The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Baby sitting in the middle of the road is almost hit by bus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby sitting in the middle of the road is almost hit by bus

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 20.05.10 15:03

A horrified bus driver managed to stop his vehicle just inches away from a baby who was sitting in the middle of a busy road.

The incident happened in San Antonio, Texas, USA, just after midnight.

Bus driver Mike Hubbard was driving his usual route when he noticed something strange on the road in front of him.

He thought it might be a dog but as he drew nearer the driver twigged that it was actually a baby, sitting there wearing just a nappy.

He slammed on the brakes and stopped just in time.

Mr Hubbard told local news station WOAI-TV: "I was definitely in shock. From a distance I can't tell exactly what it is. It looks like a dog, something moving around, I can't really tell what it was.

"I started slowing down and then I noticed it's a baby in the middle of the street."

You can see the terrifying footage for yourself here - it was captured by a camera on the bus.

Once he had stopped the bus, Mr Hubbard then got out to see what was going on.

He told the TV station: "To me he looked like he was eight months old with a Pamper (nappy), just sitting there. I couldn't tell if he was eating something or not. But, his eyes got real big when he saw the big old bus in front of him."

Then suddenly the child's father turned up, grabbed the baby and ran off.

The video footage has come to light as it is being used as evidence in a child custody case.

News.com.au reports that the baby is a girl, called Destiny Flores, who is now two years old.

Destiny's mother Catherine Gonzalez, 25, and her husband are now fighting to keep custody of the child and their other two daughters.

They say they had no idea that their daughter had got out of the house and she must have crept out through a door which they thought was locked.

Mrs Gonzalez told WOAI-TV: "It was an accident, that's all it was. It could happen to anybody in the world, you know.

"It's not like we weren't paying attention, you know. I could have swore all my kids were in the back watching TV and they were doing fine. It was just the biggest accident and it hurts me."

News.com.au reports that Texas child protective services will make a decision in a few weeks about whether the parents will be allowed to keep their children.

What do you think? Could this have happened to anyone?

Source: News.com.au

Reader Comments (Page 1 of 1)

loulou 5-20-2010 @ 8:37AM
the father could of swore "all his kids were in the back watching tv",report says incident happened at midnight.
there are people who cant have children and then theres some that shouldnt have children.

Robbo 5-20-2010 @ 8:42AM
Surely proof that we should have compulsary sterilization.

KittyKat123 5-20-2010 @ 8:47AM
What if the bus driver hadn't have been so vigilant?? This is disgusting and yes the baby/child should be taken away if this is a neglect issue.

All children should be safely tucked in bed in the middle of the night - or at the very least in the care of a responsible adult!!

WTF were the parents thinking - it look like on the video that the bus driver has to TELL the father the baby is in the middle of the road!

This story has actually really shocked me and that is quite rare in this day and age.

Tina 5-20-2010 @ 8:48AM
CHILD NEGLECT..he swore his kids were all in the back room watching t.v...they should be asleep in bed that time of night..obviously they have no routine or stability in the household..what the hell was he doing in the other room..getting stoned no doubt..people like this make me sick..Thank god the bus driver was paying more attention to his driving and to the child than what the father was...the man deserves a medal..the thought of what could of happened to this baby..makes my stomach turn..

sarah4deankelly 5-20-2010 @ 8:52AM
THEY SHOULD TAKE THAT CHILD AWAY AND HE DIDN'T EVEN STOP TO THANK THE BUS DRIVER. HOW DOES A CHILD OF TWO LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT THE PARENTS NOTICING. WE BAD PEOPLE.

julie 5-20-2010 @ 8:58AM
what is wrong with people today? just what?

George 5-20-2010 @ 8:57AM
Could HAVE, not could OF.......

banniai1 5-20-2010 @ 9:01AM
Mr ? why is it the man seems to me reading the article it was the mother who made the statement about children watching TV,yes some people should not have children these two in particular.Oh and yes there are plenty of able single fathers out
there, my son being one so do not give me the rubbish about useless dads.

lisawood78 5-20-2010 @ 9:07AM
totally disgusting, that child needs to be removed and placed with a family that will love and care for them, no it could most certainly not happened to anyone, that child should have been safely tucked up in bed.

Peter 5-20-2010 @ 9:03AM
Over the years I have learned not to judge people. The baby in the road is of course very shocking but let the authorities do their job. We can only guess and imagine about the family situation.

dave 5-20-2010 @ 9:08AM
i think people shouldnt be too quick to judge there could be a million reasons why the chidren were not asleep sometimes parents make mistakes we are all human it is down to child protection to find out if it was a case of neglect an if it was then no punishment is too strong

Tina 5-20-2010 @ 9:25AM
Yes people do make mistakes..people with children should have locks on there doors high up..and be locked at all times..saftey comes first..always..I'm sorry if i sounds harsh but it is neglect..they never checked if the door was locked especially that time of night..just like they probabley never checked there kids..

lisawood78 5-20-2010 @ 9:13AM
and something else which to me seems odd, is it normal for a 2 year old to still be crawling, shouldn't the child have been walking!!!!

George Smith 5-20-2010 @ 9:18AM
These people that call there selves parents need parenting lessons or something.
I would certainly recommend that they don't have any more Kids and if they do should NOT be aloud to keep it unless kept a close eye no by Social Services.
As for the driver he deserves a medal, just think if he had hit that child he may never have worked again that alone driven I say well done that driver for being so alert.

Phyllis Graves 5-20-2010 @ 9:19AM
If the parents believed their children were safely inside the house why did the father go outside?

shelly 5-20-2010 @ 9:33AM
It doesn't say the child was two when it happened it says she is two now and well done to the bus driver he does deserve a medal could have been so much worse.

Get'emGonçalo

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby sitting in the middle of the road is almost hit by bus

Post by Ruby on 20.05.10 16:19

A neighbour of mine had a similar, very lucky, escape like that.
Her 18 month old son let himself out and crawled into the middle of a busy main road.
My husband saw him and brought him home, to be greeted by her in a confused state; she said breastfeeding him had exhausted her and she'd fallen asleep, never for a minute thinking he'd be able to undo the front door and go out.
She was so hysterically grateful he was OK he didn't have the heart to scold her...

Ruby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby sitting in the middle of the road is almost hit by bus

Post by aiyoyo on 17.07.10 5:47

Gee!

I thought the baby was deliberately left on the street by the dad to threaten the wife because of the custody battle. But like you said, it could be purely accident.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum