The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Daily Mail - article MUST READ: Web trolls raise £50,000 for the Portuguese detective who wrote a book claiming the McCanns killed their daughter Madeleine - and even British police donated

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Daily Mail - article MUST READ: Web trolls raise £50,000 for the Portuguese detective who wrote a book claiming the McCanns killed their daughter Madeleine - and even British police donated

Post by Bishop Brennan on 14.05.16 7:14

@MayMuse wrote:The U.K. Press have never reported fairly or correctly have they? Not even for Madeleine! 
I just hope GA and his team are keeping a very close eye on their reporting, they cannot get away with this any longer ...

Well, sadly the UK media have been getting away with insulting Amaral, the PJ, and any of their supporters for about 9 years now. It's hard to see that changing any time soon.

As GM and KM have found out, trying to sue somebody in another country is expensive, slow and fraught with risk. Amaral will be frustrated by the continued insults and 'errors' but probably wise enough to ignore it. Luckily for him he's not seeing it on the newstands every day, and the Portuguese press is generally supportive of him, his theory and most importantly his right to talk about it.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Mail - article MUST READ: Web trolls raise £50,000 for the Portuguese detective who wrote a book claiming the McCanns killed their daughter Madeleine - and even British police donated

Post by Carrry On Doctor on 14.05.16 7:25

The inaccuracies are frustrating, particularly the reference to the couple having been cleared of any wrongdoing. However, 2 main messages come out of this;

1. The title of the article confirms officers in the MET think TM's are guilty, perhaps giving the message that a whitewash will be 'problematic'.
2. The overall tone of the article seems to be less pro McCann, and more neutral. The pendulum does seem to be 'swinging' in the right direction.

Really pleased about references to Tony who has been so maligned.

Carrry On Doctor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 14.05.16 9:39

Here we go again, the article says Amaral was sacked, and that he accused the McCanns of murdering their daughter.

Outrageously inaccurate reporting by David Millwood!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loopzdaloop on 14.05.16 10:34

Given they've posted a very glamorous picture of Leanne Baulch and nice friendly pictures of Anne-Kristine Westwood and Karen Laverick, 
(as opposed to when they normally wish to do a hatchet job, find the worst photograph ever) I'm not sure the purpose of this article. 
They posted the information about the police officers who donated along with the statement - but this is a really old story. Why now? 
I'm sure it will increase the people reading the book.

loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 14.05.16 10:38

@Bishop Brennan wrote:I'm not so sure this signals a tide-change. It is a more balanced piece certainly, but the balance is still pro McCann.  The most telling 'error' in the article is in the headline (repeated within the article):

"Web trolls raise £50,000 for the Portuguese detective who wrote a book claiming the McCanns killed their daughter Madeleine"

This as we all know is not at all what Amaral wrote. He believed it to be an accident of some sort.  I get the feeling that the obvious and repeated inaccuracy is aimed at devaluing his entire theory.  Few in the UK are ever going to be believe that Kate or Gerry murdered their daughter. And if they believe this to be Amaral's view, then his entire theory may be discarded in their minds.  

Headlines are what people remember - and note that it is a headline that is repeated by the Telegraph who go further in the detailed story:  "In his book, The Truth of The Lie, Mr Amaral accused the McCanns of murdering their daughter and faking her abduction."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/14/uk-internet-trolls-raise-over-50000-in-donations-to-help-portugu/?

So - yes, there is some more balance in the text itself, but perhaps the article aims to undermine Amaral and his supporters - just in a more subtle manner.

Yes headlines are what people remember I agree with that....but what if they 'accidentally on purpose' reported Amaral's theory being one of 'murder' just so they can actually write that for the first time in the Uk media?  They could be using Amaral as a kind of shield to hide behind, they can't say it outright but they can 'mis - report' it.  What if the press have knowledeg that the McCann's are running out of legal funds and this is a tentative step to writing what they have wanted to? 

I was suprised at how balanced this article was, actually letting Tony B and others actually have their say instead of just being slated?   The 'McCanns were cleared' and the juvenile usage of the 'Troll' label are stubborn little buggers though. I expect a nice unbiased interview with Amaral next please DM  big grin

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 14.05.16 11:08

@ChippyM wrote: I was suprised at how balanced this article was, actually letting Tony B and others actually have their say instead of just being slated?   The 'McCanns were cleared' and the juvenile usage of the 'Troll' label are stubborn little buggers though. I expect a nice unbiased interview with Amaral next please DM  big grin
Tony wasn't contacted to "have his say" - his comments would have been lifted from here: http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/_gafundComments.htm

Most journalists who write about the McCanns are well aware of Tony.

Tony is more interested in contacting people like David Cameron these days!
http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t12739-reasons-why-the-public-need-a-report-on-operation-grange-the-letter-handed-in-to-prime-minister-david-cameron-on-29-april-2016-in-support-of-the-petition

Get'emGonçalo

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 14.05.16 11:13

@Get'emGonçalo wrote:
@ChippyM wrote: I was suprised at how balanced this article was, actually letting Tony B and others actually have their say instead of just being slated?   The 'McCanns were cleared' and the juvenile usage of the 'Troll' label are stubborn little buggers though. I expect a nice unbiased interview with Amaral next please DM  big grin
Tony wasn't contacted to "have his say" - his comments would have been lifted from here: http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/_gafundComments.htm

Most journalists who write about the McCanns are well aware of Tony.

Tony is more interested in contacting people like David Cameron these days!
http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t12739-reasons-why-the-public-need-a-report-on-operation-grange-the-letter-handed-in-to-prime-minister-david-cameron-on-29-april-2016-in-support-of-the-petition

I meant in a general sense, they printed something reasonable instead of just attacking him, so it's more having his say than anything written previously.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dottyaussie on 14.05.16 11:13

And also the comment in the article about the police officers donation was talked ALOT about in the comments section of the last article about the fund when people were outraged about the use of the term 'trolls'

dottyaussie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 14.05.16 11:38

Lest they forget..

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 14.05.16 12:04

Troll Busters Inc..

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 14.05.16 12:23

This latest flurry of press reports is reminiscent of the good old days, when the McCanns were at their finest - especially high days holidays and bonfire nights.  Hardly a weekend passed without exclusive headlines of the McCanns latest adventures - eat yer heart out Enid Blyton, there's serious competition going on here.

I''m not liking this at all, they've played out all their cards, there's nothing left but to get down and dirty.  This weekends reporting seems to me to be more of a naming and shaming exercise than an awards ceremony.  Naming specific individuals, most probably without authority, is not good.  Whenever I see negative comments about Mr. Bennett, it's invariably T*** B****** (or some childish name calling) of H*****, E**** and now the UK press are doing the same.  Tony's address I know is no secret but that doesn't give the gutter press carte blanche to  splash it across the headlines.

I have never seen any proof that the substantial anonymous donation to Dr. Amaral's funding was from the UK police.  It could have been an ex-cop (:-)) going round the local boozer with a collection tin or it could have been a well wisher trying to make a point.  Secretly I hope it was the police - even better Operation Grange..

glee

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 14.05.16 12:25

@BarryTheHatchet wrote:Maybe she'll update her documentary. Mrs
Who?  What?  Where?  When?

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 14.05.16 13:16

The newspapers are just stirring the debate in the Uk. More debate, more publicity, more interest in the case, more newspapers sold.

This is very bad news for the McCanns, particularly the report that Uk police officers, likely to know something about the case, have donated to the fund.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 14.05.16 13:28

I agree Suzy. It's been written in such a way as not to criticize the mccanns but at the same time making the public aware of the background story.  About time too.

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 14.05.16 13:48

@melisande wrote:I agree Suzy. It's been written in such a way as not to criticize the mccanns but at the same time making the public aware of the background story.  About time too.

I see what people are saying, but there's no reason to use the word 'murder' instead of 'accidentally killed' unless there's intent to mislead.  This is classic 'pro' speak to discredit GA and those who believe him (imo), and no matter how many times this misinformation has been corrected over the years, they still keep bringing it back to the fore

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BarryTheHatchet on 14.05.16 13:51

Also no need to keep repeating the mantra that "the parents have been cleared of all wrongdoing" when it's patently untrue.

BarryTheHatchet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 14.05.16 13:52

@BarryTheHatchet wrote:Also no need to keep repeating the mantra that "the parents have been cleared of all wrongdoing" when it's patently untrue.
Exactly!

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 14.05.16 13:57

@pennylane wrote:
@melisande wrote:I agree Suzy. It's been written in such a way as not to criticize the mccanns but at the same time making the public aware of the background story.  About time too.

I see what people are saying, but there's no reason to use the word 'murder' instead of 'accidentally killed' unless there's intent to mislead.  This is classic 'pro' speak to discredit GA and those who believe him (imo), and no matter how many times this misinformation has been corrected over the years, they still keep bringing it back to the fore
Hmmm what if it was murder or manslaughter? Maybe there is a reason for the press 'misinformation'. Personally, if I was reading that headline I would be inclined to find out more about the case rather than a headline that said it was an accident gone wrong. As someone else said, it's the headlines that attract people's attention.

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 14.05.16 14:08

@melisande wrote:
@pennylane wrote:

Hmmm what if it was murder? Maybe there is a reason for the press information. Personally, if I was reading that headline I would be inclined to find out more about the case rather than a headline that said it was an accident gone wrong. As someone else said, it's the headlines that attract people's attention.

Surely you have to ask yourself why some simple facts are consistently ignored though melisande.  Also why the 'pros' keep regurgitating the lie that Amaral says the Mc's murdered Madeleine, when he says no such thing.   imo it's because it sounds less credible to the masses.   I'm not saying they're succeeding in deflecting these days, I'm merely saying the attempts to spin away the facts are still very prevalent.

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 14.05.16 14:29

Good point Melisande. 'Murder' catches attention to the story below

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 14.05.16 14:29

I am not saying I agree with it but it's always been that way with newspapers. The more embroidered the headline , the more interest it generates.  They are setting themselves up for being sued by Dr Amaral though unless they can prove they were misinformed themselves.  My opinion is that it is deliberate misinformation but I don't think it's to put Dr Amaral in a bad light. I just have a feeling about it, I don't know why.

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 14.05.16 14:47

I think it's deliberate, they can say Amaral thinks they killed her and hide behind that and not get sued. The bit about the McCanns being cleared is sheer laziness and arrogance. they can't be bothered researching another countries legal system and just repeat what has been reported before, most media just repeats what has been said before.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum