The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

***NEW 14.10.16 - CHED EVANS NOT GUILTY*** (was: CHED EVANS WINS APPEAL 21.4.16 RAPE CONVICTION QUASHED*** (was: Ched Evans case))

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 18.01.15 23:08

I used this case to begin a discussion on rape, yes. Had you all read my first post you could have noticed ages ago. My issues arising from this case were;

The legal definition of consent
Whether the general public's understanding of rape matches the legal definition
Whether public opinion should dictate to employers whom they should or should not employ
Whether or not women in particular should contribute to their own safety

Everyone has joined in on this debate, despite not knowing what I was actually talking about? Oh dear.............should I apologise or should someone have mentioned that only facts are allowed here, not theoretical debates?

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ***NEW 14.10.16 - CHED EVANS NOT GUILTY*** (was: CHED EVANS WINS APPEAL 21.4.16 RAPE CONVICTION QUASHED*** (was: Ched Evans case))

Post by ultimaThule on 18.01.15 23:33

@G-Unit wrote:
@The Infidel wrote:Do we know if the woman's tweets were referring to compensation from this case? I read today on the chad evans website that you should come to your own conclusions about the link between any compensation and those tweets.
I found this;
21 were arrested, and after ten pleaded guilty to breaching the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act in 2012, they were ordered to pay her compensation totalling just £6,000.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2793263/football-rapist-s-victim-hiding-two-year-internet-hate-campaign-attacker-s-supporters-break-law-reveal-twitter.html#ixzz3PDH1n7LK 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It is alleged that she said;
she'd 'hit big' and was going to buy a pink mini or two 

These are the tweets attributed to the victim on Evans' website:

‘Remind me never to tell @XXXXXXX when I win big!.....  She’s going to kill me! #scaredformylife! Haha!’

‘@XXXXXXX I will get us matching pink Mini Coopers! Haha! Just seen them pictures on Facebook, I forgot bout XXXXXXX! Haha! X’

‘@XXXXXXX I’ll make all your dreams come true XXXXXXX haha.’

‘@XXXXXXX aww,well obvs I’d treat us to an amazing holiday x’.

accompanied by the following:  "All these (sic) tweets were tweeted by the complainant between 8 October 2011 and 15 November 2011, approximately 5 months after Ched and Clayton McDonald had been charged with rape and approximately 5 months before Ched was convicted and Clayton acquitted.(nb: my underlining)

All of the above is entirely accurate and whilst it does not in any way confirm the meaning of the ‘win big tweets’, one could perhaps draw their own conclusions.

The nine individuals who were charged with tweeting the complainant’s name shortly after Ched was convicted, were all ordered to pay compensation of £624.00 each to the complainant and not fined which is most unusual.  Only a fraction of those tweeting or re-tweeting were prosecuted.  There were 6,000 hits about it on Twitter alone."

From which it is clear that at the time she made the 4 abovementioned tweets, if in fact she did, the victim could not have known that she would 'win' the trial let alone 'win big' and, as can be seen by their content, they could have been made in response to a completely unrelated matter or simply be the musings of someone who plays the lottery or other game of chance.  

With regard to the c£5,700 the victim was subsquently awarded by way of compensation from those, including Evans' cousin Gemma Thomas, who breached her lifelong right to anonymity shortly after his conviction, these piecemeal awards cannot be said to be 'winning big' nor does it appear that the victim has sought to profit financially by selling her story to the tabloids or similar.  

Evans, on the other hand, can be said to have 'won big' in pocketing a sum in excess of £240,000 by continuing to receive his £20,000 per week wages from Sheffield United for some months after the date of his conviction
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2796174/ched-evans-paid-20-000-week-sheffield-united-convicted-rape-blades-honoured-contract.html

I note that upthread you have confidently asserted that "the woman did have a history in the Evans case but the jury didn't know because the defense are only allowed to refer to a victim's character if the prosecution do it first" and, as I can find no reference elsewhere to this victim's history, would ask you to share your knowledge here, G-Unit.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ***NEW 14.10.16 - CHED EVANS NOT GUILTY*** (was: CHED EVANS WINS APPEAL 21.4.16 RAPE CONVICTION QUASHED*** (was: Ched Evans case))

Post by The Infidel on 19.01.15 7:52

G-unit, IMO, and the CPS even if a woman is a criminal, drunk, unsavoury etc...doesn't mean that her rape is any less of an ordeal compared to a sober, savoury etc woman. It's an old fashioned idea to think that only a certain kind of person gets raped, then 'cries' rape. That's why the CPS decided NOT to allow the victims character to be part of a defence in these cases. I read that there was a complaint against a family member of yours and it turned out to be false. These false allegations are very rare but unfortunately the media likes to print these stories giving rise to a sort of 'false allegation' hysteria. I detest anyone who makes up an allegation, but it is rare.

You say that in this case there was no violence. Those violent stranger rapes are rare compared to acquaintance rape. Alcohol is involved in a lot of these cases, so I can see why the law on this is what it is! It's a problem. 

If you want the women to take some responsibility for 'getting herself' into that situation, do you equally feel that the men involved should take responsibility for 'finding themselves' in such a situation?

The Infidel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 19.01.15 10:38

Firstly, I should have said it was alleged that the victim in the Evans case had a doubtful past. Sorry, I responded to Tony's comment about her in a bit of a hurry. My source was the Evans' website, I must admit. 

Secondly, I am old-fashioned if that means I believe that women should take responsibility for what they do and for the situations they find themselves in. Otherwise we are back to another old fashioned view of women as being mindless idiots wandering around waiting to be preyed on by unscrupulous men. I think women and men owe it to themselves to behave sensibly and to treat each other with respect. In the real world, however, many don't. 

Some years ago police were hunting a man in the Midlands, UK who preyed on women living alone, broke in and raped them at knifepoint in the night. Open and shut and truly awful for the victims, they would have trouble feeling safe ever again I would imagine.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/319446.stm

According to the law today if I agree to sexual intercourse while drunk I may be too drunk to consent and may have been raped. Would my trauma equal that of the victims in the above case? IMO it would not.

In the Evans case I have no idea if the woman was traumatised as rumour has it that she said she had no memory of the events at all. It has been said that she fell over drunk in a Kebab shop, urinated in a shop doorway and wet the bed at the hotel. If all that is true I would have been humiliated and ashamed at having that in the public domain.

I have no idea how many false allegations of rape are made. HMIC reported recently that police do not always record offences for various reasons. I assume that some of those included cases where they decided that taking a case forward to court would be a waste of time. Many rapes are not even reported either of course. Unless we know the details and why they weren't reported it's difficult to comment on this. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine any woman who was a victim of the rapes I described above not reporting it. 

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi on 19.01.15 12:32

@aquila wrote:
@G-Unit wrote:Thanks for the links ultima. Here is my first post. You may be discussing the Evans case/male on female rape, but that was not what I originally wanted to discuss.

I have been reading up on this case due to it's prominence in the news lately. I believe that rapists should feel the full weight of the law, but this case makes me very uneasy. I think that Evans has nothing to be proud of, and he may have committed the crime as defined in law, but is that definition realistic?
All I can keep thinking is that although you have read what's in the press, you haven't read the court transcripts of this individual case.
Exactly, Please read the transcripts and see that this filthy pig did NOT go into the hotel room with this woman,his friend another footballer did (he did not get sentenced because it was consensual and she went willingly into the room and they had sex). OK you following G-Unit ? His mate Chad Evans swapped places with his friend unbeknown to the girl. He raped the girl while all his friends were watching and recording it and having such a laugh and giggle !!!

friends Boys will be boys eh !!!

jozi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 19.01.15 13:32

Reading this shows just what a complex matter sexual offences are, doesn't it? There are also cases which don't get to this stage, called 'no crime' by the police who don't even record them. Others do not proceed after consideration by the CPS  Those which do proceed to prosecution are sometimes downgraded, so a reported rape may be prosecuted as a lesser crime. More interesting reading here;
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales
Some men are aware of the pitfalls. In one case of false allegation the men concerned filmed everything on their mobile phones and were able to prove that they did not commit any offence whatsoever against the complainant.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 19.01.15 13:35

@jozi wrote:
@aquila wrote:
@G-Unit wrote:Thanks for the links ultima. Here is my first post. You may be discussing the Evans case/male on female rape, but that was not what I originally wanted to discuss.

I have been reading up on this case due to it's prominence in the news lately. I believe that rapists should feel the full weight of the law, but this case makes me very uneasy. I think that Evans has nothing to be proud of, and he may have committed the crime as defined in law, but is that definition realistic?
All I can keep thinking is that although you have read what's in the press, you haven't read the court transcripts of this individual case.
Exactly, Please read the transcripts and see that this filthy pig did NOT go into the hotel room with this woman,his friend another footballer did (he did not get sentenced because it was consensual and she went willingly into the room and they had sex). OK you following G-Unit ? His mate Chad Evans swapped places with his friend unbeknown to the girl. He raped the girl while all his friends were watching and recording it and having such a laugh and giggle !!!

friends Boys will be boys eh !!!
Where are the transcripts? Have you read them? I can't afford to pay for them unfortunately.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Infidel on 19.01.15 15:14

Very complex, G-Unit. That's why I think it's really cruel the way victims are treated as suspect. The figures clearly show that false allegations are rare. The general public haven't cottoned on yet. The media doesn't help.  We mostly hear about brutal stranger rapes and then 'false accusations' where the common theme tends to be that the accused is known to the complainant. Personally, I think that filters through to the public consciousness as 'being dragged in a bush by a stranger' is awful, but if you know the perp, then that's when the doubt starts creeping in. People seem more comfortable believing things like 'oh, she's a goldigger...cheat-got-caught..attention seeker...malicious etc, than dealing with the fact that someone like your ordinary joe next door could violate someone. 

As for Evans, like some others here have said - no way should a convicted rapist return to his cushy lifestyle! Since when is it socially acceptable to be a rapist?

Also, does anyone know if the slimeball friends got charged with anything? They recorded it on their phones, surely that's a crime....

The Infidel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by secrets and lies on 19.01.15 16:02

I notice it's reported today that Evan's cousin is one of the people arrested for naming the victim. And the cousin is a woman.

secrets and lies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 19.01.15 16:52

@The Infidel wrote:Very complex, G-Unit. 
Indeed. After 70 years on this earth I am no nearer to understanding human nature than I ever was. Everyone is a mixture of good and bad, it seems to me. People lie, cheat, steal and ruin their own and their loved one's lives on a daily basis, often connected to power, money or sex. Are they evil? Not necessarily. The same person who does nasty things can be lovely in other ways, which is why families stand by them I suppose. 

William Golding's Lord of the Flies was a good study of the contradiction between human nature and individual welfare and the common good.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Infidel on 19.01.15 17:16

I agree! 

One case that is not complex is the Maddy case!  thumbup

The Infidel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 19.01.15 17:58

@The Infidel wrote:I agree! 

One case that is not complex is the Maddy case!  thumbup
Ha ha. I'll just have my dinner & then we'll show those two police forces, loads of P.I.'s and innumerable internet posters how to do it, shall we?

Mr Mr Mr Mr

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi on 20.01.15 7:45

@secrets and lies wrote:I notice it's reported today that Evan's cousin is one of the people arrested for naming the victim. And the cousin is a woman.
Yes she has had 2 new identities and been named both times, his family are the driving force to give his victim a terrible reputation !!! She has been threatened with violence and her family intimidated........nice family the Evens's in their quest to show Chad is innocent !!!

Shame on them and his girlfriend and her father who stands by him !!!

jozi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Infidel on 20.01.15 8:20

It's appalling! G-Unit, I know you have said that in your opinion, the victim didn't seem to be traumatised....she certainly will be now! 

Jozi, in my experience - that's the arrogance of these people. They do what they do because they have no empathy for their victims. If the victim has the audacity to report it....expect an onslaught! They act like they are the victims. It turns my stomach!

I was wondering whether the slimy friends of Evans had been charged with recording the incident?

The Infidel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 20.01.15 10:03

G-UnitSome years ago police were hunting a man in the Midlands, UK who preyed on women living alone, broke in and raped them at knifepoint in the night. Open and shut and truly awful for the victims, they would have trouble feeling safe ever again I would imagine. wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/319446.stm

According to the law today if I agree to sexual intercourse while drunk I may be too drunk to consent and may have been raped. Would my trauma equal that of the victims in the above case? IMO it would not.

In the Evans case I have no idea if the woman was traumatised as rumour has it that she said she had no memory of the events at all. 
Just for the record this is what I said about trauma, I think.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 20.01.15 10:29

@G-Unit wrote:
G-UnitSome years ago police were hunting a man in the Midlands, UK who preyed on women living alone, broke in and raped them at knifepoint in the night. Open and shut and truly awful for the victims, they would have trouble feeling safe ever again I would imagine. wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/319446.stm

In the Evans case I have no idea if the woman was traumatised as rumour has it that she said she had no memory of the events at all. 
Just for the record this is what I said about trauma, I think.
Just for the record G-Unit, you have absolutely know idea of the trauma, just a rumour.

This is where it comes down to the court transcripts.

I must say, I'm losing patience with your position in the debate.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 20.01.15 11:45

I have made my position clear and don't think I need anyone to demonstrate patience with my position in this debate. it is not an unusual position on the internet, although it is unpopular with certain sections of internet users. Anyone feeling impatient with my position is free to cease partaking.

On the subject of Court transcripts, they are not records of the truth, they are quite simply a record what happened in court.  Cases which are later proved to be miscarriages of justice have transcripts also. I am not saying that the Evans case was a miscarriage of justice, either, before anyone shouts at me, I am genuinely wondering why transcripts are so important.

Unless degrees of trauma were discussed in court reading the transcripts will not tell us whether the complainant experienced trauma or how much she experienced. I have said I have no idea how traumatised this woman was, unlike others who seem to be insisting that they do know.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jozi on 21.01.15 7:50

@G-Unit wrote:I have made my position clear and don't think I need anyone to demonstrate patience with my position in this debate. it is not an unusual position on the internet, although it is unpopular with certain sections of internet users. Anyone feeling impatient with my position is free to cease partaking.

On the subject of Court transcripts, they are not records of the truth, they are quite simply a record what happened in court.  Cases which are later proved to be miscarriages of justice have transcripts also. I am not saying that the Evans case was a miscarriage of justice, either, before anyone shouts at me, I am genuinely wondering why transcripts are so important.

Unless degrees of trauma were discussed in court reading the transcripts will not tell us whether the complainant experienced trauma or how much she experienced. I have said I have no idea how traumatised this woman was, unlike others who seem to be insisting that they do know.

AND I REST MY CASE.......!!!

jozi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 21.01.15 17:26

Looking back at your posts your 'case' seems to be that Ched Evans is a filthy pig, a depraved pervert and a disgusting rapist who took over from his friend without the girl knowing.
Both men said she consented as far as I know. The jury decided she wasn't in a fit state to consent anyway and convicted Evans. Were you there? You should be a witness if you know she didn't say anything.
His 'nice' family 'were the driving force' behind the campaign to give the victim a terrible reputation. One of the nine was his cousin, I don't know if the others were related to him or not, or whether she urged all the others on. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-20207408

His girlfriend and her father should be ashamed. Why? because they forgave him and believe him when he says he didn't commit rape? Quite commendable and courageous I thought. Much easier to walk away.
You tell me I should read the transcripts of the trial, suggest that you have read them, but have not confirmed that you have. 
Have you read them I ask again?
You say he should not be allowed to have his job back because footballers are role models.
I don't know if they are role models or not. If they are role models for children then parents should explain to youngsters what kind of person is or is not a worthy role model. Legally there is nothing to stop him returning to his job. 
All IMO as usual, my remarks in red mostly. Your remarks condensed from your posts on this subject.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 29.01.15 10:09

CPS new guidlines being discussed;

The Wright Stuff
2 hrs · 

'RAPE: HOW DO YOU PROVE WOMAN SAID YES? 
First up: we'll hear what you make of the CPS's new rape guidelines that say a man must prove a woman consented to sex with him. Prosecutor Alison Saunders believes the no must mean no concept doesn't account for women who are unable to consent, perhaps because they've had a few too many? Fair enough. But how is a man expected to prove consent? Does he need to get the woman to sign a declaration? Record her making a voice memo? What if neither can remember who said what the next morning?'

As I have said previously, it is very difficult for a man to prove he had consent. An unscrupulous woman can always say later that it was obtained by coercion. I know there are those who believe that only men behave unscrupulously, but I'm not one of them. Also. is this putting the onus on the accused to prove his innocence, rather than on the prosecution to prove guilt?

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 29.01.15 11:51

More on rape laws;
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/campaigners-hail-dpps-tough-new-rape-guidelines-as-huge-step-forward-10009595.html

Interestingly, the above article repeats the assertion that 85,000 women are raped each year. This figure is taken from the Crime Survey for England and Wales. The survey for 2014-2015 will interview 50,000 households. When the interviewer arrives at the property they ask who lives there and select one person to answer the survey. If that person refuses they cannot be replaced by someone else. So - 50,000 people or less will be interviewed. Their answers are used to assume what the results would be if every one of the 23.4 million households in England and Wales was actually included in the survey. Personally I doubt that the answers of 50,000 people or less can be used to assume what the answers would be if 23.4 million people were questioned. 

In reality, the 85,000 figure was an estimate based on three years Crime survey responses;

'It is estimated that 0.5 per cent of females report being a victim of the most serious offences of rape or sexual assault by penetration in the previous 12 months, equivalent to around 85,000 victims on average per year'
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/214970/sexual-offending-overview-http

In the 2011 census there were 28.5 million women in England and Wales. Maths is not my strong point, but is 0.5% of 28.5 million 85,000? I make it more, but corrections welcomed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18838540

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ched Evans case

Post by G-Unit on 29.01.15 12:48

It will be interesting to see if this law is against the UN Declaration on human rights;

1.  Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defense.

http://www.humanrights.com/what-are-human-rights/videos/innocent-till-proven-guilty.html

If a woman reports a rape to police, the man involved is going to be expected to show police how he obtained her consent;

In investigations detectives are expected to establish what steps, if any, a suspect took to obtain the complainant’s consent. The prosecution must prove that the suspect did not have a reasonable belief that the complainant was consenting.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/28/rapists-social-media-cover-tracks-police-cps-rape

So what steps should a man take? Should he, for example, carry a breathalyzer to check the woman's degree of sobriety? What degree of sobriety guarantees that she is sober enough to consent? How will he then show she did consent; a signed form? She may say he threatened her to sign it. If he films her saying yes she may say he was holding a knife off camera. Does he stop passing strangers, ask them to witness her consent and provide contact details in case she later accuses him of rape? Once sex has commenced, he must keep checking too, in case she has changed her mind. How many 'are you sure's can anyone endure before the mood is completely destroyed? 

I think rapists should be prosecuted but I think the law on rape is becoming farcical.

G-Unit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Infidel on 29.01.15 16:57

I really do hope that this fresh evidence unheard in the trial has nothing to do with the accusers character!

The Infidel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum