The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Mm11

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Mm11

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Regist10

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case"

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Empty Re: James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case"

Post by ultimaThule 29.10.14 21:01

Joss wrote:A bit OT but i didn't realise Ben Affleck made a movie about Madeleine.

Ben Affleck: Why my 'Madeleine' film had to be pulled

Striking similarities with the McCann case have delayed the UK release of Ben Affleck's first film as a director. He talks to John Hiscock
Ben Affleck film halted in UK over Madeleine McCann concerns
Iain Gray: Not everything is about Madeleine
The search for Madeleine McCann

Ben Affleck had not heard of the case of Madeleine McCann when he put the finishing touches to Gone Baby Gone, the provocative thriller that marks his directing debut.
But when the film's British distributors pointed out it bore marked similarities to Madeleine's case, he immediately went along with their decision to pull it from the line-up of the London Film Festival and suspend its release in the UK indefinitely, even if it means that cinemagoers in Britain will have to wait a long time to see his maiden directing effort.
"Disney UK made the decision to postpone the movie but I absolutely support it and I'm pleased by what I think is erring on the side of good taste," he says.
"There's no rush. It's obviously a sensitive time and if there are any similarities we can wait to distribute the movie in the UK.
"I was only vaguely aware of the Madeleine case because it wasn't a big thing here in the United States. Maybe I'm out of it because I don't read many newspapers, but I didn't really know much about it until somebody said, 'Hey, there may be some similarities.'?"
Gone Baby Gone, set in Affleck's home town of Boston and based on a hard-boiled detective novel by Dennis Lehane, could be the movie that gains the likeable Affleck the film industry respect that his varied but usually mediocre film roles have yet to earn him.
He does a creditable job of directing his emotionally wrenching story. The movie's missing four-year-old girl, named Amanda McCreadie and portrayed by a young actress named Madeleine O'Brien, bears a strong resemblance to Madeleine McCann and, as in the McCann case, the hunt for her is conducted in the glare of the media spotlight.
But the similarities end there: the movie veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/starsandstories/3668478/Ben-Affleck-Why-my-Madeleine-film-had-to-be-pulled.html

I missed Ben Affleck's film 'Gone Baby Gone' too, Joss, but it isn't about Madeleine per se and, although the release of this film to UK cinemas may still be on hold, it is available to download or buy on dvd - which, given that it's based on a novel by Dennis Lehane of Mystic River fame, has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes rating, and garnered a slew of prestigious awards, I intend to do tonight

While John Hiscock's Telegraph article dated October 2007 has it that the similarities end when the movie "veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers" it seems to me that, 7 years on, the writer may have cause to eat rewrite his words yes
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Empty Re: James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case"

Post by columbostogeys 30.10.14 12:36

ultimaThule wrote:
Joss wrote:A bit OT but i didn't realise Ben Affleck made a movie about Madeleine.

Striking similarities with the McCann case have delayed the UK release of Ben Affleck's first film as a director. He talks to John Hiscock

Ben Affleck had not heard of the case of Madeleine McCann when he put the finishing touches to Gone Baby Gone, the provocative thriller that marks his directing debut.
But when the film's British distributors pointed out it bore marked similarities to Madeleine's case, he immediately went along with their decision to pull it from the line-up of the London Film Festival and suspend its release in the UK indefinitely, even if it means that cinemagoers in Britain will have to wait a long time to see his maiden directing effort.
"Disney UK made the decision to postpone the movie but I absolutely support it and I'm pleased by what I think is erring on the side of good taste," he says.
"There's no rush. It's obviously a sensitive time and if there are any similarities we can wait to distribute the movie in the UK.
"I was only vaguely aware of the Madeleine case because it wasn't a big thing here in the United States. Maybe I'm out of it because I don't read many newspapers, but I didn't really know much about it until somebody said, 'Hey, there may be some similarities.'?"
Gone Baby Gone, set in Affleck's home town of Boston and based on a hard-boiled detective novel by Dennis Lehane, could be the movie that gains the likeable Affleck the film industry respect that his varied but usually mediocre film roles have yet to earn him.
He does a creditable job of directing his emotionally wrenching story. The movie's missing four-year-old girl, named Amanda McCreadie and portrayed by a young actress named Madeleine O'Brien, bears a strong resemblance to Madeleine McCann and, as in the McCann case, the hunt for her is conducted in the glare of the media spotlight.
But the similarities end there: the movie veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/starsandstories/3668478/Ben-Affleck-Why-my-Madeleine-film-had-to-be-pulled.html

I missed Ben Affleck's film 'Gone Baby Gone' too, Joss, but it isn't about Madeleine per se and, although the release of this film to UK cinemas may still be on hold, it is available to download or buy on dvd - which, given that it's based on a novel by Dennis Lehane of Mystic River fame, has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes rating, and garnered a slew of prestigious awards, I intend to do tonight

While John Hiscock's Telegraph article dated October 2007 has it that the similarities end when the movie "veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers" it seems to me that, 7 years on, the writer may have cause to eat rewrite his words yes
I watched it way back and it was nothing like the McCann case. I quite enjoyed the film and the ending was as I expected. I never could understand why it was pulled.

columbostogeys

Activity : 177

Back to top Go down

Post by columbostogeys 30.10.14 12:41

Miraflores wrote:Much more like the case of the little girl who disappeared from an Army base supermarket in Germany, Katrice Lee, but who got nothing like the publicity which Madeleine McCann did.
Yes I remember that case well, being in the forces at the time it kind of made it so personal. They never found her though sadly. I think her case far more reflects the series The Missing then the McCanns.

columbostogeys

Activity : 177

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30.10.14 13:10

I don't remember the Katrice Lee case getting any publicity whatsoever at the time. I'm sure that it would have stuck in my mind as my son was then a year older than her and, like all parents, I'd had the odd fright of my life when he wandered off in a shop.

It was maybe 10 years later that I read something about the case.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 30.10.14 13:39

But the similarities end there: the movie veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers. THAT'S ALLRIGHT THEN!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 30.10.14 14:29

Portia wrote:

But the similarities end there: the movie veers into a realm of drug dealers, ex-convicts, child abusers, broken families and bitter police officers.   THAT'S ALLRIGHT THEN!
The highlighted bit.
I dispute that the similarities end there, I would say every one of those ingredients is becoming more and more apparent in the McC recipe.
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 30.10.14 15:01

I missed Ben Affleck's film 'Gone Baby Gone' too, Joss, but it isn't about Madeleine per se and, although the release of this film to UK cinemas may still be on hold, it is available to download or buy on dvd - which, given that it's based on a novel by Dennis Lehane of Mystic River fame, has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes rating, and garnered a slew of prestigious awards, I intend to do tonight.

I'm sure I saw it on TV, the film's debut was delayed for 6 months. I'm glad I watched it but it was so heavy going, surely nobody swears as much as the whole lot of them did in this film (excepting for Morgan Freeman). That's what made me nearly turn it off - and I would have done but I wanted to see why the release date was set back - nothing like the McCanns' case I thought.
And I don't think the McCann ending - if there ever is one- will be anywhere like the film's either.
Casey5

Activity : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut 30.10.14 15:13

Like others have said, this movie has little in common with this case outside a young girl going missing.

The tabloids did what they always do.....2+2=5. The 3 year old actress' real name was Madeleine so therefore it must be about her! roll

Edit: About the Missing. I don't hold out too much hope it being any better than say Broadchurch but there are some plot points that might be interesting (the reporter and French CID officer for example)

I just worry it turns out like Broadchurch which IMO was a traditional 2 hour drama stretched out to 8 hours. Not helped by the fact it gave away who the perp was in the first episode.
TheTruthWillOut
TheTruthWillOut

Activity : 754

Back to top Go down

Post by Joss 30.10.14 15:40

ultimaThule wrote:

Thanks for your clarification about the movie. I haven't seen it myself and had not heard of it, but there was mention of it on another site i was reading, so i googled and watched a trailer about it on youtube that only went for a couple of minutes. Maybe i will download if i can and watch the full version.
Joss
Joss

Activity : 2154

Back to top Go down

Post by galena 01.11.14 15:48

Casey5 wrote:I missed Ben Affleck's film 'Gone Baby Gone' too, Joss, but it isn't about Madeleine per se and, although the release of this film to UK cinemas may still be on hold, it is available to download or buy on dvd - which, given that it's based on a novel by Dennis Lehane of Mystic River fame, has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes rating, and garnered a slew of prestigious awards, I intend to do tonight.

I'm sure I saw it on TV, the film's debut was delayed for 6 months. I'm glad I watched it but it was so heavy going, surely nobody swears as much as the whole lot of them did in this film (excepting for Morgan Freeman). That's what made me nearly turn it off - and I would have done but I wanted to see why the release date was set back - nothing like the McCanns' case I thought.
And I don't think the McCann ending - if there ever is one- will be anywhere like the film's either.
I'm pretty certain 'Gone baby gone' was written before Madeleine disappeared.
galena

Activity : 291

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.11.14 16:03

The book on which it was based (by Dennis Lehane) was published in 1998.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 05.11.14 11:29

Esp 2:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04nyq1y/the-missing-2-pray-for-me

54:46 minutes.

Journo in cafe with 'missing' child's mother, Emily.

Emily: "that's all you have?"

Journo "No, far from it"

Journo: "No, I have some information of my own, i'm in the process of corroborating"

Journo "I'm trying to find out the truth, if you'd agree to a proper interview"

Emily "You must be joking"

Journo "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID EMILY, YOU AND TONY, AND I'M GOING TO PROVE IT"

Emily "leaves" concerned look on face.

Good, innit?
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.11.14 11:35

No setting up of a limited company in near record time though - now that would have stretched viewers' credibility a little too far!

An interesting development at the end relating to the witnesses in the park - I won't say what for those who haven't watched yet.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 05.11.14 12:19

jeanmonroe wrote:Esp 2:

Journo "No, far from it"

Journo: "No, I have some information of my own, i'm in the process of corroborating"

Good, innit?
Yeah, that's what I thought too! I wonder if Mr and Mrs are watching it. I'd be squirming in my seat if I were one of them. I'll bet Gezza has been on the blower to his legal already.

In this episode, the 2006 Emily is looking a lot like Kate, and the religious bit is in there too. Interesting.

In my opinion.

Activity : 582

Back to top Go down

Post by Evening_All 05.11.14 13:55

Brian Griffin wrote:
jeanmonroe wrote:Esp 2:

Journo "No, far from it"

Good, innit?
Yeah, that's what I thought too! I wonder if Mr and Mrs are watching it. I'd be squirming in my seat if I were one of them. I'll bet Gezza has been on the blower to his legal already.

In this episode, the 2006 Emily is looking a lot like Kate, and the religious bit is in there too. Interesting.

In my opinion.
Noted the above as well, they even did the tv broadcast bit but left out the s'il vous plait at the end. Definately no resemblence to the McCanns. howdy
Evening_All
Evening_All

Activity : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 05.11.14 15:23

An interesting development at the end relating to the witnesses in the park
------------------------

That'll be the Smiff's then! winkwink
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 05.11.14 18:09

Wasn't that the guy who offered the large reward the same one who 'arranged' some witnesses?
I did raise an eyebrow, I must say!
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 14.11.14 17:27

Episode 3 - notice the deliberate and awkward hand-holding bit when someone knocks on the door? titter

I feel in this episode the story seems to have slowed right down, which is disappointing given the pace of the first two. Good cliff-hanger to finish it, though - sent shivers down my spine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Onager 14.11.14 19:29

Would tend to agree with you Brian, re the pacing of episode 3.

I think we'll 'see' a number of similarities between actual and fiction, as I'm sure the principle production staff, the producers, writers and director, have analysed footage from a number of cases.

The (inevitable) scene which stuck out for me, was the wife telling hubby they wouldn't be in this situation had he looked after their son. My first thought was... has this conversation been aired? If so who was present? And who was on the receiving end? For if we are to believe the abduction theory, a direct consequence of nine adults leaving their charges to their own devices, someone must have come up with the bright idea. Someone who must be carrying quite a heavy burden... or maybe not.
Onager

Activity : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 15.11.14 1:39

There are 8 episodes in the series, and if not utilised properly, you'll get the same problem we've seen with the last two series of 'Homeland'. The first series was just (sorry to sound American here) awesome! It was gripping! It is the best thing I've seen since the early seasons of 24. The 3rd series and the present one just drag and drag and drag. They've got 12 hour-long slots to fill and about 2 hours-worth of interesting story so there is so much filler it spoils the drama. I hope 'Missing' isn't going to go down that route!

Back to top Go down

Post by kimHager 16.11.14 14:48

Madeleine Obrien she was the little girl in a pose very similar to maddy in her jersey with the strange hand/arm pose.I saw it posted on another thread about the similarities in looks. I found the pose to be quiet similar...just an opinion. Im not sure if it was intentional but seemed like it

Activity : 483

Back to top Go down

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 Empty Last two episodes out soon

Post by PeterMac 07.12.14 8:00

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2863741/As-TV-thriller-s-gripped-nation-reaches-climax-s-MISSING-kidnapper.html

It's the smash-hit TV whodunit of the year: the gripping tale of a young boy’s abduction during a family holiday in France and his father’s desperate struggle to find him.
For the past six weeks, eight million fans have been perched on the edge of their seats, glued to the plot twists in BBC1’s The Missing.
The tense action in the series switches between 2006, when five-year-old Olly vanished, and the present day as his father Tony Hughes, played by James Nesbitt, tirelessly searches for clues.
Initially, the boy’s disappearance seemed an open-and-shut case when police in the sleepy French town of Chalons du Bois arrested prime suspect and known paedophile Vincent Bourg.
But as the complex storyline has developed, the finger of suspicion has been pointed at an ever-increasing number of characters – including the father himself.
As the series draws to an end, with just two more episodes to go, we run the rule over the possible suspects – and give odds, compiled by bookmaker Ladbrokes, on them being the killer.

Hope Carter-Ruck have seen them.

James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 <a href=James Nesbitt: "The Missing is a thriller, it isn't about the Madeleine McCann case" - Page 1 110" />
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 07.12.14 11:59

SPOILER ALERT!

This is an anagram of whodunnit: whamlarks

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 07.12.14 12:09

Actually, the cynic in me is saying that the whole thing is just another attempt to drum the idea into the national (global?) psyche that Mr and Mrs are innocent, a psychological ruse along the lines of: the fictional parents in 'The Missing' are innocent so the McCanns are innocent too, by association. Look at the timing. Swan & Summers and now this. Good grief! When did I start to think this way?

In my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.12.14 12:50

Brian Griffin wrote:Actually, the cynic in me is saying that the whole thing is just another attempt to drum the idea into the national (global?) psyche that Mr and Mrs are innocent, a psychological ruse along the lines of: the fictional parents in 'The Missing' are innocent so the McCanns are innocent too, by association. Look at the timing. Swan & Summers and now this. Good grief! When did I start to think this way?

In my opinion.
I agree.

So many "coincidences".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top