "exit" now!

Thanks for posting.

Have just signed, 2,206 signatures so far:

Anthony,

Thank you for signing the petition "Make David Cameron Sign article 50 now".

The more people who get behind this issue, the more likely it is that decision makers will pay attention. Every name added to the petition takes it one step closer to succeeding.

Can you help spread the word about the campaign by sharing it with your friends and family? Click the buttons below to share the petition on Facebook and Twitter:
signatures so far:

Signed and shared  nod

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 27.06.16 14:12

@sallypelt wrote:I am going to try and explain what the problem is with invoking Article 50. Let's start with the Scots. I know that tensions are running high in Scotland, because N Sturgeon is now calling for a SECOND referendum, because the situation has now changed, to what it was in 2014. Sturgeon, on behalf of the Scots, is arguing that because Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU, the UK government has no case to refuse Scotland a new referendum. The UK is under no obligation to grand that second referendum, but many Scots have said, that they will turn the UK into another NI if they are refused another referendum.
I find that a very bolt statement, sallypelt. Being an interested follower of Scotlands position in the UK, I try to keep myself informed. Nowhere, (TV, internet, forums, blogs) have I read such a thing. Can you link to that?

The problem is, that Northern Ireland TOO, voted to remain, so NI can also call to break away from the UK so they too, can remain in the EU. However, if, and until Article 50 is invoked, the situation hasn't changed in regards to Scotland and their demand for another referendum, so the British government can refuse to grant one, because Sturgeon doesn't have a case. NI is in a similar position.
It matters not a jot whether the UK government 'grant' a referendum or not. The people of Scotland, or NI, can declare independence (with the support of their population) at any time of their choosing, regardless of what westminster wishes.

So, the UK government has a HUGE problem on its hand. As soon as it invokes Article 50, Scotland and NI will probably demand to go independent, so they can remain in the EU (or, so they can emerge from under westminsters rock). If that happens, there will only be England and Wales  left in the Union. This is why some commentators are saying that Article 50 will NEVER be invoked, because no British government is going to allow the splintering of the UK.
I think you will find that no British UK government can stop any Country leaving the UK, if they wish to do so.

So, there is the problem.
Hello all. I have not posted here for a while, but have not been away. I would never have thought it would be politics that prompted my return.

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 27.06.16 14:19

@BlueBag wrote:
Let them join the EU.

Absolute nonsense, BlueBag wow . Scotland has been a net contributor to the UK purse, for 30+ years!

Take yer pick -
 https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=4xpxV-zPKOHS8Aft5pzAAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=is+scotland+a+net+contributor+to+the+uk

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.06.16 14:27

Richard Branson Urges Parliament To Hold Second Brexit Referendum

Now I know I made the right choice. DEMOCRACY, Richard, DEMOCRACY!!! Look it up.

Who DO these people think they are? They look down their noses at the vast majority of this country. Each day that passes I KNOW I made the best choice I will ever make in my life. Look how they are wheeling out people who voted OUT but now telling us they regret their decision. Well, I have seen some people say they voted Remain, but now wish they had voted out, even though they are on the "winning" side. Brexit stuck to FACTS, while Remain..........well, need I say anymore? Just look at what's been going on for the past 4 days, They are in SHOCK by a one person one vote (DEMOCRACY at its best) It shows the disregard that these elites have for the "uneducated" Brexiteers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WeURiShfU

And just in case someone overlooks the above link, I will post it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WeURiShfU

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

England and Scotland - Better Together?

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 14:35

@listener wrote:
Hello all. I have not posted here for a while, but have not been away. I would never have thought it would be politics that prompted my return.
Hallo @ listener. I know you are Scottish.

I am English, though in truth only half-English (Half English, Half Czech/German).

I really appreciate living in a kingdom where English, Welsh, Scots and many Irish people have collaborated to build what is on the whole a prosperous, democratic nation that has, together, made great sacrifices to defend freedom in Western Europe through two ghastly world wars. And I include those Catholic Irish who gallantly volunteered to help defend our freedoms in World War I despite so many of their fellow countrymen demanding the independence they were to win a few years later - whose actions will be remembered (amongst all the other victims) at the Battle of the Somme commemorations on Friday (1 July).

I very much hope that the Scots and the English will remain united.

I will happily concede, though, that if I were born and raised a Scot I might well have voted for independence in the 2014 referendum.

My only other comment is that that referendum was only 20 months ago. Two million Scots (over 55%) voted to stay in the UK; less than 45% voted for independence. I honestly think that a wise course for the Scots would be to be patient for a little while before rushing into another referendum.

Finally, I think this slogan definitely applies to the UK but NOT to the EU:

"United we stand; Divided we fall".

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 27.06.16 14:35

@listener wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:
Let them join the EU.

Absolute nonsense, BlueBag wow . Scotland has been a net contributor to the UK purse, for 30+ years!

Take yer pick -
 https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=4xpxV-zPKOHS8Aft5pzAAQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=is+scotland+a+net+contributor+to+the+uk
Whatever.

I say tomato you say tomato.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 14:38

@sallypelt wrote:Richard Branson Urges Parliament To Hold Second Brexit Referendum

Now I know I made the right choice. DEMOCRACY, Richard, DEMOCRACY!!! Look it up.
To be followed by Eddie Izzard, Bob Geldof, David Beckham and Gary Lineker demanding a second referendum???

Give us all a break, mainstream media!

Let's hear all the positive voices of businesses and everybody else working hard right now to make BREXIT work

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.06.16 14:44

"Evidence" that the World is going to hell in a hand basket, as the stock markets "crash"

Today's FTSE:

index value 6018.77 at 14:30 today
down -1.95%

index change:  -119.92 index change

52 week high 6796.45

52 week low 5536.97 

This low was in January of this year. Compare this low with today's  6018.77, and ask yourself, have you ever seen a stock market "crash" like it?

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by listener on 27.06.16 15:32

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@listener wrote:
Hallo @ listener. I know you are Scottish.

I am English, though in truth only half-English (Half English, Half Czech/German).

I really appreciate living in a kingdom where English, Welsh, Scots and many Irish people have collaborated to build what is on the whole a prosperous, democratic nation that has, together, made great sacrifices to defend freedom in Western Europe through two ghastly world wars. And I include those Catholic Irish who gallantly volunteered to help defend our freedoms in World War I despite so many of their fellow countrymen demanding the independence they were to win a few years later - whose actions will be remembered (amongst all the other victims) at the Battle of the Somme commemorations on Friday (1 July).

I very much hope that the Scots and the English will remain united.

I will happily concede, though, that if I were born and raised a Scot I might well have voted for independence in the 2014 referendum.

My only other comment is that that referendum was only 20 months ago. Two million Scots (over 55%) voted to stay in the UK; less than 45% voted for independence. I honestly think that a wise course for the Scots would be to be patient for a little while before rushing into another referendum.

Finally, I think this slogan definitely applies to the UK but NOT to the EU:

"United we stand; Divided we fall".
Hello Mr. Bennett - thanks for your polite, well-reasoned response  smilie .
I currently think that the question of division has been pushed forward by the actions of the place just south of you. I believe that the people of Scotland would not be asking such questions, if they saw some kind of fairness and good leadership from within westminster.
I believe that the very narrow win for the brexit referendum was the cause of the equally narrow minds of racists and those who don't understand immigration. I do understand that many of 'the brexitors' are now frantically trying to back-pedal. IMO, westminster did little to reassure it's electorate.
I agree with your final slogan "United we stand; Divided we fall", but it is only the actions of westminster (I can never quite give that word a capital letter) that have created this -

The current situation at (and created by) westminster is now nothing short of farcical.
The PM has resigned and his party now split. Boris the buffoon next? Or Theresa May?
The labour party are in complete meltdown.
westminster, currently, offers NO CREDIBLE ALTERNATIVE!

I believe that the people of England have quite-wrongly blamed the EU for their woes. They should have been looking much closer to home.

listener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.06.16 16:15

@listener wrote:
Hello Mr. Bennett - thanks for your polite, well-reasoned response.

I believe that the very narrow win for the Brexit referendum was the cause of the equally narrow minds of racists and those who don't understand immigration.

I believe that the people of England have quite-wrongly blamed the EU for their woes. They should have been looking much closer to home.
I don't wish to start an argument, I hear your views about Westminster, but on the two points you've raised above:

1. I believe the vast majority of both English and Welsh people don't have a racist bone in their body, are basically welcoming and tolerant to all peoples and communities who want to 'fit in' and live harmoniously with us, and we fully appreciate that all countries need immigration. The issues we have are I think fourfold - A. the pace of immigration B. the quantity of immigration C. the pressures on e.g. housing, education, health etc. facilities and D. the problems one particular culture has brought in its wake

2. An exit poll showed that for Leave voters, the lack of democratically elected government of the EU was the main reason for voting 'Leave' for 49% of voters, with only 33% citing immigration first. For me and so many others, we don't think the EU (or immigrants) are to blame for all our ills. We voted why we did because A. the EU is fundamentally undemocratic B. its bureaucracy and ever-increasing regulation slows down business C. it is most certainly bent on increasing its powers (EU army, EU justice system etc.) D. it costs us, net, around £9 billion a year and E. its 'single market' is inward-looking, it can't reach trade deals quickly because all 28 countries have to be consulted, and it imposes unfair tariffs on third world countries. 

Whatever else may be laid at the door of the English, at least when your James VI became our King in 1603 and then again when our two nations united in 1707, we had the good sense not to interfere with the Scottish legal system.

I rather like your 'not proven' verdict, for example.

I feel sad sad when it gets to English and Scots people having a go at each other. We have done so very much successfully together for 400 years

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 27.06.16 16:23

Well looks like Cameron is leaving it to the next PM, no commitment to trigger Article 50; wants to examine the "right negotiations" beforehand?

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 27.06.16 16:48

I am sick and tired of hearing about racists and people like Harriet Harman banging on about it.

I am not a racist and neither are any of my family or friends.    Being proud to be British does not make any of us racist and in case any of the  Big Sulks forget we have racism laws in this country and if anyone is found guilty they should be dealt with severely imo.

We do not know who put those posters up and until we do why should we automatically think it was a Leaver - it could well be the dirty tricks brigade.   Is that a possibility?

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
Rolling Eyes

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 27.06.16 16:53

@plebgate wrote:We do not know who put those posters up and until we do why should we automatically think it was a Leaver - it could well be the dirty tricks brigade.   Is that a possibility?
Always.

It's an old trick.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum