The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

'The Interpretation of Murder' by Jed Rubenfeld was found where?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'The Interpretation of Murder' by Jed Rubenfeld was found where?

Post by Guest on 28.04.15 15:05

One of the unparalleled charities in this country sold me a copy of that book

I seem to remember it was mentioned as being in some way connected to one or two of our main protagonists

Who, on this Forum, has actually read it?

Is it worth discussing its contents in connection with the [strike]crimes[/strike] occurrences which are so vivid in people's memories?

For starters: when did its existence first come to light, and where exactly was it located at the time?

Back to top Go down

Re: 'The Interpretation of Murder' by Jed Rubenfeld was found where?

Post by Nina on 28.04.15 15:29

@Portia wrote:One of the unparalleled charities in this country sold me a copy of that book

I seem to remember it was mentioned as being in some way connected to one or two of our main protagonists

Who, on this Forum, has actually read it?

Is it worth discussing its contents in connection with the crimes occurrences which are so vivid in people's memories?

For starters: when did its existence first come to light, and where exactly was it located at the time?
I have not read the  book so can not comment on that, but it was in he villa where the McCanns stayed until they beat a hasty retreat.
This link will give you the holiday reads,
http://www.gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/kate-and-gerry-mccann-books-found-in.html

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 28.04.15 17:59

This book was on GM's bookshelf at the villa in PdL. It was a popular paperback at the time and so I don't think there is anything significant about GM owning a copy.

I have read the book, can't quite remember all the details but don't think it's in any way related to the McCann case.

It's a murder mystery set in 1909 in New York. The case is solved by a combination of detective work and psychoanalysis. (Freud and Jung had visited New York in 1909 and so provided inspiration for that part of the novel)

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils on 28.04.15 18:31

I bought that book at the time as well.
It was in the top sellers section in the bookshops, so I personally don't think it's of any relevance. Could have just been picked up in an airport shop for some holiday reading.
Never did read it, though!

Lance De Boils

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 28.04.15 18:53

Basically agree with LdB:

‘so I personally don't think it's of any relevance’

but I did actually read it and there are certainly a few ‘hang on a minute’ moments in the book.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 01.05.15 14:22

I have been reading this and forgot it's connection to the case.

It's what appears to be a murder mystery set in 1909 where one victim is chloroformed, tied up and whipped and strangled in their home but no-one can really see how the assailant might have got access to do this. A doctor working with the victim to recover her memories is an aquaintence of Sigmund Frued and is psychoanalising her.

I'm actually struggling to finish it as I've found all the psychoanalysis and subplot revolving around Sigmund Frued and friends quite tedious and the actual crime itself not exactly gripping!

The only connection I could possibly see to this case is that a) the proposed victim might be making everything up and staged the crime or b)  the rather disturbing  Fruedian theories and complexes regarding parents and children sad .

Maybe something else will become apparent when I've finished it.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by April28th on 18.07.16 14:45

Amazon summary;

'THE INTERPRETATION OF MURDER is an inventive tour de force inspired by Sigmund Freud's 1909 visit to America, accompanied by protégé and rival Carl Jung. When a wealthy young debutante is discovered bound, whipped and strangled in a luxurious apartment overlooking the city, and another society beauty narrowly escapes the same fate, the mayor of New York calls upon Freud to use his revolutionary new ideas to help the surviving victim recover her memory of the attack, and solve the crime. But nothing about the attacks - or about the surviving victim, Nora - is quite as it seems. And there are those in very high places determined to stop the truth coming out, and Freud's startling theories taking root on American soil.'

He was also reading the autobiography of a medium as well as a 'comeback' book by pre-shame Lance Armstrong.

Oh and those manuals he wasn't meant to have...

April28th

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysticmeg on 19.07.16 6:26

As I have said elsewhere I do think this book is significant, dealing as it does with subconscious factors - both in the interpretation of crime and in how crimes are interpreted by others.  TM have constantly used suggestion, confusion and association to perpetuate their story..............all of which work at a subliminal level.  Whilst there may be no direct correspondence between events in the book and events in PDL, it could certainly have given ideas as to how to misdirect the public without their realising.

mysticmeg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re; the interpretation of Murder

Post by willowthewisp on 19.07.16 11:14

It must surely be part of a Doctors competence to have a vast swathe of knowledge in the medical world,but you find it a bit perturbing that,your Three year old daughter is missing from your holiday apartment and the Police find Manuals that can only be obtained by certain sections of Society?
But as Dear Clarence states time and again," there is a plausible explanation for any Evidence, that may have been Obtained" especially possible DNA with 15 out of 19 Markers, that needed to be destroyed by the Home Office,in a still missing person case,Operation Grange,kerching!kerching!as each day go's by?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 19.07.16 12:36

The book is a novel,  GM's preferred bedtime reading matter, it can't be presumed, because of the title, to have any relevance to Madeleine's disappearance - any more than a book about Lance Armstrong.

I'm more interest to learn how come he was in possession of police and CEOP operational manuals or more to the point - why!

Verdi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 19.07.16 12:55

@Verdi wrote:The book is a novel,  GM's preferred bedtime reading matter, it can't be presumed, because of the title, to have any relevance to Madeleine's disappearance - any more than a book about Lance Armstrong.

I'm more interest to learn how come he was in possession of police and CEOP operational manuals or more to the point - why!
Agree @Verdi
Reading such as that is for research surely. I once went on holiday and took some papers I was studying for an exam. They didn't get a look at but my silly little holiday reading book  was read and left behind for the hotel small library.
So was Gerry studying  for an examination?

Nina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.16 13:45

I tend to agree on separating reading matter taken on holiday from the CEOP manuals allegedly in the possession of the McCanns.

Why were the McCanns allegedly in possession of CEOP manuals? Who gave said manuals to them and why? These are questions that have been asked many, many times. Is it because they were doctors? Is it because they weren't dim hoi polloi? Is it because they are credible liars? Is it because....fill in your own questions.

The basic thing to do is to confirm that the McCanns were indeed in possession of CEOP manuals, to ascertain who made them available and why, and to thoroughly scrutinise the reason that the parents of a missing child could possibly be accorded such a privilege in an ongoing investigation where it's the norm to place nearest and dearest in the frame to investigate/eliminate them from inquiries.

Perhaps someone might care to ask Gamble of the now no flags.

Do I still think it's a whitewash?

Yes I do.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by April28th on 19.07.16 13:54

@aquila wrote:I tend to agree on separating reading matter taken on holiday from the CEOP manuals allegedly in the possession of the McCanns.

I also agree, but we should bear in mind these books were observed on August 2nd, after a fair bit of travelling around, so we can't fairly say they were 'definitely' books taken in April.

April28th

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.16 14:09

@April28th wrote:
@aquila wrote:I tend to agree on separating reading matter taken on holiday from the CEOP manuals allegedly in the possession of the McCanns.

I also agree, but we should bear in mind these books were observed on August 2nd, after a fair bit of travelling around, so we can't fairly say they were 'definitely' books taken in April.
girlno

Keep your eye on the ball. Keep your eye on the CEOP manuals and keep asking questions about them and why they were allegedly in the possession of the McCanns.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by April28th on 19.07.16 14:22

More than alleged - you can see them in the extended video footage showing Eddie and Keela's searches. The date applies to them as well - by August Gerry especially had travelled plenty and its possible he obtained the manuals from England personally.

April28th

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.16 14:27

@April28th wrote:More than alleged - you can see them in the extended video footage showing Eddie and Keela's searches. The date applies to them as well - by August Gerry especially had travelled plenty and its possible he obtained the manuals from England personally.
It still comes back to who gave the CEOP manuals to anyone outside the UK police service. Who had access to those manuals outside the UK police service?

Keep your eye on the ball at all times.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 19.07.16 20:32

As I understood it, the books were all on the bedside table and included:

The interpretation of Murder
Every Second Counts
Spirit Messenger
Every Five Minutes
Missing and Abducted Children
A Book on child trafficking
CEOP manuals not for public reading

That would be a very strange collection of books for any library.

I have seen small libraries in the lounges of some guest houses but in a hotel room or an apartment, the only book that I have ever seen is a bible.

Can we really say that any of those books above are not part of Gerry's reading material?

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Ref; Interpretation of Murder

Post by willowthewisp on 20.07.16 13:52

"Creche Dad for Beginners" by DCI Andy Redwood after his revelation moment,calmly assisted by DCS Hamish Campbell and Sir Bernard Hogan Howe.  I would like to wish both Senior Detectives Andy And Hamish,a happy retirement after serving with due diligence for years service to the Metropolitan Police Force,"We're riding along on the crest of a wave"?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 20.07.16 13:53

Keep asking why CEOP manuals were allegedly in the possession of the McCanns.

Keep asking who had access to those manuals, released them and why.

Keep asking Jim Gamble what he thinks/knows about this.

Keep asking how many parents of missing children have EVER been given access to CEOP manuals.

Keep asking.

Keep your eye on the ball.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum