The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

NEWSFLASH! AFC Bournemouth promoted to Football's Premier League

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEWSFLASH! AFC Bournemouth promoted to Football's Premier League

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.04.15 21:49

Eddie Howe's men did it!

Bournemouth are in the Football League's Premier Division for the first time ever.

Bournemouth became my home in 1957 when the family moved there from Derby.  

My first-ever match at Dean Court was a 1st-round FA Cup match against Margate of the Southern League which Bournemouth were expected to win easily.

They lost 0-3.

But this season we had things like this:

Birmingham City 0 - Bournemouth 8:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNQ7bL3yS4

UP The Cherries!

10 minutes of beautiful Bournemouth...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOhw9i9DMg

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NEWSFLASH! AFC Bournemouth promoted to Football's Premier League

Post by sammyc on 27.04.15 21:52

I remember Ted MacDougall playing for Bournemouth then signing for Manchester United.

sammyc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.04.15 22:15

@sammyc wrote:I remember Ted MacDougall playing for Bournemouth then signing for Manchester United.
Yes, remember it all well.

During the sixties - I think it was when Bill McGarry was Player/Manager - Bournemouth signed an attacking wing-half called Bolton.

Standing in the main stand just to the right of the goalpost, Bolton fired a powerful shot inches wide - and I attempted to save it, the ball landing in the pit of my stomach.

The next thing I remember was waking up about half-an-hour later on the touchline, next to the substitute's bench.

My friends told me afterwards I'd been stretchered off, unconscious, out of the stand

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.04.15 22:23

@Tony Bennett wrote:Eddie Howe's men did it!

Bournemouth are in the Football League's Premier Division for the first time ever.

Just finished watching that. I don't think there's ever been a bunch of journeymen moulded into such a fearless and effective attacking side. Individually, the players CVs are beyond ordinary, but as a team they're absolutely devastating.

Under normal circumstances I would be confidently predicting a swift ejection from the Premier League, but I'm not sure - this manager seems to be very special indeed and we could be seeing the early stages of a remarkable career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.04.15 22:49

Clay Regazzoni wrote:
Just finished watching that. I don't think there's ever been a bunch of journeymen moulded into such a fearless and effective attacking side. Individually, the players CVs are beyond ordinary, but as a team they're absolutely devastating.

Under normal circumstances I would be confidently predicting a swift ejection from the Premier League, but I'm not sure - this manager seems to be very special indeed and we could be seeing the early stages of a remarkable career.
Yes, and I think this short profile of him by the BBC (20 April) explains why he is so special:

Eddie Howe: 'Quiet mouse' becomes manager of the decade

By Nabil Hassan BBC Sport

Eddie Howe has only been a manager for six years but has already achieved enough to be named as the first Football League manager of the decade.

Howe received the accolade at the 10th annual Football League awards ceremony as recognition for his achievements with Bournemouth.

In two spells, the former Cherries player has guided the club from Football League survival after a 17-point deduction in 2008-09 to within two games of reaching the top flight for the first time.

The 37-year-old is on course to become one of only a small selection of managers to have guided a team through three divisions into English football's top flight, but how has he done it?

Here BBC Sport speaks to three men who know Howe better than most.

'He was quiet as a mouse'

John Williams was in charge of Bournemouth's centre of excellence, first meeting Howe as a shy 13-year-old. The former Cherries defender has been a summariser for BBC Radio Solent for over 10 years, watching Howe learn his craft as a manager.

"He was quiet as a mouse. If you can imagine your first day at school, Eddie was like that for quite a while," Williams told BBC Sport. "In fact it nearly hindered him. There was an awful lot to come out in terms of personality and character. Tony Pulis [Bournemouth manager at the time] wasn't that sure whether he could come through. We had to get Tony to come down and watch him on a number of occasions before he took him on.

Howe spent more than a decade playing for Bournemouth, also in two different spells

"Once he got in the changing room, he found his feet. He was one of the boys. When you get in the first team, it's another cup of tea. I remember him being man of the match in his first game.

"He is a fantastic, polite lad, who has become determined, super hard and that's the reason why he is hopefully going to be picking up the Championship in two weeks' time.

"He's learned things from managers he's played under. He's had some crackers like Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth.

"This is the best Bournemouth side I have seen going back to 1986. I speak to fans of 50 and 60 years and they say they have never seen such dynamic football.

"The attention to detail is the one. He is always looking for that different edge, that little angle. How your team, plays, defends - he is always trying to pick up on something that is going to make a difference."

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES on 28.04.15 0:34

@sammyc wrote:I remember Ted MacDougall playing for Bournemouth then signing for Manchester United.

I believe Norwich had Ted Macdougall after Man U and he had two or three good seasons before moving on to Bournmouth after that.

MRNOODLES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 28.04.15 11:09

Showing my 'age', i, along with the whole 'crowd', remember shouting out at Bournemouth, 'c'mon Boscombe'!

Cos that was the original 'name' for the present day AFC Bournemouth.

A lot of 'ol' timers' still call AFC Bournemouth, 'Boscombe'.

The present football club can trace its roots as far back as 1890 when Boscombe St. Johns Institute Football Club were playing in local football. They disbanded in 1899 and from the remains of that club, Boscombe FC were formed at a meeting under the streetlights in Gladstone Road, Boscombe.

With the outbreak of war in 1914, the progress of the club was halted and they returned to the Hampshire league in 1919. The club was ambitious and when the Third Division was formed in 1920, they moved up to the highly competitive Southern League as many clubs in that league went on to form the Third Division.

After three years in the Southern League, the club applied for membership of the Football League. The application was accepted and Boscombe would be playing in the Third Division (South) in the 1923-24 season.

Bournemouth and Boscombe

At the public house where the side used to change before matches, The Portman Hotel, a meeting decided that the club would change its name to 'Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club'. The first ever league match was at Swindon on 25 August 1923 at Swindon where Bournemouth lost 3-1. The first ever league game at Dean Court was also against Swindon and it was against these opponents that Bournemouth gained their first ever league point in a 0-0 draw.

"C'MON BOSCOMBE!"

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaggzy on 28.04.15 14:07

@Tony Bennett wrote:Eddie Howe's men did it!

Bournemouth became my home in 1957 when the family moved there from Derby.  

My first-ever match at Dean Court was a 1st-round FA Cup match against Margate of the Southern League which Bournemouth were expected to win easily.

They lost 0-3.

But this season we had things like this:

Birmingham City 0 - Bournemouth 8:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNQ7bL3yS4

UP The Cherries!

10 minutes of beautiful Bournemouth...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOhw9i9DMg

I think maybe you're getting your fixtures mixed-up a bit here, Tony.

Bournemouth played Margate at home as you say in the FA Cup 1st round (back in 1970 or 71, not sure without googling it, it's just what I remember as a 10-year-old) and they beat them 11-0

That's correct ..... ELEVEN - NIL

The game is more famous because Ted MacDougall score NINE goals.

THREE HAT-TRICKS in one match.

I've got a feeling they will do better than people expect next season.

Gaggzy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 28.04.15 22:23

@Gaggzy wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:My first-ever match at Dean Court was a 1st-round FA Cup match against Margate of the Southern League which Bournemouth were expected to win easily.

They lost 0-3.

I think maybe you're getting your fixtures mixed-up a bit here, Tony.

Bournemouth played Margate at home as you say in the FA Cup 1st round (back in 1970 or 71, not sure without googling it, it's just what I remember as a 10-year-old) and they beat them 11-0

That's correct... ELEVEN - NIL
@ Gaggzy

No, I was right, Bournemouth 0 - Margate 3, match report here: http://www.margatefchistory.com/bourne61.shtml

It was 1961, which makes me 14 years old on that occasion.

@ jeanmonroe

Yes, remember it well: 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 - Who - do - we - appreci - ate? B - O - S - C - O - M - B - E Boscombe!

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 12.12.15 19:43

Last week: 

Chelsea 0 - Bournemouth 1

This week:

Bournemouth 2 - Manchester United 1.

Bring on Messi, Neymar and Suarez and the best of Barcelona!  

Bournemouth dressing room last week:

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cbeagle on 12.12.15 20:24

@Tony Bennett wrote:
This week:

Bournemouth 2 - Manchester United 1.

Great game, should have been 4-1 !!

cbeagle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 12.12.15 20:54

It's not fair.

Man Utd have spent more money than anyone over the last 25 years, Bournemouth should have shown some respect.

Do sponsorship deals of £100 million just for training kit not count for anything?

Tsk.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 17.12.15 12:31

@BlueBag wrote:It's not fair.

Man Utd have spent more money than anyone over the last 25 years, Bournemouth should have shown some respect.
Manchester United fan walks into his local travel agent and asks: "Can you recommend somewhere for a holiday in England?"

Travel agent replies: "You can't beat Bournemouth this time of year".

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 17.12.15 12:32

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:It's not fair.

Manchester United fan walks into his local travel agent and asks: "Can you recommend somewhere for a holiday in England?"

Travel agent replies: "You can't beat Bournemouth this time of year".
That's class. big grin

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

15 October 2016

Post by Tony Bennett on 15.10.16 23:39

BOURNEMOUTH SIX - Hull City 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_uqODDwcR0

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THAT is the cherry on the top >> Bournemouth 4 Liverpool 3

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.12.16 17:42

BOURNEMOUTH 4 - Liverpool 3

"Bournemouth have put the icing on the cake - and that is the cherry on the top"

Last-minute winner for Bournemouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPyWyUUKF3I

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRP on 05.12.16 19:11

I thought the game was over at 1-3, but there was some woeful defending from Liverpool. That doesn't take away anything from Bournemouth who fought to the end to come back and win 4-3.

JRP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum