The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Mm11

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Mm11

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Regist10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Empty Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline

Post by Tony Bennett 07.12.15 11:30

On 2 May this year I made a complaint against a headline in the Daily Express which ran:

'MADDY DETECTIVE DID LIE ABOUT DEATH COVER-UP CLAIM'.

As my colleagues in Mods & Admin are aware, to extract this correction, published on page 21 of today's Daily Express, has taken 7 months of letters and negotiation back and forth with the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) and with the Express Head of Legal Affairs, Barbara Ludlow.

I understand that I am not allowed to publish any of the correspondence, but I am told that a formal report on my complaint will be published on the IPSO website next week.

In the end, I accepted the wording you see below. Had I not done so, this would have gone to formal adjudication, and I personally doubt if I would have got a different result.

The result is a correction in the bottom left-hand corner of the page - see below.

Was it worth it?

Goncal Amaral was publicly accused in the Express's headline of having 'Lied about death cover-up claim'.

That has now been publicly corrected.

He did not lie.

I am personally content that I have not wasted my time and effort:

------------------------

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Expres10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Expres10
https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t11247-complaints-to-ipso-about-recent-press-coverage-of-the-madeleine-mccann-libel-trial-ruling-no-1-daily-express-29-april-2015

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24767

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Empty Re: Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline

Post by kaz 07.12.15 11:50

A small gesture of solidarity I know but I won't be buying the Express again. I only ever bought it for the cryptic crossword and its stand against the EU anyway!
Well done.

bravo
kaz

Activity : 1009

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Empty Re: Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline

Post by pennylane 07.12.15 12:08

Yes it most certainly was worth it Tony, because it makes it clear Mr Amaral was not accused of lying by the courts in any way shape or form, and that information is the McCanns worst nightmare! 

Jolly well done, and thank you for working so hard for so long on this important retraction. clapping
pennylane

Activity : 4406

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 07.12.15 12:23

For those of you on Twitter, if you can find my tweet (below), you can now vote in a Twitter poll on the question

Should #DailyExpress now publish a more prominent apology for calling #GoncaloAmaral a liar?

Anthony Bennett@zampos 30m30 minutes ago
Should #DailyExpress now publish a more prominent apology for calling #GoncaloAmaral a liar? http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t12218-goncalo-amaral-did-not-lie-about-madeleine-today-7-dec-2015-daily-express-publishes-on-page-21-an-offical-correction-to-its-29-apr-2015-headline 

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES 07.12.15 12:28

Good effort TB clapping clapping

Just think if it was the other way around. The McCs would be in for several £1000s payout.
MRNOODLES
MRNOODLES

Activity : 1059

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophiebubbles 07.12.15 13:07

Well done Tony Bennett, thanks again for all the dedication you put into delivering justice for other people.  I am sure Mr Amaral will be informed of your work on behalf of him......the newspaper has retracted that he lied. One step in the the correct direction for you Tony Bennett, I do not take part in twitter, but agree the apology should be given more coverage.   Maybe one day Mr Amaral will get honest coverage and perhaps compensation for himself. Again my dear wishful thinking for him.   I would like to think this news today is the start of the tide turning.......gut feeling and all that.  Great work, you are an inspirational man and work tirelessly.

edited to add .......I joined twitter as I feel very strongly about where apology is placed...hope your 'pole' attracts many Tony Bennett
Sophiebubbles

Activity : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 07.12.15 13:22

Sophiebubbles wrote:Well done Tony Bennett, thanks again for all the dedication you put into delivering justice for other people.  I am sure Mr Amaral will be informed of your work on behalf of him......the newspaper has retracted that he lied. One step in the the correct direction for you Tony Bennett, I do not take part in twitter, but agree the apology should be given more coverage.   Maybe one day Mr Amaral will get honest coverage and perhaps compensation for himself. Again my dear wishful thinking for him.   I would like to think this news today is the start of the tide turning.......gut feeling and all that.  Great work, you are an inspirational man and work tirelessly.

Yes, he most certainly does work tirelessly for other people yes whilst coming under such bitter attacks himself.

How many other people on the internet submitted a complaint to the Express on behalf of Dr Amaral?

Or uncovered the massive hoaxes surrounding the deaths of Lee Balkwell and Stuart Lubbock to get justice for both men's families?

Great work, Tony!

bravo

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40913

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 07.12.15 13:32

Thank you Tony for your dedication and perseverance.

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Lie_co10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Front_10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Maddie10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Maddie11

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Book_b10

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Thesis10
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Activity : 5076

http://forum2.aimoo.com/MadeleineMcCann

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophiebubbles 07.12.15 13:39

Get'emGonçalo wrote:
Sophiebubbles wrote:Well done Tony Bennett, thanks again for all the dedication you put into delivering justice for other people.  I am sure Mr Amaral will be informed of your work on behalf of him......the newspaper has retracted that he lied. One step in the the correct direction for you Tony Bennett, I do not take part in twitter, but agree the apology should be given more coverage.   Maybe one day Mr Amaral will get honest coverage and perhaps compensation for himself. Again my dear wishful thinking for him.   I would like to think this news today is the start of the tide turning.......gut feeling and all that.  Great work, you are an inspirational man and work tirelessly.

Yes, he most certainly does work tirelessly for other people yes whilst coming under such bitter attacks himself.

How many other people on the internet submitted a complaint to the Express on behalf of Dr Amaral?

Or uncovered the massive hoaxes surrounding the deaths of Lee Balkwell and Stuart Lubbock to get justice for both men's families?

Great work, Tony!

bravo
@Get'emGoncalo........The very reason I respect Tony Bennett is as you have outlined above, the bitter attacks I read, in particular, makes me horrified that people will nitpick on Tony Bennett's idiosyncracies.....which everyone has..everyone but miss out on the good that he does, sorry if I embarrass you Tony Bennett, I know you neither look for praise nor thanks.....just saying it as I see it.
Sophiebubbles

Activity : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique 07.12.15 13:40

I would also like to add my congratulations to Tony for his efforts resulting in apology from The Express, albeit hidden on page 21!

Also for all the hard and tireless effort put in on behalf of not only Goncalo Amaral but for others, some of whom have no voice.

Well done Tony.

bravo

Activity : 1460

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 07.12.15 14:02

Sophiebubbles wrote:
Get'emGonçalo wrote:

Great work, Tony!

bravo
@Get'emGoncalo........The very reason I respect Tony Bennett is as you have outlined above, the bitter attacks I read, in particular, makes me horrified that people will nitpick on Tony Bennett's idiosyncracies.....which everyone has..everyone but miss out on the good that he does, sorry if I embarrass you Tony Bennett, I know you neither look for praise nor thanks.....just saying it as I see it.
Yes, even now despite this good news, people on twitter are still not taking a moment off from attacking Tony. They prefer to keep on bashing him and rehashing his errors than to even re-tweet this excellent news which can only help Dr Amaral.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaggzy 07.12.15 14:07

Angelique wrote:I would also like to add my congratulations to Tony for his efforts resulting in apology from The Express, albeit hidden on page 21!

Also for all the hard and tireless effort put in on behalf of not only Goncalo Amaral but for others, some of whom have no voice.

Well done Tony.

bravo

That's typical of the press when they have to apologise. They print front page lies, and hide grovelling apologies in the ads section!!!!
Gaggzy
Gaggzy

Activity : 514

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 07.12.15 14:10

I have added the original article to page 1 of this thread.

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Front_11
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 07.12.15 14:11

Thank you very much Lizzy...I was just looking for that!

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 07.12.15 15:04

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Lie_co10
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.12.15 15:12

I thought there was supposed to be equal page space for these things?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean 07.12.15 15:31

I think that only applies when apologies are being made to the McCanns.
Amy Dean
Amy Dean

Activity : 469

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  Empty "Why wasn't the Express's correction given equal prominence?" - ANSWER

Post by Tony Bennett 07.12.15 17:32

BlueBag wrote:I thought there was supposed to be equal page space for these things?
This is a very important point.

Most people who have been the victim of an inaccuracy in a newspaper demand an equally prominent retraction or correction.

I believe that Leveson recommended that there should be equal prominence given to corrections and apologies.

Of course, I asked for equal prominence, for two main reasons:

1. The Express's original falsehood was prominent on the front page, and
2. The seriousness of the inaccuracy - calling him a liar when the court never said that he had lied.

The original Express falsehood might have been read by a million or two.

If I'm lucky, mere tens of thousands will see the correction - and it's a 'correction', not an apology.  

Without disclosing details of the correspondence, which I don't think I'm allowed to do, the Daily Express maintained that if they agreed to any correction, it would only be tucked away in their 'corrections corner', as per their policy 'for over 20 years'.

I dare say that if I had pursued the matter to an adjudication hearing IPSO might have agreed to a more prominent correction.

But after seven months - and having succeeded in extracting the admission that their headline was false, and that Amaral did not lie, I didn't want to face weeks and months more of correspondence to and fro, so accepted a compromise offer.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike 07.12.15 17:43

It also sounds like an admission of libel to me, so maybe it will help Amaral when he starts to sue the msm.

Well done Tony.
Mike
Mike

Activity : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.12.15 18:13

@TB, thank you.  I agree with others that it should be displayed more prominently, however a small victory for truth.  drinks
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HiDeHo 07.12.15 18:15

I have corrected the graphic after putting apology, Tony :)

I have several graphics regarding the court claiming the book is based on the investigation...

Goncalo Amaral DID NOT LIE about Madeleine: Today (7 Dec 2015) Daily Express publishes, on page 21, an offical correction to its 29 Apr 2015 headline  10478210
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 07.12.15 22:31

A message to 'candyfloss' and members of MMM:

Thank you to all of you who posted kind messages of support today over the Daily Express admission that they lied with their front-page headline - which falsely claimed that Goncalo Amaral had lied about his 'cover-up' claim. I've now read them all and I really appreciate the trouble you took to post them.

And of course thank you to all those members on this thread here who have done likewise  thumbup

Tony

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by cbeagle 08.12.15 4:41

@HiDeHo on the image with the newspaper clippings on the left and the minuscule apology on the right can I suggest putting red strike-through on the original incorrect headlines.
cbeagle

Activity : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenMeg 08.12.15 10:04

Admiration for Tony who not only talks but acts and carries through too. thumbup

(Also good to see such goodwill across the CMOMM and MMM sites. I'm a member of both although latterly have only been posting here and
both are great for different reasons. )  exalt
HelenMeg

Activity : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 08.12.15 11:53

Wow! Well done, Tony.  Your search for truth and justice is second to none. Dr Amaral must be so proud of you, as we all are on this forum and other forums, as the posts are showing.

Now that the Express has admitted it lied when it published that Dr Amaral had lied, is it now going to compensate Dr A to the tune of a few hundred thousand pounds? Can you imagine how this would boost the “fighting fund”? We can live in hope.

spin bravo

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. – Winston Churchill
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top