The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

The printing of the so-called "first photo" on 3rd May 2007

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The printing of the so-called "first photo" on 3rd May 2007

Post by AlexBG on 23.02.16 14:25

Just finished watching parts 1 and 2 of the film "When Madeleine Died?".
It's very good, but I'm unsure about some of the issues raised, such as those surrounding the printing of the so-called "first photo" on 3rd May 2007 using Amy Tierney's printer, as mentioned in part 2.

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed previously.

In the film, the printer is identified as a "Kodak Easyshare G60". A quick bit of googling found no such model, so I assume it was in fact a model "Easyshare G600", which does exist. The G600's user manual gives the following details about the printer:

- Prints onto "photo paper". Warns the user "Do not use inkjet paper".

- Is able to print photos without a computer:
   1) from a camera compatible with the "ImageLink print-system" via its "printer dock",
   2) from a camera compatible with "PictBridge", via its built-in USB port,
   3) from a USB flash drive, again via its built-in USB port, but "You can only print pictures from a USB flash drive if your camera is docked".

- Prints 1 full photo per page at 4 x 6 inches, with an aspect ratio of 3:2.

- Print speed is "Approximately 60 seconds for full 4 x 6 in. (102 x 152 mm) print".

According to an online review of this printer, "the paper and ink dye packs come with enough dye film for the paper provided so once the paper is exhausted so is the dye. Replacing the dye and paper is best value with the 200-sheet pack at £39.99, making prints around 19.9-pence per print."

Regarding the McCanns' camera, a quick bit of googling suggests it was a Canon Powershot A620. According to the camera's user manual, it supports direct printing via the PictBridge system. The camera features an SD card slot (pictures are saved onto an SD card), along with a "mini USB" connector for connection to a computer or compatible printer.

From the above we can deduce the following:
1) Special photographic paper HAD to be used - the printer required photographic paper for proper operation, so the fact that is WAS used by Tierney is not suspicious
2) A pack of 200 sheets of photographic paper bundled with enough dye film to print on all 200 sheets was available to purchase. In other words, up to 200 full page photos could have potentially been printed before the printer ran out of ink.
3) The McCanns' Canon camera could have been used to directly print images on the printer using the PictBridge system (but only if a suitable USB to mini-USB cable was available).
4) Printing from a USB flash drive would have been possible, but ONLY if an ImageLink-compatible digital camera (ie. not the McCanns' Canon) was available to connect to the printer's dock and activate the USB printing function.
5) It would have taken approximately half an hour to print 30 full-size copies of the photo.

The above information seems to contradict the claims made in the film, which I quote:
"Experts have advised me that you could not use either the Canon camera or the Olympus to print direct from camera the photograph we're calling "the first photo".  The printer, if the camera itself is docked on the printer, can print from a USB key. However, I am informed that such a small printer, if it had been used, would have been unlikely to be able to print as many as 30 copies without running out of ink.".

The film also quotes the following from Amy Tierney's statement:
"One of the friends of the McCann couple, Russell, asked for a USB memory stick reader, in order to print photographs of Madeliene. Immediately, the deponent replied that she did not have a USB reader, but that she had a printer with this hardware which could read from memory sticks." ...
"The memory stick containing the photos belonged to the McCann couple and came from their camera."

The term "USB memory stick reader" - presumably used by Amy Tierney in her statement - is rather vague. Obviously, devices which "read" USB memory sticks tend to be computers, printers, etc. You wouldn't refer to any of these devices as a "USB memory stick reader".
However, since she does specifically refer to a USB memory stick, I would surmise that the McCanns just happened to have with them a USB stick containing family photographs. Their camera could not read or write directly to USB sticks - it used SD cards for storage. A computer would typically be used to copy photos from the camera to a USB stick. So the memory stick did not come "from their camera" as claimed.  It's likely, therefore, that some photos had been copied to the USB stick at an earlier date (before the holiday) using a computer, including the so-called "first photo" of Madeliene that was ultimately printed. Tierney probably used her own camera (which we can assume was compatible with her printer) to dock with the printer and activate the USB printing function. This, in my opinion, would account for the fact that they chose an older photo to print.

All just my opinions. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.

AlexBG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The printing of the so-called "first photo" on 3rd May 2007

Post by comperedna on 23.02.16 14:47

Interesting... though I confess I get lost in the technicalities. However I do think this is the sort of thing that should be gone into carefully.  Congratulations on your research, anyway. What do other techies feel about it?

comperedna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by happychick on 23.02.16 15:11

There's a thread about this topic here if it's of any help - http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t1179-amy-tierney-and-those-mysterious-6-x-4-photos-extracts-from-the-research-thread-on-3as

But that aside, as I can't answer your query, didn't it say in the film that O'Brien couldn't have been helping with the photo printing anyway because he was in the McCanns apartment writing the timelines?

happychick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 23.02.16 15:21

@AlexBG 

I'm putting a link up to the thread in which the matter of the printer was discussed quite recently, just to link the info. What you have discovered ties in with info on the previous thread - always good to have further input.

I think a lot of the questions arise from the differing statements made by Russell O'Brien and Amy Tierney, et al, on exactly how the photo was transferred (if at all) to the printer i.e. did it originate from KM's camera or from a USB memory stick. Also, ROB states that John Hill was around so why didn't ROB just ask him about printing? Later Hill states that there were 3 (or 4? can't remember off the top of my head) printers in the office, which were used the following day to print out the A4 posters.

The whole business of the 6/4 photos doesn't ring true to me. If a specific action such as printing is been performed by anyone, how difficult is it for the people involved to recall it accurately? We are told ROB is computer literate and Amy Tierney must have been the same, or she wouldn't have possessed the printer - why the differing accounts and vagueness? Did the printing happen? Did it happen but there was something sensitive about the source of the photo or the time the process was carried out? What?

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t12332-where-did-the-mccanns-get-the-photographic-paper-late-at-night

skyrocket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexBG on 23.02.16 16:07

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check out the other threads.

AlexBG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum on 23.02.16 18:09

'Just happened to have a memory stick with them with family photographs on''

BUT
allegedly Madeleine shared a toothbrush... dontgetit

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanm on 23.02.16 20:04

There was some interesting information here too, March & April 2015

http://fytton.blogspot.com

ryanm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 23.02.16 20:36

Why make a complication about something so simple?  So, naturally enough, the GNR/PJ ask the McCanns if they have a recent photograph of their daughter, presuming they did make the request before this fiasco of the printing commenced !?!  People do carry pictures of their children but if not, why not just hand over the camera with holiday snaps and let the police do the rest?  This was supposed to be a very traumatic time, why add to the trauma running around like headless chickens only to produce a dated photograph of Madeleine which was of no use to the investigation - even less the search?

I've got a Nikon DSLR an Olympus digital and two Nokia mobile phones - all I need for each apparatus is a USB cable (comes with the camera/phone) to connect to a computer which can instantly print off copies on a bog basic laser Cannon printer.  It takes but a few minutes for the complete process.  The copies might not be Vogue standard but when talking of a missing child who cares.

Need I say more?

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 23.02.16 20:54

@worriedmum wrote:'Just happened to have a memory stick with them with family photographs on''

BUT
allegedly Madeleine shared a toothbrush... dontgetit
All these digital cameras and mobile phones (undoubtedly the friends cameras/phones also stored group photographs taken during the holiday) but not a single current image of Madeleine to found?

Pull the other one!

ETA:  With the exception of the last photograph, the tennis ball photograph and the playground photographs - which were not issued to the GNR/PJ to assist the investigation/search.

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum