The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

"Cover up?" WHAT 'cover up"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Cover up?" WHAT 'cover up"?

Post by jeanmonroe on 30.10.14 17:42

http://news.sky.com/story/1363658/fresh-scandal-over-historical-sex-abuse-inquiry

Fresh Scandal Over Historical Sex Abuse Inquiry

The Government is facing a second controversy over its official inquiry into child sex abuse between the 1970s and 1990s.

17:30, UK, Thursday 30October 2014

Fiona Woolf has faced calls to resign over her links with Lord Brittan

The head of an official inquiry into historical child sex abuse is under renewed pressure over her links to the Tory grandee at the centre of the scandal.

Fiona Woolf has faced calls to resign over her personal contact with Lord Brittan, who was in charge of the Home Office in the 1980s.

Now it has emerged that a letter she wrote to Home Secretary Theresa May was re-written, with Home Office assistance, seven times to downplay her links.

Keith Vaz, who chairs the Home Affairs select committee, said: "It is extraordinary that Mrs Woolf did not even write the first draft of her letter which was supposed to detail her own personal experiences.

"The letter then underwent seven drafts with a multiplicity of editors. The final version gave a sense of greater detachment between Lord and Lady Brittan and Mrs Woolf than her previous attempts."

It is the second scandal over the inquiry since its launch earlier this year.

The first person appointed to lead the investigation, Baroness Butler Sloss, had to quit because of allegations she was too connected with the events of the past.

Mr Vaz said: "The lessons of the Butler-Sloss appointment and resignation have not been learned."

The inquiry is examining whether alleged abuse by politicians and other powerful figures between the 1970s and 1990s was swept under the carpet.

More follows....

beware   "Cover up"?   lalala  Surely NOT!  laughat

eta: 'rumours' are, 'witnesses' were/are being 'coached' how NOT to answer er, um, 'awkward' questions.

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Cover up?" WHAT 'cover up"?

Post by Doug D on 30.10.14 19:25

And I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt following her initial Home Affairs Select Committee interview!

Sorry!

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 30.10.14 20:09

The Sky report above quotes pretty much verbatim from the official press release, with the exception of the last paragraph:

‘There should have been full disclosure of this information before, not after, her appointment. The Committee will consider the issue of her recall at its meeting on Tuesday 4th November.’

Not much to consider is there?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 30.10.14 20:25

The people who rule us are deeply, deeply corrupt.

Time for a revolution.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 30.10.14 21:59

Interesting that Keith Vaz MP seems to be casting off his previous cloak and stepping up to the plate.
Has ha had a Road to Damascus moment ?

He seems to have been relatively free from scandal and criminality since about 2008 ! Which for an MP is good !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 30.10.14 22:18

UK Elections 7 months time.   Those MPs who have some nous know that the interneters are reading and watching the media.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 30.10.14 23:02

@BlueBag wrote:The people who rule us are deeply, deeply corrupt.

Time for a revolution.

I know Russell Brand is rather manic but he really shows the establishment up for what they are and exposes our ever polarising society.

Shame he is so manic because he`ll never be taken seriously.  He does make me laugh though.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 31.10.14 14:32

I know Russell Brand is extremely rather manic moronic but he really shows the establishment up for what they are and exposes our ever polarising society.

Shame It's good he is so manic moronic because he`ll never be taken seriously.  He doesn't make me laugh in the slightest though.

In my opinion, of course! titter

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 31.10.14 14:34

@plebgate wrote:UK Elections 7 months time.   Those MPs who have some nous know that the interneters are reading and watching the media.
Yeah, but they'll be basing their pitches on Immigration, Immigration, Immigration!

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils on 31.10.14 14:48

Time for a revolution.
agree

Lance De Boils

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by banshee on 16.11.14 0:45

@Woofer wrote:

Time for a revolution.

I know Russell Brand is rather manic but he really shows the establishment up for what they are and exposes our ever polarising society.

Shame he is so manic because he`ll never be taken seriously.  He does make me laugh though.

He made me laugh too .. hysterically .. because there's nothing funny at all about the awful injustice of people working hard for Asda/Walmart in say Wyoming, for example, earning $5.15 an hour .. ok, other States, like DC, go up to $11.50 p.h. .. a whopping £7.34 .. whilst the Walmart offspring have more money than 180 million working class Americans .. how sad is that .. we thought slavery was abolished  ?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/state-minimum-wage-chart.aspx

banshee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 16.11.14 1:43

@Lance De Boils wrote:

Time for a revolution.
agree

The elite are certainly taking the p.

It's difficult for the mass of people to act in solidarity in current circumstances, but things can change quickly.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on 16.11.14 4:12

@Okeydokey wrote:

It's difficult for the mass of people to act in solidarity in current circumstances, but things can change quickly.

I believe things have already started to change. After decades of successful establishment cover-ups the following have been exposed:

1. The Catholic Church child-abuse spanning the globe and 40 years
2. Care home abuse throughout the UK covered up since the 1970s at least
3. Jimmy Saville and other 'celebrity' abuse
4. Westminster child-abuse

All have the same thing in common - power. And in all cases that power was used first to abuse and then to cover-up that abuse.

So why have they only now come to light? I believe the answer is the internet. Especially in the last 5 years or so Twitter, Blogs and Forums have exploded across the internet. Suddenly a series of geographically scattered, smart and committed individuals can 'act in solidarity'. Something that has until now been utterly impossible. And given the nature of the internet, the 4 establishments listed above (currently) have little power to control it. So yes, things CAN happen quickly - in the space of 5 years all of the above have been systematically exposed - despite the significant and ongoing foot-dragging from each of the organisations involved.

This is why we are seeing increasing government effort to regulate the internet. The "right to be forgotten" was a crucial initial victory for government to shut down this uncontrollable 'union of the people'. Further legislation against 'disruptive or unhelpful' content is sure to follow. Making it easier to sue and win libel suits may be next. Will it be enough for the establishment to take back information control? I sincerely hope not.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.11.14 9:43

Bishop - child abuse within Catholic church care homes goes back further than forty years, sadly.

Back to top Go down

Post by banshee on 16.11.14 10:16

Bishop Brennan, I agree with you that the internet, along with mobile phones, have been a fabulous resource and brought like-minded people together that only 20 years ago would've been unimaginable !

The 'Powers that Be' must be quaking in their boots scrabbling for a way to censor   things .. as you say, let's hope this doesn't happen  drinks

banshee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillsloppingout on 16.11.14 11:48

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@Okeydokey wrote:

I believe things have already started to change.  After decades of successful establishment cover-ups the following have been exposed:

All have the same thing in common - power.  And in all cases that power was used first to abuse and then to cover-up that abuse.

So why have they only now come to light?   I believe the answer is the internet.  Especially in the last 5 years or so Twitter, Blogs and Forums have exploded across the internet.  Suddenly a series of geographically scattered, smart and committed individuals can 'act in solidarity'.    Something that has until now been utterly impossible.   And given the nature of the internet, the 4 establishments listed above (currently) have little power to control it.  So yes, things CAN happen quickly - in the space of 5 years all of the above have been systematically exposed - despite the significant and ongoing foot-dragging from each of the organisations involved.  

This is why we are seeing increasing government effort to regulate the internet.  The "right to be forgotten" was a crucial initial victory for government to shut down this uncontrollable 'union of the people'.  Further legislation against 'disruptive or unhelpful' content is sure to follow.  Making it easier to sue and win libel suits may be next.  Will it be enough for the establishment to take back information control?  I sincerely hope not.

One point that is overlooked . Bar Saville who if it had a pulse , and sometimes not, he'd sh*g it . most of the above are acts of Homosexual activity against young boys . The unpalitable truth being ,most pedophiles who are outed and acts of this nature tend to be administered by Homosexual's . Is it a lust thing ? .

stillsloppingout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Realist on 16.11.14 12:19

Time for a revolution.

I'm afraid its way past that stage, you'd need to go back at least 25 yrs. to make any kind of corrections to the balance of power. In 1991, they came for your animals with the Dangerous Dogs act, In 1998, they came for your guns with the Firearms act, in 2002 they came for your money and assets with the Proceeds of Crime act, in 2003,, they came for for your right to a fair trial with the Criminal Justice bill, in 2007, they came for your benefits with the Welfare Reform act. T'would appear the only people they didn't come for were the McCanns.

Inbetween those acts, they enslaved the nation in debt, subjected its citizens to the most intrusive Big Brother surveillance state on the face of the planet  and eroded just about every civil liberty our forebears had fought and died for, not to mention making the UK one of the most extortionately priced states to subsist in. Just about one of the only legal rights a UK citizen has left is to breath, go to work and pay extortionate taxes. Oh! and to possess GPS tracking devices perhaps more affectionately known as 'mobile phones' in order to track their subject's every move.

If Chris Grayling has his way with opting out of the European Human Right's act and replacing it with a British Bill of Rights, the only the only right you will retain is to have mandatory CCTV installed in your bathrooms.

Realist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 16.11.14 17:52

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@Okeydokey wrote:

I believe things have already started to change.  After decades of successful establishment cover-ups the following have been exposed:

All have the same thing in common - power.  And in all cases that power was used first to abuse and then to cover-up that abuse.

So why have they only now come to light?   I believe the answer is the internet.  Especially in the last 5 years or so Twitter, Blogs and Forums have exploded across the internet.  Suddenly a series of geographically scattered, smart and committed individuals can 'act in solidarity'.    Something that has until now been utterly impossible.   And given the nature of the internet, the 4 establishments listed above (currently) have little power to control it.  So yes, things CAN happen quickly - in the space of 5 years all of the above have been systematically exposed - despite the significant and ongoing foot-dragging from each of the organisations involved.  

This is why we are seeing increasing government effort to regulate the internet.  The "right to be forgotten" was a crucial initial victory for government to shut down this uncontrollable 'union of the people'.  Further legislation against 'disruptive or unhelpful' content is sure to follow.  Making it easier to sue and win libel suits may be next.  Will it be enough for the establishment to take back information control?  I sincerely hope not.
Another issue with trying to censor the Internet is its international nature. You could find a way to block sites in the UK, I suppose, but if laws are different elsewhere, what's to stop you going to another country's site, with different laws and get all the information you want? Copyright laws are a prime example of this. In some countries copyright has expired on works and they are available to download for free, whereas in others they might still be under copyright. So, are you going to be a law-abiding citizen and not download that book you want? Are you even going to make the effort to find out whether it is legal in your country, or not? The Internet is just too difficult to regulate so laws that used to apply now make no sense because they are so difficult to enforce. And even if a government set up ways to block sites, there would always be people working out ways to get around it. For example, BBC iPlayer is only available if you like in the UK. Try and get in directly from a foreign country and you'll get an 'I'm sorry, but...' message. In reality it's very easy to get into if you know where to go and what to click (not that I have ever done so, you understand), so all that security and virtual posturing is a waste of time and effort. The only way I can see to put a stop to the sharing of information outside the traditional medias channels, and get control back, would be to shut down the entire Internet!

In my opinion.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.11.14 7:57

Never mind, if the internet is ever locked down, we can always rely on the old posties to get our messages across.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 17.11.14 8:44

...If they aren't too busy delivering Kate's advertising messages on their gadgets.

In my opinion.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum