The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Which party do you want to win the next election?

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who do want to win the next election?

12% 12% 
[ 8 ]
21% 21% 
[ 14 ]
1% 1% 
[ 1 ]
46% 46% 
[ 31 ]
3% 3% 
[ 2 ]
17% 17% 
[ 12 ]
 
Total Votes : 68

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 06.05.15 10:57

@BlueBag wrote:
Speaks for itself doesn't it.

Incidentally, not a single prospective candidate has knocked my door, only the incumbent Green Party councillor for whom I shall be voting as he does a good job.  I've had a few last minute fliers posted through the door and that's it. Perhaps the incumbent party are so smug that they can rely on years of being voted in. Perhaps the other party hopefuls are not so hopeful. Either way they're not out knocking doors in my little close...or maybe I mistook the couple of ladies who knocked the door the other day toting clipboards as another charity collection - well they weren't wearing rosettes you see. laughat

It's the eve of a general election and I'm reduced to trying to understand tactical voting in order to elect the lesser 'evil'. I've even checked tomorrow's weather forecast to make sure I won't have an excuse for not turning up to vote such is the lethargy and disappointment I feel about UK politics. If I thought voting UKIP would make a big difference I'd give them my X.

No-one has knocked my door. A few leaflets doesn't cut it for me. Knocking the door tonight will be a waste of time.

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Angelique on 06.05.15 11:34

@aquila wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:
Speaks for itself doesn't it.

Incidentally, not a single prospective candidate has knocked my door, only the incumbent Green Party councillor for whom I shall be voting as he does a good job.  I've had a few last minute fliers posted through the door and that's it. Perhaps the incumbent party are so smug that they can rely on years of being voted in. Perhaps the other party hopefuls are not so hopeful. Either way they're not out knocking doors in my little close...or maybe I mistook the couple of ladies who knocked the door the other day toting clipboards as another charity collection - well they weren't wearing rosettes you see. laughat

It's the eve of a general election and I'm reduced to trying to understand tactical voting in order to elect the lesser 'evil'. I've even checked tomorrow's weather forecast to make sure I won't have an excuse for not turning up to vote such is the lethargy and disappointment I feel about UK politics. If I thought voting UKIP would make a big difference I'd give them my X.

No-one has knocked my door. A few leaflets doesn't cut it for me. Knocking the door tonight will be a waste of time.


aquila

I'm not sure if I should say "lucky you" and "lucky you"! 

No flyers to speak of and no knocking on your door.

I have had so many flyers I started to wish it was wallpaper.

Even the Postman was stuffing more in my letter box.

At least four a day from activists for about 3 weeks.

My re-clycling bin is overflowing. 

Still un-decided. 

May flunk altogether!

____________________
Things aren't always what they seem

Angelique

Posts : 1396
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2010-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 06.05.15 11:46

Angelique, I live in an area where it's a safe seat. Margaret Thatcher changed the boundaries to deal with any dissenting vote. I don't live in the posh end but the posh end for starters will all turn out to vote (in their Chelsea Tractors) and the non posh end on the whole won't bother to vote.

I believe in Australia it's mandatory to vote. I'm actually all for that - even if you spoil the paper.

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Richard IV on 06.05.15 11:55

@plebgate wrote:Thing is we just can't trust what they say (Lib Dems).  Tuition fees being a very good example.

Also the leaked documents last week (Danny Alexander) and this week Lord( whatever his name) making public a private conversation between Clegg and Cameron.

Just how they think that will gain the public's trust I have no idea and would not touch them with a barge pole.  (Sorry, so so sorry).   ha ha ha.
The tuition fees I can forgive - being in a coalition they couldn`t have everything their own way.  They did try though.

Richard IV

Posts : 531
Reputation : 250
Join date : 2015-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 06.05.15 12:20

The bedroom tax needs to be abolished immediately by any elected party. Whatever small difference it's made to the public coffers (can you imagine the cost of implementing and controlling such a policy) it has brought very real hardship to the many thousands who claim benefits through no fault of their own. It's not as if there is available housing for people to move. It is without doubt in my mind the most singularly heinous policy. The poverty trap was tightened like a razor wire around the necks of those who are branded daily as a sub-culture. I believe it's something like £12.50 per spare bedroom per week and affects all other benefits. I'm not on benefits but I know people who are. I've seen the massive amounts of documentation that's shoved through their letterboxes day after day. I don't understand the calculation minefield.

The fact remains there is no social housing. Private landlords charging extortionate rents abound and anyone caught in the poverty trap is a victim. Working people paying tax are victims too.

This is also the destruction of communities. Some people might say it's wrong for a person to have brought up a family in a council house to then still be resident when they have an empty nest and so they must either pay a bedroom tax or ship out. Ship out to where? What happened to these people's investment in a community for years? For goodness' sake not all council estates are/were dreadful and the rents aren't cheap either. Not everyone living on a council estate is rotten. When a community is treated as baggage and made to become transient that's the end of anything good about society.

just my little rant.

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by plebgate on 06.05.15 13:09

@Richard IV wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Thing is we just can't trust what they say (Lib Dems).  Tuition fees being a very good example.

Also the leaked documents last week (Danny Alexander) and this week Lord( whatever his name) making public a private conversation between Clegg and Cameron.

Just how they think that will gain the public's trust I have no idea and would not touch them with a barge pole.  (Sorry, so so sorry).   ha ha ha.
The tuition fees I can forgive - being in a coalition they couldn`t have everything their own way.  They did try though.
Fair enough but I can't forgive them.  Should have tried a bit harder and stuck by the pledge they gave to young people.   To treble the fees was taking the proverbial imo, especially when families have more than one going to uni.

Couldn't trust them then and wouldn't trust them now.

plebgate

Posts : 5447
Reputation : 1164
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Tony Bennett on 06.05.15 13:23

@Tony Bennett wrote:Here goes with my General Election predictions:

1. Conservatives to lose 20 seats but end up 24 seats ahead of Labour

2. Labour a net gain of only 2 seats (lose 39 in Scotland, gain 41 elsewhere

3. Liberal Democrats to lose more than half their seats

4. Scots Nats to gain 46 seats, ending up with 52

5. Right-and-centre leaning parties (Con, UKIP, Lib Dem Dem Union & Ulster Union) to gain 321 seats

6. Left-leaning parties (Lab, ScotNat, WelshNat, Green, SDLP, George Galloway) to gain 318 seats 

7. The 11 others are 5 Sinn Fein who don't take their seats, the Speaker and 5 assorted Independents

8. David Cameron asked by the Queen to form a government and will succeed on the above figures...

9... But if Labour get 260 or more seats, Miliband stands a better chance of forming a government.


IN DETAIL

Conservative 282 (down 20)

Labour 258 (up 2)

Liberal Democrat 27 (down 29)
 
ScotNat 52 (up 46)

WelshNat 3 (as now)

UKIP 3 (up 1)

Independents 5 (as now)

Green 1 (as now)

George Galloway 1 (as now)

Northern Irleand seats (17)

Dem Unionist 8 (as now)

Sinn Fein 5 (as now)

SDLP 3 (as now)

Ulster Unionist 1 (up 1)

Alliance NIL (down 1)    




P.S. @ BlueBag   Stunning illustration of the picture having the power of 1,000 words
Well, this betting tipster in the Independent recommends you have a flutter on Labour who are currently 4-1 AGAINST winning the most seats:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-odds-nigel-farage-to-lose-and-labour-to-win-the-most-seats--the-best-tips-on-betting-on-may-7-10228318.html#

3. Who will win the most seats? Labour at 4/1

"Those building models out of all the data suggest that the Conservatives will win the most seats. Whilst I think that is the most likely scenario, I think Labour have more of a chance to win most seats than their current price of 4/1 suggests. Why is that? The polls from England and Wales, which suggest a range of 3.6 to 5.1 per cent of a swing to Labour, would actually be enough, if universal, to see Labour win most seats. Clearly, we have to factor in a myriad of local issues - marginal constituencies, the widening scope of smaller parties in different regions - but still, I think the race for most seats is tighter than the bookmakers do. Therefore, that 4/1, for Labour to win the most seats, is a bet I would take because it is playing the probabilities."

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13977
Reputation : 2149
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Joss on 06.05.15 15:59

@aquila wrote:Angelique, I live in an area where it's a safe seat. Margaret Thatcher changed the boundaries to deal with any dissenting vote. I don't live in the posh end but the posh end for starters will all turn out to vote (in their Chelsea Tractors) and the non posh end on the whole won't bother to vote.

I believe in Australia it's mandatory to vote. I'm actually all for that - even if you spoil the paper.
Yes you're right it is and a $50 fine if you are on the electoral roll and don't vote. Just tell them its against your religion and they are fine with that smilie

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Guest on 06.05.15 16:25

@aquila wrote:The bedroom tax needs to be abolished immediately by any elected party. Whatever small difference it's made to the public coffers (can you imagine the cost of implementing and controlling such a policy) it has brought very real hardship to the many thousands who claim benefits through no fault of their own. It's not as if there is available housing for people to move. It is without doubt in my mind the most singularly heinous policy. The poverty trap was tightened like a razor wire around the necks of those who are branded daily as a sub-culture. I believe it's something like £12.50 per spare bedroom per week and affects all other benefits. I'm not on benefits but I know people who are. I've seen the massive amounts of documentation that's shoved through their letterboxes day after day. I don't understand the calculation minefield.

The fact remains there is no social housing. Private landlords charging extortionate rents abound and anyone caught in the poverty trap is a victim. Working people paying tax are victims too.

This is also the destruction of communities. Some people might say it's wrong for a person to have brought up a family in a council house to then still be resident when they have an empty nest and so they must either pay a bedroom tax or ship out. Ship out to where? What happened to these people's investment in a community for years? For goodness' sake not all council estates are/were dreadful and the rents aren't cheap either. Not everyone living on a council estate is rotten. When a community is treated as baggage and made to become transient that's the end of anything good about society.

just my little rant.
Aquila, your comment about no social housing is not correct.  There are hundreds of housing associations around the country, most of which are not-for-profit.  They provide high quality, affordable homes to those on low incomes.  Unfortunately the government has pledged a right-to-buy for tenants, similar to Thatcher's for council tenants, in a bid to win votes. Many housing associations are registered charities, so Cameron's promise might not come to fruition.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Knitted on 07.05.15 0:22

I turn up and make my voice heard by spoiling my vote.  I do this because I do not trust any candidates to work objectively for the greater good and because the candidates' parties perpetuate the kleptocratic system of rule that has been in force in Britain since the Norman Conquest.

My MP has held his seat for over 30yrs and in 2010 he received 52.7% of votes from a 63% turnout.  What annoys me is that you never see the 'spoiled' votes reported in the constituency data after the initial count and declaration. This means my vote that says that no candidates satisfy my requirements is simply ignored and discounted.  That's not democracy.  Therefore, since for the first time we have a Green candidate, I'm seriously toying with the idea of actually casting a vote. I'm really torn as I feel pressured to do this to get my vote actually appearing on record... but I don't want to appear as if, by participating, I'm condoning the undemocratic system we're given.

What a quandary Sad

____________________
Justice...  Fought for by the masses. Purchased by the wealthy. Traded by the powerful.

Knitted

Posts : 240
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2015-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 07.05.15 2:31

@BlueBag wrote:

Apparently, That picture isn't entirely accurate....http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/the-menace-of-memes-how-pictures-can-paint-a-thousand-lies/

You could argue it is no different than what MPs have been doing forever.

TheTruthWillOut

Posts : 733
Reputation : 16
Join date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by BlueBag on 07.05.15 7:04

@TheTruthWillOut wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:

Apparently, That picture isn't entirely accurate....http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/the-menace-of-memes-how-pictures-can-paint-a-thousand-lies/

You could argue it is no different than what MPs have been doing forever.
It touched a nerve with someone.

If it's not exactly accurate, anyone who has watched Parliament TV will know it's not exactly inaccurate.

BlueBag

Posts : 3437
Reputation : 1276
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by BlueBag on 07.05.15 7:10

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/only-21-out-650-mps-attend-parliamentary-debate-uk-drug-laws-1472586

Only 21 out of 650 MPs Attend Parliamentary Debate on UK Drug Laws

BlueBag

Posts : 3437
Reputation : 1276
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by BlueBag on 07.05.15 7:18

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-58411/MPs-vote-yes-extra-31-000.html

MPs vote yes to an extra £31,000

The pay rise, passed by a majority of 234, hands MPs a £2,000 increase this year, followed by a further £2,000 next year.

Only 42 MPs voted against the rise. 

Abstentions ?

People can quibble about the images all they like, they do demonstrate the truth.

BlueBag

Posts : 3437
Reputation : 1276
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by rainbow-fairy on 07.05.15 8:38

@Google.Gaspar.Statements wrote:
@Gaggzy wrote:I was disappointed that there wasn't a NONE OF THE ABOVE option.
Sorry blushing1
Same here, Gaggzy... I'm dreading results... imo all parties promise the earth, get in n suddenly just care about lining their dirty pockets n covering up their sleaze  sad

____________________
"Ask the dogs, Sandra" - Gerry McCann to Sandra Felgueiras



Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

Posts : 1971
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2011-05-26
Age : 42
Location : going round in circles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by BlueBag on 07.05.15 8:45

Welfare Reform Debate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16855728


Here's a snip from the actual BBC video of the debate on the web page.






I would guess that most MPs didn't give a toss.

BlueBag

Posts : 3437
Reputation : 1276
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by BlueBag on 07.05.15 8:47

Possibly THE most important subject to be debated in Parliament:



The crux of the matter... where are they all?

BlueBag

Posts : 3437
Reputation : 1276
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by plebgate on 07.05.15 8:47

@BlueBag wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-58411/MPs-vote-yes-extra-31-000.html

MPs vote yes to an extra £31,000

The pay rise, passed by a majority of 234, hands MPs a £2,000 increase this year, followed by a further £2,000 next year.

Only 42 MPs voted against the rise. 

Abstentions ?

People can quibble about the images all they like, they do demonstrate the truth.
Yep and there's not a thing we can do about it.   Not a thing.

plebgate

Posts : 5447
Reputation : 1164
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 07.05.15 10:16

Ladyinred wrote:
@aquila wrote:The bedroom tax needs to be abolished immediately by any elected party. Whatever small difference it's made to the public coffers (can you imagine the cost of implementing and controlling such a policy) it has brought very real hardship to the many thousands who claim benefits through no fault of their own. It's not as if there is available housing for people to move. It is without doubt in my mind the most singularly heinous policy. The poverty trap was tightened like a razor wire around the necks of those who are branded daily as a sub-culture. I believe it's something like £12.50 per spare bedroom per week and affects all other benefits. I'm not on benefits but I know people who are. I've seen the massive amounts of documentation that's shoved through their letterboxes day after day. I don't understand the calculation minefield.

The fact remains there is no social housing. Private landlords charging extortionate rents abound and anyone caught in the poverty trap is a victim. Working people paying tax are victims too.

This is also the destruction of communities. Some people might say it's wrong for a person to have brought up a family in a council house to then still be resident when they have an empty nest and so they must either pay a bedroom tax or ship out. Ship out to where? What happened to these people's investment in a community for years? For goodness' sake not all council estates are/were dreadful and the rents aren't cheap either. Not everyone living on a council estate is rotten. When a community is treated as baggage and made to become transient that's the end of anything good about society.

just my little rant.
Aquila, your comment about no social housing is not correct.  There are hundreds of housing associations around the country, most of which are not-for-profit.  They provide high quality, affordable homes to those on low incomes.  Unfortunately the government has pledged a right-to-buy for tenants, similar to Thatcher's for council tenants, in a bid to win votes. Many housing associations are registered charities, so Cameron's promise might not come to fruition.
Ladyinred, you're quite right I should have written 'not enough social housing'.

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 07.05.15 10:18

A Gamble tweet

Jim Gamble @JimGamble_INEQE  ·  11h 11 hours ago
Journalism is dead, @BBCNewsnight is embarrassing, funny, but embarrassing but definitely not any type of recognisable serious journalism.

.....................................................

If Carling did irony...

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

UKIP need a 'confidence and supply' arrangement with another party to run this forum

Post by Tony Bennett on 07.05.15 10:49

Election day has come, and on CMOMM it is clear that UKIP is the largest party on the forum.

By convention, the Queen must therefore ask UKIP to form a government of the forum.

The problem is that UKIP, with 31 votes, does not have an overall majority.

We will therefore need to form a coalition with another party, or at any rate have a 'confidence and supply' arrangement with one.

I feel sorry, so so sorry, for the Lib Dems, and would like UKIP to form an alliance with them, but with the Lib Dems only attracting one vote on the forum, UKIP will still not have have an overall majority.

The forum must therefore be run by UKIP in alliance with another party.

Labour came second in our poll.

So maybe the forum should be run by a UKIP-Labour alliance?


I DECLARE THAT THE VOTES CAST FOR EACH PARTY ON THE FORUM WERE AS FOLLOWS:
Conservatives 11% [ 7 ]
Labour 20% [ 13 ]
LibDems 2% [ 1 ]
UKIP 47% [ 31 ]
Green Party 3% [ 2 ]
Other 17% [ 12 ]

Total Votes : 66

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13977
Reputation : 2149
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by PeterMac on 07.05.15 11:41

Of course what people would like to happen may be different from what they realise will happen.

Perhaps may people who would, in a perfect world, like to see PR, and UKIP and the Greens having a decent share of MPs will, on the day, on mature refection, understand that their particular candidate is not going to get in, and cast their vote accordingly.

The only thing we can all hope for and probably agree on, is that Mitchell loses his deposit.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by aquila on 07.05.15 11:53

@PeterMac wrote:Of course what people would like to happen may be different from what they realise will happen.

Perhaps may people who would, in a perfect world, like to see PR, and UKIP and the Greens having a decent share of MPs will, on the day, on mature refection, understand that their particular candidate is not going to get in, and cast their vote accordingly.

The only thing we can all hope for and probably agree on, is that Mitchell loses his deposit.
I've just voted. I voted for a party that is unlikely to get in but what the hell. I took a taxi (it's a bit of a schlep to the polling station) and the taxi driver asked me who I'd voted for. He gave me a Cadbury's Creme Egg and charged me half fare. laughat

I voted UKIP for Government and the Green Party for Council.

aquila

Posts : 7953
Reputation : 1174
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by rainbow-fairy on 07.05.15 12:33

@PeterMac wrote:Of course what people would like to happen may be different from what they realise will happen.

Perhaps may people who would, in a perfect world, like to see PR, and UKIP and the Greens having a decent share of MPs will, on the day, on mature refection, understand that their particular candidate is not going to get in, and cast their vote accordingly.

The only thing we can all hope for and probably agree on, is that Mitchell loses his deposit.
Let's hope for just that, PeterMac... winkwink

____________________
"Ask the dogs, Sandra" - Gerry McCann to Sandra Felgueiras



Truth is artless and innocent - like the eloquence of nature, it is clothed with simplicity and easy persuasion; always open to investigation and analysis, it seeks exposure because it fears not detection.

NORMAN MACDONALD, Maxims and Moral Reflections.

rainbow-fairy

Posts : 1971
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2011-05-26
Age : 42
Location : going round in circles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which party do you want to win the next election?

Post by Joss on 07.05.15 12:45

@aquila wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:Of course what people would like to happen may be different from what they realise will happen.

Perhaps may people who would, in a perfect world, like to see PR, and UKIP and the Greens having a decent share of MPs will, on the day, on mature refection, understand that their particular candidate is not going to get in, and cast their vote accordingly.

The only thing we can all hope for and probably agree on, is that Mitchell loses his deposit.
I've just voted. I voted for a party that is unlikely to get in but what the hell. I took a taxi (it's a bit of a schlep to the polling station) and the taxi driver asked me who I'd voted for. He gave me a Cadbury's Creme Egg and charged me half fare. laughat

I voted UKIP for Government and the Green Party for Council.
That was sweet of the taxi driver, smilie

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum