The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Appeal in favour of Gonçalo Amaral

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Appeal in favour of Gonçalo Amaral

Post by loopzdaloop on 20.04.16 0:46

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Bishop Brennan wrote:
Is this why there was blanket coverage in today's British mainstream press headlining Operation Grange's claim that 'we have reasonable grounds for thinking that Madeleine may still be alive?   
Yes - it looks like the MET were tipped off in advance to permit them to plant these stories as part of the official UK 'whitewash' line - indeed to strengthen it with the headline "she may still be alive" (rather than the traditional - "we don't know what happened but it defo wasn't the McCanns") 
I fully agree with your analysis.

But surely the Met Police's job here is to investigate a crime? - not arrange hasty press briefings because their analysis of the case suddenly looks wrong?

Softly Softly catch a monkey.
They will now have the Mccann's on side.

loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 20.04.16 0:57

I am just reading the comments in the Daily Mail tonight, this is really not good news at all for the McCanns.

The genie is right out of the bottle.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 20.04.16 1:39

The Genie, I think is hiding in the 'cave' Wink

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 20.04.16 3:12

I'm on the DM's naughty list. I tried 3 comments from flatout the truth until very softy. Non of them is published censored

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 20.04.16 3:33

@Mirage wrote:I am abso-lute-ly bloody over the moon. It has made my day, my week, my year.

Good to see you Mirage!

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 20.04.16 3:47

@sandancer wrote:
@woodpecker wrote:A happy day!

I hope other members are, like me, enjoying a glass or two of Portuguese wine to celebrate Sr Amaral's deserved victory.

I hope Katie Hopkins can get the McCanns on her couch to discuss how they feel about the verdict.......
I wonder if the New Zealand White is being brought out tonight at Rothley Towers ????

Somehow I doubt it !! big grin
I suspect it will be a straight up whiskey.

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DSimms15 on 20.04.16 4:20

Do the Portuguese have the equivalent of vexatious litigants? Surely Mr & Mrs McCann must eventually be considered as such.

DSimms15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.04.16 7:21

The international coverage of Goncalo Amaral's successful appeal this time round is looking much, much better than when he won a similar appeal in the Portuguese Court of Appeal in 2010.

This was just the first page of a Google search under 'McCann-Portuguese-Detective-Appeal' this morning:

-----------------------------------------

In the news

Portuguese detective WINS his appeal against libel defeat to Madeleine McCann's parents and will NOT have to pay ...

Daily Mail - 16 hours ago

Portuguese detective Goncalo Amaral has won his appeal against his court libel defeat to ...

Madeleine McCann's parents lose Lisbon libel case on appeal

US News & World Report - 15 hours ago

Madeleine McCann: Portuguese detective wins appeal against order to pay McCanns £394000

Telegraph.co.uk - 15 hours ago

More news for mccann portuguese detective appeal

Madeliene McCann: Portuguese detective wins appeal ...

www.independent.co.uk › News › UK › Home News

Cached

The Independent

6 hours ago - The Portuguese detective who accused Madeleine McCann's parents of faking their daughter's abduction has won his appeal against a libel ...

Madeleine McCann: Portuguese detective wins appeal ...

www.telegraph.co.uk/.../madeleine-mccann-portugu...

Cached

The Daily Telegraph

15 hours ago - Goncalo Amaral has won his appeal over a court libel loss against Madeleine McCann's parents, it was being reported on Tuesday. Emerging ...

Madeleine McCann Detective Wins Libel Appeal - Sky News

news.sky.com/.../madeleine-mccann-detective-wins-libel-appea...

Cached

Sky News

13 hours ago - A former Portuguese detective who claimed Madeleine McCann's parents were involved in her disappearance has won an appeal against his ...

www.usnews.com/.../madeleine-mccanns-par...

Cached

U.S. News & World Report

15 hours ago - LISBON, Portugal (AP) — An appeals court in Portugal has overturned the libel conviction of a former Portuguese detective who published a ...

Portuguese detective WINS his appeal against ... - YouTube

2:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAIE_9zWgQ

9 hours ago - Uploaded by Security Camera

Portuguese detective WINS his appeal against libel defeat to Madeleine McCann's parents and will NOT ...

Update: Detective Amaral wins appeal in McCann's Case ...

portuguese-american-journal.com/update-detective-amaral-wins-appeal-i...

Cached

9 hours ago - As the former coordinating detective in the original Portuguese investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Amaral has always ...

Portuguese detective who claimed McCanns ... - The Sun

www.thesun.co.uk/.../Portuguese-detective-who-claimed-McCanns-...

The Sun

18 hours ago - A Portuguese detective who claimed the McCanns faked Maddie's disappearance after she died in their holiday apartment has won a libel appeal PA ... THE parents of Madeleine McCann yesterday lost a battle over a ...

Portuguese detective who claimed McCanns ... - The Sun

www.thesun.co.uk/.../Portuguese-detective-who-claimed-McCanns-...

The Sun

22 hours ago - A Portuguese detective who claimed the McCanns faked Maddie's ... GERRY and Kate McCann are "disappointed" after a Portuguese detective who ... She confirmed: “I have just learnt that the three appeal court judges have ...

bigstory.ap.org/.../madeleine-mccanns-parents-lose-lisbo...

Cached

Associated Press

15 hours ago - LISBON, Portugal (AP) — A lawyer for the parents of missing British girl ... overturned the libel conviction of a former Portuguese detective who ...

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 20.04.16 8:00

@loopzdaloop wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Bishop Brennan wrote:
Is this why there was blanket coverage in today's British mainstream press headlining Operation Grange's claim that 'we have reasonable grounds for thinking that Madeleine may still be alive?   
Yes - it looks like the MET were tipped off in advance to permit them to plant these stories as part of the official UK 'whitewash' line - indeed to strengthen it with the headline "she may still be alive" (rather than the traditional - "we don't know what happened but it defo wasn't the McCanns") 
I fully agree with your analysis.

But surely the Met Police's job here is to investigate a crime? - not arrange hasty press briefings because their analysis of the case suddenly looks wrong?

Softly Softly catch a monkey.
They will now have the Mccann's on side.
You can look at it that way.

Most people see it for what it is.

If OG was serious then they could have engaged in no-nonsense bog-standard policing right from the start.

They've done everything but.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 20.04.16 8:37

When Snr Amaral won the right to appeal it was stated that the Mc's were exasperated. They were said to be suffering 'anguish' because the civil proceedings were going on and on. And yet, off we go again with their predicted attempt to counter appeal to the Supreme Court. Snr Amaral is constantly made out to be the bad guy - but who started the fight? They picked on the wrong kid in the school yard and then tried to ensure a win with underhanded tactics (blocking his financial means to appeal) - a woeful miscalculation of the popular support for a decent man.

Brilliant news yesterday - I woke up this morning with the sun shining brightly, in more ways than one.   clapping

Apparently, (sounds like CM might be back - bad penny springs to mind), the Mc's have gone from exasperated to seething this time (although I suspect some of the seethingness (word?) has been generated by the resulting jubilation Snr Amaral's win has caused in most quarters).

@TB - The Mirrors report is still predictably anti-amaral (21.54pm 19 April 2016):

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-seething-police-7790094

Will 'The Truth of the Lie' be on general release in English - does anyone know? I read the reports about it being back on the shelves in Portugal within a week but what about over here? (I appreciate that it is available online but would be good to see it in print as a matter of principle - might reach the top of the best sellers).

skyrocket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 20.04.16 8:49

Courtesy of PeterMac:

http://portugalresident.com/appeal-court-judges-reject-mccanns-‘libel-win’

Almost a year to the day that former PJ detective Gonçalo Amaral learnt that the parents of missing Madeleine McCann had successfully sued him over his book “The Truth of the Lie”, three appeal court judges have ruled that there is essentially no case to answer.

Ferreira de Almeida, Catarina Manso and Alexandrina Branquinho have unanimously overturned the ruling of a lower court, freeing Amaral from a €500,000 bill for damages and another €106,000 in legal costs.

The McCanns are “almost certain” to appeal - but the fact that the judges were united over their 16-page decision speaks volumes.

For further details, see our printed edition, out on Thursday morning.
- See more at: http://portugalresident.com/appeal-court-judges-reject-mccanns-‘libel-win’#sthash.JfJ6K8bU.dpuf

Get'emGonçalo

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 20.04.16 9:45

Fantastic News !

I wonder if judgement includes the obligatory return of book stocks and unfreezing of his asset or have to wait until appeal avenue is exhausted and done with.

“I and the McCanns are obviously disappointed but I am not surprised because one of the judges ruled in favour of a previous appeal overturning a ban on the book."
“This decision was an appreciation of the law and not the facts. We can appeal to the Supreme Court which we will do as we have instructions from our clients."

"Not surprised" at this one!
Does it mean they were taken surprised at the last one in their favour, in that they didn't expect to win. I was too, when the Lisbon Court Judge invented jurisprudence essay to derive at her ruling.

If this decision is appreciation of the law according to ID, so did the Lisbon Court Judge make an erroneous application of the law in context to the facts (as Judge Masipa in OP case)? If so one would think error of law is not appealable. Their decision to appeal this judgement will have no leg to stand on to start with if that be the case.

The last three wise judges that overturned the book injunction (interesting that one of them was again on this appeal panel) made clear in their judgement that their decision wasn't appealable. Nonetheless ID went ahead anyway using an unorthodox technic/angle but to no avail as we know.

Going through the motion because they can would just be waste of money. That said, maybe they have no choice but to try to hang on to their illusive dream (of destroying Amaral) to the very end because defeat in this is a benchmark that will have a great impact on their sue culture.
A crashing defeat on this effectively curtails their litigatious nature as it would mean they can no longer sue any author willy nilly just because they can because they are sitting on a pile of other people's money thus having the means to do so.
Be interesting to see if the legal costs obliged on them will come out from the Fund or from their own pockets. Next year's audited accounts will be a revelation.

Meanwhile reporting on appeal judgement gives Press and Media the chance to regurgitate the allegations of no abduction and her parents involvement, and also plugging Dr. Amaral's book.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 20.04.16 10:10

@skyrocket wrote:
Apparently, (sounds like CM might be back - bad penny springs to mind), the Mc's have gone from exasperated to seething this time (although I suspect some of the seethingness (word?) has been generated by the resulting jubilation Snr Amaral's win has caused in most quarters).

Don't be surprised CM was the source for the bollox piece in the Standards.

Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, the head of the Yard’s homicide squad, said officers were pursuing “justifiable and reasonable” leads in the investigation into the missing three year-old.

It's an article that backfires on them (if CM was the source) because one has to question why homicide squad is tasked to find a missing child believed to be still alive and findable.
And why the digging expedition, if not to find the body?

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 20.04.16 10:21

James o'brian on LBC - doing phone-in on Goncalo Amaral - the worm has truly turned - he wants to read the book now! This coming from a bloke who backed the Mccanns in the past - the phone in - Do you want to read Goncalos Book? 

He also said that many of his respected friends have become sceptical of the Mccanns. Don't like O'Brien but if he is a barometer of the media today - I say that Team Mccann are not very happy as it is not going their way. No wonder Pinky is not available for comment. 

Also wonder if this has to do with  book deal and which publishers have signed Mr Amaral's book up here? Cos this almost sounds like a promotion.

Bring it on!!

Also they are being very nice about Goncalo - after all he is a detective, and worked on the case - not the sardine munching lazy cop they talked about. Even Brenda has been mentioned - as "that poor woman who took her own life', not called a troll - like I believe O'Brian called her in the past. This is really a change of viewpoint from the media - and a very interesting one!

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 20.04.16 10:25

Aiyoyo:

‘Be interesting to see if the legal costs obliged on them will come out from the Fund or from their own pockets. Next year's audited accounts will be a revelation.’

Based on their previous reporting form we will have to wait till Jan. 2018 for those as the accounts year-end has already passed.

In order to take money from the fund to pay these costs, presumably they would have to change the ‘objects’ clause in the Mem & Arts back again as the original clause 3.1.3:

'To provide support, including financial assistance, to Madeleine's family'

was changed by amendment filed at Companies House 17th December 2011 to remove this clause completely.

Any new amendment to this is likely to get flagged up before any accounts are published, which would give an early indication of their thinking.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire25 on 20.04.16 10:33

What happens regarding the other defendants, was it the TV company and another? Were they included in this appeal and will TM have to pay their costs too?

Claire25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.04.16 10:39

@mouse wrote:1. James O'Brien on LBC - doing phone-in on Goncalo Amaral - the worm has truly turned - he wants to read the book now!

2. This coming from a bloke who backed the Mccanns in the past - the phone in - Do you want to read Goncalo's Book? 

3. He also said that many of his respected friends have become sceptical of the McCanns.

4. Also they are being very nice about Goncalo - after all he is a detective, and worked on the case - not the sardine munching lazy cop they talked about.

5. Even Brenda has been mentioned - as "that poor woman who took her own life', not called a troll - like I believe O'Brian called her in the past.

6. This is really a change of viewpoint from the media - and a very interesting one!
@ mouse

Thank you very much for posting these fascinating details.

It is only one broadcaster.

However, we can be sure that before James O'Brien did his show, he would have talked to...his editor...his producer...maybe even the station's lawyers.

I think we can at least go so far as to say that these are 'straws in the wind'.

Remains to be seen who else will follow...

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 20.04.16 10:41

Did they not sue under their own name ( and the kiddies) and not the No Stone Unturned.? I fail to see how they can use funds which are supposed to be for a 'search' to settle legal costs or compensation. 

Maybe I've misinterpreted the 'funds' remit?

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.04.16 10:47

@MayMuse wrote:Did they not sue under their own name ( and the kiddies) and not the No Stone Unturned.? I fail to see how they can use funds which are supposed to be for a 'search' to settle legal costs or compensation. 

Their claim has been that they simply 'had to' sue Goncalo Amaral because his book was hindering you, me, members and guests here and the whole world from 'searching for Madeleine'

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 20.04.16 10:48

I agree Tony about straws in the wind - but this time it may only be one broadcaster, but this broadcaster has ties to SKY - it is their news I believe they use to broadcast, and Nick Ferrari yesterday on his popular morning show - was saying yesterday that he thought it was time that Scotland Yard closed down the investigation. That money and man power really shouldn't be spent on it any more.

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.04.16 10:54

@mouse wrote:I agree Tony about straws in the wind - but this time it may only be one broadcaster, but this broadcaster has ties to SKY - it is their news I believe they use to broadcast, and Nick Ferrari yesterday on his popular morning show - was saying yesterday that he thought it was time that Scotland Yard closed down the investigation. That money and man power really shouldn't be spent on it any more.
Which is, roughly speaking, what my petition is all about >>>

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/108562

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 20.04.16 11:13

@TonyBennet They simply 'HAD' to 'sue' ? Not buying it, it was a choice, a decision that fuelled 'finding Madeleine' in another direction. An added stress brought on by themselves to hinder those that believed in the evidence of the case. Amaral has stood strong, he knew what they were up to from the start. Still failing to see how the 'fund' can be harmed? It was not the 'fund/company' which filed, it was the 'McCanns'.

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES on 20.04.16 11:16

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:Did they not sue under their own name ( and the kiddies) and not the No Stone Unturned.? I fail to see how they can use funds which are supposed to be for a 'search' to settle legal costs or compensation. 

Their claim has been that they simply 'had to' sue Goncalo Amaral because his book was hindering you, me, members and guests here and the whole world from 'searching for Madeleine'

That's the odd bit for me. Then why would Grange/CM claim MM could be alive.  That's implying she is being searched for?

MRNOODLES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse on 20.04.16 11:26

"Searched" through paperwork...interviews...PR...lawyers...and digging grounds...? Yep, that will find an 'alive' little girl!

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Appeal in favour of Mr Goncalo Amaral

Post by willowthewisp on 20.04.16 11:35

Hi Mr Tony Bennett,jil, Leanne and all members associated to CMoMM,congratulations also to Mr Goncalo Amaral and his legal team on overturning the previous decision finding in favour of Kate and Gerry!
As has been stipulated by various people from this site about the"True reason" for Operation Grange perhaps we will never find out, but is it purely by coincidence that an "Official statement" from DCS Guthie appears in the UK prior to any announcement from Portugal Court of Mr Goncalo Amaral's appeal, a bit like the amount of times selective journeys / stories appeared in the press with regard to Madeleine McCann's disappearance?  
At this moment of being in a congratulations for the decision in Portugal, I would ask for remembering Mrs Brenda Leyland who was "publically hounded" by Sky News and Martin *unt over her stance in defending the right for "freedom of speech" on what has happened to Madeleine, they have never apologised to Mrs Leyland's sons and family for carrying out that story, which labelled Mrs Leyland a disgusting word often associated with figures living under bridges?
RIP Mrs Brenda Leyland, who fought so valiantly for the "Truth" to be heard and was forced to seek solace(sanctuary) in an hotel room away from Brunt and his cohort pay masters,stating "Public interest" in revealing the Identity of Sweepyface,"Well it's not a secret any more" is it Martin?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum