The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Another case - Last person to see them alive is charged.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another case - Last person to see them alive is charged.

Post by PeterMac on 12.11.14 17:30

Chilling parallels, in actions and speech.

After years of making pleas, denials, "passing" lie detectors, he has been charged with four murders.
see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD8iPEoj4eg

then http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510247/Prime-suspect-McStay-murder-mystery-breaks-silence.html

EXCLUSIVE - Best friend, business partner and suspect: Man who was last to see McStay father alive breaks silence to reveal new clues in mystery murder of family who vanished

• Chase Merritt, 56, has been accused of having a hand in the disappearance nearly four years ago of the McStay family
• Broke his silence with MailOnline after family's remains were found in a shallow grave in the desert last Friday
• Says he voluntarily took a lie detector test when family left their home in a hurry in 2010
• Husband Joseph McStay called his phone at 8.28pm that night but Merritt bitterly regrets not answering because he was watching a film
• Claims wife Summer McStay was insanely jealous with 'one hell of a temper' but can't believe she played a role
• Believes there's no way the McStays would have wanted to move to Mexico 
• Says 'honest guy' Joseph would never have done deal with Mexican cartels
• Fully expects to be interviewed again by detectives after bodies were found
He was the one who first went round to the McStay’s house, realized they were missing and helped the family call the Sheriff
He gave a lie detector test to police because they were convinced he knew where the McStays were
He completely dismissed security footage showing the family apparently crossing the Mexican border, saying it definitely wasn’t them, because Joseph ‘walked like a duck’
No one can explain how a seemingly normal suburban family who only moved into their new home in Fallbrook, California, three months earlier, could be living a regular life one day and then vanish the next. 
They took none of their belongings, left $100,000 in the bank and even abandoned their beloved dogs.

Merritt reacted angrily to veiled accusations from Michael and Joseph's father, Patrick, that he had something to do with the disappearance
Mr Merritt said: 'They found the car about four days after they went missing, so who knows what they could have found if I’d have reported it straight away.
'I desperately regret that we didn’t tell the police sooner.'
'What do they know?' Hitting back at McStay family suspicions
On Monday Joseph’s dad gave an interview stating he thought there were three prime suspects in the case, one of whom was a former business partner with a criminal history. 
Mr Merritt is not sure whether he is the man in question, but he dismissed the claims either way.
Finally he said: ‘I am convinced the police will be back in touch with me, I’m surprised they haven’t been already.  
'San Bernardino County have said they are going to start the investigation over from the beginning and if they do they’ll have to talk to me. But I will just tell them the same as I did the last time.
‘All I want is for them to find the a*******s who did this’.

and then
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2830629/Grandfather-murdered-McStay-family-says-KILL-business-partner-son-charged-slaughtering-four-victims-burying-shallow-desert-grave.htm

PUBLISHED: 01:20 GMT, 20 November 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2830629/Grandfather-murdered-McStay-family-says-KILL-business-partner-son-charged-slaughtering-four-victims-burying-shallow-desert-grave.html
Grandfather of murdered McStay family says he would kill business partner of his son charged with slaughtering the four victims and burying them in a shallow desert grave
• Patrick McStay if left alone with murder suspect only one would leave
• Is father to Joseph McStay, who was murdered alongside wife and two sons
• Charles 'Chase' Merritt, a friend of Joseph, has been charged with murders
• McStays went missing in 2010, were found buried in Mojave Desert last year 
Merritt himself has always denied the murders - and spoke at length with MailOnline last year about the McStay family.
He claimed to have taken and passed a lie detector test to remove himself from suspicion. He also said he hoped authorities would: 'find the a*******s who did this'.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another case - Last person to see them alive is charged.

Post by ultimaThule on 13.11.14 2:57

As I'm sure you know, in the literal sense the killer is always the last person to see the victim alive, PeterM, and it often transpires that whoever is known to have been the last person to have seen the victim alive is their killer.  

Wiki gives a succinct account of the McStay case to date http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McStay_family_murder from which it can be seen that, although it's almost 5 years since the family disappeared, Merritt wasn't indicted for the murders until a week or so ago.  

Given that the bodies were recovered a year ago, it seems unlikely that any significant forensic evidence was found to link Merritt with the murders and I shall watch with interest to see if the case for the prosecution is as circumstantial as it would appear to be at the present time.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 13.11.14 9:12

In that video clip he emphasises that he WAS the last person to see them alive, which is very strange behaviour.
How would he know ? Unless he knew.
Surely a better answer would be, 'Obviously not, I saw them at X hrs on D Day, but obviously the person who took them away . . .
But these people don't think straight. Their brain leaks information.

In another case the person who did an alleged check at 9:30 backed down very quickly and wriggled out of being in that position by saying he had NOT actually SEEN the person in question, thus dumping that on someone else
if you see what I mean.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 13.11.14 9:39

@PeterMac wrote:In that video clip he emphasises that he WAS the last person to see them alive, which is very strange behaviour.
How would he know ? Unless he knew.
Surely a better answer would be, 'Obviously not, I saw them at X hrs on D Day, but obviously the person who took them away . . .
But these people don't think straight.  Their brain leaks information.

It's a dead giveaway. Their brian leaks and they can't control the leak because they're unaware of the leak.

Just like in the other case :
The fragrant Mrs K said "I was there..... I know what happened...."
And the conceited Mr G said " not as bad ......as the night we found her...."

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 13.11.14 11:51

"The last person to see X alive" is what the police determine during their investigation, and then home in
It is not what a witness decides

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 13.11.14 15:10

@PeterMac wrote:"The last person to see X alive" is what the police determine during their investigation, and then home in
It is not what a witness decides

Remind me:

WHO was the very, very, last person, (admitted) of the T9, to see Madeleine, ALIVE, in her bed?

Rhetorical!

No matter how MANY 'witnesses' OG, T9 put forward, nobody, i repeat, NOBODY 'saw' Madeleine AFTER her father's 'check' on her!

JT certainly didn't!

The entire Smith family certainly didn't!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kimHager on 13.11.14 16:35

Exactly jeanmonroe....i think the dp sighting was meant to be the last sighting (tm was sure to go that route) but then jt all boiled down to GM being the last person....ibelieve it was GM and KM to see her alive or the poor twins....the prob cc meta, SGT

kimHager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kimHager on 13.11.14 16:39

Sorry my daughter hit buttons and send lol....the problem is TM knew it was essential to put SOMEONE as the last person to see maddy on the3rd...but imo no one but dp took the bait and GM was still seen as the last person...jmo

kimHager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 13.11.14 20:13

On Peter Hyatt's blog we flagged this guy up for deception and also the dead man's brother.

how did the brother know they would be found in 2 adult graves?

is this a case of both being involved to take over the business?

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 14.11.14 7:20

When speaking of one of the victims, Joseph McStay, in the video clip, Merritt's emphatic statement 'I was most definitely the last person he saw alive' may prove to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I'm interested in the business, Hobs, as it seems to me that creating water fountains which may need to be fashioned from metal or concrete affords opportunity for other materials to be used to pack out any hollow areas within the interior and it appears that Mr McStay was something of a stickler for staying within the law.  .  

In a case closer to home, Dr MO didn't see the victim but, while standing in the living room, he saw her slumbering siblings and the rise and fall of their chests through the closely knit mesh of the travel cots which were situated in the darkened bedroom.  As he didn't observe any residual light in the room from the open window and shutter, or slamming doors, or curtains whooshing in the wind, should we conclude that the victim most probably vanished after his 9.30pm check?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 14.11.14 10:10

@ultimaThule wrote:
In a case closer to home, Dr MO didn't see the victim but, while standing in the living room, he saw her slumbering siblings and the rise and fall of their chests through the closely knit mesh of the travel cots which were situated in the darkened bedroom.  As he didn't observe any residual light in the room from the open window and shutter, or slamming doors, or curtains whooshing in the wind, should we conclude that the victim most probably vanished after his 9.30pm check?
Or in the alternative, that she was not there at the time of his alleged visit, and not available for him to see.
That pushes the Last person back to Gerry, and the last independent person to the alleged Payne.
But both of those are so extremely suspicious that they can be cheerfully ignored.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa on 14.11.14 10:42

@PeterMac wrote:

But both of those are so extremely suspicious that they can be cheerfully ignored.

clapping

Praiaaa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 14.11.14 11:22

@PeterMac wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:
Or in the alternative, that she was not there at the time of his alleged visit, and not available for him to see.
That pushes the Last person back to Gerry, and the last independent person to the alleged Payne.

13-Processos Volume XIII, Pages 3909-3915  
Document missing from DVD: Processo Volume XIII, Page 3909.
In a memorandum dated 24 October 2007 (Processo Volume XIII, Page 3909) reference is made to a document written by Dr David Payne which document had been read carefully by British Detective Constable Mike Marshall, the author of the memorandum.
The document written by Dr Payne is not in the DVD.
13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3909

13_VOLUME_XIIIa_Page_3910

To: Ricard Paiva
Ref: David Payne
Date: October 24, 2007

Leicester Police Constabulary

Ricardo,

As requested, appended are the statements of Arul and Katherina Gaspar.

"I read carefully the written document/questionnaire provided by David Payne."
but was not able to extricate any other information besides what is already known. He declares that he saw Madeleine, for the last time, at 17H00 on 3/5/07 in the McCann apartment. Also present there were Kate and Gerry. He did not indicate the motive for being there or what he was doing. He also cannot indicate how long he stayed.

When asked with whom he was on the afternoon of May 3rd, he declares that this information was already offered to the police and cannot remember if anyone else was there.

He does not remember what he was wearing that afternoon.

He took part in the searches, having carried out most of them alone. He was at times accompanied by Matthew Oldfield.

He did not partake in the searches realized on the 4th of May, because, on this day, he spent to majority of time in the police headquarters.

For many questions, he does not give a complete response, affirming simply that he has already given this information to the Portuguese police in his declarations.

I examined once again the declarations of Fiona Payne. In her depositions, she states that she went to the McCann apartment, around 19H00, on the 3rd of May, together with Kate. She states afterwards that, 10 minutes later, the husband arrived; it is not clear which husband she refers to.

Her responses to the questions are vague. She continued to respond to questions with "they conform with my earlier deposition" or some similar statement.
-------------------------------------------------------

"He (David Payne) declares that he saw Madeleine, FOR THE LAST TIME, at 17H00 on 3/5/07 in the McCann apartment."

(Remarkable, really, as he was AT THE BEACH, at 1700hrs)
--------------------------------------------------
"I examined once again the declarations of Fiona Payne. In her depositions, she states that she went to the McCann apartment, around 19H00, on the 3rd of May, together with Kate"

So, DP, NOT the LAST 'independent' to 'visit' G5A.
--------------------------------------------

BUT:
As PM has astutely observed "both of those are so extremely suspicious that they can be cheerfully ignored"

Might be 'ignored' by hard nosed, career, elite, experienced, detectives, at OG, but not my (my?) BY, people who have actually taken time to 'read' what 'files' are available, legally.

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum