The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

ECLIPSE 20 March 2015 - UK will see 85% to 98% of the sun covered, eclipse lasts from about 8.30am to 10.30am

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ECLIPSE 20 March 2015 - UK will see 85% to 98% of the sun covered, eclipse lasts from about 8.30am to 10.30am

Post by Tony Bennett on 19.03.15 14:32

The moon will also be as near to the earth as it comes, and at the very same time we get the Spring Equinox, 12-hour day, 12-hour night, earth's axis at a right angle to the sun...

...85% of sun covered in S.E. England...

...98% of sun covered in N.W. Scotland:

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2015-03-17/eclipse-what-could-we-see/

...but a cloud of French smog and cloud will stop people in southern England from seeing it very well

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ECLIPSE 20 March 2015 - UK will see 85% to 98% of the sun covered, eclipse lasts from about 8.30am to 10.30am

Post by Knitted on 19.03.15 14:48

...and something else I've just looked up that may be of interest to lovers of natural phenomenon:  The morning of the 22nd March, at least down here in the South East UK, will see us experiencing the lowest tide for years!!

(I'm aiming to get to Pegwell Bay in my wellies on the 22nd, as there are apparently the remains of two WW2 planes visible at very low tides! Though I may equally go looking for fossils off of Beltinge! Decisions, decisions!!)

Knitted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ECLIPSE 20 March 2015 - UK will see 85% to 98% of the sun covered, eclipse lasts from about 8.30am to 10.30am

Post by Guest on 19.03.15 17:10

I shall be working in an underground chamber tomorrow.

If I don't emerge, Day Of The Triffids style, as king of the zombie apocalypse, then I'll be a bit disappointed.

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 20.03.15 6:10

The sky here in the Midlands this morning is like porridge. I doubt observing an eclipse is on the cards.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.03.15 7:19

@aquila wrote:The sky here in the Midlands this morning is like porridge. I doubt observing an eclipse is on the cards.
They're reporting on the radio that Wales and the Midlands will have the clearest view.

Back to top Go down

Total eclipse in Australia

Post by Tony Bennett on 20.03.15 8:13

Ladyinred wrote:
@aquila wrote:The sky here in the Midlands this morning is like porridge. I doubt observing an eclipse is on the cards.
They're reporting on the radio that Wales and the Midlands will have the clearest view.
Total eclipse in Australia, 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbN_NZwiGs

...the sun completely disappears from view at 1 min 28 secs

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.03.15 8:38

It's beautifully clear here in Bournville.

Back to top Go down

Post by whatsupdoc on 20.03.15 8:39

I just checked with Stellarium which works on Windoze and Linux and saw the position of the Sun and Moon.

It was 0828 when the Moon started covering the RHS of the Sun.

It's pretty cloudy in the NW but even on a cloudless day there is always a haze in the sky probably caused by the chemtrails and the Sun always looks hazey. You can actually see white particles with a 50X camera or high power binoculars.

I'll take a careful peek around 0930   big grin

whatsupdoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20.03.15 8:42

Sunny in S. Wales.  Sky blue/grey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaggzy on 20.03.15 9:19

I'm out on my back deck with my two whippets and Mrs Gaggzy next to me. A lovely clear sky. I should have a great view.

Still time to grab another triple espresso.

Gaggzy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whatsupdoc on 20.03.15 10:31

Despite a lot of cloud , I did mange to see the eclipse and take some reasonable pix. It did go darkish around 0933.

I bet the birds thought it was a short night. Speaking of short knights under a cloud, I wonder if that excuse for a Sky reporter will turn up for the Coroner's Court this morning.

admin, that's a really nice pic of BL and her son.

whatsupdoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lioned on 20.03.15 16:50

I was on the Beach in Cornwall in 1999 to see the last 100% Eclipse.It was spectacular and spooky a once in a lifetime thing which you would go and see if you had a chance and we was there by accident.
The World goes very dark and eerily silent like entering a mystical vacuum,just for a few seconds.Then all the shit starts again !

Lioned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 21.03.15 7:23

Interesting how people are so fascinated by an eclipse.
Every day the moon, and in fact every other planet, casts a cylindrical shadow which courses across the solar system
Once in a while the earth gets in the way and we see it
It is happening today, but the shadow is 'missing' the earth.
It is not supernatural, it is not a miracle, it does not presage anything.
It is just what happens if you set one object spinning round in front of a bright object.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 21.03.15 14:34

I am in Corby, northantsand we had perfect clear skies and an amazing view of the eclipse.
I set up a pinhole camera since i couldn't find my solar glasses from last time.
I set up another pinhole camera with a smiley face made of pinholes to see what would happen and i got a whole bunch of eclipses, even my uncle with his buggered up eyesight could see it.

It was amazing to hear how everything went quiet as it got darker, it was like the world was holding its breath.
It got quite dark as we had about 90% or so darkness (think a very thin smile) and quite cool and then it was over and you could see it get lighter really quickly, it warmed up and the world breathed again.

The last one i saw  there were birds roosting in the tree at the bottom of my garden (sadly no tree these days) this time  once it reached its max and moved on all the birds started shouting again.

I tried to take pics but none came out in focus grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My two cats were unimpressed

What was interesting though is other locations in northants not far from me had lots of cloud hehe.

It is well known e have our own weather system as we are on the edge of the welland valley

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 21.03.15 14:51

This ACTUALLY made me 'laugh'!

There were two guys who held a 'colander' in front of a sheet of paper, with the sun shining through, giving them many 'holes', for a more 'dramatic' effect, to capture the eclipse.

As 'each' hole was 'covered' by moon's 'shadow'

One of the guys said, 'we gave up, because we couldn't tell which ONE of the 'holes' was the ACTUAL sun shining through'!

Speaking of 'sun'
-----------------------------------------
Algave 'resident' "the MET, always turns up when the sun starts to shine"

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 21.03.15 21:13

Total eclipse where I was. We couldn't see the sun at all. Same as most days at the moment.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 21.03.15 21:25

@Doug D wrote:Total eclipse where I was. We couldn't see the sun at all. Same as most days at the moment.
You must live in the south-east, like me. Low cloud and smog, apparently from Belgium and France, has covered us for days.

Sad to read about an entire primary school being banned from watching the eclipse direct - a victory for Hindu fundamentalism, to the evident dismay of non-Hindus :

Daily Telegraph:

A London primary school was criticised for banning children from watching the eclipse for “religious and cultural reasons.

Pupils at North Primary School in Southall were stopped from watching the solareclipse directly and had to observe it on screens instead.

Sometimes known as Little India, Southall is a diverse community in west London with a large Hindi population.

Although headteacher Ivor Johnstone would not comment on what the ‘religious and cultural’ reasons were, some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure. And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness...

[The head teacher] Mr Johnstone, said: “The school made this decision when we became aware of religious and cultural concerns associated with observing an eclipse directly. Although we are sorry for any disappointment, pupils were still able to watch the eclipse on screens in classrooms.

“However, the overcast conditions in West London today meant they would not have been able to see it live in any case.”

Phil Belman, whose seven year old daughter goes to the school, told The Evening Standard: “I am extremely upset about it. My child went in having spent an hour preparing and making up her pinhole camera. This is an issue about scientific matters versus religious superstition..."

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 21.03.15 21:40

Thanks for that TB. Honestly don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Headmaster should be crucified:

“However, the overcast conditions in West London today meant they would not have been able to see it live in any case.”

So he clearly KNEW it was complete and utter bollocks, yet went along with it.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi on 29.09.15 10:09

For those that missed the Super Blood Moon and Total Eclipse, watch this video absolutly fantastic.

http://www.news24.com/Live/World/WATCH-Timelapse-video-shows-Super-Blood-Moon-moving-across-night-sky-20150928

jozi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum