The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

Regards,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Gerry / Murat - No comment

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gerry / Murat - No comment

Post by Tony Bennett on 31.07.14 0:31

@Cristobell wrote:
...does not mean I am less read well on the subject. 

BUT I haven't researched RM to the extent that you have

Hmmm...and not as well as a great many others on this forum either

...because I dismissed his involvement a long time ago, in the same way that I stopped reading Stephen Birch stuff

Let me translate for you: "Anybody who thinks that Murat had any involvement whatsoever in connection with the Madeleine McCann case as 'off the wall' as Stephen Birch - and that's why I donm't bother to look up anything about Robert Murat".

Right? 

2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 31.07.14 0:49

@Cristobell wrote:
Perfectly reasonable explanation for his haste Tony!  Frantic phone calls in the middle of the night are  frequent occurrences in matters of the heart and both he and his girlfriend seemed to be caught up in divorces.  Quite an emotional time for all parties and usually filled with drama. 

REPLY: All possible in theory, but then if you try to match his stated reason for travelling to Praia da Luz - it was all about speeding up his divorce from Dawn in Norfolk - with what he actually did in Praia da Luz from 1 May onwards, there is no match. But then of course you've not read up on Murat because you have a preconceived idea about him 

The police have been examining the phone records for several years, the calls RM claims are easily checked out.  Goncalo Amaral has never been interested in Murat

REPLY: Obviously you are unaware, or perhaps have forgotten, that Goncalo Amaral actually arrested him and made him a suspect  

and Malinka,

REPLY: And Amaral searched Malinka's computer, but found he had wiped his hard drive before the police got to it

and I have huge faith in his judgement.

REPLY: Amaral had 5 months on the case. We have the luxury of 7 years and 2 months since the date Madeleine was reported missing. Amaral found many pieces of the jigsaw. Many more pieces have been unearthered since he was unceremoniously removed from the investigation  

Why on earth would Murat agree to assist in such a heinous crime? 

REPLY: I am sure you are more aware than most about why people perpetrate or get involved in some heinous crimes

Involvement in a crime of this nature would ruin anyone's life.  It is not something you would ask of a casual friend, nor is it something they would agree too.  The exception would be those complicit, possibly through no choice of their own, or tied within it through a pact.  A decision made in panic is entirely different to a decision based on rational thought.  Do you really think RM flew back from the UK in haste to help a casual friend dispose of his 3 year old daughter's body? 

REPLY: Who says they were 'casual friends'? Where did you get that from?

2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Justformaddie on 31.07.14 1:03

I don't know if Murat had anything or everything to do with the mcs but, no way would I help a friend, relative or even my partner in this or any crime, plus Murat had a 3yr old daughter who was very like maddie. This whole case is confusing, but hey, confusion is good, right? Keeps the spotlight off them, this is exactly what they want.  notme 
IMO

Justformaddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 31.07.14 1:10

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:
...does not mean I am less read well on the subject. 

BUT I haven't researched RM to the extent that you have

REPLY:  'Subject' refers to the case as a whole, not Robert Murat specifically.

Hmmm...and not as well as a great many others on this forum either

REPLY:  In your opinion Tony.  I respect that you have your own views, I simply don't share them.

...because I dismissed his involvement a long time ago, in the same way that I stopped reading Stephen Birch stuff

Let me translate for you: "Anybody who thinks that Murat had any involvement whatsoever in connection with the Madeleine McCann case as 'off the wall' as Stephen Birch - and that's why I donm't bother to look up anything about Robert Murat".

Right? 

I am stating that I don't find the Murat theory credible, just as you are stating you think it is.  We have reached an impasse.  I am not calling anyone 'of the wall' and wonder why you would imply that?  I can only give my personal perspective, and I have ruled Murat's involvement out, in the same way that I have ruled out Birch's theory - as is my prerogative. 

I didn't join this thread to challenge your theory on this matter, I posted my interpretation of Gerry's ambiguous, 'No comment' when asked if he knew RM.  Of course Gerry knew RM, he and his pals were framing him!  It doesn't matter one iota if Murat knew Gerry before or not, knowing someone does not mean you are involved in a major crime.   Fascinating as it is to find all these connections (and again I refer you to the concept of six degrees of separation), they aren't evidence of anything.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 31.07.14 1:46

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:
Perfectly reasonable explanation for his haste Tony!  Frantic phone calls in the middle of the night are  frequent occurrences in matters of the heart and both he and his girlfriend seemed to be caught up in divorces.  Quite an emotional time for all parties and usually filled with drama. 

REPLY: All possible in theory, but then if you try to match his stated reason for travelling to Praia da Luz - it was all about speeding up his divorce from Dawn in Norfolk - with what he actually did in Praia da Luz from 1 May onwards, there is no match. But then of course you've not read up on Murat because you have a preconceived idea about him 

REPLY:  More than possible in theory Tony.  I am sure most men and women of the world have been on the receiving end of frantic phone calls from paranoid lovers, particularly when their partners are away.  Most irrational behaviour in couple can be placed at the door of insecurity, jealousy, whatever.  She was in Portugal, he was in the UK (where his ex wife lives), do the maths! 
--------------------

The police have been examining the phone records for several years, the calls RM claims are easily checked out.  Goncalo Amaral has never been interested in Murat

REPLY: Obviously you are unaware, or perhaps have forgotten, that Goncalo Amaral actually arrested him and made him a suspect  

REPLY:  I'm fully aware Goncalo made him a suspect, he was one of the three aguidos. However, his book, you may remember is unequivocal, the child died and parents disposed of body.  No mention of Murat involvement.   

and Malinka,

REPLY: And Amaral searched Malinka's computer, but found he had wiped his hard drive before the police got to it

and I have huge faith in his judgement.

REPLY: Amaral had 5 months on the case. We have the luxury of 7 years and 2 months since the date Madeleine was reported missing. Amaral found many pieces of the jigsaw. Many more pieces have been unearthered since he was unceremoniously removed from the investigation  

REPLY:  We have had no such luxury Tony.  We only know a smidgeon of what is going on behind the scenes, we probably know less than the McCanns.  During the 5 months GA had charge, he was on the ground and in the thick of it.  No way can we compare our 'investigation' to his. 

Why on earth would Murat agree to assist in such a heinous crime? 

REPLY: I am sure you are more aware than most about why people perpetrate or get involved in some heinous crimes

REPLY:  I am indeed and Robert Murat doesn't fit the profile.

Involvement in a crime of this nature would ruin anyone's life.  It is not something you would ask of a casual friend, nor is it something they would agree too.  The exception would be those complicit, possibly through no choice of their own, or tied within it through a pact.  A decision made in panic is entirely different to a decision based on rational thought.  Do you really think RM flew back from the UK in haste to help a casual friend dispose of his 3 year old daughter's body? 

REPLY: Who says they were 'casual friends'? Where did you get that from?

Were they more than casual friends Tony, or less?  As I say, imo, it doesn't matter.  I simply don't believe this was a premeditated crime that involved RM dashing back to PDL on 1st May. 

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobs on 31.07.14 2:34

Unidentified: "Can I... can I ask, that after so long, you've... you're now 19 days, do you have any... any new appeal or any new thoughts of sending a message to the person who took Madeleine?"

Gerry: "No, we're... we're going to wait and see what the response is from this current appeal and we're here to re-emphasise that appeal and support it."

Another WTH moment brought to you by gerry.

Why would he need to wait and see what the response is to that current appeal before  sensending a message to the alleged abductor?

As long as Maddie was missing, if he was innocent, then every time would be  the time to send a message to the abductor and also to his missing daughter, even if it was to the abductor to drop Maddie off somewhere safe, or hand himself in.
Also telling Maddie they were still looking for her and to be strong etc.

Guilty people however do as gerry did, simply because there is no abductor to send a message to and no live Maddie to reassure her they were looking for her and would bring her home.

Hobs

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 31.07.14 2:52

'Gerry: "Errr, I don't want to comment too much about the investigation. Errr, in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that. I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence. Errr, we have been assured by the British police that the information that we get is similar to what you would expect to get at home. And, you know, we don't want too much detail. When there's real developments we want to know about them."

Sandra Felgueiras (RTP): "But did you know Robert Murat?" Gerry: "I'm not going to comment on that." (coughs, and turns his head away from the inerviewer)'

----------------------------------

I know you can get a different impression when watching an interview but from this text, above, I would say that GM's response ''I'm not going to comment on that'' is merely related to his earlier statement, ''I don't want to comment too much about the investigation'' In other words he is just repeating what he had just said previously and I don't read anything particularly suspicious into what he said.

I think the more remarkable phrase from this particular interview is GM's response that, no, he didn't have any new appeal to the person who had taken Madeleine, as Hobs mentions above. I would expect a parent in this situation to want to try and reassure his daughter, and to ask, once again, for an abductor to bring his daughter home.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 31.07.14 3:43

Further, I think the following is interesting, from the same interview,

'......in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that. I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence .........'

On the surface this could simply be an appeal for people to treat others fairly (Compare to how they reacted to Mrs Fenn, Mr Amaral).

But, supposing the McCanns were involved in MM's disappearance, and that they knew that Murat wasn't, could the above also be an attempt to limit the damage to the person they were attempting to set up? In this instance they would know wouldn't they, that ultimately there would be no evidence with which to convict Murat. That eventually he would be released without charge.

There may have been three tapas members prepared to say that  they had seen him on the evening of May 3rd but I have always thought that if Murat did take MM then the last place he would be would be wandering around the Ocean Club shortly after her disappearance. JT was prepared to say she had seen him carrying MM, but without DNA evidence, what could the police do? 

It seems to me that the Murat thing, assuming the McCanns knew all along that he was innocent, would be more about buying time for themselves, don't look here, look over there. It doesn't make any logical sense to me that the tapas group would implicate Murat if he was involved in any way and was in a position to be able to give the PJ evidence against the group.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.07.14 7:24

@Research_Reader wrote:God bless Sandra Felgueiras for asking the difficult questions that the BBC has largely failed to.

I can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that RM and GM could have known one another. Luz is a veritable enclave of well-connected and well-off Brits, both as holiday makers and ex-pats. Also factor in the fact that people tend to return to the same location for holidays on multiple years and I find it very plausible that they could have been acquainted. 

I think that it is possible that they were acquainted previously - however that might have been - but don't forget that allegedly the McCanns had not been to PDL before.

There was a very early report with Kate quoted as saying the opposite - and that's why she felt it was safe to leave the children - but it was soon whooshed and may not have been correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 31.07.14 7:27

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:
@Research_Reader wrote:God bless Sandra Felgueiras for asking the difficult questions that the BBC has largely failed to.

I can't understand why some people find it so hard to believe that RM and GM could have known one another. Luz is a veritable enclave of well-connected and well-off Brits, both as holiday makers and ex-pats. Also factor in the fact that people tend to return to the same location for holidays on multiple years and I find it very plausible that they could have been acquainted. 

I think that it is possible that they were acquainted previously - however that might have been - but don't forget that allegedly the McCanns had not been to PDL before.

There was a very early report with Kate quoted as saying the opposite - and that's why she felt it was safe to leave the children - but it was soon whooshed and may not have been correct.

Are you sure that the McCanns had not been to PDL before?  At the very least, I believe that Gerry may have been there on a number of golfing trips.

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.07.14 7:41

Perhaps someone can confirm that Kate said in her book that Gerry had been to Portugal before (to play golf) but that that they as a family never had.

I seem to think (though may not be right) that his solo trips were years earlier, before the two were married.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 31.07.14 8:52

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:Perhaps someone can confirm that Kate said in her book that Gerry had been to Portugal before (to play golf) but that that they as a family never had.

I seem to think (though may not be right) that his solo trips were years earlier, before the two were married.
Page 42 of 'madeleine', by Dr Kate McCann:

"I'd never been to Portugal, although Gerry had been there on a couple of golfing trips a few years before".

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Research_Reader on 31.07.14 9:00

Yet some people think its ridiculous that GM and RM could have known one another.

Some people just seem to operate on the basis: don't bother me with the facts, I've already made my mind up!

Research_Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor on 31.07.14 9:20

Morning all

Just catching up on things from yesterday and skimming through the Cristobel / TB exchange.

Personally, having looked at both sides I find RM's actions and subsequent changes of story very suspicious. As I write, Tony has just confirmed that GM had been golfing to Portugal before. Maybe they did know each other personally, maybe not, but one thing that seems very likely is the GM knew of RM and his role.

It is possible that GM response to Sandras question, taken solely on those words, could indeed refer to some restriction on commenting on an investigation, but I find GM's choice of words quite odd if that were the case. When you watch the video of this question, and how GM squirms when asked about RM, there is no doubt IMO.

I said yesterday that RM may not have been told the full story, but the circumstances of his travel, him not then fulfilling the reason he gave for his travel (to sort out a British divorce), subsequent changes of story, and meeting with McCann lawyers strongly suggest to me;

1. RM, possibly unwittingly, was used to facilitate a cover up, and maybe as a patsy.
2. MBM met her fate prior to 1st May

I think that access to vacant properties, in light of the continual reference to 'someone who could hold the key', is significant.

IMO of course.

Carrry On Doctor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 31.07.14 9:26

There is also the very telling street interview where the same question is asked and Gerry physically turns away and walks off.
Don't have the youTube reference at the moment, but will have a look later. May have been Whooshed, of course.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rustyjames on 31.07.14 9:27

@suzyjohnson wrote:
'......in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that. I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence .........'

On the surface this could simply be an appeal for people to treat others fairly (Compare to how they reacted to Mrs Fenn, Mr Amaral).

But, supposing the McCanns were involved in MM's disappearance, and that they knew that Murat wasn't, could the above also be an attempt to limit the damage to the person they were attempting to set up? In this instance they would know wouldn't they, that ultimately there would be no evidence with which to convict Murat. That eventually he would be released without charge.

There may have been three tapas members prepared to say that  they had seen him on the evening of May 3rd but I have always thought that if Murat did take MM then the last place he would be would be wandering around the Ocean Club shortly after her disappearance. JT was prepared to say she had seen him carrying MM, but without DNA evidence, what could the police do? 

It seems to me that the Murat thing, assuming the McCanns knew all along that he was innocent, would be more about buying time for themselves, don't look here, look over there. It doesn't make any logical sense to me that the tapas group would implicate Murat if he was involved in any way and was in a position to be able to give the PJ evidence against the group.

I agree - the bit I've highlighted lept out at me when I re-read the whole transcript.

I can't imagine or recall anyone with knowledge of a possible suspect in their daughter's "abduction" who would be so compassionate to that person.

rustyjames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rustyjames on 31.07.14 9:34

@PeterMac wrote:There is also the very telling street interview where the same question is asked and Gerry physically turns away and walks off.
Don't have the youTube reference at the moment, but will have a look later.  May have been Whooshed, of course.

Is that the video at the start of this thread?  Is it not the same press interview, but cutting to the walking away appears to be an edit by the news programme?

rustyjames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor on 31.07.14 9:46

@rustyjames wrote:
@PeterMac wrote:There is also the very telling street interview where the same question is asked and Gerry physically turns away and walks off.
Don't have the youTube reference at the moment, but will have a look later.  May have been Whooshed, of course.

Is that the video at the start of this thread?  Is it not the same press interview, but cutting to the walking away appears to be an edit by the news programme?
This one ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qNhoWz0rQw&feature=related

Carrry On Doctor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.07.14 9:48

That's the same as the one on the first page.

It's the only version that I've ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor on 31.07.14 9:51

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:That's the same as the one on the first page.

It's the only version that I've ever seen.
Oops, apologies.

Yes its the only one I have ever seen too.

Carrry On Doctor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 31.07.14 9:54

@suzyjohnson wrote:'Gerry: "Errr, I don't want to comment too much about the investigation. Errr, in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that. I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence. Errr, we have been assured by the British police that the information that we get is similar to what you would expect to get at home. And, you know, we don't want too much detail. When there's real developments we want to know about them."

Sandra Felgueiras (RTP): "But did you know Robert Murat?" Gerry: "I'm not going to comment on that." (coughs, and turns his head away from the inerviewer)'

I know you can get a different impression when watching an interview but from this text, above, I would say that GM's response ''I'm not going to comment on that'' is merely related to his earlier statement, ''I don't want to comment too much about the investigation'' In other words he is just repeating what he had just said previously and I don't read anything particularly suspicious into what he said.

I think the more remarkable phrase from this particular interview is GM's response that, no, he didn't have any new appeal to the person who had taken Madeleine, as Hobs mentions above. I would expect a parent in this situation to want to try and reassure his daughter, and to ask, once again, for an abductor to bring his daughter home.
Thanks suzyjohnson,

The word "reassure" jumped off the page at me, been following this case from the start and don't recall this word being used?  Not a parent but I presume it would be one of the first words off you lips if you're child had been abducted?  You'd be desperate to let your child know that "...everything would be alright..." "....we are doing everything we can to get you back....."

Not sure this ever really happened??  Seems to be all about them being reassured, not MM?

sar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 31.07.14 9:58

Ah.. context.. excellent.

Nick Robinson (BBC): "... they have a suspect. How much information are you receiving from the police about the investigation here?"

Gerry: "Errr, I don't want to comment too much about the investigation. Errr, in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that.

I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence.

Errr, we have been assured by the British police that the information that we get is similar to what you would expect to get at home. And, you know, we don't want too much detail. When there's real developments we want to know about them."

Sandra Felgueiras (RTP): "But did you know Robert Murat?"

Gerry: "I'm not going to comment on that." (coughs)

He already said he didn't want to comment about the investigation.. so when he gets asked about someone being investigated he says "I'm not going to comment on that."

You can all read what you like into that.

I'm sure some of you will.

This absolutely does not mean he knew Robert Murat before Madeleine disappeared.

And that has been my point all along.

They had media monitoring unit and legal team well in place at this point and you can bet your life they had been briefed about what to say.

Clarence Mitchell was standing a few feet away.

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Research_Reader on 31.07.14 10:11

@BlueBag wrote:

They had media monitoring unit and legal team well in place at this point and you can bet your life they had been briefed about what to say.

PR gurus get paid so well because they can prep their clients not only on what to say, but how to say it. They know that you can turn any interview to your advantage by the way you word your responses. You can avoid looking guilty. 

Yet Gerry uses a very suspicious form of words to answer this question.

This suggests it wasn't something he'd been told to say.

Research_Reader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HelenMeg on 31.07.14 10:16

@suzyjohnson wrote:'Gerry: "Errr, I don't want to comment too much about the investigation. Errr, in general terms, terms of suspects, and I know there's been a lot of media... errm, response to that. I would say, as a family, and I hope that everyone else here treats all suspects the way that we would hope to be treated and that they are presumed innocent until someone is charged, arrested and convicted of any criminal offence. Errr, we have been assured by the British police that the information that we get is similar to what you would expect to get at home. And, you know, we don't want too much detail. When there's real developments we want to know about them."

Well I have to say I strongly disagree with your comments in the first paragraph. Sandra's question is straightforward - and not related specifically to the investigation. When you watch the video it is plain to see that GM is wrong-footed and has to think twice - before giving his 'telling' response.

A normal and reasonable response to Sandra's question would have been
1. No, I did not
2. Yes, he's an acquaintance of mine

or - if not wishing to disclose this information but having nothing to hide
3. Sorry - I cant comment any further

But he was put on the spot - and it looked very much as if he had something to hide as he then had to turn immediately away.
In addition to everything else...it looks highly suspicious that gm had a link to RM that he wished to hide.
We would not be here discussing this now if he had made a normal and reasonable response.

HelenMeg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor on 31.07.14 10:17

@Research_Reader wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:

PR gurus get paid so well because they can prep their clients not only on what to say, but how to say it. They know that you can turn any interview to your advantage by the way you word your responses. You can avoid looking guilty. 

Yet Gerry uses a very suspicious form of words to answer this question.

This suggests it wasn't something he'd been told to say.
Yes, Sandra threw him a curved ball and the manner of the response spoke volumes IMO.

Carrry On Doctor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum