The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Appeal in favour of Gonçalo Amaral

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Appeal in favour of Gonçalo Amaral

Post by SixMillionQuid on 19.04.16 20:02

I haven't posted in while but this is the best news I've heard in ages big grin 

I'm sure the McCann's rich friends can all chip in and pay for the costs.

"It is my belief that Scotland Yard was set out on a mission, not one to find out what happened to Madeleine McCann but to rewrite the history of the case in such a way that the majority of the public simply forgets the past." - The Pat Brown Criminal Profiling Agency

SixMillionQuid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 19.04.16 20:03

Any bets on the number of UK papers carrying this on the front page tomorrow?

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer on 19.04.16 20:16

Oh WOW . Having had what seems to be nothing but bad news lately on a personal level this has really lifted my spirits  Mrs

Dr Amaral you are a hero , you make us proud .

Many have continued to whisper for truth and justice for Madeleine , Many have continued to Shout for truth and Justice for Madeleine ( the good folk on this forum ) 

You Sir have continued to roar like a lion for a little girl who never got to taste life ; and for her brother and sister who live with this hanging over their heads .

I wish Peace , blessings and light on you and your family . 

( Dare I say I feel "buoyed up " by this !)    laughat

sandancer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 19.04.16 20:17

As others have said above - haven't posted in a while but keep a close watch - but today just had to say:-

CONGRATULATIONS GONZALO - You can't keep a good guy down - justice well & truly served. 

Certainly made my day and it looks as if - going by the Daily Mail Comments - a few other peoples too!

Proof again - as if it were needed - that the Newspaper headlines yesterday were only to bury bad news for Team Mccann - so predictable!!!

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Pandora on 19.04.16 20:41

Fantastic news. If book is published in the UK the MSM will not be able to contain this any longer. People will buy and read it and it will never be possible to cover up the facts ever again once the counter arguments and evidence is out there for everyone to digest and ponder. . I hope it gets published and any further appeals are quashed. I will certainly buy it.

Miss Pandora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 19.04.16 20:44

@Get'emGonçalo wrote:Welcome back old timers! roses

Thank you :)

And I am also very pleased to hear Mr Amaral's news today :)

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougall on 19.04.16 20:49

Another old-timer here.

Congratulations Mr. Amaral. I hope you can find some comfort in this ruling, and some happiness in your life.

I'm hoping for an English version of the book. I'm definitely buying a copy, even though I've read the online translation.

Dougall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 19.04.16 20:51

I bet the McCanns are absolutely furious.

Irrespective of whether or not Amaral is correct in his theory, they shouldn't have pursued him through the courts the way they have. 

Ironically, every time they try to shut someone up it always results in more negative publicity for them.

And Clarence isn't even available for comment.

I bet there's a fair bit of shouting and kicking of walls going on just now.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jack dexter on 19.04.16 20:55

Been away for a while as I got disillusioned with the whole thing but this is great news.
I find it tricky to understand something and yesterday thought that the papers were just building up for the 9th anniversary and little else to print like the Diana stories. The news in the papers yesterday does little for the Macs today so what was the point? 
 Did they believe they would win today and be on a massive roll and the search / endless money goes on until the whitewash is complete.

jack dexter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 19.04.16 20:56

@BlueBag wrote:

@ Blue Bag

You missed out the reaction of the McCann Team and their supporters:

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 19.04.16 20:56

Really hoping it will be published.
I and many others will buy as many copies as we can,  and leave them on buses, trains, tubes - everywhere.

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 19.04.16 21:03

@Praiaaa wrote:Really hoping it will be published.
I and many others will buy as many copies as we can,  and leave them on buses, trains, tubes - everywhere.
Yes, if we all bought a few copies it would certainly help Snr Amaral get his life back on track.

It's what he deserves.

Get'emGonçalo

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by woodpecker on 19.04.16 21:07

A happy day!

I hope other members are, like me, enjoying a glass or two of Portuguese wine to celebrate Sr Amaral's deserved victory.

I hope Katie Hopkins can get the McCanns on her couch to discuss how they feel about the verdict.......

woodpecker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 19.04.16 21:07

Superb news today! Many congratulations Mr Amaral  Mrs

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 19.04.16 21:16

Get'emGonçalo

Back to top Go down

Post by HKP on 19.04.16 21:24

Great news, lets hope this is the end of GA‘s visits to the civil courts, hopefully next visit will be to criminal one as a prosecution witness!

HKP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TMH on 19.04.16 21:25

I'm so so pleased!!!  Mrs Well done Goncalo! Can't wait for the book to be published even though I've read it on line a few times. 

Bad luck team McCann, as the saying goes - “Greed is a fat demon with a small mouth and whatever you feed it is never enough.”  Wink

TMH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whodunit on 19.04.16 21:32

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:

@ Blue Bag

You missed out the reaction of the McCann Team and their supporters:

Losing this appeal isn't a very good marketing ploy. On the other hand, losing a kid...

whodunit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 19.04.16 21:34

Certainly turned out to be V-Day for Mr. Amaral..

The other way round for the other lot.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail story tonight

Post by Tony Bennett on 19.04.16 21:42

The Daily Mail looks to be leading the way at the moment with this - on the online edition:

========================= 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3547951/Portuguese-detective-WINS-appeal-against-libel-defeat-Madeleine-McCann-s-parents-NOT-pay-500-000-damages.html

Portuguese detective WINS his appeal against £395,000 libel defeat to Madeleine McCann's parents - paving the way for his book ‘The Truth of the Lie’ to be sold again 

• Goncalo Amaral accused Madeleine's parents of faking her abduction

• He was ordered to pay £395,000 in damages after losing his libel battle 

• But today Amaral posted copy of judgement overturning original decision

• McCanns lawyer 'disappointed' and vows to appeal to the Supreme Court

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxyroo on 19.04.16 21:45

Scottish sun says Clarence Mitchell not available for comment! Well that's a first!!

Roxyroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whodunit on 19.04.16 21:46

What's changed? Comments never used to be allowed on articles about the McCanns.

whodunit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 19.04.16 21:47

@Tony Bennett wrote:

The Daily Mail looks to be leading the way at the moment with this - on the online edition:

========================= 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3547951/Portuguese-detective-WINS-appeal-against-libel-defeat-Madeleine-McCann-s-parents-NOT-pay-500-000-damages.html

Portuguese detective WINS his appeal against £395,000 libel defeat to Madeleine McCann's parents - paving the way for his book ‘The Truth of the Lie’ to be sold again 

• Goncalo Amaral accused Madeleine's parents of faking her abduction

• He was ordered to pay £395,000 in damages after losing his libel battle 

• But today Amaral posted copy of judgement overturning original decision

• McCanns lawyer 'disappointed' and vows to appeal to the Supreme Court

18,253 people have googled the book today and found my blog  http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.co.uk/

Get'emGonçalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 19.04.16 21:51

Meanwhile the Daily Telegraph is carrying this story:

Telegraph Reporters 

19 April 2016 • 4:29pm

Goncalo Amaral has won his appeal over a court libel loss against Madeleine McCann's parents, it was being reported on Tuesday.

Emerging reports said three appeal judges had ruled in his favour.

The former Portuguese police chief was ordered to pay Kate and Gerry McCann half a million euros in libel damages (£394,000) in April last year after accusing them of faking their daughter's abduction.

[PIC: Former judiciary police inspector Goncalo Amaral  Credit: Jose Sena Goulao/EPA]

He confirmed the following month he would appeal.

The ex-detective lost his long-running libel battle over his controversial 2008 book claiming the McCanns had faked missing daughter Madeleine's abduction after she died in their Algarve holiday apartment.

Amaral was also ordered to pay interest after a Lisbon judge ruled he had overstepped freedom of speech limits in The Truth of the Lie.

The McCanns announced after the verdict they would plough "every penny" of the payout into the hunt for their daughter, three when she vanished on May 3 2007.

Amaral's appeal thwarted their hopes of spending the money.

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for the McCanns, was unavailable this afternoon/yesterday afternoon

Isabel Duarte, the Portuguese lawyer who represented the couple over the libel case, confirmed she had learned of the appeal decision in Amaral’s favour and said she was “disappointed” but not surprised.

She said Madeleine’s parents had instructed her to launch an appeal of their own which will be decided by Portugal’s Supreme Court.

She confirmed: “I have just learnt that the three appeal court judges have decided to overturn the original decision in favour of my clients. It was a unanimous decision. The original decision has been revoked.

“I and the McCanns are obviously disappointed but I am not surprised because one of the judges ruled in favour of a previous appeal overturning a ban on the book.

[PIC: Kate and Gerry McCann outside the libel proceedings in 2014 Credit: Patricia De Mel Moreira/AFP]

“This decision was an appreciation of the law and not the facts. We can appeal to the Supreme Court which we will do as we have instructions from our clients.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/madeleine-mccann-portuguese-detective-wins-appeal-against-order/

====================

ETA:

Global Post and Agence France-Presse have just put up this story:

Portugal ex-cop wins appeal in Maddie McCann libel case

A Portuguese ex-policeman who headed the probe into the disappearance of British toddler Madeleine McCann has won his appeal in a libel battle with her parents, overturning a verdict that saw him ordered to pay out huge damages, the court said Tuesday.

Kate and Gerry McCann sued Goncalo Amaral over his 2008 book "The Truth of the Lie," in which he accused the couple of concealing the body of their daughter after she died accidentally.

In April 2015, Amaral was ordered to pay the parents 250,000 euros ($284,000) each in damages, plus interest in excess of 100,000 euros.

The couple plan to challenge the latest ruling, which was issued last Thursday by the Lisbon appeals court, their lawyer Isabel Duarte said.

The court ruled that Amaral had exercised "legitimate freedom of expression" and that the McCanns had to accept limits on their privacy after they had launched an international media campaign to find their daughter, TVI television reported.

Madeleine disappeared from her room on May 3, 2007, just days before her fourth birthday, in the small seaside resort of Praia da Luz in southern Portugal where the family were on vacation.

After 14 months of controversial investigations -- which saw Madeleine's parents investigated and Amaral sacked -- Portuguese police closed the case in 2008 before reopening it five years later.

British police opened their own inquiry in July 2013, but on-site excavations in Praia da Luz yielded no evidence and Scotland Yard has since sharply reduced the number of investigators working on the case.

tsc/kjl/ri

Copyright 2016 © Agence France-Presse

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum