The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

"REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by jeanmonroe on 11.10.14 3:42

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/10/what-made-kate-gerry-mccann-object-of-so-much-anger?CMP=twt_gu

What made Kate and Gerry McCann the object of so much anger?
The thing all parents dread, the McCanns experienced. Perhaps it is their defiance in the face of such dismal fortune that provokes their abusers

Deborah Orr
The Guardian, Friday 10 October 2014 15.30 BST
Jump to comments (215)

Many people think they should have given up long ago, but the McCanns continue to fight.

It’s been more than seven years since Kate and Gerry McCann informed the British media that their four-year-old, Madeleine, had gone missing from her bed in a holiday resort in Portugal. Their hope was that publicity would help them to find their daughter. It didn’t. It hasn’t. But still the headlines come.
The latest of many disturbing postscripts to this disturbing story is the death of 63-year-old Brenda Leyland. Her body was found in a hotel room in Leicester a few days after a reporter from Sky News doorstepped her. Film was broadcast of Leyland reacting to Martin Brunt’s suggestion that she was one of a number of people whose abusive messages about the McCanns had been handed to the police. Leyland’s high-profile exposure has, inevitably, been directly linked to her suicide.
One is not supposed to think of “Twitter trolls” as fragile. But this one was, apparently. Her anonymous tweets talked tough. They proclaimed her hatred of the McCanns. She took particular umbrage to what she saw as the couple’s publicity-seeking behaviour. There’s sad irony in the fact that, when publicity found Leyland, it seems to have quickly destroyed her.
Maybe Leyland knew that, were she to be subjected to a fraction of the notoriety that has been piled on the McCanns, she would indeed be destroyed. Maybe that’s why she saw the couple as so different to her that she could not summon any sympathy, only hostility.
Why Madeleine’s disappearance attracted so much interest has never been much of a puzzle. Any parent who has lost their child, even for a few minutes, is familiar with their own panic-stricken voice of fear, asking that Grimm’s fairy tale question: “What if she’s gone? What if you never see her again?” The thing all parents dread, the McCanns experienced. Why this, the most dismal of ill fortune, made the McCanns, for so many people, the object of suspicion, contempt and anger, rather than empathy – that’s a more difficult question to answer.
It’s often said that the McCanns attracted criticism because they were middle-class – with a sense of entitlement that made them not just careless about their own daughter’s welfare but also expectant that the world would help them get her back. Essentially though, that criticism really amounts to this: “We don’t like the McCanns because they clearly didn’t live their lives for ever in fear that the worst could easily happen to them.” What’s more, when the worst did come, the couple remained hopeful, purposeful, even defiant.
What really irked people about the McCanns, from the beginning, was essentially their massive reserves of emotional resilience. Kate McCann was criticised for not looking broken – for brushing her hair and putting on makeup. Gerry McCann raised eyebrows because he remained articulate. They exercised, which absolutely scandalised people. Sure, that was a sensible thing to do. But what kind of monster is sensible under such pressure? Even that decision in those first hours – not to wait passively for news, but actively to go out and create it – this pair chose fight, not flight, from the start.
The McCanns continue to fight. Many people think they should have given up long ago. Some perverse people even argue that Leyland’s death is on the conscience of the McCanns, because they won’t shrug their shoulders and accept that some people think very, very badly of them. The McCanns say their twin sons are old enough now to see all the awful things that are said about their parents. They cannot accept that this is something they have to put up with. No enemy is large enough to intimidate the couple, not even the vastness of the internet.
By contrast, there’s no flight more complete than suicide. Is that why Leyland and others have developed such great animus against the McCanns? Do people simply find the sheer stubborn courage of these people so unbelievable that they mistrust it, even despise it? Can the root of all this McCann hatred be people seeing two parents roaring for justice, attacking those who would deny them it, and thinking: “I couldn’t do that, no way. But I can’t accept they’re better than me because they can. I prefer to believe they’re worse.”
Many people, when discussing trolling on the internet, see it as a manifestation of misogyny. Others, who don’t like this idea, insist that women can be trolls – vicious trolls – as well. Leyland, her choice of hate figures and her awful demise appear to prove their point far more graphically than anyone would wish.
Yet if you start thinking of trolls as people who resent strong people because they make them feel inadequate, then you see that trolling would indeed be an activity particularly attractive to misogynists, who prefer to think of women as weak precisely so they can think of themselves as strong by comparison.
The McCanns were strong enough to make sure that their own voices – not the stereotyped voice of the universal grieving parent – were heard. Trolls gain strength from making their voices heard too, but they’re not strong enough to speak in their own name. Expose a troll’s name, and you expose their fears and vulnerability. Such people, it appears, may sometimes be far more fearful and vulnerable than the people who anger them so greatly.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"The McCanns say their TWIN SONS are old enough now to see all the awful things that are said about their parents"
------------------------------------------------------
I'd have thought AMELIE was a tad to young to have had a sex change ALREADY!
----------------------------------------------------------------
"It’s been more than seven years since Kate and Gerry McCann INFORMED the British media that their four-year-old, Madeleine, had gone missing............".
----------------------------------
YEP 'INFORMED' the British Media!
--------------------------------------------------
ONLY THEY 'INFORMED' THE BRITISH MEDIA that their four-year-old, Madeleine had gone 'missing'
-----------------------------------------------
"ABDUCTED" surely?
----------------------------------------------------------------
YEP A £10+miliion Police 'investigation' BASED SOLELY, ENTIRELY, upon what ONLY the McCann couple SAID!
--------------------------------------------------------
FOUR (4) -year-old Madeleine?

THREE YEARS OLD, SURELY?

jeanmonroe

Posts : 5133
Reputation : 886
Join date : 2013-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Snifferdog on 11.10.14 5:19

Jeanmonroe said,
----------------------------------------------------------------
YEP A £10+miliion Police 'investigation' BASED SOLELY, ENTIRELY, upon what ONLY the McCann couple SAID!
--------------------------------------------------------
A brilliant post Jeanmonroe!

... Just snipped the last phrase to emphasize....
here because you have brought attention to this incredible fact. It shows up something that stinks big time, because...

It's Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!!!

____________________
“‘Conspiracy stuff’ is now shorthand for unspeakable truth.”
– Gore Vidal

Snifferdog

Posts : 1008
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2012-05-11
Location : here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by tiny on 11.10.14 7:06

makes you feel sick to your boots doesn't it banghead

tiny

Posts : 2274
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Joss on 11.10.14 7:14

What is their point exactly in this article??? It is all "assumption" in regard to Brenda Leylands death, so how dare they assume anything about her death right now and include her in their Pro McCann article. What a bunch of BS.
I wish they would just gag the media right now about the whole thing. The evidence is there if they care to investigate properly about the McC's , talk about spin and twist to suit an agenda.

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by tiny on 11.10.14 7:32

@Joss wrote:What is their point exactly in this article??? It is all "assumption" in regard to Brenda Leylands death, so how dare they assume anything about her death right now and include her in their Pro McCann article. What a bunch of BS.
I wish they would just gag the media right now about the whole thing. The evidence is there if they care to investigate properly about the McC's , talk about spin and twist to suit an agenda.
the point of this article is to try to influence their readers in to thinking the mccanns are saints.but that will only work on people with one brain cell

tiny

Posts : 2274
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Seek truth on 11.10.14 8:11

Maybe it's because people are reading the British police interviews. How about the Jane tanner interview where she's questioned so many times who she told and she basically answered that she knew which way the abductor went yet she failed to tell her own partner, Kate when she went passed her searching, and didn't get a reaction from Kate and Gerry because they were busy with the press, she tried to tell Fiona but she doesn't think she took it in !! 

She says they were RUNNING around.
So she was just watching? 
 she told the police at 3 the morning because Fiona called them and says the police never bothered to ask her where she'd seen the man so she tells them can I show you where I saw him? And they just wrote it down that was it really, she says.
The egg face with hair, she said they couldn't draw!!

Oh dear so the Portuguese police are to blame again?
Yet she only told the others days later?

Or maybe it's because both had no reaction in the Spanish interview when finding out the sniffer dogs found something. Well I'd be crying if they told me my daughter could be dead.

My opinion only

Seek truth

Posts : 447
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Joss on 11.10.14 8:53

@tiny wrote:
@Joss wrote:What is their point exactly in this article??? It is all "assumption" in regard to Brenda Leylands death, so how dare they assume anything about her death right now and include her in their Pro McCann article. What a bunch of BS.
I wish they would just gag the media right now about the whole thing. The evidence is there if they care to investigate properly about the McC's , talk about spin and twist to suit an agenda.
the point of this article is to try to influence their readers in to thinking the mccanns are saints.but that will only work on people with one brain cell
 Yes they are skewing it toward the neverending Mccann victim propoganda. Do people over there really even care anymore about them when there are so many more very troubling affairs going on in the world right now that could probably affect all of us. Why does it always have to be about the  McCan's? Who gives a toss. They really do need to get over themselves. There are very many grieving parents out there who's children have actually been abducted and murdered in the most horrendous way, through no fault of theirs, so why don't we see those people in the media? I think the McC's can safely say their daughter will never be found as per G.Mc's comment about finding her body. I think his sarcastic remark in that respect gives us all a big clue.

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Guest on 11.10.14 9:40

That's a very disappointing article written by Deborah Orr (married to Will Self) writing garbage, recycling disinformation, perpetuating stereotypes in a national newspaper (although on-line).  It doesn't appear that she's carried out any independent research either.  Wonder how much she was paid for this comment?  I've seen better written pieces on this forum. Last week the Guardian published an article by Gerry McCann criticising the press - it would seem there's isn't lockdown on the McCann's after all.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by aiyoyo on 11.10.14 9:41

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-madeleine-mccann-prosecutor-vowed-4417866
New Madeleine McCann prosecutor has vowed to solve case - bringing fresh hope to her parents
Oct 10, 2014 22:30 By David Collins

High-flying investigator Ines Sequeira has taken on the case and British detectives believe her appointment will shake up the investigation

A new prosecutor has been put in charge of the Madeleine McCann case – and has vowed to solve it.

High-flying investigator Ines Sequeira said she was “utterly determined” to crack the case, bringing fresh hope to Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry.

British detectives believe the appointment will shake up the probe and Scotland Yard officers will fly out next week to discuss a shortlist of seven prime suspects with their Portuguese counterparts.

A source close to the inquiry said: “Ms Sequeira is one of the sharpest and most ambitious prosecutors in Portugal. She is utterly determined to get a result on the Madeleine inquiry.

“British police are telling the McCanns they’re doing everything in their power to find out what happened.”

It is understood the investigation into Alice Gross, a 14-year-old schoolgirl found dead in west London, held up Operation Grange as resources were diverted during a huge search effort last week.            

British police will arrive in Portugal next week to discuss plans to interrogate the seven shortlisted suspects and request permission to search their homes.            

British detectives are trying to get a fifth letter of international request approved by the Portuguese authorities, which would allow them to continue their work on the ground in Portugal.

The Met’s Operation Grange team, set up to review the case, believe Madeleine may have been killed during a bungled break-in at the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz in May, 2007 while her parents were eating out nearby.

They will interview three of the seven suspects for a second time and request permission to search their homes.    

The three suspects to be re-interviewed are understood to be Jose Carlos Fernandes da Silva, an ex-worker at the Ocean Club resort, Paulo Ribeiro, who looks like a man seen near the apartment, and charity collector Ricardo Rodrigues.

 
Portugal’s Attorney General gave the go-ahead for the country’s own Madeleine McCann investigation to be reopened in May at the request of the country’s Policia Judiciaria police force - more than five years after the probe had been shelved.

The reopening of the investigation coincided with news a former employee at the Ocean Club holiday resort where Madeleine disappeared had been identified as a suspect.

Recovering heroin addict Euclides Monteiro, a convicted burglar, died in a tractor accident in 2009.

His widow Luisa Rodrigues was interviewed by Portuguese detectives but insisted he was an innocent man and has been fighting to get authorities to confirm they have now ruled him out as a suspect.

Madeleine’s parents have been buoyed up by the joint efforts of the two country’s police forces.

They believe Madeleine, who would now be aged 11, could still be alive.

McCann spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “Kate and Gerry will not comment on Operation Grange."



http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-madeleine-mccann-prosecutor-vowed-4417866#ixzz3Fp6d7gAZ
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Yeah, right ! The three "suspects" are waiting for the Met Police to doorstep them ?
Freaking unbelievable.  Stupid or what?
The case was and continues to be so high profile and they didn't know the police were looking for them.  They continue to work and live in the area........ and didn't move away for go into hiding...?

What a load of brown excrement!  The McCanns are certainly used as space filler when the editors want to generate column to fill up the pages.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Joss on 11.10.14 12:37

If the McCann's were innocent they wouldn't have spend so much time in this case protesting their innocence. Innocent people don't  have to do that IMO.

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by j.rob on 11.10.14 13:38

Ladyinred wrote:That's a very disappointing article written by Deborah Orr (married to Will Self) writing garbage, recycling disinformation, perpetuating stereotypes in a national newspaper (although on-line).  It doesn't appear that she's carried out any independent research either.  Wonder how much she was paid for this comment?  I've seen better written pieces on this forum. Last week the Guardian published an article by Gerry McCann criticising the press - it would seem there's isn't lockdown on the McCann's after all.

The Guardian, whether you liked it or loathed it, did used to have a little bit of credibility. But it's just full of garbage now. And why they are giving Gerry McCann a platform to spout forth is anyone's guess. Extraordinary.

j.rob

Posts : 2243
Reputation : 225
Join date : 2014-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Guest on 11.10.14 13:46

I've been reading it for years.  However, since I joined here I've had a revelation moment regarding the MSM and now buy on Saturdays only and read on-line occasionally.  I also didn't like its obsession with Julian Assange.

I also need newspaper for my open fire during the winter. smilie

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Naz_Nomad on 11.10.14 14:40

Anyone who writes for a newspaper and has to ask "What made Kate and Gerry McCann the object of so much anger?", does not deserve the title of "journalist". If she had done a bit of research, she could answer the question herself.

____________________
Everything written by me is just my opinion.

Naz_Nomad

Posts : 138
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Joss on 11.10.14 15:42

It all sounds to me like an excercise in self justification across MSM to save face in lieu of what happened in regard to Brenda Leyland's death, which most news outlets must know was just a horrible way to approach an innocent member of the public with an accusation they had no right to enact. I have read some of the stuff where they are justifying what MB and his cohorts did. It's all so transparent.

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Joss on 11.10.14 15:47

I am surprised anyone actually buys newspapers anymore with all the technology we have at our fingertips these days. I thought newspapers were about obsolete. I have not bought a newspaper for years LOL, not even much interested in what the news is all about these days cause its mostly BS anyway. Biased reporting to suit the agenda to brainwash the masses, imo.

Joss

Posts : 1899
Reputation : 146
Join date : 2011-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by plebgate on 11.10.14 17:47

Well that advert that used to be on tv didn't come about for nothing.    SNOOZEpapers, yer right there.

plebgate

Posts : 5445
Reputation : 1160
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by nglfi on 11.10.14 18:21

Re the mirror article, I thought the Met police held a conference where they told journalists not to print any information which might hinder the investigation,  and if they did, work by the Portuguese would cease. That did happen didn't it, I didn't imagine it?? Why is the mirror printing names of people to be re interviewed? The only reason I can think is that thwy are being interviewed as witnesses and not suspects. Why on earth would they print the names of suspects.

nglfi

Posts : 337
Reputation : 52
Join date : 2014-01-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by PeterMac on 11.10.14 18:32

@nglfi wrote:Re the mirror article, I thought the Met police held a conference where they told journalists not to print any information which might hinder the investigation,  and if they did, work by the Portuguese would cease. That did happen didn't it, I didn't imagine it?? Why is the mirror printing names of people to be re interviewed? The only reason I can think is that thwy are being interviewed as witnesses and not suspects. Why on earth would they print the names of suspects.
To give them time to clean their apartments, and then to write a sticker book timeline which they can rehearse with their relatives, to provide their alibis
To give them time to ensure that any burial site is still hidden, and if not, to move any remains to a proper place, such as 5 miles offshore
To . .
Oh FGS !. The whole thing is just ludicrous.
And worse than that, it is transparently ludicrous, but the press and SY do not seem to see it

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by galena on 11.10.14 18:38

@Naz_Nomad wrote:Anyone who writes for a newspaper and has to ask "What made Kate and Gerry McCann the object of so much anger?", does not deserve the title of "journalist".  If she had done a bit of research, she could answer the question herself.  
I have to agree - the article shows appalling ignorance (twins sons) and the mention of Madeleine going missing from her bed suggests her parents were in the next room not out drinking in a bar.   Maybe the writer actually thinks this is what happens, as you say she has clearly done zero research.

galena

Posts : 286
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "REPORTING" just dosen't get any better, does it?

Post by Guest on 11.10.14 19:28

Orr's article is published is today's newspaper (I thought it was on-line only) so letters to the editor, anyone?

ETA: http://honestreporting.com/deborah-orrs-disgusting-excuse-for-an-apology/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum