The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by TMH on 07.05.15 20:29

Does anybody know if it was just GA only that has to pay out damages to the Mc's?

What about TVI and Guerra and Paz? Why haven't we heard if they have had to pay damages too?


Sorry it's all very puzzling lol

TMH

Posts : 192
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2013-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by sammyc on 07.05.15 21:30

Because the McCanns want to try to totally destroy and silence GA forever as he knows what is contained in the 20% of PJ Files not officially released? 

Just guessing.

sammyc

Posts : 218
Reputation : 49
Join date : 2011-10-06
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by G-Unit on 07.05.15 21:45

@TMH wrote:Does anybody know if it was just GA only that has to pay out damages to the Mc's?

What about TVI and Guerra and Paz? Why haven't we heard if they have had to pay damages too?


Sorry it's all very puzzling lol
Only Snr Amaral. He is only having to pay because a) he used confidential source material gathered during his job and b) As a retired police officer he should have still been obliged to uphold the presumption of innocence as required by all those involved in the judicial process. Had he been a private citizen he would have paid nothing.

The judge emphasised the fact that he published his book three days after the investigation was archived, so although his book used material which was in the public domain (the PJ Files) he wrote the book before the files were released, using naterial which was confidential at the time of writing.

All those involved in the judicial process are expected to uphold the presumption of innocence of suspects. Amaral's theory went against that.

The others involved will only pay if they continue to sell/distribute the book or the video after the judgement. Each time they do so, they pay 50,000 EUR, I think it was.

G-Unit

Posts : 312
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-12-29
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by TMH on 07.05.15 21:51

@G-Unit wrote:
@TMH wrote:Does anybody know if it was just GA only that has to pay out damages to the Mc's?

What about TVI and Guerra and Paz? Why haven't we heard if they have had to pay damages too?


Sorry it's all very puzzling lol
Only Snr Amaral. He is only having to pay because a) he used confidential source material gathered during his job and b) As a retired police officer he should have still been obliged to uphold the presumption of innocence as required by all those involved in the judicial process. Had he been a private citizen he would have paid nothing.

The judge emphasised the fact that he published his book three days after the investigation was archived, so although his book used material which was in the public domain (the PJ Files) he wrote the book before the files were released, using naterial which was confidential at the time of writing.

All those involved in the judicial process are expected to uphold the presumption of innocence of suspects. Amaral's theory went against that.

The others involved will only pay if they continue to sell/distribute the book or the video after the judgement. Each time they do so, they pay 50,000 EUR, I think it was.
Many thanks for that explanation, It's a lot clearer now  thumbup

TMH

Posts : 192
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2013-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by Richard IV on 07.05.15 21:57

@G-Unit wrote:
@TMH wrote:Does anybody know if it was just GA only that has to pay out damages to the Mc's?

What about TVI and Guerra and Paz? Why haven't we heard if they have had to pay damages too?


Sorry it's all very puzzling lol
Only Snr Amaral. He is only having to pay because a) he used confidential source material gathered during his job and b) As a retired police officer he should have still been obliged to uphold the presumption of innocence as required by all those involved in the judicial process. Had he been a private citizen he would have paid nothing.

The judge emphasised the fact that he published his book three days after the investigation was archived, so although his book used material which was in the public domain (the PJ Files) he wrote the book before the files were released, using naterial which was confidential at the time of writing.

All those involved in the judicial process are expected to uphold the presumption of innocence of suspects. Amaral's theory went against that.

The others involved will only pay if they continue to sell/distribute the book or the video after the judgement. Each time they do so, they pay 50,000 EUR, I think it was.
That explanation is much appreciated G-Unit. It`s much clearer now.

I suppose she was able to trump the previous Supreme Court  ruling as the McCanns were citing different aspects this time round.

On another note, I see the Portugal News has been writing positive articles and there has been a lot of support from the UK, but can anyone in Portugal tell us if there has been any support for GA in the Portuguese media and/or from Portuguese citizens ?

Richard IV

Posts : 510
Reputation : 242
Join date : 2015-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by Guest on 07.05.15 22:05

As far as I can see, The Portugal News has written only one article, which I posted last week, and was a straightforward, factual account of the verdict.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The McCanns, from Rothley, Leicestershire, said they are "delighted" with the judge's verdict. "We want to emphasise that the action was never about money. It has always been focused on the effects of the libels on our other children and the damage that

Post by G-Unit on 07.05.15 22:58

Richard wrote:That explanation is much appreciated G-Unit. It`s much clearer now.

I suppose she was able to trump the previous Supreme Court  ruling as the McCanns were citing different aspects this time round.

On another note, I see the Portugal News has been writing positive articles and there has been a lot of support from the UK, but can anyone in Portugal tell us if there has been any support for GA in the Portuguese media and/or from Portuguese citizens ?
Interesting quote on Sky News by the McCanns, considering that the judge found that neither the children nor the search were damaged by the book. The award was for damage to the parents only;

The McCanns, from Rothley, Leicestershire, said they are "delighted" with the judge's verdict.
"We want to emphasise that the action was never about money. It has always been focused on the effects of the libels on our other children and the damage that was done to the search for Madeleine," they said in a statement.

G-Unit

Posts : 312
Reputation : 54
Join date : 2014-12-29
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by Richard IV on 07.05.15 23:11

Ladyinred wrote:As far as I can see, The Portugal News has written only one article, which I posted last week, and was a straightforward, factual account of the verdict.
Sorry Ladyinred - I meant Portgual Resident.

http://portugalresident.com/brits-raise-thousands-for-maddie-cop%E2%80%99s-libel-appeal-0

It would be interesting to know if any of GA`s compatriots are backing him.

Richard IV

Posts : 510
Reputation : 242
Join date : 2015-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel Trial - Only Amaral?

Post by lj on 08.05.15 13:26

Only 4% agrees, 4!!

I see why Kate and Gerry did not attend any memorial. Maybe they finally get the message.

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

Posts : 3274
Reputation : 148
Join date : 2009-12-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum