The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

'Courageous' Kate McCann asks Sun readers to download 'I Hope' by Rick Astley and the Royal Mail Choir - 3 children already reunited with their families, thanks to the hit single

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 'Courageous' Kate McCann asks Sun readers to download 'I Hope' by Rick Astley and the Royal Mail Choir - 3 children already reunited with their families, thanks to the hit single

Post by Doug D on 01.06.16 10:51

Yes, News of the World, part of News International Group.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Courageous' Kate McCann asks Sun readers to download 'I Hope' by Rick Astley and the Royal Mail Choir - 3 children already reunited with their families, thanks to the hit single

Post by Judex on 01.06.16 11:12

@Doug D wrote:Yes, News of the World, part of News International Group.
I believe it was, in spite of their having publicly stated that any unused money would be shared out between children's charities, not given to a limited company without requesting the permission of those who donated in good faith!

Judex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.06.16 12:05

I'm still a bit confused about this News of the World reward business.  Normally a reward is money pledged, a promise - guarantee - agreement - commitment, only called on if the reward is to be payed out.  I'm assuming therefore that wealthy adherents to this case made their pledges to the News of the World through the auspices of a Rupert Murdoch contact.

If the reward offered comprised of public donations, that would then create a situation, as being implied here at the moment, of what to do with the reward if not claimed.  If a good-hearted citizen decided they wanted to help the McCanns with their search (that word again) financially, as many did, why not hand the cash over to the Find Madeleine Fund direct, rather than giving it to the News of the World?  I see no earthly reason why the Fund couldn't have put up a reward, after all that's what the fund was established for in the first place, to help the search for Madeleine - wasn't it?

I'm inclined to agree with sharonl, the case of Madeleine McCann was seen as a good publicity stunt for News International's ailing tabloid, aided and abetted by every man woman and beasts trusty friend - Rebekah Brooks.  I doubt if any money changed hands - just a paper exercise.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.06.16 12:41

Confirmation as to my point about the News of the World reward - if you can find it in your heart to believe anything the BBC says..

BBC News - 12th May 2007

Madeleine reward rises to £2.5m

Rewards totalling £2.5m have been offered to anyone who can help with information leading to the safe return of Madeleine McCann.

The News of the World and businessmen including Sir Richard Branson have jointly pledged £1.5m. Scottish tycoon Stephen Winyard has offered £1m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/6649951.stm

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judex on 01.06.16 13:03

@Verdi wrote:I'm still a bit confused about this News of the World reward business.  Normally a reward is money pledged, a promise - guarantee - agreement - commitment, only called on if the reward is to be payed out.  I'm assuming therefore that wealthy adherents to this case made their pledges to the News of the World through the auspices of a Rupert Murdoch contact.

If the reward offered comprised of public donations, that would then create a situation, as being implied here at the moment, of what to do with the reward if not claimed.  If a good-hearted citizen decided they wanted to help the McCanns with their search (that word again) financially, as many did, why not hand the cash over to the Find Madeleine Fund direct, rather than giving it to the News of the World?  I see no earthly reason why the Fund couldn't have put up a reward, after all that's what the fund was established for in the first place, to help the search for Madeleine - wasn't it?

I'm inclined to agree with sharonl, the case of Madeleine McCann was seen as a good publicity stunt for News International's ailing tabloid, aided and abetted by every man woman and beasts trusty friend - Rebekah Brooks.  I doubt if any money changed hands - just a paper exercise.
There exists a long, detailed and worrying account of the NOW 'reward' business here http://www.mccannfiles.com/id496.html

You are right, Verdi, that many large bigwig 'pledges' were made, to be called in when the time came. The time never came... nor did the bigwig pledges!
 I quote below from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6649951.stm   

Madeleine reward rises to £2.5m

Poster campaigns have begun in Portugal and the UK
Rewards totalling £2.5m have been offered to anyone who can help with information leading to the safe return of Madeleine McCann.
The News of the World and businessmen including Sir Richard Branson have jointly pledged £1.5m. Scottish tycoon Stephen Winyard has offered £1m.

Madeleine's fourth birthday has been marked in the UK and in Portugal, where she disappeared on 3 May.

But there were also real donations, hard cash sent in to NOW by the generous British public - the usual pensioners, schoolkids etc..  This sum amounted to over £21,000.
In April 2011 NOW/News International quietly gave the money to the Limited Company. Members of the public wrote to NI asking for clarification, given their public promise to donate any unused monies to children's charities. 

"The paper promised that if the reward remained unpaid for any reason, the portion made up of readers' donations [The other portion being made up of 'pledges'] would be shared equally by children's charities Barnado's, Childline and the NSPCC."

"Clarence Mitchell, official spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, was asked by email what had happened to the News of the World Reward Fund. He did not reply."

NI's reply - when they eventually condescended to give one - exists online; they casually said that they had decided that the best thing to do was to give it to the Limited Company, although, as you note Verdi, The Fund was not offering anyone a reward for anything. 
[color:3561=000000][size=13]"In December 2012, a News International executive wrote:[/size]

[color:3561=000000]'In April, 2011, after a considerable length of time had passed and taking into account the circumstances of the McCann family, it was agreed by senior executives at the News of the World that the £21,257.32 should be paid to Madeline's Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned.'
This caused some indignation at the time among donors, but they were, as usual, ignored, or maybe thought of as trolls for not wanting to help 'Find Madeleine.'  Read more at http://www.mccannfiles.com/id496.html

Judex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Judex on 01.06.16 13:24

I cannot resist adding this from 2014 http://www.mccannfiles.com/id496.html

"News UK say:
'...the decision taken to pass the money collected to Madeline's (sic) Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned was the right one, both ethically and morally, taking into account the difficulties and sensitivities surrounding this tragic matter.'

But questions remain. If News UK are happy that the correct ethical and moral decisions were made by their senior executives, why won't they identify them? Why, three years after paying out over £21,000, donated by readers as a reward for information leading to the safe return of Madeleine, have they yet to make any public acknowledgement of the payout or thank those who generously donated? Why didn't they inform the charities who missed out at the time of the payout?

And if News UK are telling the truth about handing over readers' cash – and there seems no reason to doubt them – why are the directors of Madeleine's Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned Ltd so unwilling to confirm the payment?

So what did happen to the 'reward money' donated by News of the World readers in 2007 and handed to the McCanns' company in April 2011?

One thing is clear: it wasn't used to search for Madeleine."   http://www.mccannfiles.com/id496.html 

Judex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 01.06.16 14:01

Apologies, I know we touched on this subject very recently on another thread - I wasn't ignoring your previous comments, I had to bog-off pronto.

Will read up on mccannfiles later.  thumbsup  If I ind anything else of interest I'll post on the other thread - if I can find it.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 01.06.16 19:12

Bringing this across from the other thread from the other day for clarity.

£21k was donated to the reward by ‘real’ people and was actual money. The rest was pledges, so never actually existed. This £21k was given to the fund and appears to have just been swallowed up in the general income/donations figure, which is just not right.

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t12572p25-missing-people-spot-the-missing-person#341188

http://mccannfiles.com/id496.html

Morally, even if not legally wrong, although it could well be.

It was set up as a reward fund for that crucial bit of evidence that leads the police to MM, together with the proviso that in the event that the reward cannot be paid for any reason, ‘the portion made up of readers donations will be shared equally by children’s charities Barnardos, Childline and NSPCC’.

Fair enough the NotW had to do something with the money and it could probably, legitimately have been paid to the Fund in trust, until such time as it could be paid out either as a reward for this ‘crucial bit of evidence’ or divided between the three stated charities.

However, as one or other of these options has to occur at some time in the future it should be showing as a ‘contingent liability’ in the fund accounts.

This has never been evident in the accounts and the money seems to have just been swallowed up into the general fund which is not right.

…………………………………………..

There are also dedicated threads at:

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t11588-news-of-the-world-reward-money?highlight=news+world

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t9721p10-news-of-the-world-gave-mccanns-reward-money-in-april-2011?highlight=naws+world+reward

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum on 01.06.16 21:44

Doesn't that mean that the directors of the Fund must set aside £21,000  as a moral duty so that if some-one comes forward with information about Madeleine and expecting to claim the reward, they will  divulge the essential information in good faith?

MOD NOTE
Would posters continue the reward discussion on one of the Reward threads.  Thank you.

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 01.06.16 23:13

I haven't been watching a lot of tv this week so I was wondering if anyone has seen Mrs. Ambassador yet on the sofa promoting this song?   Has it reached No. 1 yet?

There was a song at Christmas time raising money for NHS I think and that got to No. 1.  They were all over tv giving interviews and promoting the song.   With so many contacts I was just wondering why we haven't see Mrs. Ambassador yet (or have "we")?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 02.06.16 14:10

Thanks JeanM.   Not in top 100 yet, that's a shame really.   Now if I think if I were an ambassador for a charity and wanted to get it downloaded by millions, I would be hitting the airwaves and making guest appearances on sofas as often as possible. 

Does anybody here watch Bikini Babe Kelly's prog.  If so, has she been promoting it?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 02.06.16 14:26

@mysterion wrote:Half term holidays so Fionna has stepped in.

Is that 'the' Fiona 'i left my kids alone in hotel room, while i went to dinner, out of sight, and they got out and were running wild, and crying, around the hotel'?

'birds of a feather' and all 'that'!

'The' Fiona that was completely 'duped' by a mother, who 'presented' her 'ill' son, in a wheelchair, and Fiona 'gushed' over the mother's 'incredible dedication' and then gave her an 'award' on GMTV.?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8472655.stm

'A cruel mother that wanted to lead a celebrity life'

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Cruel-mother-healthy-son-sickest-child-Britain/story-11379648-detail/story.html

'The' Fiona 'Lisa Hayden-Johnson never fooled ME, for a single second'!

'THAT'............Fiona.............ardent McCan't 'supporter'!

Gotcha!.................'THAT' Fiona!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 02.06.16 14:31

@mysterion wrote:Half term holidays so Fionna has stepped in.
Thanks mysterion.    Fiona is something to do with Postcode Lottery and they support Missing People.    All these connections but doesn't appear to be much advertising of this single on tv, other than the report mentioned in the OP.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 02.06.16 17:29

Just a 'thought'

Would the download of the song have been vastly 'improved' if KM had NOT been, was NOT 'associated' with it?

Given that the vast, vast, MAJORITY, of the British 'public' don't, judging by the 'comments' in the UK press, 'believe' a word she says, about almost anything, would the 'download' have been a lot more successful without her 'input'.

And wouldn't that all be a little unfair on the 'choir and others' who, members/mothers of which, i imagine, also don't believe her 'story' about Madeleine?

Just 'thinking'.

Still, as a mother to Madeleine, she did say 'we were GLAD the investigation (into Madeleine's disappearance) WAS CLOSED'.

I wonder what other missing people 'choir' members 'think' of that!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 02.06.16 21:30

Fiona P. also does the adverts for Postcode Lottery.   Someone posted last week that Kelly is an ambassador for MP, but she is not on that list aquila has posted.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 02.06.16 21:32

@plebgate wrote:Fiona P. also does the adverts for Postcode Lottery.   Someone posted last week that Kelly is an ambassador for MP, but she is not on that list aquila has posted.
Lorraine Kelly is a patron of Missing People.

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-patrons.html

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 02.06.16 21:39

Thanks aquila.   So quite a few news readers and presenters both past and present associated with MP either as Patrons  or Ambassador.

It surprises me even more now that this single hasn't had more tv coverage,  I can't help but wonder why?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 02.06.16 21:39

@plebgate wrote:Fiona P. also does the adverts for Postcode Lottery.   Someone posted last week that Kelly is an ambassador for MP, but she is not on that list aquila has posted.

Lorraine Kelly is a patron  http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are/our-patrons.html

Fiona Phillips is an ambassador and The Postcode lottery is a funder  http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/home/our-funders-page.html

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 03.06.16 0:04

When KM was 'feted and lauded' as an Embarrassador for the MP 'charidy' thousands and thousands of people stopped 'donating/giving' to that 'charidy'.

How did a mother, whose child disappeared in 'mysterious' circumstances, a mother who refused to co-operate with police, to the point of jeopardisation of the investigation, a mother who, along with her 'friends', refused to do a 'reconstruction' of the 'event', EVER become an embarrassador for 'missing' people, they 'asked'.

KM 'enjoys' the 'privileges' of Missing People 'jollies', 'posh hotel do's', 'fund raising' for her own 'benefit' (private limited company, Madeleine's fund) which many other parents of real 'missing' people do NOT get to 'enjoy'. No 'rubbing' shoulders with Huge Grant, Home Secretaries, for THEM!

Whenever MP 'pronounce' an initiative, and 'wheel out' KM, the general 'consensus' from the British public is 'OMG, not her, again!'

Almost an instant 'fail'!

People just 'don't like her', imo, she's not Miss Popular.

MP might like to try a 'fund raising' without their 'Embarrassador' being mentioned at all!

Just a 'suggestion'!

KM is 'driving' people AWAY from the MP 'charidy' in 'droves'.

Which 'might' explain why MP 'charidy' is running at a 'loss' for the second year running!

(Although, miraculously, they 'managed' to raise enough 'money' to pay ALL staff 'wages and salaries, pension, and social security costs')

The 'total' of which was £1,821,297. an 'increase' on last year's 'wage' bill of £109,631. (Last year's wage 'bill' was £1,711,666.)

'IT'S A 'KM' MIRACLE!' declared JY.

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 05.06.16 12:53

Have they published the names of these "missing" who were reunited with their families? Have there been any "articles" which I'm sure MSM were clambering to get so that they could increase sales awareness of how this particular "single"  ( and charity) "brings 'em home"? 

Nope
Nada
Nothing
Didn't think so!
spin

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: