The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

McCanns appealing to Supreme Court

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: McCanns appealing to Supreme Court

Post by MayMuse on 25.05.16 16:33

@Joss I think this is the first one, where it all begin but someone who understands it better can probably explain as I get totally confused with all the "shenanigans" back and forth?

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cakefan64 on 25.05.16 16:34

They don't appeal to me!  Sorry I couldn't resist that , seeing the title. big grin  Seriously though, best wishes to Dr Amaral.

Cakefan64

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 25.05.16 16:38

@Equity wrote:I don't think the McCann's stand a chance...

...especially as the President of the Supreme Court is called Gaspar. 

big grin
That's bizarre.  If it wasn't so serious I would laugh at the irony of it.

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 25.05.16 16:40

@Equity wrote:
@melisande wrote:It's significant that they are not appealing the material facts but trying the legal angle. That says everythIng.

The Supreme Court only considers legal matters - unless the Portuguese President or Prime Minister is on trial.
I didn't know that. Thanks

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 16:49

@Joss wrote:This case was already appealed to the Supreme Court in 2010. Color me confused.

10 November 2010

McCanns appeal to the Supreme Court to forbid Gonçalo Amaral’s book

The McCann couple has appealed to the Supreme Court of Justice against the Appellate Court’s decision to overturn the ban on the sales of Gonçalo Amaral’s book “Maddie – The Truth of the Lie”, the lawyer that represents the parents of the child that went missing in the Algarve said today.

Isabel Duarte, lawyer to Gerry and Kate McCann, who were in Lisbon today, asserted that the appeal was delivered at the Supreme Court of Justice on the 5th of November, requesting the Appellate Court of Lisbon’s decision dated October 19 to be annulled.
http://joana-morais.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/mccanns-appeal-to-supreme-court-to.html
It's what's known as history repeating itself - a frequent occurance where the McCanns are concerned.  Will they ever learn?  Nah I don't think so.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 16:51

@Patience wrote:I have a family member asking me how long it will take before we know if the Appeal will go ahead.

Does anyone know the answer?
Patience is a virtue Patience big grin .

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Patience on 25.05.16 17:03

Indeed it is, Verdi!  yes

So relieved I didn't use the moniker Grace now........   tease

Patience

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss on 25.05.16 17:04

@Verdi wrote:
@Joss wrote:This case was already appealed to the Supreme Court in 2010. Color me confused.

10 November 2010

McCanns appeal to the Supreme Court to forbid Gonçalo Amaral’s book

The McCann couple has appealed to the Supreme Court of Justice against the Appellate Court’s decision to overturn the ban on the sales of Gonçalo Amaral’s book “Maddie – The Truth of the Lie”, the lawyer that represents the parents of the child that went missing in the Algarve said today.

Isabel Duarte, lawyer to Gerry and Kate McCann, who were in Lisbon today, asserted that the appeal was delivered at the Supreme Court of Justice on the 5th of November, requesting the Appellate Court of Lisbon’s decision dated October 19 to be annulled.
http://joana-morais.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/mccanns-appeal-to-supreme-court-to.html
It's what's known as history repeating itself - a frequent occurance where the McCanns are concerned.  Will they ever learn?  Nah I don't think so.
Yep, Wash, Rinse, repeat the McC modus operandi.

Joss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss on 25.05.16 17:10

@MayMuse wrote:@Joss I think this is the first one, where it all begin but someone who understands it better can probably explain as I get totally confused with all the "shenanigans" back and forth?
You are not alone with that MM, it is a tangled web for sure.

Joss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuspiciousMinds on 25.05.16 18:58

"A material issue is a question that is in dispute between two parties involved in litigation, and that must be answered in order for the conflict to be resolved."

So that means the whole question of what happened to Madeleine and the veracity of the different theories is to be ignored. It doesn't matter who said what or when, or whether the book was written before the files were published, or whether the McCanns were distressed by the book, or whether the search was damaged - that's all been settled and Amaral won. Am I OK on that?

So if it's a legal position... what could the arguments be? If it's another fight over whether Amaral's right to free speech should trump the McCanns' right to reputation, surely the Supreme Court have ruled on that already once before when they quashed the book ban - would that get taken into account when deciding whether to dismiss the new appeal?

Could it be something to do with the judge that the McCanns tried to get removed from the case? Isabel Duarte did mention the judge when she gave her opinion on the result of the appeal. But then if they spent two months arguing for her to be removed and failed, surely that argument has already been made and lost.

Actually, Isabel Duarte also said that the appeal decision was "an appreciation of the law and not the facts". So if the Supreme Court only considers the law and not the facts, then surely dear Isabel doesn't have a leg to stand on?!

SuspiciousMinds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.16 19:14

The parents are obviously not considering the effects of their ongoing litigation on the twins.

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 25.05.16 19:20

@SuspiciousMinds wrote:"A material issue is a question that is in dispute between two parties involved in litigation, and that must be answered in order for the conflict to be resolved."

So that means the whole question of what happened to Madeleine and the veracity of the different theories is to be ignored. It doesn't matter who said what or when, or whether the book was written before the files were published, or whether the McCanns were distressed by the book, or whether the search was damaged - that's all been settled and Amaral won. Am I OK on that?

So if it's a legal position... what could the arguments be? If it's another fight over whether Amaral's right to free speech should trump the McCanns' right to reputation, surely the Supreme Court have ruled on that already once before when they quashed the book ban - would that get taken into account when deciding whether to dismiss the new appeal?

Could it be something to do with the judge that the McCanns tried to get removed from the case? Isabel Duarte did mention the judge when she gave her opinion on the result of the appeal. But then if they spent two months arguing for her to be removed and failed, surely that argument has already been made and lost.

Actually, Isabel Duarte also said that the appeal decision was "an appreciation of the law and not the facts". So if the Supreme Court only considers the law and not the facts, then surely dear Isabel doesn't have a leg to stand on?!
Thanks for explanation , so what would the facts be? 
So it went like this... 
Ban
Not Ban
Or was it the other way around? 
Then "damages" for 1.2M which they lost? 
Counter appeal?
Is that right?

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer on 25.05.16 19:33

You beat me to it Ladyinred . The twins are fast approaching the age when parents are embarrassing school mates will surely read newspapers and the internet even if the twins have parental controls put on them . Sadly bullying is around both in and out of school these thoughtless parents are putting their children at risk , the mental health of young people of their vulnerable age is a constant worry . Having parents who are constantly plastered over the media not always in a good way makes me worry deeply for them

sandancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.16 19:41

@sandancer.  Yes, I was also thinking that the parents have been increasingly using the twins recently to quash any criticism of them or challenges to the official narrative.

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 25.05.16 19:46

@sandancer wrote:You beat me to it Ladyinred . The twins are fast approaching the age when parents are embarrassing school mates will surely read newspapers and the internet even if the twins have parental controls put on them . Sadly bullying is around both in and out of school these thoughtless parents are putting their children at risk , the mental health of young people of their vulnerable age is a constant worry . Having parents who are constantly plastered over the media not always in a good way makes me worry deeply for them
Not just school...
Little children have big ears as the saying goes. 
Other parents/people with children talk and their children could over hear & then pass it on?  
Like wise, whose to say the twins haven't overheard conversations? 
If the McCanns are that concerned for their "well-being" regarding "hearing or learning" of things said about the situation, would it not make sense to stop the carry on and concentrate on a true happy family life for the twins sake?  

More than deeply sorry for Sean & Amelie @sandancer
and even more so for Madeleine.

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.16 19:58

Even if children don't overhear conversations in the home or other places, they will pick up and absorb tension, lies and pretence.  A toxic environment for a child's well-being, and potentially damaging in the long-term.

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 20:01

@Patience wrote:Indeed it is, Verdi!  yes

So relieved I didn't use the moniker Grace now........   tease
So am I believe me - genuflexion plays havoc with the knees one you pass the ripe old age of, what shall we say - 30'ish?

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmaryholmes on 25.05.16 20:01

The more the Mccanns try to silence Goncallo Amaral, the more obvious it becomes that they have something to hide. If they cared at all about their two remaining children they would want to disappear into obscurity having got away with whatever.

Cmaryholmes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 25.05.16 20:10

Exactly spot on! 
Why do they not do this? 
It's all about "winning" and "believe us" and "fund is low" and "hurt feelings"and wanting others to "feel fear" ???? 
What about the children's feelings? 
What about the "truth"? 
What about Madeleine? 
From what I have seen, they know Madeleine is not "hurting", they know she is safe in the hands of God. Which is why nothing of this makes any sense. 
It is all a pretence for the World to follow. 
Like I said on another thread... It's the "McCann Show" 

Diabolical 
IMO

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 20:17

@SuspiciousMinds wrote:"A material issue is a question that is in dispute between two parties involved in litigation, and that must be answered in order for the conflict to be resolved."

Well said! 

That one sentence is very telling indeed.  As has been repeatedly highlighted, the McCanns used the press from the beginning to their advantage (despite initially being told by the PJ not to involve the press).   By so doing the McCanns wrecked their own reputations, not only within the UK but across the globe - it wasn't Goncalo Amaral, the deed was accomplished by their own fair hands.

As most people with an ounce of savvy now realise, Dr. Amaral's book was based on the investigation, it was published around the same time as the case was archived in Portugal - days/hours before or after is immaterial.  How can Dr. Amaral be fairly brought to task for effectively reporting information that accords with the official Portuguese investigation during the period of his involvement.

It's beyond a joke - the law is an ass.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 25.05.16 20:25

European Courts of Human Rights is next on the list.i

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 20:29

@Cmaryholmes wrote:The more the Mccanns try to silence Goncallo Amaral, the more obvious it becomes that they have something to hide. If they cared at all about their two remaining children they would want to disappear into obscurity having got away with whatever.
Indirectly they've done themselves a mamoth injustice and Dr. Amaral a sort of favour.  If they'd just behaved themselves and kept out of the limelight, no one would have been aware of the name Goncalo Amaral - even less his book, The Truth of the Lie.

Every cloud 'n all that..

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 25.05.16 20:31

@BlueBag wrote:European Courts of Human Rights is next on the list.i
Human rights have to be earned - it's not God given.  You must therefore be talking of Goncalo Amaral high5 !

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer on 25.05.16 20:34

I've been thinking about Yvonne Martin the social worker who came to offer her help on the morning of the4th and was quickly dismissed.I wonder what she thinks and feels about Madeleine and the twins and if she had ever made her concerns know to social services.I did a quick search and found that she worked in the North East infact in the town I live in!

sandancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory on 25.05.16 23:31

The reasons behind the cover up are clearly serious. The McCanns have to keep appealing in order to preserve the status quo so as to save the skins of their puppet masters. Money will be available and channelled into the special fund in order to prolong the charade in the courts. The extended charade buys time, both in terms of those who need to distance themselves from the Mcs and also in finding a court that may sympathise with the Mcs argument.

Rogue-a-Tory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum