The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Mm11

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Mm11

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Regist10

Possible Action Against The Times

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Empty Re: Possible Action Against The Times

Post by Praiaaa 04.08.14 9:26

nglfi wrote:

I still think this could be about the 'murder' comment,  in fact I'm hoping it is because it will be the stupidest thing TM have ever done if true. . All IMO.

I hope so too.
Praiaaa

Activity : 497

Back to top Go down

Possible Action Against The Times - Page 9 Empty Re: Possible Action Against The Times

Post by ShuBob 04.08.14 9:48

I don't think it's clear what the couple are actually suing for. Assuming it is true they have a case against the Times Group, it could be for something other than the article/retraction from October/December last year though I can't think of what.
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 04.08.14 10:45

ShuBob wrote:I don't think it's clear what the couple are actually suing for. Assuming it is true they have a case against the Times Group, it could be for something other than the article/retraction from October/December last year though I can't think of what.

So far I've come up with the following possibilities in order of likelihood:

1) The article from last year (doesn't seem likely to me).

2) The Times (formerly part of News International) have the serialisation rights to Kate's work of fiction and the McCanns don't want them to use it without additional payment.

3) Their phones were hacked ...kerching!!!

4) The McCanns have got wind of something the Times is planning and want to nip it in the bud.

5) The pair of them are As. Mad. As. A. Box. Of. Frogs.

I'm veering towards option 5 myself  laughat
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia 04.08.14 23:29

Rupert  made Millions from the Milly Dowler story thanks to Rebekah, he made Millions from the Mccann story thanks to Rebekah,he paid the Dowlers  Millions in compensation no questions asked after a short meeting with them.Imo Rupert will have no problem topping up the Madeleine fund with a couple of hundred thousand so long has he doesn't have to make a front page Apology all in opinion of course.
petunia

Activity : 607

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell 05.08.14 0:32

Poe wrote:
ShuBob wrote:I don't think it's clear what the couple are actually suing for. Assuming it is true they have a case against the Times Group, it could be for something other than the article/retraction from October/December last year though I can't think of what.

So far I've come up with the following possibilities in order of likelihood:

1) The article from last year (doesn't seem likely to me).

2) The Times (formerly part of News International) have the serialisation rights to Kate's work of fiction and the McCanns don't want them to use it without additional payment.

3) Their phones were hacked ...kerching!!!

4) The McCanns have got wind of something the Times is planning and want to nip it in the bud.

5) The pair of them are As. Mad. As. A. Box. Of. Frogs.

I'm veering towards option 5 myself  laughat
I would veer toward 5 too Poe, but what I struggle with is how the lawyers can advise them it is a good idea.  Are they still with Carter Ruck?  If they are, there must be a substantial sum left in the Fund, or have they offered to sue the Times pro bono?

From a profit perspective, RM would have far more to gain in future newspaper sales if the scam is exposed.  The McCanns personal news value has dropped to an all time low, we have read everything about them, no one cares anymore whether Kate wants to make love to Gerry, they have squeezed every 'at home with the McCanns' moment they can out of the abduction story.  They have also run the gamut with the suspects, some of them have come around twice, or even three times, we know them all so well. 

The next big UK newspaper sales will come from the end game, and I think that is what we are now seeing.  Two years ago, it was all but illegal to say that Madeleine McCann is dead and the floodgates have opened there.  It still seems 'illegal' however to speculate on how Madeleine died, though there have  been feeble attempts to plant the story that the 'abductor' dumped her body during his getaway.  The police have also of course, specifically asked the press not to speculate, and the Media are being restrained, I'm sure they know a lot more than they can say.

Doesn't answer why the lawyers would pursue this though.  They are not taking on a lone detective with limited resources, they are taking on one of the most powerful men in the world.  How can they be so sure he will roll over and pay up?  Do they know they are about to be cleared of all involvement and the suings can begin? 

I really don't think so.  They would look far happier if that were the case, and all their support would magically reappear. Perhaps there is money left in the Fund, and this is a last ditch attempt to top up the coffers before the Lisbon verdict. It is an act of desperation, whatever the reasons.
Cristobell

Activity : 2552

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 05.08.14 1:03

' ......... the Media are being restrained, I'm sure they know a lot more than they can say ...........'  Well I should hope so, otherwise they must be really rubbish at their jobs.

You don't suppose with this that the McCanns have started proceedings with the Times because they have had to? In relation to the Lisbon hearing, I'm certain Amaral will have brought up the subject of the suppression of Exton efits. Are they in turn suing the Times to try and say that the Times was wrong, that the efits were not suppressed, so as to demonstrate that they did not hinder their own search?

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs 05.08.14 3:47

suzyjohnson wrote:' ......... the Media are being restrained, I'm sure they know a lot more than they can say ...........'  Well I should hope so, otherwise they must be really rubbish at their jobs.

You don't suppose with this that the McCanns have started proceedings with the Times because they have had to? In relation to the Lisbon hearing, I'm certain Amaral will have brought up the subject of the suppression of Exton efits. Are they in turn suing the Times to try and say that the Times was wrong, that the efits were not suppressed, so as to demonstrate that they did not hinder their own search?
The problem is kate and those 48 questions she didn't answer and the one question she did

Are you aware that in not answering the questions you are jeopardising the investigation, which seeks to discover what happened to your daughter?

A.  'Yes, if that’s what the investigation thinks.'

How can they sue others for allegedly hindering the search when we have clear evidence that kate did hinder the search!

Researcher/Analyst

Activity : 1825

http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 05.08.14 7:33

A rather ambiguous apology.  The Times did not state who provided them with the corrective info.

Can only assume the pink lapdog did the dirty job for the Mcs, not CR, and that would explain the sinister undertone of the apology.

Note the  skillfully carefully worded apology:

We referred to efits which were included in a report prepared by private investigators for the McCanns and the Fund in 2008.

We now understand and accept that the efits had been provided to the Portuguese and Leicestershire police by October 2009.

"Accept" meaning they took at face value  from whoever it was that told them the story that the efits (note not final report) were handed over to the Police.  It would mean they were saying they'd no mean of verification that this was actually done.

We also understand that a copy of the final report including the efits was passed to the Metropolitan police in August 2011, shortly after it commenced its review.

Here in this sentence they omit to use the word "accept", but mentioned final report was also included to MET.

It's as though they had 2 sources providing them the story, or they were pedantic, or they were careless.

IIRC, the MET Police have had literally to ask the Mcs for the Exton's files.
That begs the question: are all their PIs not at liberty to release the files unless the MCs authorised the release, or does the restraint apply only to Exton since he was gagged by the Mcs by threat of law suit.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.08.14 8:52

aiyoyo wrote:
IIRC, the MET Police have had literally to ask the Mcs for the Exton's files.
That begs the question: are all their PIs not at liberty to release the files unless the MCs authorised the release, or does the restraint apply only to Exton since he was gagged by the Mcs by threat of law suit.

I've never been quite sure of the legal validity of this position. Surely if Exton's research turned up things that concerned him then he was legally (never mind morally) obliged to report them to the Police, in spite of what his paymasters might have to say about it.

Essentially the threat of the gag only works with Exton's complicity. So in essence he's effectively and willingly gagged himself?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 05.08.14 11:09

Clay Regazzoni wrote:
I've never been quite sure of the legal validity of this position. Surely if Exton's research turned up things that concerned him then he was legally (never mind morally) obliged to report them to the Police, in spite of what his paymasters might have to say about it.

Essentially the threat of the gag only works with Exton's complicity. So in essence he's effectively and willingly gagged himself?

It's probably an issue of his research turning up things that caused him to suspect the Mcs story did not gel, but he did not uncover stone-cast evidence of their involvement hence nothing new that the Police should know that they did not already know. This is assuming he knew the mcs inconsistent statements were already on police records.

aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 05.08.14 11:38

Hobs wrote:
The problem is kate and those 48 questions she didn't answer and the one question she did
Are you aware that in not answering the questions you are jeopardising the investigation, which seeks to discover what happened to your daughter?

A.  'Yes, if that’s what the investigation thinks.'
How can they sue others for allegedly hindering the search when we have clear evidence that kate did hinder the search!

That is only one problem.
Another is the FACT that they each gave TWO mutually exclusive versions of their actions.
One of each, or possibly both MUST BE A LIE.  And therefore must have hindered any "search"
To recap
Entered through the front door using his key - v - entered through the unlocked patio door
Curtains wide open - v - curtains tightly closed and whooshing.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer 05.08.14 11:40

SY, when doing an investigation of any sorts, surely do not have to APPLY FOR PERMISSION to see Exton`s report.

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.08.14 11:58

Woofer wrote:SY, when doing an investigation of any sorts, surely do not have to APPLY FOR PERMISSION to see Exton`s report.

Probably a case of ask nicely, but carry a big stick.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 05.08.14 12:58

Woofer wrote:SY, when doing an investigation of any sorts, surely do not have to APPLY FOR PERMISSION to see Exton`s report.

Well, if Exton is barred from releasing it, then SY has no choice is it but to approach the Mcs...err we understand Exton cannot release his reports without your authorisation, so .....

It may be a case of SY approaching Exton and being told the reason why he can't release it without the expressed permission of the mcs, thus so on and so forth.

That is why it would be of interest to know whether all the other PIs were subjected to same restriction. Or whether SY approached mcs directly regardlessm or approached every individual PI company to get hold of their reports. Judging from the sudden swoop on M3 it would appear the answer may be obvious

aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 05.08.14 13:02

Clay Regazzoni wrote:

Probably a case of ask nicely, but carry a big stick.

Even without the big stick, the Mcs had no choice in the matter.
Not handing over would arouse suspicions.
The biggest difference is how OG obtained it.
Through the PI directly they might get all the reports uncensored.
Through the Mcs you have to ponder whether everything was supplied or only selectively.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 05.08.14 16:32

Speaking of 'suing'

How are the McCanns getting on with their 'supposed' suing of 'conman' of Madeleine's 'fund' Mr Halligen?

All gone a bit 'quiet' on that 'front' hasn't it?

Or can the McCann's just 'write off' the alledged £300,000, of 'donators' money he 'took', just like that, without explaning to cake sale schoolkids where their £37:50p 'donation' which they THOUGHT was going to Madeleine's SEARCH fund, 'went to'?
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Praiaaa 05.08.14 17:10

jeanmonroe wrote:Speaking of 'suing'

How are the McCanns getting on with their 'supposed' suing of 'conman' of Madeleine's 'fund' Mr Halligen?

All gone a bit 'quiet' on that 'front' hasn't it?

Or can the McCann's just  'write off' the alledged £300,000, of 'donators' money he 'took', just like that, without explaning to cake sale schoolkids where their £37:50p 'donation' which they THOUGHT was going to Madeleine's SEARCH fund, 'went to'?

Jean, good point!
Praiaaa

Activity : 497

Back to top Go down

Post by Claire25 05.08.14 18:56

And how long can they realistically justify 'holding' all these donations. Even if the abduction story was true, no one believes MM is alive anymore (thanks to OG) - the balance of the fund should be donated to another charity, IMO.
Claire25

Activity : 223

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 05.08.14 19:16

Yet another scalp for TM.

The Times printing an apology is surely a sign they have admitted they are wrong.  I doubt it will get to court, just another big pay out settlement to go into the coffers.

The best thing the British press could do is not print any McCann stories.  Without the endless publicity they would have very little.
Pershing36
Pershing36

Activity : 721

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor 06.08.14 11:42

Given this story broke last Friday, can we assume that Daniel Douglas is having a laugh ?
Carrry On Doctor
Carrry On Doctor

Activity : 586

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 06.08.14 11:44

Carrry On Doctor wrote:Given this story broke last Friday, can we assume that Daniel Douglas is having a laugh ?
We have someone on the forum called Doug D, perhaps we can ask him?
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenMeg 06.08.14 11:47

Daniel Douglas is Reporter for @InsideHousing. Recent work: Guardian, BBC, Private Eye, Birmingham Mail @cityjournalism alumnus

He must have reported it for some reason - dont think he made it up..
HelenMeg

Activity : 2081

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor 06.08.14 12:09

Hopefully it is true, but after this time there is still only one source, then nothing since.

We live in hope !
Carrry On Doctor
Carrry On Doctor

Activity : 586

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 06.08.14 12:31

Aquila,

It's not me, honest!

I do keep checking his twitter page (not on Twitter so I can't 'follow' or whatever), so maybe there is nothing additional in the public domain at present that we can get hold of.

Maybe some of our legal eagles can advise whether this is likely.

I did have a look at Dan Douglas & he certainly looks genuine (see my post on p.8)
Doug D

Activity : 5283

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 06.08.14 13:48

Doug D wrote:Aquila,

It's not me, honest!

I do keep checking his twitter page (not on Twitter so I can't 'follow' or whatever), so maybe there is nothing additional in the public domain at present that we can get hold of.

Maybe some of our legal eagles can advise whether this is likely.

I did have a look at Dan Douglas & he certainly looks genuine (see my post on p.8)
I was teasing. I didn't think it was you.

I've already pointed out on the forum Dan D's quoted case number on his tweet and was hoping that those who are legally minded (ultimaThule springs to mind - always sharp to comment on the legal side of things)  would check the case number.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top