The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

*** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: *** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Post by BlueBag on 22.09.16 17:27

Snakes.

Sir Alan Duncan: Boris Johnson didn't want Brexit win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37439890

I never believed he did.

He's been very quiet ever since.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Theresa May has vowed to repeal the European Communities Act 1972

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.10.16 6:40

This looks like a very good sign from Theresa May. She is going to repeal the hated (by many of us) European Communities Act 1972, which was the one that took us into the then 'Common Market', and committed our judges to placing European law above British law. When that Act came into effect on 1 April 1974, that was the moment we lost our status as an independent country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Thank you @ Nigel Farage for helping us to regain it

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: *** NEW - Article 50 Petition ACCEPTED - Open for signatures *** (was: CMOMM member proposes urgent post-BREXIT petition to the Prime Minister)

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 6:44

@Tony Bennett wrote:This looks like a very good sign from Theresa May. She is going to repeal the hated (by many of us) European Communities Act 1972, which was the one that took us into the then 'Common Market', and committed our judges to placing European law above British law. When that Act came into effect on 1 April 1974, that was the moment we lost our status as an independent country.

Er... Tony... she has to get it passed in Parliament.

That's not going to happen.

She has all the tools she needs right now without Parliament.

The British people have already voted.

ARTICLE 50 NOW!

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.10.16 6:59

@BlueBag wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:This looks like a very good sign from Theresa May. She is going to repeal the hated (by many of us) European Communities Act 1972, which was the one that took us into the then 'Common Market', and committed our judges to placing European law above British law. When that Act came into effect on 1 April 1974, that was the moment we lost our status as an independent country.

On this occasion I am optimistic. I think it is going to happen.

I cannot see any more than a handful of Conservatives opposing this.

Several Labour MPs like Gisela Stuart, Frank Filed and Kate Hoey will certainly support it.

The Labour Party would be mad to oppose it, and everyone knows that the now-powerful (within the Labour Party) Corbyn has no enthusiasm at all for the E.U. and has basically said the same as May: 'Brexit means Brexit'.   

There is an excellent article by columnist Quentin Letts for the Daily Mail yesterday on 'The first 100 days since Brexit' in which he celebrates this historic vote by ordinary Brits to overturn the hitherto all-powerful politically correct elite that has run Britain for the past 50 years or so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3816774/Britain-s-100-DAY-revolution-Brexit-vote-ve-seen-seismic-shift-power-discredited-ruling-elite-crushed-No-wonder-QUENTIN-LETTS-never-felt-optimistic-future.html

I really would recommend that everyone stop by for 5 minutes and have a read of it; it will give all except the remaining E.U.-lovers a tonic.

He quotes one interesting statistic: namely that there was only one income group that voted by a majority for 'Remain'. And that was those with incomes of £60,000 a year or more.  

Included in this article is a simply wonderful photo of the good, ordinary, working people of Sunderland celebrating their city's huge majority vote for Brexit over London's metropolitan elite.

Here it is. I freely confess I came out in goose bumps when I watched the astonishing result declared live early on 24 June: 

Nearly 75% of the people of Sunderland voted Brexit

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 7:37

The Labour Party would be mad to oppose it,

They will though.

As will half the Tory party and all the Libs and SNP.

No way will this be passed before the next election.

And the thing is.. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE PASSED... we have spoken

ARTICLE 50 NOW and this all comes with it!

This is all more foot-dragging.

The media are making me sick with articles about how things are better since Brexit when in fact NOTHING has changed since the referendum. 

Nothing.

They are buying time.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 10:15

Worrying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law.

Why???

We need to get rid of a lot of it - especially the immigration law.

She has also promised a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech, which will overturn the act that took the UK into the EU.

What if Parliament reject this bill, which I think the people on the gravy train will?

She didn't have to do this.

She already has a mandate.

She has opened the door to another debate about leaving or not to be decided by our "betters" this time - including the House of Lords.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 02.10.16 12:27

The Government will also enshrine EU law into Uk...
This will allow the government to seek to keep, amend or cancel any legislation once Brexit has been completed. The repeal bill will also end the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK.

How does that work? 

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.10.16 12:46

@MayMuse wrote:The Government will also enshrine EU law into Uk...
This will allow the government to seek to keep, amend or cancel any legislation once Brexit has been completed. The repeal bill will also end the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice in the UK.

How does that work? 
I think it means this.

All EU laws - some of which are good but many of which are not - stay in place until BREXIT happens.

Article 50 will be triggered on or before 31 March 2017.

Therefore once that is triggered, we will be out of the EU within 2 years [Example: Art. 50 is triggered on say 15 March 2017. That means we cease to be a member of it on 15 March 2019]. That's when BREXIT actually happens.

In theory at least, on the next day after that, 16 March 2019, we can either:

A. Cancel all EU legislation, or

B. Cancel some EU legislation, amend other EU legislation, or keep some of it. Think of EU legislation as a pack of cards. After BREXIT we could, say:

* Scrap the entire diamond and club suits, plus the 2, 4, 6 and 8 of spades and the J, Q, K of hearts, and

* Amend the A, 3, 5, 7 and 9 of spades and the 2, 4, 6 and 8 of hearts, 

* But keep the 10, J, Q, K of spades and the A, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 of hearts.

There are no 'jokers' apart from Ken 'Bilderberg' Clarke and Jean-Claude Drunker

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 02.10.16 13:01

Exclusive: Tories call for snap general election as polls show Theresa May would nearly quadruple Commons majority

1st October 2016

With Labour in disarray and Mrs May yet to get her own mandate from the British people, calls are now mounting for her to bring the 2020 election forward. 

Jake Berry, the Tory MP for Rossendale and Darwen, told The Telegraph an early election would help her pass policy changes more easily and avoid any backlash from Brexit negotiations.

“An election in 2020 would effectively be an election on the Brexit deal, which could potentially open the door to Labour if the public are not happy,” he said.

“If we had an election next year it would push the next vote over to 2022, where we will have had more of an opportunity to see if Brexit succeeded or failed.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/01/exclusive-tories-call-for-early-general-election-as-polls-show-t/

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 02.10.16 13:25

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:The Government will also enshrine EU law into Uk...

How does that work? 
I think it means this.

All EU laws - some of which are good but many of which are not - stay in place until BREXIT happens.

Article 50 will be triggered on or before 31 March 2017.

Therefore once that is triggered, we will be out of the EU within 2 years [Example: Art. 50 is triggered on say 15 March 2017. That means we cease to be a member of it on 15 March 2019]. That's when BREXIT actually happens.

In theory at least, on the next day after that, 16 March 2019, we can either:

A. Cancel all EU legislation, or

B. Cancel some EU legislation, amend other EU legislation, or keep some of it. Think of EU legislation as a pack of cards. After BREXIT we could, say:

* Scrap the entire diamond and club suits, plus the 2, 4, 6 and 8 of spades and the J, Q, K of hearts, and

* Amend the A, 3, 5, 7 and 9 of spades and the 2, 4, 6 and 8 of hearts, 

* But keep the 10, J, Q, K of spades and the A, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 of hearts.

There are no 'jokers' apart from Ken 'Bilderberg' Clarke and Jean-Claude Drunker
Thanks for taking the time to explain, so looks like "they" get to pick and choose or "adopting" some policies? 
But  wasn't Brexit leaving everything to do with the EU legislation etc or not? 
The whole delay,debates, new PM and toy throwing since the referendum has clouded what the true purpose is, for me anyhow. 
So now it's "deal" time or am I looking at it incorrectly?

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.10.16 13:35

@Verdi wrote:Exclusive: Tories call for snap general election as polls show Theresa May would nearly quadruple Commons majority

1st October 2016

With Labour in disarray and Mrs May yet to get her own mandate from the British people, calls are now mounting for her to bring the 2020 election forward. 

Jake Berry, the Tory MP for Rossendale and Darwen, told The Telegraph an early election would help her pass policy changes more easily and avoid any backlash from Brexit negotiations.

“An election in 2020 would effectively be an election on the Brexit deal, which could potentially open the door to Labour if the public are not happy,” he said.

“If we had an election next year it would push the next vote over to 2022, where we will have had more of an opportunity to see if Brexit succeeded or failed.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/01/exclusive-tories-call-for-early-general-election-as-polls-show-t/
We do NOT need another election!

We elect MPs to get on with the job.

Any Prime Minister calling an early election to seek party advantage would IMO be punished by the voters. We do NOT appreciate unnecessary elections.

Theresa May said she would go on until 2020 and 'there will be no General Election before then'. I believe she will stick by that.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 15:03

I really think people are not getting it.

After the British people voted to leave the EU... MPs... the majority of which wanted to stay... are going to vote on the EU repeal bill?

There will be another stay/leave campaign with lots of debate and lobbying.... and MPs will decide.... and the British people won't have a say.

We are being suckered unless this is going to be an uncontested bill (fat chance).

Article 50 needs to be triggered, nothing more.

The rest follows without debate.

The British people have already voted to repeal the EU act by default.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 15:22

@BlueBag wrote:The British people have already voted to repeal the EU act by default.
Sorry to quote myself but I want to extend this point.

This means that anything other than an uncontested repeal bill is unacceptable.

Watch what happens.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 02.10.16 16:24

@BlueBag wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:The British people have already voted to repeal the EU act by default.
Sorry to quote myself but I want to extend this point.

This means that anything other than an uncontested repeal bill is unacceptable.

Watch what happens.
This is what I'm trying to understand, why a repeal bill and debate or vote ( would that be parliament alone) for what policies are to be implemented, I thought Brexit meant Leave. Full Stop! 

Are they trying to appease the higher echelons?

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 17:22

@MayMuse wrote:
 I thought Brexit meant Leave. Full Stop! 
Welcome to the world of politics.

There is a long way to go yet.

So far Theresa May (a remain campaigner) has said Article 50 "early 2017", then February, now end of March.

It will get nicely pushed along.

They are born with Forked tongues and we need to be on their backs constantly.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 02.10.16 19:58

@Tony Bennett wrote:

Any Prime Minister calling an early election to seek party advantage would IMO be punished by the voters. We do NOT appreciate unnecessary elections.

Theresa May said she would go on until 2020 and 'there will be no General Election before then'. I believe she will stick by that.
I agree, they should get on with the job but since when has any politician had the peoples best interests at heart?

If an early general election is called, Theresa May is so cock-sure of her popularity as Conservative leader and PM, an additional two years could be added to her term in office.  I see this as a distinct possibility.  Meanwhile, Nicola Sturgeon is again threatening to scupper Brexit by forcing a second Scottish independence referendum - is this by popular demand or because it benefits Sturgeon's personal agenda?

The electorate is given the opportunity to vote in a general election a by-election a local election and/or on very rare occasions, a referendum - and that's it.

The electorate doesn't have any say as to who is elected party leader, which politician heads any one department or when elections are decided outside the mandatory five years.  I didn't choose Theresa May to become Prime Minister, that was decided in-house.
Effectively, the electorate has very little say in how the government is administered.  The result of a referendum calls for the UK to leave the EU - it hasn't happened, the process hasn't even started and I frankly don't believe it ever will.

A week is a long time in politics.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 02.10.16 20:40

@Verdi wrote:
The result of a referendum calls for the UK to leave the EU - it hasn't happened, the process hasn't even started and I frankly don't believe it ever will.
Today is 2nd October 2016.

Theresa May has pushed out the trigger until March 31st at least.

So that's 6 months from now in which nothing will happen.

9 months after the referendum.

She's doing a good job.

For someone.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 02.10.16 21:24

@BlueBag wrote:
@Verdi wrote:
The result of a referendum calls for the UK to leave the EU - it hasn't happened, the process hasn't even started and I frankly don't believe it ever will.

She's doing a good job.

For someone.
This is why, I believe, Cameron resigned, so that he didn't have to "trigger" his promise for the next day? 
I have absolute zero confidence in the government, they all give me the chills!

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:13

“When that Act came into effect on 1 April 1974, that was the moment we lost our status as an independent country.”

Indeed.

"Thank you @ Nigel Farage for helping us to regain it"

Absolutely!

I hope against the odds we will regain it.

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:16

@BlueBag wrote:

She has all the tools she needs right now without Parliament.

The British people have already voted.

ARTICLE 50 NOW!

I side with ‘BlueBag’ on this.

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:20

@BlueBag wrote:Worrying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

The government will also enshrine all existing EU law into British law.

Why???

We need to get rid of a lot of it - especially the immigration law.

She has also promised a "Great Repeal Bill" in the next Queen's Speech, which will overturn the act that took the UK into the EU.

What if Parliament reject this bill, which I think the people on the gravy train will?

She didn't have to do this.

She already has a mandate.

She has opened the door to another debate about leaving or not to be decided by our "betters" this time - including the House of Lords.

“She already has a mandate.”

Precisely!

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:24

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Verdi wrote:Exclusive: Tories call for snap general election as polls show Theresa May would nearly quadruple Commons majority

1st October 2016

“We do NOT need another election!

We elect MPs to get on with the job.”

Concur.

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:27

@BlueBag wrote:I really think people are not getting it.

After the British people voted to leave the EU... MPs... the majority of which wanted to stay... are going to vote on the EU repeal bill?

There will be another stay/leave campaign with lots of debate and lobbying.... and MPs will decide.... and the British people won't have a say.

We are being suckered unless this is going to be an uncontested bill (fat chance).

Article 50 needs to be triggered, nothing more.

The British people have already voted to repeal the EU act by default.

“Article 50 needs to be triggered, nothing more.

The British people have already voted to repeal the EU act by default.”

Concur

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:33

@BlueBag wrote:
@Verdi wrote:

She's doing a good job.

For someone.

"She's doing a good job.

For someone"

Concur.

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Cadogan on 03.10.16 6:40

@MayMuse wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:
@Verdi wrote:

She's doing a good job.

For someone.
This is why, I believe, Cameron resigned, so that he didn't have to "trigger" his promise for the next day? 
I have absolute zero confidence in the government, they all give me the chills!

"This is why, I believe, Cameron resigned, so that he didn't have to "trigger" his promise for the next day?"

He wasn't "trigger"-happy, that's for sure!

Tony Cadogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum